Looking youger... Looking good...
You're too kind Mr GG.

Yeah, really.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:01 pm 

Jesus Cal, are you that bored?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:56 pm 

polydigm wrote:

Your avatar is visually striking, but just the same old story.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:19 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
polydigm wrote:

Your avatar is visually striking, but just the same old story.

A fight for love and glory? A case of do or die?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:15 am 

I'm too embarrassed to ask what the fuck's going on here, I've obviously completely missed the point.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:31 am 

polydigm wrote:
I'm too embarrassed to ask what the fuck's going on here, I've obviously completely missed the point.

I don't know about Calvin's agenda, but in my case...combine the 2nd half of Cal's statement, with mine, and you get some of the lyrics to "As Time Goes By" from the movie "Casablanca".

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:57 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
polydigm wrote:

I don't know about Calvin's agenda, but in my case...combine the 2nd half of Cal's statement, with mine, and you get some of the lyrics to "As Time Goes By" from the movie "Casablanca".

Having frequently watched the UK comedy As Time Goes by with that song as the theme tune you'd think I would have twigged on that one.

:roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:10 pm 

If I have to explain it, it's not funny. Well, it wasn't in the first place anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:24 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
If I have to explain it, it's not funny.
That's not the point. Personally I prefer an explanation to being left in the dark, which is worse than missing out on a laugh.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:10 pm 

polydigm wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
That's not the point. Personally I prefer an explanation to being left in the dark, which is worse than missing out on a laugh.

Somebody said in one of the movie threads that the movie Avatar was nice to look at, but the same old story.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:51 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
polydigm wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
Somebody said in one of the movie threads that the movie Avatar was nice to look at, but the same old story.
Yes, I may have shaved off the mo, but it's still the same me underneath. That doesn't necessarily make it hollow though. When we reach certain points in our lives where we assess things and give ourselves a metaphoric boot up the ass rather than just stagnating or reaffirm certain goals or whatever and mark the occasion with something that may well only be symbolic, it can have a very positive effect.

As far as Avatar is concerned, I think it's a brilliant movie. What makes a brilliant piece of music? Something that touches and moves you on a variety of levels - virtuosity, expression, ingenuity and so on - and there doesn't necessarily have to be a particular story involved let alone an unfamiliar one. It's not about the story it's about what can be brilliant in music. What makes a brilliant movie? Same again, it's not about the story it's about what can be brilliant in a movie. There is a difference, I accept, that in a movie, by virtue of the nature of the medium you can present very moving and engaging stories, but to me that's a play, that's the stage, if it really is a good story it doesn't need to be made into a movie. With the technology we have now, movies can be something else again. To me that movie was very successfully otherworldly in a spectacular manner. And the story line being predictable didn't matter - would it make for a better movie if it all ended in tears? Why does anyone watch movies in the first place? The fact that so many people got depressed after the movie is - albeit an unfortunate consequence - a testament to how well made it is.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:57 pm 

I won't joke around with you again, ever, man!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:04 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
I won't joke around with you again, ever, man!
You think my last post was a reaction to your joke? You give yourself far too much credit mate. The only thing in that post aimed at you was, "Yes, I may have shaved off the mo, but it's still the same me underneath." That is, "Your avatar is visually striking, but just the same old story." as you said. The rest of the post has nothing to do with you, I just felt like expanding on the occasion of me shaving the mo off.

I've often chuckled to myself about your joking antics on this forum and I don't have any trouble with them.

My comments about Avatar certainly have nothing to do with you other than the fact that you brought it up. I've been meaning to say something about that movie for some time as I've heard a few comments around and about recently that I don't agree with.

I assume you understand the concept of how a simple comment can trigger off some thoughts that have been brewing for a while. You certainly haven't upset me. What's the big deal? What did I say in that post that set you off?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:18 pm 

polydigm wrote:
You think my last post was a reaction to your joke? You give yourself far too much credit mate. The only thing in that post aimed at you was, "Yes, I may have shaved off the mo, but it's still the same me underneath." That is, "Your avatar is visually striking, but just the same old story." as you said. The rest of the post has nothing to do with you, I just felt like expanding on the occasion of me shaving the mo off.

I've often chuckled to myself about your joking antics on this forum and I don't have any trouble with them.

My comments about Avatar certainly have nothing to do with you other than the fact that you brought it up. I've been meaning to say something about that movie for some time as I've heard a few comments around and about recently that I don't agree with.

I assume you understand the concept of how a simple comment can trigger off some thoughts that have been brewing for a while. You certainly haven't upset me. What's the big deal? What did I say in that post that set you off?

I...I....um....I accidentally heard some Shania Twain today and was in a foul mood.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:50 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
I...I....um....I accidentally heard some Shania Twain today and was in a foul mood.

Been there, done that, got the prescription, took the pills, suffered the side-effects and then said 'fuck it!' and turned off the radio.
Dude, radio will rot your brain. :lol:

Miasma!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:08 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:15 am 

Sam I Am wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

Been there, done that, got the prescription, took the pills, suffered the side-effects and then said 'fuck it!' and turned off the radio.

But...it's catchy! Fucking radio.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:07 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Sam I Am wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

But...it's catchy! Fucking radio.
"Catchy"? Yuh, so's catarrh! :P LOL!

--Bat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:23 am 

Batchainmovie wrote:
"Catchy"? Yuh, so's catarrh! :P LOL!

--Bat

I'll bet Shania has tons of barotrauma on her, too!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:51 pm 

This is a pumpkin I carved the first year we were down here.

I'm having a tough time deciding which of the signatures I like better, the sincere Thomas Jefferson, or the snide backhanded almost cruel reality check of Adolf Hitler. Decisions, decisions...

"Whose foot is to be the measure to which ours are all to be cut or stretched? Is a priest to be our inquisitor, or shall a layman, simple as ourselves, set up his reason as the rule for what we are to read and what we must believe?" T.J.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:45 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:28 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

The best one on the Forum !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:11 am 

Someday I'll have to change my avatar, then again maybe not. I've grown accustomed to it.It looks like I'm a newspaper columnist for "The Daily Pirate" or "Deep Thoughts with Bill the Butcher"

You just don't understand, You're from Kalamazoo.