Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 13497
Location: Schools that do not teach
Looking youger... Looking good...

_________________
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true Art and Science. - Albert Einstein

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 5900
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Looking youger... Looking good...
You're too kind Mr GG.

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 14650
polydigm wrote:
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Looking youger... Looking good...
You're too kind Mr GG.


Yeah, really.

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 5900
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
Jesus Cal, are you that bored?

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 14650
polydigm wrote:
Jesus Cal, are you that bored?


Your avatar is visually striking, but just the same old story.

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 18120
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
calvin2hikers wrote:
polydigm wrote:
Jesus Cal, are you that bored?


Your avatar is visually striking, but just the same old story.

A fight for love and glory? A case of do or die?

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 5900
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
I'm too embarrassed to ask what the fuck's going on here, I've obviously completely missed the point.

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 18120
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
polydigm wrote:
I'm too embarrassed to ask what the fuck's going on here, I've obviously completely missed the point.

I don't know about Calvin's agenda, but in my case...combine the 2nd half of Cal's statement, with mine, and you get some of the lyrics to "As Time Goes By" from the movie "Casablanca".

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 5900
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
just plain doug wrote:
polydigm wrote:
I'm too embarrassed to ask what the fuck's going on here, I've obviously completely missed the point.

I don't know about Calvin's agenda, but in my case...combine the 2nd half of Cal's statement, with mine, and you get some of the lyrics to "As Time Goes By" from the movie "Casablanca".

Having frequently watched the UK comedy As Time Goes by with that song as the theme tune you'd think I would have twigged on that one.

        :roll:

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 14650
If I have to explain it, it's not funny. Well, it wasn't in the first place anyway.

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 5900
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
calvin2hikers wrote:
If I have to explain it, it's not funny.
That's not the point. Personally I prefer an explanation to being left in the dark, which is worse than missing out on a laugh.

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 14650
polydigm wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
If I have to explain it, it's not funny.
That's not the point. Personally I prefer an explanation to being left in the dark, which is worse than missing out on a laugh.


Somebody said in one of the movie threads that the movie Avatar was nice to look at, but the same old story.

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 5900
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
calvin2hikers wrote:
polydigm wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
If I have to explain it, it's not funny.
That's not the point. Personally I prefer an explanation to being left in the dark, which is worse than missing out on a laugh.
Somebody said in one of the movie threads that the movie Avatar was nice to look at, but the same old story.
Yes, I may have shaved off the mo, but it's still the same me underneath. That doesn't necessarily make it hollow though. When we reach certain points in our lives where we assess things and give ourselves a metaphoric boot up the ass rather than just stagnating or reaffirm certain goals or whatever and mark the occasion with something that may well only be symbolic, it can have a very positive effect.

As far as Avatar is concerned, I think it's a brilliant movie. What makes a brilliant piece of music? Something that touches and moves you on a variety of levels - virtuosity, expression, ingenuity and so on - and there doesn't necessarily have to be a particular story involved let alone an unfamiliar one. It's not about the story it's about what can be brilliant in music. What makes a brilliant movie? Same again, it's not about the story it's about what can be brilliant in a movie. There is a difference, I accept, that in a movie, by virtue of the nature of the medium you can present very moving and engaging stories, but to me that's a play, that's the stage, if it really is a good story it doesn't need to be made into a movie. With the technology we have now, movies can be something else again. To me that movie was very successfully otherworldly in a spectacular manner. And the story line being predictable didn't matter - would it make for a better movie if it all ended in tears? Why does anyone watch movies in the first place? The fact that so many people got depressed after the movie is - albeit an unfortunate consequence - a testament to how well made it is.

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 14650
I won't joke around with you again, ever, man!

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 5900
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
calvin2hikers wrote:
I won't joke around with you again, ever, man!
You think my last post was a reaction to your joke? You give yourself far too much credit mate. The only thing in that post aimed at you was, "Yes, I may have shaved off the mo, but it's still the same me underneath." That is, "Your avatar is visually striking, but just the same old story." as you said. The rest of the post has nothing to do with you, I just felt like expanding on the occasion of me shaving the mo off.

I've often chuckled to myself about your joking antics on this forum and I don't have any trouble with them.

My comments about Avatar certainly have nothing to do with you other than the fact that you brought it up. I've been meaning to say something about that movie for some time as I've heard a few comments around and about recently that I don't agree with.

I assume you understand the concept of how a simple comment can trigger off some thoughts that have been brewing for a while. You certainly haven't upset me. What's the big deal? What did I say in that post that set you off?

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 14650
polydigm wrote:
You think my last post was a reaction to your joke? You give yourself far too much credit mate. The only thing in that post aimed at you was, "Yes, I may have shaved off the mo, but it's still the same me underneath." That is, "Your avatar is visually striking, but just the same old story." as you said. The rest of the post has nothing to do with you, I just felt like expanding on the occasion of me shaving the mo off.

I've often chuckled to myself about your joking antics on this forum and I don't have any trouble with them.

My comments about Avatar certainly have nothing to do with you other than the fact that you brought it up. I've been meaning to say something about that movie for some time as I've heard a few comments around and about recently that I don't agree with.

I assume you understand the concept of how a simple comment can trigger off some thoughts that have been brewing for a while. You certainly haven't upset me. What's the big deal? What did I say in that post that set you off?


I...I....um....I accidentally heard some Shania Twain today and was in a foul mood.

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:24 am
Posts: 1608
Location: The Dangerous Kitchener
calvin2hikers wrote:
I...I....um....I accidentally heard some Shania Twain today and was in a foul mood.

Been there, done that, got the prescription, took the pills, suffered the side-effects and then said 'fuck it!' and turned off the radio.
Dude, radio will rot your brain. :lol:

_________________
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro - HST

Miasma!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 5900
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
calvin2hikers wrote:
I...I....um....I accidentally heard some Shania Twain today and was in a foul mood.


        :mrgreen:

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 14650
Sam I Am wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
I...I....um....I accidentally heard some Shania Twain today and was in a foul mood.

Been there, done that, got the prescription, took the pills, suffered the side-effects and then said 'fuck it!' and turned off the radio.
Dude, radio will rot your brain. :lol:


But...it's catchy! Fucking radio.

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:50 pm
Posts: 251
Location: N. of Boston, MA USA
calvin2hikers wrote:
Sam I Am wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
I...I....um....I accidentally heard some Shania Twain today and was in a foul mood.

Been there, done that, got the prescription, took the pills, suffered the side-effects and then said 'fuck it!' and turned off the radio.
Dude, radio will rot your brain. :lol:


But...it's catchy! Fucking radio.
"Catchy"? Yuh, so's catarrh! :P LOL!

--Bat

_________________
"In my lifetime I have met too many people who were educated beyond their intelligence."-Arthur C. Clark http://www.suppressedscience.net Image ArtWerk:DebutanteDaisy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 14650
Batchainmovie wrote:
"Catchy"? Yuh, so's catarrh! :P LOL!

--Bat


I'll bet Shania has tons of barotrauma on her, too!

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:21 pm
Posts: 590
Image
This is a pumpkin I carved the first year we were down here.

I'm having a tough time deciding which of the signatures I like better, the sincere Thomas Jefferson, or the snide backhanded almost cruel reality check of Adolf Hitler. Decisions, decisions...

_________________
"Whose foot is to be the measure to which ours are all to be cut or stretched? Is a priest to be our inquisitor, or shall a layman, simple as ourselves, set up his reason as the rule for what we are to read and what we must believe?" T.J.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 13497
Location: Schools that do not teach
Image

_________________
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true Art and Science. - Albert Einstein

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:30 pm
Posts: 8560
Location: Windsor,Ontario Canada
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Image


The best one on the Forum !

_________________
I'm not Antisocial,Society is Anti me !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:54 pm
Posts: 5067
Location: Birthplace of Grand Funk Railroad & Mr Don Preston
Someday I'll have to change my avatar, then again maybe not. I've grown accustomed to it.It looks like I'm a newspaper columnist for "The Daily Pirate" or "Deep Thoughts with Bill the Butcher"

Image

_________________
*********************************************************************

You just don't understand, You're from Kalamazoo.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group