Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Overtone singing
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:17 am 

I was browsing through "Overtone Singing", by Mark Tongeren and he mentions that Frank had invited some visiting Tuvan Throat Singers over to his studio and had recorded them. If true, was there any specific tuvan style that he was interested in? Also, did he do any compositional work with the recordings on the synclavier?

In addition to the Tuvan singers, did he also have interest in overtone singing of other cultures such as that of Sardinia?

Did attention to emphasis on overtones in acoustic space figure into the design of the 6 channel sound system he pioneered for the yellow shark performances with Ensemble Modern?

Ecuatorial

Post subject: Re: Overtone singing
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:12 am 

Ecuatorial wrote:
Also, did he do any compositional work with the recordings on the synclavier?

Yep, one track => Dio Fa on Civilization Phaze 3.
This could be khoomeii or something else. I guess you should verify this by yourself.

Post subject: Re: throat singing
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:42 pm 

Ecuatorial wrote:
Also, did he do any compositional work with the recordings on the synclavier?
Maroual wrote:
Yep, one track => Dio Fa on Civilization Phaze 3

the throat singer on 'dio fa' was not credited on civilization phaze iii.
however, his name is kaigal-ool khovalyg. he's a member of the tuvan group huun-huur-tu.

Ecuatorial wrote:
In addition to the Tuvan singers, did he also have interest in overtone singing of other cultures such as that of Sardinia?

Quote:
dm: what about music from africa? do you ever listen to the tribal stuff?

fz: yeah. I've heard it, but I'm... a lot of people are fascinated by the rhythm, but the rhythm of it is not so exciting to me. I'm not as interested in african music as l am in bulgarian or sardinian or indian music. I think a lot of people listen to african music and want to consume it in the same way that they would consume a u.s. drum machine record. that fancy constant rhythm. and my taste in rhythm goes in other directions.

mg: didn't you attend a concert of the bulgarian women when they came here? did you meet them?

fz: it was a fairly frightening experience. they take a few musicians along with them. there's a guy who plays some kind of a drum-like thing or guitar-like thing but it looked to me like these guys were bulgarian kgb, like they were watchdogs for the group. they had the special look, the black leather coat. and they were hanging out backstage, and when it was done, after the concert, the girls were in the dressing room. they were kind of lined up in a formal reception thing and we got to come in and say hello, and then we were ushered out. you couldn't really have any communication with them.

fz interview 1992

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:42 am 

I always thought the Crab-Grass Baby on Thing-Fish was done with bits of the Tuvan singers put together so it would sound like it does, anyone knows if that's the case?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:07 pm 

patacon wrote:
I always thought the Crab-Grass Baby on Thing-Fish was done with bits of the Tuvan singers put together so it would sound like it does, anyone knows if that's the case?

It's was the first time he used the Synclavier. But I don't know about sounding like the singers.

Post subject: re: overtone singing
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:20 pm 

tuvan/irish:

http://vimeo.com/5619494

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:33 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
patacon wrote:

It's was the first time he used the Synclavier. But I don't know about sounding like the singers.

To put to put to rest the "how did he do that?" thread regarding the voice of the crabgrass baby from "Thing Fish":
Keyboard Magazine February 1987 page 69-
Q: Was Francesco the first thing you had done with the Synclavier?
FZ: No, the first thing I did with the Synclavier is on Thing-Fish. Listen to the "Crabgrass Baby" track, which opens up Act II. The background vocals are a repeated vocal chant with this computer voice singing over it. The computer voice is done with a little card that fits into an IBM computer, and the stereo background vocals were our first attempt at stereo sampling using the mono system.
(I found it here, but not sure what it means)

Post subject: Re: overtone singing
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:49 pm 

patacon wrote:
To put to put to rest the "how did he do that?" thread regarding the voice of the crabgrass baby from "Thing Fish":
Keyboard Magazine February 1987 page 69-
Q: Was Francesco the first thing you had done with the Synclavier?
FZ: No, the first thing I did with the Synclavier is on Thing-Fish. Listen to the "Crabgrass Baby" track, which opens up Act II. The background vocals are a repeated vocal chant with this computer voice singing over it. The computer voice is done with a little card that fits into an IBM computer, and the stereo background vocals were our first attempt at stereo sampling using the mono system.
(I found it here, but not sure what it means)
yeah, no overtone or 'throat'-singing on 'crab-grass baby.' all computerized.
which would be pretty obvious if you really listen to it.

Post subject: Re: re: overtone singing
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:31 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:

fantastic.
also; of course, this one: http://vimeo.com/5690482
awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:46 am 

I'm pretty sure the guys Frank had over for the big jam session with Johnny Guitar Watson, and The Chieftains were Huun Huur Tu
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huun-Huur-Tu