Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: The Worst Zappa Album?
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:35 am 

What zappa album do you find the worst?
In my opinion it's
:P

Last edited by Fido on Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:30 am 

I'm not a fan of You Are What You Is. I don't have much use for Cruisin either.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:41 am 

Fido wrote:
I don't know if i can ask it here but..
What zappa album do you find the worst?
In my opinion it's
:P

so... you're going to tell me that you listen to Francesco more than TR??

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:24 am 

Quote:
so... you're going to tell me that you listen to Francesco more than TR??

I don't listen to Francesco either.
I don't like most of his releases in the 80's, except for "Jazz From Hell" and his live albums :|

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:53 am 

Technically the worst is probably the CD of The Man From Utopia. The sound isn't very good, some of the vocals are dreadful and three Sprechgesang titles is way too much for 40 minutes.
Personally I have a grudge with YAWYI, which I have twice and which I can't listen to without having a headache.
I love TTR, and I think Francesco is cute but it serves more as interesting sonic evidence displaying the early development of the Synclavier, or as premiere recording of this composer, than as audio entertainment.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:41 pm 

There is no worst one, it's all opinion. But I find both Franceso and CPIII to be complete bores.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:44 pm 

Francesco, Man From Utopia and the remix versions of Money and Cruisin' for me

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:24 pm 

But, uh.... TTR is live.

http://www.last.fm/music/fowl
http://www.deezer.com/en/#music/fowl
Your mental health requires buying my cd

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:30 pm 

Quote:
But, uh.... TTR is live.

Well, I don't like it. :mrgreen:

Quote:
There is no worst one, it's all opinion. But I find both Franceso and CPIII to be complete bores.

I find CPIII quite interesting, although it is very hard to me to hear it in one piece.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:36 am 

After an intense listening session last Dec 21st, when I played it from start to finish over headphones whilst sitting on the floor in front of the stereo, concentrating on nothing but the music and getting in a Zappic trance, I'm convinced once more and even stronger that CP3 is a masterpiece.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:56 am 

For me it would be TMFU or WOIIFTM-my disc (the twofer from the early nineties is dull). I don't have Lumpy Money for comparison with a good one. I just don't like it. It always seems like a chore to sit through.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:30 am 

With FZ albums I definitely have favourites and I certainly have others that get less air time, as for worst.....no.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:57 am 

BBP wrote:
Technically the worst is probably the CD of The Man From Utopia. The sound isn't very good, some of the vocals are dreadful and three Sprechgesang titles is way too much for 40 minutes.
Personally I have a grudge with YAWYI, which I have twice and which I can't listen to without having a headache.

Sign me up for The Man From Utopia too. It has a few great songs, a few so-so songs, and a few of his absolute worst (I'm looking at you, "Jazz Discharge Party Hats").

I like You Are What You Is, but I can understand how its aggressively overstuffed and over-the-top production can be grating for some people. Plus, I don't really understand why Frank speed so many of the songs up. The Crush All Boxes versions of those songs sound much better to me.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:08 am 

Definitely Francesco. But well, it is not Frank's music. So perhaps it shouldn't count. CPIII would be great if it wasn't for all the talking. The talking is great on LG, but on CPIII it strikes me as downright annoying. It's the reason I seldom listen to the music, unfortunately. So, CPIII is a candidate. Utopia has some very good tracks, so I wont choose that.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:04 am 

i really don't like sleep dirt. not the whole album, but the songs with the female vocals are terrible. thats why i have Lather

and actually, i'm just not a fan of zappa after bongo fury. i do like joe's garage though.

A '55 Chevy that his brother just stoled

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:21 pm 

BBP wrote:
After an intense listening session last Dec 21st, when I played it from start to finish over headphones whilst sitting on the floor in front of the stereo, concentrating on nothing but the music and getting in a Zappic trance, I'm convinced once more and even stronger that CP3 is a masterpiece.

8)

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:25 am 

I have changed my mind - *TTR* isn't that bad, but it still isn't one of my favorites.
Quote:
i really don't like sleep dirt. not the whole album, but the songs with the female vocals are terrible. thats why i have Lather
I agree. the vocals on sleep dirt are terrible, but as an instrumental album it is great.

Last edited by Fido on Sun May 30, 2010 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 5:47 am 

madcow1515 wrote:

I like You Are What You Is, but I can understand how its aggressively overstuffed and over-the-top production can be grating for some people. Plus, I don't really understand why Frank speed so many of the songs up. The Crush All Boxes versions of those songs sound much better to me.

Not sure if the speedup on YAWYI was intentional. The amount varies - side four is closer to correct pitch than the rest. SUNPYG was also sped up in the original vinyl version (and the 90's Ryko CD, but not the 80's CD).

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:13 am 

I used to have every single zappa cd and i got rid of alot of em and i felt ok about it, i just stopped listening to all of em, after listening since 1984, you kinda get tired...

the only ones i really treasure these days are
Sheik and Tinseltown (EMI versions, though i still havent found the "New" proper Ryko TTR yet..)
Shut Up (original ryko 2cd edition)
Donna You Wanna CD

wish they would just make a giant box set and give us the original "Chalk Pie" album and "Warts And All" complete....for them to sit on that suicide chump still blows me away...

but i recently got Philly 76 and im happy with it for the most part and Buffalo 80 blows my away....i love that mix...

but would love a box set of all unissed stuff, in order as well.

worst that i really didnt listen to and wondered what all the fuss was about was Civilization Phase III. took me eons to finish that one...i get the concept, but just doesnt flow...

end rant.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:18 am 

You don't have GW or Hot Rats on the keep list?

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:30 am 

Fido wrote:
I have changed my mind - TTS isn't that bad, but it still isn't one of my favorites.

You mean, Tinseltown Rebellion, right? I think it's kind of a frustrating listen. It's got some great stuff on it (Young Sophisticate, Pick Me, Brown Shoes), but then it has that stupid, obnoxious audience stuff on it (Panty Rap, Dance Contest). It's been a while since I've given it a spin though. Maybe it's time to give it another go.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:44 am 

Fido wrote:
I have changed my mind - TTS isn't that bad, but it still isn't one of my favorites.
Quote:
I agree. the vocals on sleep dirt are terrible, but as an instrumental album it is great.

Sleep Dirt is essential in both versions IMO. I see why you like the instrumental LP more, and I sure wouldn't mind having a reissue of the original. But the worst thing about the CD is the wackermanized Regyptian Strut, and that can be avoided if you find a Barking Pumpkin cassette or a first edition CD.

Hunchentoot clues and a the mock philosophy of Time is Money make the vocal overdubs worthwhile. And Thana Harris is way better than her rep, if you ask me.

So there - that's my little heresy.

Tinseltown Rebellion? So-so, and Buffalo is way better.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:11 am 

Dark Clothes wrote:
Fido wrote:
Quote:

Sleep Dirt is essential in both versions IMO. I see why you like the instrumental LP more, and I sure wouldn't mind having a reissue of the original. But the worst thing about the CD is the wackermanized Regyptian Strut, and that can be avoided if you find a Barking Pumpkin cassette or a first edition CD.

Hunchentoot clues and a the mock philosophy of Time is Money make the vocal overdubs worthwhile. And Thana Harris is way better than her rep, if you ask me.

So there - that's my little heresy.

Tinseltown Rebellion? So-so, and Buffalo is way better.

I'm with you but am a hardcore heretic. I find Flambay, Time Is Money, and Spider of Destiny to be sort of boring as instrumentals, and LOVE the Thana Harris Vocals. LIKE LOVE THEM. They are my own personal Celine Dion! My biggest wish of unreleased (or rather unrecorded) Zappa would be the complete Hunchentoot saga. I sooooo wish!

http://www.last.fm/music/fowl
http://www.deezer.com/en/#music/fowl
Your mental health requires buying my cd

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:35 am 

madcow1515 wrote:
Fido wrote:

You mean, Tinseltown Rebellion, right? I think it's kind of a frustrating listen. It's got some great stuff on it (Young Sophisticate, Pick Me, Brown Shoes), but then it has that stupid, obnoxious audience stuff on it (Panty Rap, Dance Contest). It's been a while since I've given it a spin though. Maybe it's time to give it another go.

"Easy Meat" has one of FZ's best solos. (The alternate solo on Crush All Boxes is also great although in a much more restrained way.)

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:47 am 

pbuzby wrote:
madcow1515 wrote:

Not sure if the speedup on YAWYI was intentional. The amount varies - side four is closer to correct pitch than the rest. SUNPYG was also sped up in the original vinyl version (and the 90's Ryko CD, but not the 80's CD).

Sheik Yerbouti is also speed(sped) up Bob brown and Yo mama seem too be correct pitch though 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next