Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:21 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Maroual wrote:
Even if you're using Replay Gain with the album-gain option which does not destroy the sound and respect an average volume at the whole album scale, I do not clearly understand why it is so hard to adjust the volume manually.
Because hitting the "shuffle" button across multiple albums will drive you insane.
Whoops, I thought Maroual's original comment was about the compression thing. You guys are talking about uniform volume across a player session. I usually only listen to albums on my iPod, so it's not an issue for me.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:45 pm 

Anyway, I got sidetracked. I'm stuck in hospital at the moment and my daughter brought this in to me the other day after it arrived in the post. It's a fantastic little package. I have no missing notes at the beginning. The extended mix Stuff Up The Cracks is a real plus, but all the bonus stuff is cool. On the sound quality discussion front, there is definitely something not quite right with the bass drum on Love Of My Life, but that could just be the limitations of my current listening setup.

None the less, I think the ZFT has done a great job on this package, I like it a lot. It was a real treat when it arrived in my lap the other day.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:34 pm 

Hello Folks, long time no see

Ordered Greasy Ruben & Philly: April 21st, received: May 12th

Not bad delivery time as I'm located at the bottom of the world

Great to get some new old FZ to listen to

Post subject: Re: mp3gain
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:00 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
I normalize all of my mp3 audio library with Album Gain (not Track Gain but Album Gain) at 92db via MP3Gain - highly recommended!

yes, I use mp3gain too. it's great. and free!

:arrow: mac mp3gain (works for me)
:arrow: mp3gain for pc (don't know about this one, but, I suppose it works...)

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:42 am 

Been away for a while -- glad to see that nothing has changed with the Olde ZFT Agenda - this is a $21 disk with a $15 transatlantic p&p tag, right? - this is $36 for one CD, right? - which has the loudness disease all over the place, right? -- Forget it -- 8)

Must hope for a secondhand chance find sometime around 2014.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:16 pm 

buffalo_voice wrote:
Been away for a while -- glad to see that nothing has changed with the Olde ZFT Agenda - this is a $21 disk with a $15 transatlantic p&p tag, right? - this is $36 for one CD, right? - which has the loudness disease all over the place, right? -- Forget it -- 8)

Must hope for a secondhand chance find sometime around 2014.

So things are looking up then!

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:00 am 

:lol:

The release is good nonetheless, those of us who listen through cheap components are pleased with it.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:56 am 

Yes, this release is a must-have. It has no pops and clicks, no drum'n'bass, a nice packaging and bonus tracks. However I will just not throw away my good old elpee and the digital transfer I made from it.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:36 am 

so... how many of us have the defective pressings so far? I really would like mine replaced.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:23 pm 

email them and replace it

TCB

A '55 Chevy that his brother just stoled

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:12 pm 

I love the horrible screeching voice on the early version of Valarie. Cracks me up every time! You can hear that same voice on side two of 'Tis the Season to be Jelly. I wonder who that is? Motorhead maybe?

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:35 am 

tweezers wrote:
:lol:

The release is good nonetheless, those of us who listen through cheap components are pleased with it.

Ya! It's great on mono or that cheezy ex-tra + sound.
Did anyone else get the fact that the more your hands & fingers touch that material it just makes it look really greasy...so your CD's cover actually looks greasy? Thats kool man! Some one noticed I'm sure. 8)

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:43 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Did anyone else get the fact that the more your hands & fingers touch that material it just makes it look really greasy...so your CD's cover actually looks greasy? Thats kool man! Some one noticed I'm sure. 8)

Well, I noticed I left some fingerprints on it.
And IMO this was kind of ugly, so I cleaned it gently and now I handle it with caution.
Yes, I am a bit maniac.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:14 am 

Maroual wrote:
Well, I noticed I left some fingerprints on it.
And IMO this was kind of ugly, so I cleaned it gently and now I handle it with caution.
Yes, I am a bit maniac.

DIDJA GET ANY ONYA?
Best use the nakkin. :mrgreen:

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

Post subject: re: ruben after 40 - out
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:25 pm 

a decent album, led to a rediscovery of ruben and moving it off my least-played fz albums list

biggest winj; the original musicians aren't given credit on the cd package, just a small easy-to-loose card insert .... kinda lame

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:50 pm 

Rolling Stone gave it 4 stars and a good review. I know it doesn't matter to most, but if a few people who believe in those ratings buy a few more copies, then that wouldn't be bad.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:11 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Rolling Stone gave it 4 stars and a good review. I know it doesn't matter to most, but if a few people who believe in those ratings buy a few more copies, then that wouldn't be bad.

Rolling Stone has actually been fairly kind to the recent archival releases. I don't think I've seen them give less than four stars to any of the ones I've seen. I guess David Fricke is a fan.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:56 pm 

There's a review of Greasy Love Songs in De Volkskrant today. 4/5.

Quote:
Early, shatteringly expensive Zappa
Frank Zappa: Greasy Love Songs. Zappa Records
[i]Cruising with Ruben And THe Jets[/j] was Frank Zappa's 1968 way of outing his love for 50s doowop. Of all records Zappa released with the Mothers of Invention in the sixties, it was by far the most accessible, even if many fans had trouble with the comletely un-ironical way in which Zappa treated the r&b-genre.
The Zappa heirs have released the album in the original stereo-mix for the first time since 1968, on a highly expensive edition in the series Anniversary FZ Audio Documentaries. The beautiful original cover is replaced by an ugly shiy thing, and the bonustracks are hardly special. But how beautiful the original thirteen songs sound. Of all early Zappa's this is still the record with the largest turnability, that makes you pay more than thirty euros with a sigh.
-Gijsbert Kramer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:30 am 

Ordered Greasy Love Songs and Lumpy Money from Barfko Swill a couple of days ago. I got an e-mail yesterday saying it's been shipped. How long does it usually take for the package to be delivered? I live in Sweden.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:36 am 

SonofSuzyCreamcheese wrote:
Ordered Greasy Love Songs and Lumpy Money from Barfko Swill a couple of days ago. I got an e-mail yesterday saying it's been shipped. How long does it usually take for the package to be delivered? I live in Sweden.

Can't answer that, but these guys are closer to you, so you may wanna check 'em out before further ordering from the States.

http://gandsmusic.com/
Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:30 am 

OK, thanks for the advice! :)

Still no sign om my order. :(

EDIT: Oh god, after reading this thread through, I really fucking hate the Trendmongo.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:42 am 

OK, thanks for the advice! :)

Still no sign om my order. :(

EDIT: Oh god, after reading this thread through, I really fucking hate the Trendmongo.

He needs to die in a fire.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:35 am 

I got the package today! AMAZING STUFF! :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:41 am 

There seems to be something wrong with the two last tracks on GLS, Secret Greasing and Love of My Life. It sounds as if the CD is full of scratches, because it jumps a lot. Don't see anything wrong on the CD's surface though...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:17 pm 

There seems to be something wrong with the two last tracks on GLS, Secret Greasing and Love of My Life. It sounds as if the CD is full of scratches, because it jumps a lot. Don't see anything wrong on the CD's surface though...

Hm... Now it's only the last track that's acting weird... on my computer. It plays all fine in my stereo.
Fuck!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next