Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:11 am 

Dude you are either trying to be funny or you just do not know, but Peter Green wrote Black Magic woman, go buy the album English Rose.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:15 am 

just plain doug wrote:
I hit the ground running in 1954. I was in Trinidad from 1967 to late 1970, and no-one (even me) knew of Zappa or MOI. Back in Canadian high school ('71 to '73), Zappa/Beefheart was only listened to by the fringe crowd (all 4 or 5 of them). The Fillmore East album, turning up at a party, was considered..... tasting of the Dark Side. Something naughty and rebellious.
I wound up with the fringe crowd due to my shoulder-length hair and odd dress sense. (my previous school was uniforms+traditionally short hair. I over-indulged in my new found "freedom"), so had my taste for MOI bostered by them....and also by the disdain shown Zappa by the straight members of the student body. (Hey, if I'm going to be on the fringe, I'm going to be all the way out there! :) )

So you called any vegatable...and a vegatable responded to you. 8)
Same sorta thing here.Others had the BeaTles & Stones,and I had MOI.Then FZ & the Mothers with Flo & Eddie then ..........with so many albums I could brag about FZ's prowness on the guitar god folks,while pushing his composition skills on the classical-jazz crowd.Most folks I know from the non-Zappa world,alot do have a favorite FZ song,or can name and sing,parts of,several FZ songs 8)
jpd....What kind of music flowed down that way,Trinadad way man,`tween 67 late 70? I was outta' HS in`71, born same year as you dec.20/......Way different HS credits in Trinadad & Canada than US? Hell,I had an AA in drama,BA in BS and a PH.D from PHI-ZAPPA-KRAPPA before you got outta' HS? :? :mrgreen: LOL?

Born in SF,been called a hippie part of my life,before it was just plain hip.Ya dig? To many phreaks thought they could find nirvana here at once. I dug the music and some one said; Music is the Best!
Now,were they the dirty sicko's? Or was it the fools in bus tours snappin' pictures at there own sons and daughters of america and the world? Hmmm.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:30 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
...jpd....What kind of music flowed down that way,Trinadad way man,`tween 67 late 70? ...

Mostly calypso, and tunes by local combo's. There was an import shop, though, and they did get "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vidda" in...but I never met anyone, there, who bought it. British groups were more common than American...what with T&T being a former colony.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:35 pm 

I was born in 1951 and happened to be living in the East Village (NYC) in 1967. I remember Frank and the Mothers were at the Garrick Theater for the entire summer. Sometime in June my brother visited and we dropped acid and went to the show. Cost $3.50 I believe. They played 3 shows daily so we went to the first and stayed through until the end. :wink:

Frank would get audience members to join them on the stage and wind up getting them to do some really funny and outrageous stuff. :o

One day I was panhandling on Macdougal St and say Ray Collins on the opposite side of the street. I hurried over to that side and asked him if he had any spare change. (what an idiot I was, no?) well, he did give me a dime!

That was also the summer that the Fugs were in a theater on Macdougal. Good old Tuli Kupferberg!

That summer was wild. We also had Cream at the Cafe Au Go Go for $10 (Fresh Cream had just come out) as well as the Beatles released their Sgt. Peppers album. I have always wondered where those flashbacks are that they promised us, for taking acid....

DR

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:33 am 

rigacci wrote:
I was born in 1951 and happened to be living in the East Village (NYC) in 1967. I remember Frank and the Mothers were at the Garrick Theater for the entire summer. Sometime in June my brother visited and we dropped acid and went to the show. Cost $3.50 I believe. They played 3 shows daily so we went to the first and stayed through until the end. :wink:

Frank would get audience members to join them on the stage and wind up getting them to do some really funny and outrageous stuff. :o

One day I was panhandling on Macdougal St and say Ray Collins on the opposite side of the street. I hurried over to that side and asked him if he had any spare change. (what an idiot I was, no?) well, he did give me a dime!

That was also the summer that the Fugs were in a theater on Macdougal. Good old Tuli Kupferberg!

That summer was wild. We also had Cream at the Cafe Au Go Go for $10 (Fresh Cream had just come out) as well as the Beatles released their Sgt. Peppers album. I have always wondered where those flashbacks are that they promised us, for taking acid....

DR

Born in`54,didn't see MOI`till Fillmore west`68,the band play was tight,it was late at night, for this little rogue juvenile,and thats the end of the story! Honest dad!
Around the SF bay area at the time I got the chance to hear and see alot of the west coast bands,who would tour and bring back bands from all over the world.SF is the cultural billabong of music,love,life,and the world streaming by.
I was lucky to see Janis,Jim,Jimi,M.Bloomfield,P.Butterfield,and many of the greats that have gone on to the play the perfect note.
So many of the musicians,that either backed up or wrote the music of the 50-60's+sound are still playing here or their on tour.
Speaking of the 60's,Im' going to see Kinky Friedman & 2 of the original Texas Jewboys.
Aug 6th,The Palms,Winters CA.Ya'll remember thier big hit,with a bullet,
"They Don't Make Jews Like Jesus Anymore" or Kinky Friedman! 8) :D
I am so jealous of the those Garrick shows.I could be having a flashback! You lucky son of a gun.8)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:39 am 

Donut evan thunk about it,and out with `airy So watch him post and follow me.Where you alive in the 60's? No so don't follow me here,your on IgNore,you boor.BYE

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:32 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Donut evan thunk about it,and out with `airy So watch him post and follow me.Where you alive in the 60's? No so don't follow me here,your on IgNore,you boor.BYE

I remember seeing KK on some TV show in the early 60s doing the "BRISTOL STOMP" and really really enjoying himself! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qdHY5sy-Lw
When they do the Bristol Stomp"

On the live performance of Gary U.S. Bonds' "Seven Day Weekend" found on Johnny Thunders' live soundtrack album Stations of the Cross, Walter Lure begins singing the chorus of the song, playing on the fact that the two songs share the same chord sequence. Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention covered the song as part of a medley, performed in Sweden in 1967 (officially released on Tis The Season To Be Jelly, Beat the Boots series, FOO-EE Records).

The song was covered in 1979 by British band The Late Show.[3]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:52 pm 

So Archie's gotta weigh in,just another one who never saw FZ live.
I don't even care what the freedom hole people say. I wish they would ignore me to.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:55 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
So Archie's gotta weigh in,just another one who never saw FZ live.

Aw Gee Kapt.... I thought you knew that I saw FZ live 7 times between 74 and 84!
My fav was the 1980 band OK?
I remember as a kid hearing my parents hippy friends playing WOITFTM in the 60s so there...their!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:58 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
I wish they would ignore me to.

Dear Kapt...we will never ever ignore you .....you are much to interesting a person to do that to....your writings are required reading at the Freedom Ranch Compound School :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:22 am 

For me the 60's had rock becoming very fun, but mostly a great decade for jazz, Buddy Rich, Maynard Ferguson, Selim Savid, and of course all the great jazz/rock, Coliseum, Cold Blood.....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:44 pm 

I liked the 60'ss, I was young and life was good, ignorance is bliss.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:44 pm 

Everything I ever needed to know,I learned in the 60's. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:05 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K36xP4I4gZo

the first phings on hiSpacin' late nigh', earl' morn'. Just anuwwer such comet and the heavy teams could find themselves in some serious shallow sloppy pretty p'ligh'. You have the bridge Tom, eh righ'.

..where could one have a tun of tonic? Cosmic Speak-Easy? all sensors on blurfaect so to say, your words. ...wo'? a wobbling-bEarth-of-Ozprey? don't get it, what about an emp, a phunder-roll and a fibbin contrived fable with all intricacies how we boarded that wingless vehicle and all we found's been so old-school. ...i daresay, you might tell it to some t'rrific earthleangs. ...while we will be having a lil lol. Yo-eh

Last edited by Sabretoophairy on Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:27 pm 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
For me the 60's had rock becoming very fun, but mostly a great decade for jazz, Buddy Rich, Maynard Ferguson, Selim Savid, and of course all the great jazz/rock, Coliseum, Cold Blood.....

I was lucky to see Buddy Rich with "Ten Years Later" as Buddy introduced "Ten Years After", at the Fillmore west.It was about the time when Ginger Baker was the King of drums.
Man,Buddy put them all to shame.Yes Moonie too,and Terry Bozio isn't even in the running.Harsh,but true.His only equil was Gene Krupa,IMHO.
I saw Lidia Pence & Cold Blood,then and now,well 2yrs ago also.Kissed her on her birthday once or twice.Then and now. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:14 am 

Zappa's still underground (no sick pun intended); always was and probably always will be, sadly.
Does that answer the initial question? It's my answer to the initial question.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:42 am 

siva-pariah wrote:
Zappa's still underground (no sick pun intended); always was and probably always will be, sadly.
Does that answer the initial question? It's my answer to the initial question.

Nah, he's not still underground; if you're on SNL 3 times, you can't be underground. He was in the beginning though...... Those were cool times for FZ fans.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:48 pm 

I suppose it's all dependent upon how underground is defined. I've always seen Frank as an underground artist mainly because he's still relatively unknown to a majority of people. He never really had a hit single, so far as I'm aware (Valley Girl came close, perhaps).

But he certainly could fill a concert hall. He's definitely not unknown or some well-guarded secret, so I do see what you mean.