Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Zappa in 5.1 ?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:23 am 

Will there be Zappa titles remixed to 5.1 surround sound?

Steven Wilson (of Porcupine Tree) is eager to hear 'Joe's Garage' in 5.1
(see: http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/featur ... page2.html )

His 5.1 mixes for his own work are fantastic and if you've heard the three recently released 5.1 mixes of the King Crimson titles ('In the court of the Crimson King', 'Lizard' and 'Red') that he has done, you'd wish Steven Wilson would be given the opportunity to take on 'Joe's Garage' !!

Post subject: Re: Zappa in 5.1 ?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:55 am 

Baby Snakes is 5.1 surround sound
Live Transmissions DTS
Halloween DVD-A/DTS.

I prefer to listen in stereo though,neighbors.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:16 pm 

I think surround sound is a bunch of bullshit. You only have two ears and since when are you surrounded by the musicians when you go see them live? Ok for a movie I can see it but to re mix albums that is bunk.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:52 pm 

Huck_Phlem wrote:
I think surround sound is a bunch of bullshit. You only have two ears and since when are you surrounded by the musicians when you go see them live? Ok for a movie I can see it but to re mix albums that is bunk.

Yeah, I think 5.1 albums are cool in theory, but it just doesn't seem very practical to me. For movies, it's great because you're sitting in one place--in the middle of the "sound stage" or whatever it's called--for the full 90 minutes where you can properly experience the subtleties of the surround mix. However, when I'm listening to an album, I don't necessarily want to anchor myself to the sofa in the middle of my living room for the entirety of a whole album, so the whole experience would be lost on me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:06 am 

Huck_Phlem wrote:

Yes, we only have two ears. Years ago I owned a sound card which had a demo of "3D holographic sound" using HRTF. With this demo, it was possible to hear in front and behind as well as above and below. Yet, I don't know if there are any silly surround systems that require to put speakers in the floor and ceiling. Maybe one day...
Now I know nobody agrees, but regarding music, I kind of think the same about stereo. I rarely feel a big difference between mono and stereo records, barely a slight improvement. When I close my eyes, it still doesn't look like there are real musicians in my living room. And that doesn't matter, because I only care about the music itself.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:10 am 

More often than not anything that is "surround sound" gets played on cheap little tiny speakers or "surrounds" and sound like shit! and then they over use their goddamn subwoofer. it's an awful mess I think. Just buy two really nice speakers and get your self a vintage solid state receiver off epay and be done wˆ†h it for fuck sake.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:57 am 

Huck_Phlem wrote:
More often than not anything that is "surround sound" gets played on cheap little tiny speakers or "surrounds" and sound like shit! and then they over use their goddamn subwoofer. it's an awful mess I think. Just buy two really nice speakers and get your self a vintage solid state receiver off epay and be done wˆ†h it for fuck sake.

Yes and the over use of the subwoofer is by principle worse in Dolby Digital.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:50 am 

http://www.sweetwater.com/feature/video ... filipetti/

Frank Filipetti talks zappa 5.1

What concert is he talking about,my dub room special pcm Stereo.
Could it be A Token Of His Extreme As they are going too show the full Movie at the Roundhouse London :idea:

Edit Damm the time he was working on ATOHE was 4 years ago at the least
http://www.united-mutations.com/f/frank_filipetti.htm

:twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:02 am 

5.1 with a five speaker system sounds pretty damned good. It fills the room immaculately if you have the speakers set up proper and you're sitting in the centre of it all.
Stereo can't compete and just doesn't sound anywhere near it.
It's all in the quality of your system and the configuration of your speakers.

I'm all for 5.1 remixes. Dey done gone and made dem soundin' some extrapekchal wit some attenshum doo to yo' consideratin' of da configoratin'.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:20 am 

siva-pariah wrote:
It's all in the quality of your system and the configuration of your speakers.

Maybe the source does matter a little bit too, and I am not aware of any FZ album available as a lossless Blu-ray Disc.
As well, I am not sure that 5.1 QuAUDIOPHILIAc is obviously better than 2.0 Apostrophe (') due to the lossy compression, dynamic range compression and clipping involved since the Loudness War has begun.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:29 pm 

Hey all........... :shock:

Maybe you message boarders haven't been to a Floyd show for so many years, you forget what surround sound can really do for a musical performance.............

If done well, it easily adds another dimension to an already incredibly complex and fantastic musical experience.................

Photon............ :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:36 am 

siva-pariah wrote:

Biggest line of bull I have ever heard.
Maybe you and Julian Hirsch should write a book together.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:00 am 

All this talk about 5.1. reminds me of Magic Alex...

"When the Beatles left Twickenham Studios [after the rehearsals for "Let it Be"] to begin recording at Savile Row, they discovered the results of Alex’s attempt at creating a recording studio, and George Harrison was later to aptly term it “the biggest disaster of all time.” Unfortunately, Alex did not know the first thing about making an actual studio, and it showed. “If you’d had a few Revoxes you’d have done better,” said John Dunbar, noting the purchases Alex had made at Apple’s expense. “He’d charge them thousands and buy the stuff second-hand.” Not only had Alex installed sixteen small speakers to falsely mimic a sixteen-track recording studio, the room itself was without soundproofing, and he had built the studio beside the central-heating unit for the building, rendering any possible recordings useless with the voluminous amount of noise the machine generated. To top it all off, there were no ports connecting the studio and the control room, so it was impossible for sound emanating from the microphones to get to the mixing desk. Everything was taken apart and the Beatles asked George Martin to borrow a four-track mixing console from EMI. Martin himself became so annoyed over the fact that the Beatles had not listened to reason and had fallen for Alex’s impossible promises that he distanced himself from the current project named Get Back, and left much of the producing to engineer Glyn Johns."

http://www.lucyintheweb.net/lucy/forum/ ... f2ef633a50

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:09 am 

I have surround downstairs where I listen to only music. It's just like anything else, if it's done well it can enhance the listening experience, but it's not the be all and end all over stereo.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:57 am 

5.1 is a improvement on too speakers for Movies imho as for Music can't see the point i would had bougbt 5.1 years ago 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:42 am 

Why ain't there a Wiki page! with 2.1,too speakers + 1 subwoofer that is.Ok for Music crap for Movie though.
like Frank Filipetti said 5.1 for a six peace band,what if it's a five piece band unplug 1 speaker Aahahaaaaaaa

So what movie you think old Frank Filipetti in my link of post up there :roll: is talking about 5.1 for the DZPZ concerts? of TTNS(The torture never stops 74 parts) alias ATOHE(A token of his extreme)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:08 am 

If your speakers are big and bad enough there's no need for a Subwoofer to handle the LFE.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:06 am 

Is it :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:54 pm 

I recently downloaded an AMAZING version of Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here" that had been transfered from the original QUAD LP and it is fucking mind blowing! It's mixed in 4.1 to utilize the sub and it's it really is SICK!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:57 pm 

Galoot Co-Log-Nuh wrote:
If your speakers are big and bad enough there's no need for a Subwoofer to handle the LFE.

mine kick ass! AR4x in the bedroom and AR2ax in the living room. No stinkin subwoofers in my house!

plus my daughter has some Quadraflex A-11's and my son will have some nice speakers with aluminum woofers and phase plug design when I finish his desktop studio. (ARxp62 of course)

Amplification. All Sherwood of course! I do have a nice integrated Realistic amp that is 60wpc though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:10 am 

cleon wrote:
Why ain't there a Wiki page! with 2.1,too speakers + 1 subwoofer that is.

I agree with Galoot, an extra subwoofer may be required if the speakers cannot handle low frequencies, in 5.1 as well as in stereo (2.0).
In surround sound, the ".1" does not stand for subwoofer, it is actually the LFE channel.
The receiver can direct this LFE channel to any of the speakers capable of rendering it.

Maybe there is no wiki page on "2.1" just because stereo sound (2.0) does not rely on a particular speakers configuration.
The source still has only two channels, whether the output system involves a subwoofer or 4-way speakers.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:13 am 

Maroual wrote:
cleon wrote:

I agree with Galoot, an extra subwoofer may be required if the speakers cannot handle low frequencies, in 5.1 as well as in stereo (2.0).
In surround sound, the ".1" does not stand for subwoofer, it is actually the LFE channel.
The receiver can direct this LFE channel to any of the speakers capable of rendering it.

Maybe there is no wiki page on "2.1" just because stereo sound (2.0) does not rely on a particular speakers configuration.
The source still has only two channels, whether the output system involves a subwoofer or 4-way speakers.
tell me something i don't know.
For a start
But why ain't there a Wiki page for 2.1 it does exist and it aint on wiki.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:15 am 

cleon wrote:
Maroual wrote:
cleon wrote:

tell me something i don't know.
For a start
But why ain't there a Wiki page for 2.1 it does exist and it aint on wiki.

Maybe Isaac hijacked it........ :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:17 am 

And also maybe not is more like it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:20 am 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bose_2.1_h ... nt_systems
this is all I could find Cleon