Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:00 am 

I smoked for about 20 years -  Camel Plain, sometimes Winston and others and rollies. Mainly gave up about 10 years ago, but still dabbled up to a few years ago (2 or 3 a day). Apart from the health issue, I hated paying through the nose (including hefty taxes) to enrich a multi-national drug pusher. That irked me most.<br><br>When I found out I needed a liver transplant I had to give up even the few I was down to, otherwise there was a real risk that the doctors would not consider putting me on the waiting list. I could understand that, because why should they, if I was not concerned enough about my own health to stop smoking altogether. Anyway, I gotta admit I feel a lot better for it, but like Ronnys, I sure did enjoy smoking back then.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:41 pm 

I just want to tell everyone who quit smoking how proud I am of them!   :-*  {{{big hug}}}   :-*<br><br>I know that it can be excruciatingly difficult to quit smoking...not from my own personal experience...but from people I know who have & haven't quit.<br><br>I gave up chocolate during my pregnancy and for quite a while afterwards and it was torture!  At the height of my chocolate addiction, I used to have chocolate at least three times a day (breakfast = chocolate powder mixed in my cereal milk / after-lunch-snack = chocolate candy bar / bedtime-snack = chocolate ice cream) every day!   :P<br><br>Now, I'll have a little piece of chocolate about once a week or so.  Hey!  At least you can't die from me having a piece of chocolate!   ;D<br><br>Anyway...I'm just rambling here.  That's all.   :)<br><br>Gypsy Moon Dream

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:50 am 

yes I do.<br>12/15 golden virginia self-made cigarettes... I'm sorry but I love smoking... :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:09 am 

[quote author=GypsyDream link=board=general;num=1055101475;start=15#28 date=06/18/03 at 21:41:51]I just want to tell everyone who quit smoking how proud I am of them!   :-*  {{{big hug}}}   :-*<br><br>I know that it can be excruciatingly difficult to quit smoking...not from my own personal experience...but from people I know who have & haven't quit.<br><br>I gave up chocolate during my pregnancy and for quite a while afterwards and it was torture!  At the height of my chocolate addiction, I used to have chocolate at least three times a day (breakfast = chocolate powder mixed in my cereal milk / after-lunch-snack = chocolate candy bar / bedtime-snack = chocolate ice cream) every day!   :P<br><br>Now, I'll have a little piece of chocolate about once a week or so.  Hey!  At least you can't die from me having a piece of chocolate!   ;D<br><br>Anyway...I'm just rambling here.  That's all.   :)<br><br>Gypsy Moon Dream[/quote]<br><br>Mmmm, chocolate  :P<br><br>Candy and chocolate is also the best.<br><br>After music, of course!<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:58 am 

Am trying this week to quit for good and have had a few set backs, but my will will prevail...<br><br>I used to smoke American Spirits "roll your own", it was much cheaper and kept me smoking only 9-11 a day.<br><br>I am looking forward killing this rabied monkey on me back!<br><br>bobzcheez

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 11:25 am 

I used to smoke cigarretes back in high school, but I quit cold turkey.  I dont smoke anything else anymore either.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 12:39 pm 

I used to smoke a lot. Did it for 18 years, full time. I was really good at it. I could blow smoke rings inside of smoke rings and other tricks. I LOVED smoking.<br><br>I once quit for 8 months, then once quit for 6 months. I finally smoked my last cigarette in 1995 in April or May, can't remember which. I still occasionally want one, especially if I'm drinking and playing guitar really loud or if I'm stuck in a traffic jam. I occasionally keep a cigarette in my car. I don't deny myself. I'll have one, I just NEVER light it. That's the key. Anybody remember the TV show "Baretta"? Yeah, it's like that, but I don't keep it behind my ear. And no bird perched on my shoulder, either.<br><br>Since I quit, I developed a major sweet tooth, but I have always had a very fast metabolism, so I don't have to be too concerned with gaining weight. I should probably be at least a little concerned about losing teeth, but haven't lost any yet so I'm OK. But, what the hell, you can get false teeth, you can't get new lungs quite so easily.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:33 pm 

yeah, i do smoke. at about one and a half packs a day, when i get no sleep at night its more. lucky strike when i got money, otherwise cheaper stuff.<br>and that forum and other writing stuff i do on my pc does RISE my consumption to tremendous heights.....well, i don`t really notice how much i do smoke when i type. its only when i`m done that my throat hurts like hell. its quite sensitive though. at least one part of me. <br>i smoke weed from time to time but quit every other drug and also drinking. makes me mad and leads to unpleasant situations of the body and mind.<br>i am sick anyway, so why proceed it?<br>but  i love smoking. i admit that. its not good but <br>i am an adict and (lighting a cigarette)<br>can`t  fucking stop.<br>wowie!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:11 pm 

half pack a day, more if i'm drinking beer/whiskey.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:15 pm 

still smoking. a pack of camel/day. I would quit if I didn't like it. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:33 am 

In the words of the famous Tony Curtis...
"I quit...cigarettes that is." :)

Loved 'em intensly for about 30 years. Quit about 15 years ago but had a brief relaps about eight or nine years ago.

As dedicated as I was, and as much as I thought it was a rotten idea to quit, these days I'm just really glad about not having to deal with some of the more intense drawbacks to them. Occasionally I want one, but it's a passing thought, (lol, the quit smoking product ad's on TV make me want one, and sometimes when I see someone smoking).

I feel for those who smoke, and especially those who want to quit. To them I'd send encouragement, no one could have been more addicted than I, but now I go months without even thinking of one, (and the rare urge is just a mild and fleeting thought). It's rough at first, but it's great being free of even thinking about them.

Probably when I'm 100 I'll buy a pack of Kools, I won't have enough time left to get cancer then :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:02 am 

Nope...
I prefer peanut butter, though I find some difficulty rolling a jar of it up into a t-shirt sleeve.
Salmonella, here I come.

You just don't understand, You're from Kalamazoo.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:31 am 

I quit about about 1995 and don't regret it. I am left with asthma and reflux (which I think was worsened by smoking, if not caused by it). I gained weight, but I wouldn't go back to smoking for anything. I had smoked since I was 13. I tried to quit a couple of times before it finally worked. Going cold turkey is the best thing. You fidget around for about a week and think you are going to die, but then it starts getting better.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:07 am 

I like cigarettes and peanut butter, but neither one of them do me any good. Even when I spring for the six dollar a jar organic (racket!) peanut butter. I haven't had a cigarette since Friday afternoon, which is rare for me to go this long without one. I noticed that I my pallet is more sensitive to taste when I cook than it had been for a while. I've slowly been cutting back on smoking since mid-January, but I must admit that I would LOVE to have a Marlboro Light or a Camel Wide right now. Or two or three.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:41 am 

I'm smoking too much. I know I've to quit it soon but I still like it. Especially these tasty ones:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:28 pm 

I was too chickenshit to start, when "the gang" started (around 9 or 10 years old), and so never got into it. I always figured we were under age, so if anyone would get caught and get in trouble, sure-as-shootin' it would be me! :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:47 pm 

I did for 28 years. I quit a couple of years ago. Don't miss it in the least.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:48 pm 

Congrats Cal!
I remember when you were quitting. Glad to see you stuck with it!
I smoke a lot. I don't count 'em.
I cough a lot, yet I don't get sick.
I don't think I get sick on average once a year. But I operate at what is probably a slower overall pace.
I need to quit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:00 pm 

I think I smoked my last cigarette during my senior year of college (about three years ago). Up until then, I was a pretty casual off-and-on smoker throughout college. A pack could usually last me a whole week. I mostly only smoked at parties and while drinking or when I happened to be around my other friends who smoked, so quitting wasn't a big deal. I just decided to quit doing it one day. The only smoking I do now is the rare cigar here and there as sort of a novelty. Every once in a while, I'll see someone lighting up in a bar and think to myself, "Man, I could really go for one of those," but I manage to shake it off.

Oh, and I was a Camel Lights man. And I bought a big jar of peanut butter yesterday. Come and get me, salmonella.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:33 pm 

Yes. Marlboro 100's. A pack a day since I was 14.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:21 am 

Never, ever on any regular basis (just a few puffs for the fun of it at rare occasions).

It was never a conscious decision, but the few times I tried it as a teenager was enough to never making me want to start. I just hated the feeling of smoke in my mouth. I am otherwise quite genetically disposed to the abuse of substances (legal ones like coffee, cola, chocolate and alcohol), so I would probably have been a "good" smoker if I had started.

But today, I am happy I never began. One thing not to worry about. And I never drink alcohol these days. So coffee and chocolate are my main vices. But I guess I'll just consider them as "food" following the footsteps of you-know-who. :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:03 am 

LOl, reading this thread is making me wanna go have a butt! :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:09 am 

Yes, i smoke far too much, at least 20-a-day. Embassy number 1 is my choice of cigarette and has been since i was 14 also, Galoot.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:56 am 

I smoke p-funk's

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next