Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Scenes from Zappanale 19
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:18 am 

Our second trip to Bad Doberan for the Zappanale Festival
Having breakfast at the Kamp Theatre in Bad Doberan and Denny Walley and Janet the Planet stroll by.
Tony Carbone & Main Well from Low Budget Research Kitchen and I discuss which songs I am going to sing for them.
This was taken right before I went on stage to sing.
Stanley Jason Zappa, talented and very down to earth.
A Zappateer with his new FZ tribute tattoo.
I don't care what people say, the FZ bust in Bad Doberan is a great place to spend time and ponder. I rubbed his nose for good luck! Our hotel room overlooked the bust which we could see from our window.
Link to my performance of Montana with Low Budget Research Kitchen, the best band from Portugal you never heard of!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pWhsnESYP0
8)
Daisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:05 am 

That performance was fuckin' A on a whole wheat bun! Great stuff DD, but where was xyqa? I guess she was diggin' what was happening.

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:28 am 

debutante_daisy wrote:
UNVEILING OF THE FRANK ZAPPA STRASSE
The Orwohaus music collective
Berlin, Germany
July 28, 2007

8)

It has been almost two years since Berlin renamed a street in honor of our hero. Has anyone else here visited Frank Zappa Strasse?
:wink:
Daisy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:34 pm 

hey deb daisy, it's scott yobp. merriweather post 84, remember?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:22 pm 

xdeadhead wrote:
hey deb daisy, it's scott yobp. merriweather post 84, remember?

Of course I do Scott! I will always cherish those photos. The fact that you followed through and mailed the to me blew me away!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:35 am 

debutante_daisy wrote:
9 February 1988The Warner Theatre Washington DC
Image10 February 1988 The Warner Theatre Washington DC
I procured these prized possessions from the last tour, Broadway the Hard Way. I waited patiently at the stage door for several hours, both nights, to have them autographed by Frank. If you look closely, you can see Ike's signature on the back of February 9th. I'm pretty certain that the ** indicates a guitar solo I'm so happy to finally be able to share these with the world!

:D

Thank goodness this topic has emerged again, I couldn't find it. How did you get these artifacts? They look as if they have escaped a fire. I have, on the same paper 4 sheets writ upon left in the A4 note pad which I found in FZ's dressing room after the Genoa concert, his last concert. It looks like he may not have ended the tour there because of mutiny in the ranks because of ED MANN-V-(scott thunes) ......but because FZ had run out of paper in his $0.69 notepad! Curiously he had scrawled 'Silvio Berlusconi' on the card at the back. FZ mentions in his book being asked to write for the Italian Television coverage of 1990 FIFA 'Soccer' World Cup. Berlusconi was the man who ran TV in Italy at the time, before he came their bonkers Prime Minister.

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:17 am 

diplomaticpermissiondeepi wrote:
debutante_daisy wrote:
I procured these prized possessions from the last tour, Broadway the Hard Way. I waited patiently at the stage door for several hours, both nights, to have them autographed by Frank. If you look closely, you can see Ike's signature on the back of February 9th. I'm pretty certain that the ** indicates a guitar solo I'm so happy to finally be able to share these with the world!

Thank goodness this topic has emerged again, I couldn't find it. How did you get these artifacts? They look as if they have escaped a fire. I have, on the same paper 4 sheets writ upon left in the A4 note pad which I found in FZ's dressing room after the Genoa concert, his last concert. It looks like he may not have ended the tour there because of mutiny in the ranks because of ED MANN-V-(scott thunes) ......but because FZ had run out of paper in his $0.69 notepad! Curiously he had scrawled 'Silvio Berlusconi' on the card at the back. FZ mentions in his book being asked to write for the Italian Television coverage of 1990 FIFA 'Soccer' World Cup. Berlusconi was the man who ran TV in Italy at the time, before he came their bonkers Prime Minister.

I snagged them from the stage after the show during the 88 tour. The rest of the story is written in purple above. They are not as yellow in person as they appear in this scanned jpg. I suppose I could have stored them better but what did I know, I was young? I had them matted and framed last year in honor of their 20th birthday.
Here they are hanging over the mantel of my fireplace in my living room. Sandwiched in between is my prized collage of FZ made with torn pieces of paper.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:01 pm 

i have some awesome pix from that merriweather gig. only thing is i cant find them. i wish deb daisy would repost them so i can Dl them. i did just find a ton of my pics from the 1988 tour and i have to scan them sowe can all enjoy them. i know ive received some private messages, but until i get to 10 posts, i cant see them. and i definitely dont want to be labelled as a spammer. i have some real nice stuff i can share with all you other phreaks. stay tuned. was anyone at the tower theatre on valentines day in 88? i have some real nice pics of frank conducting audience members dancing the approximate on stage. quite a treat.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:18 pm 

I never knew about this thread, and my scanner is broke. Unfortunately, at work I can't see all DD's scanned wonderment, I guess I will try at home.

Talkin' about odd things, anyone else got the four-book set that was numbered and came out from the Torchum Team?

There was a guy who advertised in 'Society Pages' who would make T-shirts with different covers on the front and back, I have one with Ruben on the front, and the Freak Out cartoon bubble on the back, and one with the Chunga pic on the front and the Barking Pumpkin logo on the back (well my wife has them, because I don't fit in them anymore) - I do still, well almost, fit in my T-shirt with Frank and the big pencil on the front, and the "Don't Mess With Me, I'm a Registered Voter" rap on the back (I wore it yesterday to see if it still fit!!)

And there was another guy who would do work on taffeta, I have a 3' x 3' pic of the inside cover of Absolutely Free on tan taffeta, It is nearly fallen apart, but still hangs in our kitchen.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:44 pm 

Even though I think that statue sucks, I gotta envy it.

Last edited by calvin2hikers on Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:38 am 

http://www.facebook.com/calschenkel?ref=nf#!/video/video.php?v=108801464595
Painting Trout Mask Replica (paper) [HQ]
by Cal Schenkel (videos)
2:54
Not sure if this will work but here is a quick video from Cal Schenkel's facebook page.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:50 am 

debutante_daisy wrote:

My autographed set lists appear in the Doodads Supplement to Andrew Greenaway's book, Zappa, The Hard Way.
http://www.idiotbastard.com
8)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:12 am 

How did you procure them?

My bits which are also published; FZ had left behind in the Dressing Room. This was the last FZ Genoa concert. FZ had shortly left the venue in a blue Mercedes when I found them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:19 am 

My bits which are also published; FZ had left behind in the Dressing Room. This was the last FZ Genoa concert. FZ had shortly left the venue in a blue Mercedes when I found them.

FZ played three nights at the Warner Theatre in DC. My boyfriend at the time saw people grabbing the lists off the stage on the first night. The second night we were in row F so he ran down to the stage and got one for me. I had no idea what he was doing at the time. The third night I went down there and got the second one.

I waited at the stage door behind the venue until Frank left the building to get him to sign them for me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:24 am 

that is very cool

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:35 am 

A typical great little background detail. I always found FZ was very polite to the fans during the 88 tour, however: In Rome he had every right to tell some one to sod off as one fan, an English guy; asked FZ to sign something again. What Frank had written was 'not sufficiently looking like Frank Zappa enough' [ I am paraphrasing]. FZ stared at him, paused, and then signed it again. Merciful Heavens!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:02 am 

From the Doodads Supplement of Andrew's book......I'm looking at the facsimile band dressing room sign and the replica "mini" poster of the last show of the "Broadway The Hard Way Tour. Are these yours?
:?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:31 am 

Yes Daisy these are mine. The mini poster of as you say should be a replica ticket of the Genoa concert. The notices were on the various doors backstage. There should be a blue notepad, this was the $0.69 pad which your set list could well have come from. The fly swatters photo's are mine.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:52 am 

Yes Daisy these are mine. The mini poster of as you say should be a replica ticket of the Genoa concert. The notices were on the various doors backstage. There should be a blue notepad, this was the $0.69 pad which your set list could well have come from. The fly swatters photo's are mine.

too cool for school!
8)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:50 am 

For those of you on Facebook!!!

Please visit this link https://www.facebook.com/#!/frankzappaday and LIKE this page. We are trying to promote Frank Zappa Day in Baltimore on September 17th. Hey, maybe you don't even know about it...and now you do?

September 17th in Higlandtown...where the Frank Zappa Bust from Vilnius, Lithuania was dedicated last September. They are throwing a FREE party with tons of bands and cool stuff to check out....including an exhibition by Mr. Ahmet Zappa.

Ahmet's Playhouse
Creating and Communing with Ahmet Zappa

Creative Alliance hosts an afternoon with musician, actor, artist and writer Ahmet Enuuka Rodan Zappa. Ahmet's warm, honest vision and efforts to support children in their growth, are manifested thru a myriad of projects including a film in development and his children's books, including Monstrous Memoirs of a Mighty McFearless. Ahmet talks about his life’s challenges and passions, and shares his amazing drawings. A question and answer discussion follows with the audience. Building on the fun we had last year, Ahmet will create some of his fabulous drawings on the spot on your t-shirt! Original Ahmet drawings and books will be available for purchase.

Come show your support!!

8)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:41 am 

For those of us who hate the concept of Facebook, is there a way to show support?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:34 am 

tweezers wrote:
For those of us who hate the concept of Facebook, is there a way to show support?

good question...don't know the answer. they are using facebook as the main center for promotion.
try googling frank zappa day baltimore september 17th and see what comes up.

thanks!!

Daisy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:36 am 

debutante_daisy wrote:
For those of you on Facebook!!!

Please visit this link https://www.facebook.com/#!/frankzappaday and LIKE this page. We are trying to promote Frank Zappa Day in Baltimore on September 17th. Hey, maybe you don't even know about it...and now you do?

September 17th in Higlandtown...where the Frank Zappa Bust from Vilnius, Lithuania was dedicated last September. They are throwing a FREE party with tons of bands and cool stuff to check out....including an exhibition by Mr. Ahmet Zappa.

Ahmet's Playhouse
Creating and Communing with Ahmet Zappa

Creative Alliance hosts an afternoon with musician, actor, artist and writer Ahmet Enuuka Rodan Zappa. Ahmet's warm, honest vision and efforts to support children in their growth, are manifested thru a myriad of projects including a film in development and his children's books, including Monstrous Memoirs of a Mighty McFearless. Ahmet talks about his life’s challenges and passions, and shares his amazing drawings. A question and answer discussion follows with the audience. Building on the fun we had last year, Ahmet will create some of his fabulous drawings on the spot on your t-shirt! Original Ahmet drawings and books will be available for purchase.

Come show your support!!

8)

done it daisy! love ya guts, and all youse in zappanale land!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:57 am 

debutante_daisy wrote:
tweezers wrote:

good question...don't know the answer. they are using facebook as the main center for promotion.

thanks!!

Daisy

Will do and will let ya know...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:01 am 

tweezers wrote:
debutante_daisy wrote:
tweezers wrote:

thanks!!

Daisy

Will do and will let ya know...

here you go!!! http://manifestobaltimore.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next