Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:51 am 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
Caputh wrote:
Do either of you happen to know if "Fuzzy Warbles" is worth the (considerable) investment?
well, I wouldn't know. never bothered to find out. I have a feeling it's for completists only. but, then again, I might be wrong.

I was fortunate to buy the set from a friend of mine who runs a music store in the wrapper for $50.00 several years ago, it has everything on it a lot of demos and alternate mix's. Now here is the part you may find outrageous...I have never played it, it is an awesome format and I just afraid that if a take any of the CD's out that in will be hazardous.

The set is formatted like a stamp collection and there are actual stamps in the set that represent each CD which themselves have stamp artwork. Each CD has extensive linear notes. There is also a bonus CD called “Hinges”, I believe instrumentals by Andy. There is also a booklet reminiscent of a 1950’s owner manual.

I just pulled it out and looked at it for the first time in years and I think I will go purchase a Boom Box just to play it on this winter when I return from my next trip for work.

How much is the copy you are looking at Caputh?

Put it in US dollars we are not capable of doing conversions since we insist the rest of the world do shit our way...lol... :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:22 pm 

Caputh, if you're already an xtc fan, I'd get Coat of Many Cupboards or Transistor Blast if you don't already have them. Each are 4 mostly-full disc collections.
Fuzzy Warbles, while a very colorful collection, each disc has 50 minutes or less of music. There are many interesting demos of xtc songs, many other songs taht only see their release here, children's songs, experimental things and a bunch of other things that are probably useful only to hardcore nuts. My favoritres are often songs that aren't available anywhere else.
The book is interesting as it gives a lot of background on inspiration of songs, method of production, history of take told for purpose of inclusion, yaddada.
Worth it, if the interest is already there AND you have a lot of time. If your wife likes the music of xtc in general, it might be a nice present.
But I would get the aforementioned Transistor or Coat of Many if you haven't heard them yet.
Transistor Blast has two discs of bbc studio recordings of many xtc 'hits' in alternate recordings -- different than and often superior to the album versions. The other two discs are live recordings for the bbc before a crowd: March'78 and Nov'80. Essential IMO.
Coat of Many Cupboards is a career-wide retrospect but which does NOT include things from either Apple-Venus/ Wasp-Star or their demos. But while having a few album or single-versions of 'definitive' type songs, the wealth here is in the many demos and live versions that aren't available anywhere else.
I'm thinking you already have Apple-Venus/ Wasp-Star and/or their 'Homegrown' demos. Four short discs (under 60 minutes a piece) but the music is all pretty wonderful. Also a nice present.

I originally purchased the fuzzy warbles two-by-two as they first came to light on the xtc site and tehn on Andy's website ape.co.uk. For the pre-order sale they were signed by Andy -- with a gold pen--and were hyped as beating the boots that were out there.
The sound is good, the wealth of material kinda embarassing, but when it's good, it's really good. I listened to them a lot more than the xtc records when they came out.
Then made an 80 minute comp of my favorites and still listen to that, 6-8 years later, often to pick me up. But the tone of all of it is both light and dark. where the music is light the lyrics are often dark. Where the lyrics are light and uplifting, the music is often unsettling.
xtc is one band I've pretty much obsessed over off and on over the last 28 years, so it is difficult to write these dry explanatory notes.
Another set of new material that is excellent if you like the dukes of stratosphear are the two new discs with all the extras on those. Nice art but even more music as it is nearly twice the length of the Chips From The Chocolateball comp that was the only place to get that on cd for 20 years. Oh and it sounds great.
Personally I like the additional demo material like with the warbles set as it gives a much wider range for the songs, supplying context and in some cases rdaically different arrangements, showing the band or Andy as a much richer songwriter than the original releases could show.
If this is all too much information, go back to the first paragraph ;)

you can hear samples from FW2 here on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Fuzzy-Warbles-V-2 ... =1-3-fkmr0

samples for Transistor Blast:
http://www.amazon.com/Transistor-Blast- ... 017&sr=1-1

samples for Coat of Many Cupboards:
http://www.amazon.com/Coat-Many-Cupboar ... 099&sr=1-1

Last edited by punknaynowned on Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:29 pm 

Well, on Amazon they're 27 Dollars 98 cents.
I'm a great XTC fan. I'm a completist (as I think Lumpy Gravy is too -if he really loves a band- and XTC were as good as the Beatles, when they hit the right groove).

Play it, Plook and tell us what you think.

Thanks, Punkynaynowned fot the recommendation; my wife and I love XTC, so I'll probably have to think about some appropriate buying method - one birthday or Xmas present after another? You can never give me information BTW :D

I wish XTC had done more live stuff too- Andy was really great on all the videos; I've seen.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:41 pm 

Caputh wrote:
You can never give me information BTW :D .

you mean I can never give you too much info? ;)

Those two shows on Transistor Blast ARE a BLAST and that set has lots of stuff to roll around in for a long time. and the price is still pretty good...

and plook, don't take it out the shrink wrap!
Your $50 investment is already gone up 250% acc to amazon.
why enjoy something silly like music when you can make $$?
muhahahhahaa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:55 pm 

Caputh wrote:
Well, on Amazon they're 27 Dollars 98 cents.
I'm a great XTC fan. I'm a completist (as I think Lumpy Gravy is too -if he really loves a band- and XTC were as good as the Beatles, when they hit the right groove).

Play it, Plook and tell us what you think.

Thanks, Punkynaynowned fot the recommendation; my wife and I love XTC, so I'll probably have to think about some appropriate buying method - one birthday or Xmas present after another? You can never give me information BTW :D

I wish XTC had done more live stuff too- Andy was really great on all the videos; I've seen.

I saw XTC live twice in either the late 70's early 80's, what great shows! They were playing the Hollywood Palladium and we had tickets in I believe 82 or 83, I had read that Andy had stage fright and had to drink a fifth of whiskey (or something like that) to be able to perform...I was shocked since their performances were so awesome the first two times I saw them, I could not believe anyone that much up front and on it had stage fright.

Well the night of the show we got there early got good seats in the upstairs bar and had the right quantities of the appropriate things to enhance the evening. Steel Pulse and Jules Holland & the Polar Bears were the slated openers, the MC came out said the concert was canceled due to Andy becoming ill. It turned out that his bladder burst from drinking and he nearly died (according to the LA Times) I don't believe they ever toured again.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:48 am 

Location: Magicians' Quarters on the Counterweight Continent, wawawa.lspace....org
Have found this one only last week:

"Weird Al" Yankovic - GENIUS in France

http://www.simfy.de/#/artists/85533-Wei ... s/12519465

song ta-welve. I reckon it's the best Zappa cover ever. How me likes those quick notes with xylophones et al. Okay, do not expect a scintillating guitar going off into smifferienows. What you phink?

HyFlyRadio alongside chap

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:07 pm 

Location: Magicians' Quarters on the Counterweight Continent, wawawa.lspace....org

song ta-welve. I reckon it's the best Zappa cover ever. How me likes those quick notes with xylophones et al. Okay, do not expect a scintillating guitar going off into smiwwerienows. What you phink?

HyFlyRadio alongside chap

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:51 pm 

Sir Ius Rincewind wrote:

song ta-welve. I reckon it's the best Zappa cover ever. How me likes those quick notes with xylophones et al. Okay, do not expect a scintillating guitar going off into smiwwerienows. What you phink?

It's not a cover, it's one of Al's "style parodies" and yeah, it's real good, very clever and Dweezil plays the intro guitar solo. Also, check out Al's Bob Dylan "style parody" called "Bob". The lyrics are all written in palindromes, also very clever. Al's a clever guy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:28 pm 

FZ - Outside Now and a bunch of others
Pixies - I've been tired
CSN&Y - Almost cut my hair
Led Zeppelin - When the levee breaks
Funkadelic - Hit it and quit it
Chico Buarque - Construção
David Bowie - Changes
Screamin Jay Hawkins - I Put A Spell On You
James Brown - Payback
Aretha Franklin - I Never Loved A Man (The Way I Love You)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:34 pm 

Nice to see Chico Buarque cited in Frank's forum...

Peter Gabriel - Signal to Noise (Instrumental)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJZ53LbgLYo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:36 pm 

"Hello It's Me" -Todd Rundgren

There's nothing like a Catholic Girl
With her hand in the box
When she's on her knees

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:32 pm 

Caputh wrote:
no, caputh, I am not an xtc completist. I don't own everything by any band (or solo artist), in my cd collection. I've never felt the need to buy every single release by anyone. if I like it, I buy it, if I don't, I'll let it be. I'm very selective.
maybe I just don't love them enough... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:58 pm 

Butthole Surfers-The Colored FBI Guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPKP7LOBo68

Mars Volta-Take The Veil Cerpin Taxt B) And Ghosted Pouts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvR6Et4CUIM

The Flaming Lips-Psychiatric Explorations Of The Fetus With Needles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlrjrazYf6k

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:47 pm 

I still get a kick outta Iron Butterfly's Innagoddadavida,see,it's fun to try and spell too.
But that bass.....Ba ba,baa,baa,ba ba dung dung dung.
Don't you know that I/We love you! Ba ba baa baa ba ba dung dung dung.
Still fun at party's folks! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:30 pm 

Speaking of Parties.

ZZ Top-Party on the Patio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:02 pm 

KillUgly wrote:
Speaking of Parties.

Featuring,The Tubes & Qualude. Doin' W.P.O.D. :lol:

What do you want outta life? To see DZpZ in Paradise? 8)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:16 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
KillUgly wrote:
Speaking of Parties.

That would be great. You would be surprised that there is a very nice venue in Paradise. The Paradise Performing Arts Center seats 750. It has problems staying solvent though. Norton Buffalo was real involved in trying to make it more successful and he held a benefit concert for it each year. It's hosted some fairly big names like Dave Mason, Richard Thompson, Dwight Yaokum, and Ani DiFranco. Of course there's some places in Chico that would be cool for DZPZ like Laxson Auditorium on the campus. Jethro Tull, John Mayall, Little Feat, and Lou Reed have all played there over the last few years. What would really be cool is the Sierra Nevada Brewery Big Room. Seats about 300. They could do one of their Can't Fit it on Stage Anymore shows there. It's a really nice room with state of the art facilities. Quite a few acts have filmed live dvd's there. Plus the beer ain't too bad.

They're also booking a lot of shows at the El Rey and Senator Theaters. I'm thinking about going to see Pat Travers at the El Rey in a couple of weeks and Robin Trower is going to be there next March. You ought to come on up sometime w/ Plook for a show.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:56 pm 

KillUgly wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
KillUgly wrote:
Speaking of Parties.

That would be great. You would be surprised that there is a very nice venue in Paradise. The Paradise Performing Arts Center seats 750. It has problems staying solvent though. Norton Buffalo was real involved in trying to make it more successful and he held a benefit concert for it each year. It's hosted some fairly big names like Dave Mason, Richard Thompson, Dwight Yaokum, and Ani DiFranco. Of course there's some places in Chico that would be cool for DZPZ like Laxson Auditorium on the campus. Jethro Tull, John Mayall, Little Feat, and Lou Reed have all played there over the last few years. What would really be cool is the Sierra Nevada Brewery Big Room. Seats about 300. They could do one of their Can't Fit it on Stage Anymore shows there. It's a really nice room with state of the art facilities. Quite a few acts have filmed live dvd's there. Plus the beer ain't too bad.

They're also booking a lot of shows at the El Rey and Senator Theaters. I'm thinking about going to see Pat Travers at the El Rey in a couple of weeks and Robin Trower is going to be there next March. You ought to come on up sometime w/ Plook for a show.

Whadda you with,the chamber of commerce? You sold me ! Now sell ZFT! :wink:
BTW-Vutures Await,will be at The Stagg on 11/20/10.(Cletus) 8)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:55 am 

Genesis - After the Ordeal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arYjothKl3g

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:11 pm 

Camel - Breathless

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVJKEH8hA0Y

Camper Van Beethoven - Club Med Sucks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq7APYPzGGM

The Damned - Grimly Fiendish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QHyCxgDfI4

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:07 pm 

Sure 'nuff 'n' Yes I Do

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:29 pm 

Last Friday Night - Katty Perry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:31 pm 

Stand by your man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:44 pm 

Besides FZ's songs,
Strawberry Fields Forever.
I Am The Walrus.
Rockin' Roll High School.
Excitable Boy.
Sharp Dressed Man.
Boom,Boom,Boom,Boom.
And who ever sings the song with the lyric's "I'm your prostitute,you gonna get some". :?:
Anyone know the name of the gal or group who sings that :?:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:31 am 

Be-Bop Deluxe - Maid In Heaven

Probably one of the greastest pop songs ever written!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next