Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 18680
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
JIMMYJOHN wrote:
...and i am sorry to say thay Zappa's WHY DONT YOU LIKE ME is a blatant rip off of Michael Jackson's BILLIE JEAN :roll:

Just goes to show. All this time I thought it was an updated version of "Tell Me You Love Me" off Chunga's Revenge. :shock:

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:10 pm
Posts: 187
just plain doug wrote:
JIMMYJOHN wrote:
...and i am sorry to say thay Zappa's WHY DONT YOU LIKE ME is a blatant rip off of Michael Jackson's BILLIE JEAN :roll:

Just goes to show. All this time I thought it was an updated version of "Tell Me You Love Me" off Chunga's Revenge. :shock:


Well, take my word for it.
I can sure recognise a funky 4 notes bassline when i hear one.

TrendyJohn & his amazing monent of observation.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:10 pm
Posts: 187
just plain doug wrote:
JIMMYJOHN wrote:
...and i am sorry to say thay Zappa's WHY DONT YOU LIKE ME is a blatant rip off of Michael Jackson's BILLIE JEAN :roll:

Just goes to show. All this time I thought it was an updated version of "Tell Me You Love Me" off Chunga's Revenge. :shock:


...and what were you trying to say? Zappa ripping off Zappa? That just doesnt make sense.
Please think twice before you post, this is serious matter!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4757
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
As far as I remember, Zappa was always ripping off Zappa and also anyone else that he liked or didn't like - one of the reasons I love his music so much.
However, if you want to hear the ultimate ripoff of "Billie Jean" then listen to the Residents' version of Hank Williams' "Kaw-Liga" and they wrote a whole song denigrating him too ("Just For You" from "Disfigured Night").

_________________
"I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:55 pm
Posts: 3
Location: Zwolle
I always found the following two songs a good example of plain theft:
- It's A Beautiful Day: Bulgaria (1968)
- Deep Purple: Child In Time (1970)

BTW:
It's A Beautiful Day is a very, very hippie-like band. It's all about love & peace and some other deep-thought philostophy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:44 am
Posts: 14
I do think it's good to make a distinction between stealing a tune or using it.
American culture has a large tradition of using existing works of art: Andy Warhol, Charles Ives. many works of Charles Ives can be seen as collages of known melodies.
Also Zappa often uses it effectively.
And there is good reason for it: well known songs or images have already found a place in people's consciousness. So using that melody or image can make a strong and immediate comment on what the original represents. Think of how many times the Mona Lisa has been used!

Now with Zappa there are many examples, but there is one song that always strikes me: Watermelon in Easter Hay on Joe's Garage. I always get a strong association with Pink Floyd. It starts with Zappa's laugh, which has the same kind of feel to it as how Pink Floyd laughs on Eclipse (Dark Side of the Moon). And the solo itself has something of the same slow moving development that Pink Floyd uses a lot. I always think that Zappa could have named the song The David Gilmour Secret Chord Progression.

Am I the only one who gets the association? ;-)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:10 pm
Posts: 187
Caputh wrote:
As far as I remember, Zappa was always ripping off Zappa and also anyone else that he liked or didn't like - one of the reasons I love his music so much.
However, if you want to hear the ultimate ripoff of "Billie Jean" then listen to the Residents' version of Hank Williams' "Kaw-Liga" and they wrote a whole song denigrating him too ("Just For You" from "Disfigured Night").


Hey my friend, i was trying to instill irony in my answers but it seems i failed to do so.
I promise you i realized WHY DON'T YOU LIKE ME was about MJ and that he used BILLY JEAN bass line (and riff) on purpose.
And just like you i love his musical "quotes" of other artists and musicians, some obvious some less so (ie someone - Ike Willis? - humming Verdi's Rigoletto at the end of CATHOLIC GIRLS)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:10 pm
Posts: 187
Gas Mask wrote:
I do think it's good to make a distinction between stealing a tune or using it.
American culture has a large tradition of using existing works of art: Andy Warhol, Charles Ives. many works of Charles Ives can be seen as collages of known melodies.
Also Zappa often uses it effectively.
And there is good reason for it: well known songs or images have already found a place in people's consciousness. So using that melody or image can make a strong and immediate comment on what the original represents. Think of how many times the Mona Lisa has been used!

Now with Zappa there are many examples, but there is one song that always strikes me: Watermelon in Easter Hay on Joe's Garage. I always get a strong association with Pink Floyd. It starts with Zappa's laugh, which has the same kind of feel to it as how Pink Floyd laughs on Eclipse (Dark Side of the Moon). And the solo itself has something of the same slow moving development that Pink Floyd uses a lot. I always think that Zappa could have named the song The David Gilmour Secret Chord Progression.

Am I the only one who gets the association? ;-)


Wow! WATERMELON and PINK FLOYD, never thought about that one, probably because Zappa's and Gilmour's soloing are...well...very different.
But now that i think of it, WIEH time sig is alternated bars of 4/4 and 5/4 just like...MONEY! :wink:
More seriously, i understand what you mean by slow developpement and leaving space in the solo.
If only Vinnie had taken some downers in order to sound more like Mason... :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:44 am
Posts: 14
JIMMYJOHN wrote:
Wow! WATERMELON and PINK FLOYD, never thought about that one, probably because Zappa's and Gilmour's soloing are...well...very different.
But now that i think of it, WIEH time sig is alternated bars of 4/4 and 5/4 just like...MONEY! :wink:
More seriously, i understand what you mean by slow developpement and leaving space in the solo.
If only Vinnie had taken some downers in order to sound more like Mason... :mrgreen:


The time sig on WIEH does make it more sound like Pink Floyd.
But, and this is a personal preference, I do like any drummer that ever played in a Zappa band over Nick Mason... :shock:
Nick Mason wants to play symphonic/orchestral, using a lot of timpani and, if not, playing the drums like he is playing timpany.
Zappa drummers always create an interesting texture within a composition.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 7006
Location: exile
Antoine wrote:
I always found the following two songs a good example of plain theft:
- It's A Beautiful Day: Bulgaria (1968)
- Deep Purple: Child In Time (1970)

that's probably one of the most blatant steals in the history of rock music.
amazing how deep purple could get away with it.
both 'versions' are really good, though. 8)

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6916
Location: South wales
Zappa-five five five
Pink floyd-Dogs
:wink: also this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fw6Bsz639E
At 1.35
I never heard the 1975 version Zappa band did,only SUNPYG
was there a diffrence :?:

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:19 am
Posts: 465
Location: San Jose...not Reseda, CA
Both Led Zeppelin and Judas Priest ripped off aspects of 'Lucifer's Friend's' "Ride in the Sky" from 1970.
The song opens with a sax or other brass instrument that Robert Plant must have heard and used on the "Immigrant Song" (he sings the exact melody used by LF) and Judas Priest's "the Island of Domination" is nearly a note for note rip off.

_________________
Music > Everything
CLETUS must now, regretfully, dispose of the ones who refuse to alter their unmusical ways.
http://www.vulturesawait.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 7006
Location: exile
Image
I want you (she's so heavy)
Image
one more red nightmare

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:11 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 3042
Location: Between the Badges
The outro of Todd Rundgren's "King Kong Reggae" off of the album Todd sounds like "Flakes" at times. Makes me sing "Flakes, Flaaaakes" pretty much every time.

Image
1974

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6916
Location: South wales
Brotherhood Of Man-Save All Your Kisses
Dawn-Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Ole Oak Tree
:?

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:07 pm
Posts: 285
bob dylan songs go on and on sometimes? tea anyone? :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:07 pm
Posts: 285
lets all sing along together on zappa radio sing as loud as u can all together now.......... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6916
Location: South wales
Captain Beefheart-Alice in Blunderland from 0.55min
And
Spencer Davis Group - Gimme Some Lovin From 0.12
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFaT69Cy ... re=related

gum gum
Ripping A taffy of :wink:

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:33 am
Posts: 132
Location: United Kingdom
Returning to the subject of Abbey Road rip-offs, has anyone mentioned:

the You Never Give Me Your Money riff at the end of Elvis Costello's Party Girl (sorry folks, but EC is my real favorite lyricist)

and

the slightly altered I Want You She's So Heavy riff which dominates the Cranes' Adrift (sorry folks, but Ali is one of my favorite female singers)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6916
Location: South wales
Flying Burrito Brothers - Christine's Tune
or every song buy the allman brothers :D

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:32 pm
Posts: 174
Location: Novi, Michigan
Has anyone else ever noticed the similarities between "The Only One I Know" by Charlatans
U. K. and "Hush" by Deep Purple" ?

_________________
Hey, pass me the dog food.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 14860
ReetyAwrighty wrote:
Has anyone else ever noticed the similarities between "The Only One I Know" by Charlatans
U. K. and "Hush" by Deep Purple" ?


The music seems to be nearly identical.

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:41 pm
Posts: 247
Location: Midland, Ontario, Canada
BBP wrote:
I loved Rhinoplasty and Videoplasty, actually... it's Antipop I'm upset about. What were they thinking?


I honestly liked Antipop. While some of the songs absolutely blow(Electric Uncle Sam, Mama Didn't Raise No Fool), I think it also has some of their best work(Eclectic Electric, The Final Voyage Of The Liquid Sky, Dirty Drowning Man).

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:41 pm
Posts: 247
Location: Midland, Ontario, Canada
The Ceiling Is Bendin' by The Flaming Lips is an obvious ripoff of Alice Cooper's Levity Ball

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 7006
Location: exile
'soul kitchen' and 'when the music's over' by the doors.

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group