Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Gail's Answers
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:36 am 

While we are all griping, is anyone else annoyed by the "endangered species" lists in the albums? I mean it's minor, but I just don't buy for a second Frank would have started doing that. To me, it's anti evolution. Not that humans don't have adverse effects on the environment, but extinction makes room for more evaluation, and better adaptation. It's part of the natural cycle, and the idea that we are going to exhaust all of our time and energy into ensuring the biosphere remains EXACTLY as it is now is frankly crazy. Furthermore: life on Earth is subject to infinite interlocking cycles. Most species operate on cycles of growth and recession. How many of the species on those endangered lists are simply at a low point in their population cycle? The danger here is that "endangered" species are used time and time again to justify governments robbing property and restricting private land owners rights under the auspices of protecting an insignificant sub-sub-sub species whose place could easily be taken by a newt with only THREE yellow dots. Reading all the times this type of logic was used to rob a farmer of his land, and then turned into a condo or a parking lot or some such thing is really depressing.

http://www.last.fm/music/fowl
http://www.deezer.com/en/#music/fowl
Your mental health requires buying my cd

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:13 am 

Lots hv zish discussn in on' hundread yee's

... the last mohican drat anemic rat fights it out with a monster roach on ... being poised on giving up.

They have not one proper idea left, even experts rather talk about putting off the catastrophe. No lol. A shame really. Frank has said it, probably did the simple math like me has, there is no hope.

Lets preferably prepare for the party what ends all festivities. Former best species have turned their only hope into ..panthesaurus-isms. ..would like to go crazy. Pls give me a bottle, cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:24 pm 

If it would enhance the financial chances that more material could be released more often, I'm all for minimal packaging. You know, a picture on the cover, an insert with pertinient information, and leave it at that. Not lame, just.... short and simple.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:43 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
If it would enhance the financial chances that more material could be released more often, I'm all for minimal packaging. You know, a picture on the cover, an insert with pertinient information, and leave it at that. Not lame, just.... short and simple.

Yes, like the writeups by band members I have enjoyed everytime. More of those!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:48 pm 

FOWL wrote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:

Yes, and I'm waiting for the Ike Willis piece. :mrgreen:

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:57 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
FOWL wrote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:

Hhahaha! You'll have to wait until the fires of hell are on the pumpkin!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:07 pm 

Smashin'. Genuinely once a person with a too broad horizon. Gave us the ideas. Next steps gonna be towards Norway methinks, to a place called Hel, where the Amazons originally came from. On a visit there roman-catholic priests lost their knowledge and put their faith in inferior believing, what they experienced there couldn't be true. Eh, yeah, bright. ...btw the translation from Germans 'Es ist zu hell', and what is this scintilating, yellow, gleaming iets in the sky? where are them fat glasses 8) skoal, prost, to your healph. .... effectually superfluous since the body normally stays so. You see, after twenty centuries of deception humankind has lost all wisdom, cannot even fancy any good times anymore. What? ya, because their notion of that is pretty much sonynamous. ..or sumpfing. Try commenting on a person's doing and you will have big times. The other thing is, when gotten its attention, lead him to the realm of charmed wanderland. Occasionally speak to a friend or to no-one in particular about your wishes and dreams, they might be just waiting to become oh-so-whahhh.

Fingersnip, the sounds a lil louder... ah, the scroll-wheel on the keyboard et voilà. QuED or wo?-)

...the wireless plays now actually some progressive tunitch....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:20 am 

FOWL wrote:
While we are all griping, is anyone else annoyed by the "endangered species" lists in the albums? I mean it's minor, but I just don't buy for a second Frank would have started doing that.

I don't think Gail considers herself obligated to do what Frank would have done.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:19 pm 

pbuzby wrote:
FOWL wrote:
While we are all griping, is anyone else annoyed by the "endangered species" lists in the albums? I mean it's minor, but I just don't buy for a second Frank would have started doing that.

I don't think Gail considers herself obligated to do what Frank would have done.

I don't need to agree with the perspective of "save the _____", cuz the whole thing is a non-sequiter to CC. Its a list. Might as well print the phone book. Is it supposed to make me say "Wow, look at all those species!"? Maybe its some kind of awareness gesture so that some day someone might be inspired to grow up and be an herbologist or eco-warrior? Has CC morphed into "whatever the ZFT likes is de facto CC?" If so, then CC is dead.
I like it when ZFT includes pics, stories from old band members, press clippings... these things while they might not be part of FZ's own perspective of CC, can at least be related to FZ and thereby respect CC in general. But, since the lists are the ZFT's personal agenda outside of FZ, there is no CC except perhaps in a most convoluted way and maybe it even pisses on CC a bit, albeit a gentle well-meaning piss.
I suppose if this makes the ZFT feel like they are doing something important, I'm fine with that. People should be free to do what they feel is right. The, um, fonts are nice. Probably good for their, uh, karma? But, as far as relevence on an FZ project, sorry, "One of these things is not like the others, One of these things just doesn't belong..."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:30 pm 

BBP wrote:
Please, no more fancy packaging! Great cover design works a lot better. I'm still upset about my DAAU purchase of earlier this year: my favourite band but the album totally sucked: had to listen to it song by song, there were only 5 songs (all over 6 mins in length) and it took me 4 times listening to it. Two of the tracks qualify as OK.
I had to pay a fortune for it though. Why? Because they put it in a plywood box. So now I have a really bad album in a very expensive box that I can't put anywhere near the rest of my collection because of the box size. :P Sounds like Their Satanic Majesty's Request.

It was a struggle getting Wazoo out of the box. It really didn't need a digipak since the cover design is the best of the post Civilization era with ease.
Greasy Love Songs really doesn't need the silver, and personally I have an aversion to its look. What would have helped is this: I left the vinyl Ruben at the store since it was never under 20 euros, but why do you create its revival to be more expensive?

THANK YOU! The music is what's important, the packaging isn't! I'd buy it if the CD's were in white sleeves written in pencil (hmmmmmm, where'd I see that before???)

I honestly wish they'd clean more of the vault out and release another YCDTOSA series! One of my questions, that looks to be unanswered was where is the video companion to that set? One of the criteria for the original series was if there was film or video of the performance (#8) And speaking of that series and packaging, THAT was a minimalist concept !

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:51 pm 

Jaminbenb wrote:
BBP wrote:
Please, no more fancy packaging! Great cover design works a lot better. I'm still upset about my DAAU purchase of earlier this year: my favourite band but the album totally sucked: had to listen to it song by song, there were only 5 songs (all over 6 mins in length) and it took me 4 times listening to it. Two of the tracks qualify as OK.
I had to pay a fortune for it though. Why? Because they put it in a plywood box. So now I have a really bad album in a very expensive box that I can't put anywhere near the rest of my collection because of the box size. :P Sounds like Their Satanic Majesty's Request.

It was a struggle getting Wazoo out of the box. It really didn't need a digipak since the cover design is the best of the post Civilization era with ease.
Greasy Love Songs really doesn't need the silver, and personally I have an aversion to its look. What would have helped is this: I left the vinyl Ruben at the store since it was never under 20 euros, but why do you create its revival to be more expensive?

THANK YOU! The music is what's important, the packaging isn't! I'd buy it if the CD's were in white sleeves written in pencil (hmmmmmm, where'd I see that before???)

I honestly wish they'd clean more of the vault out and release another YCDTOSA series! One of my questions, that looks to be unanswered was where is the video companion to that set? One of the criteria for the original series was if there was film or video of the performance (#8) And speaking of that series and packaging, THAT was a minimalist concept !

Well, to be fair, the album art has been minimal on the posthumous releases aside from a few notable exceptions. It's all the bells and whistles that... well... I'd prefer more Trance-Fusion / Wazoo style covers personally.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:23 pm 

Phillly'76 was a fine package.Insert was cool,but what I miss is that FZ would include all the lyrics from his albums.So why no lyrics? They change every show,almost.It would make it easier to tie my non-Zappa friends down and make them sing along.....or no soup for them!
HO,now that cover looks like FZ is the conductor for Thomas The Engine.(PBS) If you dig trains and the Roundhouse affair I suppose it fits.I get it,but as to the extras,baloon,and the jazz discharge party hat-NAW.Save us some money so we can go to the show.
I miss Cal Shenkel's art work. :idea:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:15 am 

Agree with Kaptain Kirk on that. It's the biggest flaw on Halloween: great album, but the lyrics can only be accessed when you're not playing the DVD. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:30 pm 

FOWL wrote:
She said that they had Frank's stereo mixes. Personally I'd prefer they just edit the film and synch to his mixes instead of bothering with surround sound for this release. But it seems like a priority for them which is too bad if it is causing just another hindrance to its release. Of course she is right, editing all that footage is a monolithic job, especially if it is to be done in the style Frank seemed to prefer with segments of ultra fast seizure inducing cuts!

Hmmm. Maybe it we placed this in the capable hands of someone that knows music and can do this, because he/she loves music, not because he is a hot to trot son of a gun or producer for the latest rap album ... heck, I would even consider Steven Wilson ... who can handle a Klaus Schulze as well as a Tangerine Dream as well as his own band, as well as King Crimson ... but I am resigned to the ability of this stuff getting past ... the old fashioned "street music" that Frank got his start on and is being represented in the majority of the stuff being released.

Chop chop is not something that many people can do today ... chop chop is not usually as haphazard as we think it is ... and many times it is accidental and it works ... you might want to give Mike Oldfield's Amarok a quick listen to ... it's all chop chop and he just wanted to give the record company a finger and a left over ... and ended up with a masterpiece ... and it is phenomenal ... and I'm not sure that he even realizes what he did! It's so Zappa'ish ... it's not funny!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:23 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Soracha wrote:
But I like the packaging and the liner notes. And it might be boring to trudge through EVERYTHING to find the greatest/most representative stuff.

EXTENSIVE liner notes. Comes with a DVD-Rom cataloging everything. The box it comes in has a mural of all official releases in the shape of an imperial. I become rich. All the world is at peace with one another. All drugs are legal.

Who should I give my credit card info to? :mrgreen:

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:25 am 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:

BWAHAHA! Keep waiting.... the ZFT just loves him to pieces! :mrgreen: :evil:

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:19 am 

FOWL wrote:
While we are all griping, is anyone else annoyed by the "endangered species" lists in the albums? I mean it's minor, but I just don't buy for a second Frank would have started doing that. To me, it's anti evolution. Not that humans don't have adverse effects on the environment, but extinction makes room for more evaluation, and better adaptation. It's part of the natural cycle, and the idea that we are going to exhaust all of our time and energy into ensuring the biosphere remains EXACTLY as it is now is frankly crazy. Furthermore: life on Earth is subject to infinite interlocking cycles. Most species operate on cycles of growth and recession. How many of the species on those endangered lists are simply at a low point in their population cycle? The danger here is that "endangered" species are used time and time again to justify governments robbing property and restricting private land owners rights under the auspices of protecting an insignificant sub-sub-sub species whose place could easily be taken by a newt with only THREE yellow dots. Reading all the times this type of logic was used to rob a farmer of his land, and then turned into a condo or a parking lot or some such thing is really depressing.

The evolution of new species is a process which takes an enormous amount of time. The human driven extinction takes only a few decades at most some thousand years (which could or could not be the case with the American mammalian mega-fauna). Your concept of attempting to conserve biological diversity as being anti-evolution is unfortunately flawed. Evolution could not sustain biological diversity in face of human driven extinction (i.e. rate of creation of new species is way smaller than the rate of human driven extinctions). Last mass extinctions recorded were all probably driven by great catastrophes and some consider the current rate of habitat loss to have the same effect. If we take a small number of key species off the environment, the whole ecosystem could be at risk of not be able to maintain/sustain itself, leading to extinctions, to abiotic changes, leading to more extinctions in a vicious vortex.

The three yellow dot salamander could have in its own unique genetic make up the key to understand evolution, to new unique genetic resources with virtually infinite applications in technology (medicine, industry, agriculture and so on) and is well deserved to be the subject of study, conservation and survival, why not?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:31 am 

FOWL wrote:
While we are all griping, is anyone else annoyed by the "endangered species" lists in the albums?

Remember when she used to put the names of all who had pre-ordered a ZFT product? (FZ:OZ, MOFO)
The ironic thing MAY be that the most endangered species IS the Frank Zappa 'hard-core' FAN!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:35 am 

vince_de_wild wrote:
FOWL wrote:
While we are all griping, is anyone else annoyed by the "endangered species" lists in the albums?

Remember when she used to put the names of all who had pre-ordered a ZFT product? (FZ:OZ, MOFO)
The ironic thing MAY be that the most endangered species IS the Frank Zappa 'hard-core' FAN!

Hotcha! :mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:42 pm 

pbuzby wrote:
FOWL wrote:

I think Gail should be more obligated since she wants to ensure the artistic integrity of Frank’s music.

IMHO, the “endangered species” list adds no value (“conceptual continuity”) to a release, how about including more historical pictures, artwork, technical facts about the band & venue, band interviews, etc.

If more relevant content is not going to be included, then at least eliminate the research and printing costs for the “endangered species” and pass this savings onto us consumers.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:41 am 

pbuzby wrote:
FOWL wrote:

That's exactly what she said recently, in one of her replies to the 50 questions.

I'm not at all bothered by the endangered species lists. We're all endangered, animals, humans, fans and whatnots. The message in the lists doesn't crash with Frank's conceptual continuity - it's just one more link to the external world.

I think Frank probably would have endorsed the lists. Whatever your opinion on environmental issues, you can't ignore the fact that Zappa wrote Outrage at Valdez and Food Gathering in Post Industrial America. The general tendency of the work is pro-environment, against selfish, corrupt human government.

The endangered species lists are essentially as relevant to the work as the appeals to register and vote. And I don't mind that it's even more Gail's pet than Frank's.

I'll tell you when I think Gail's concepts disturb Frank's work, but that's not the case here.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:37 am 

>>Flo & Eddie material<<

Fillmore is still my favorite but the couch monologs are funny too. Too bad they did not survive to One size fits all.

Zappa in the MOJO issue:..even though I regard Howard as a fine singer and Mark as a great tambourine player and fat person.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:53 pm 

Q: Whatever happened with the lawsuit Frank had with Lennon about the song on his album "Sometime in New York" called "Jamrag", which is actually "King Kong". Did it ever got resolved? because its still listed as a Lennon-Ono song. The only song that credits Zappa in the album is "Scumbag".

A: There is no lawsuit. I have tried to resolve this with Yoko via her attorney - to no avail. You are correct however. It is King Kong and it is so wrong that it is erroneously being claimed as their composition.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:58 am 

patacon wrote:

A: There is no lawsuit. .

WhaaAAAA? :shock:
Jeepers! Yoko's got DEEP POCKETS!!

Sick them lawyers on HER! You could release the entire VAULT with that money!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:43 am 

RogerDaltreysCape wrote:
Based on her answers, the next 15 months or so should be very exciting;

Petite Wazoo

Dance Me This

Flo & Eddie material

73-74 Band material

another Joe's Hemmorrhage early 2011 (which may be one of the above)

8 months later and all we've had is one song. :cry: