Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:11 pm
Posts: 17
http://www.musicdispatch.com/product/vi ... iteid=111&

Just got an email about a tab book for this album, but I'm not too excited because I've gotten them in the past and it never seems to materialize. Anyone have any info on the book? Legit this time? It says release date is going to be 12/27/10? I will hope, but not believe it until I sees it!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:58 pm
Posts: 2142
Location: Birmingham, AL
I like the idea of FZ tab books, but with Apostrophe and Hot Rats, I found myself just kind of skimming the main riffs and not delving much further than that. My memory isn't good enough to learn how to play lengthy improvised solos, and most of the complex written stuff just reminds me of how limited of a guitar player I am. :oops:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:22 pm
Posts: 2270
madcow1515 wrote:
I like the idea of FZ tab books, but with Apostrophe and Hot Rats, I found myself just kind of skimming the main riffs and not delving much further than that. My memory isn't good enough to learn how to play lengthy improvised solos, and most of the complex written stuff just reminds me of how limited of a guitar player I am. :oops:

I like tab books too but I probably don't realize 95% of what's transcribed. Like you Madcow, if it helps me on the main riffs and chord progressions I'm usually satisfied.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:25 am
Posts: 298
Location: Philly
Tab books are helpful, but they also have a few mistakes/incorrect notations. As a trumpet player, there are a lot of cool horn lines (and lines that can be played on the horn) so I started transcribing a lot of FZs stuff because of this. Sent a copy of Montana to Gail. Would like to do this sort of thing professionally.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:09 pm
Posts: 587
Location: atlanta!
maybe it'll help those cover bands play a little better. :wink:

_________________
Who's this dude with his hair straight back?
His new white socks, 'n his pants all black
His T-shirts rolled His watch is gold
A '55 Chevy that his brother just stoled


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:11 pm
Posts: 17
I hear what you're saying about tab books, but I have poor ears for picking out things and these books are really great for us hacks who don't make music our careers but who just want to learn a way to play the song that is pretty damn close, and the books are WAY better than anything on the web!

So, I got an email from music dispatch today that says Overnight Sensation is in! I'm excited and ordering one right now!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:22 pm
Posts: 2270
amyjared wrote:
I hear what you're saying about tab books, but I have poor ears for picking out things and these books are really great for us hacks who don't make music our careers but who just want to learn a way to play the song that is pretty damn close, and the books are WAY better than anything on the web!

So, I got an email from music dispatch today that says Overnight Sensation is in! I'm excited and ordering one right now!!

Cool. I'll definitely get one. I'd like to see One Size Fits All released someday too.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 5908
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
amyjared wrote:
I got an email from music dispatch today that says Overnight Sensation is in! I'm excited and ordering one right now!!

I went to their web site and it still says it's unpublished and only available for pre order.

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6915
Location: South wales
Looks like it's finally for sale :shock:

http://www.halleonard.com/search/search ... rank+zappa

Edit music dispatch has it for sale.
http://www.halleonard.com/consumer/chec ... tailers.do

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:04 pm
Posts: 2813
Location: Chicago, sort of.
I ordered it through Hal Leonard from Music Dispatch, and a couple of weeks later they canceled my order. I'll believe it when I see it.

_________________
Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5675
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
It can be purchased here now....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Frank-Zappa-Over-Ni ... 1273014838

I just ordered one.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6915
Location: South wales
Ronny's Noomies wrote:
I ordered it through Hal Leonard from Music Dispatch, and a couple of weeks later they canceled my order. I'll believe it when I see it.

Well do you believe it now 8)

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:04 pm
Posts: 2813
Location: Chicago, sort of.
Uh, has anyone actually got their hands on one? As in "My OS tab book arrived today!!" When that happens, I'll order mine.

_________________
Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:25 am
Posts: 298
Location: Philly
Mine is in transit. Left CA on Jan.12.

looking forward to Zombie Woof as that would be a bitch to transcribe.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 5908
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
Try the following link:

Used Copies

These are supposedly used copies meaning that they would already have to exist. Sounds bogus to me, especially given that the Hal Leonard Corporation does not acknowledge their existence.

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6915
Location: South wales
polydigm wrote:
Try the following link:

Used Copies

These are supposedly used copies meaning that they would already have to exist. Sounds bogus to me, especially given that the Hal Leonard Corporation does not acknowledge their existence.
Hal Leonard set the list price @ $22.99.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=new
these some there going for cheaper price.

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5675
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
My copy arrived in the mail today (Saturday). I paid $15.95 plus $3.49 for shipping (still well under the suggested retail price) from a seller on Ebay. If you live in or near Ohio, the sellers music store is called Lutherie. Their address is 34 West State Rd, Cleves, Ohio 45002. They have them in stock. I probably could have found a copy locally at Guitar Center or one of the other music stores, but opted for Ebay instead.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT


Most of the sellers on Amazon are rip offs. $60.65 - $62.47 for used and $63.14 - $64.05 for new? :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6915
Location: South wales
SPACEBROTHER wrote:
My copy arrived in the mail today (Saturday). I paid $15.95 plus $3.49 for shipping (still well under the suggested retail price) from a seller on Ebay. If you live in or near Ohio, the sellers music store is called Lutherie. Their address is 34 West State Rd, Cleves, Ohio 45002. They have them in stock. I probably could have found a copy locally at Guitar Center or one of the other music stores, but opted for Ebay instead.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT


Most of the sellers on Amazon are rip offs. $60.65 - $62.47 for used and $63.14 - $64.05 for new? :roll:
I not seen a least one seller a time on amazon with the price under $22.99 Fact.

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 5908
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
SPACEBROTHER wrote:
My copy arrived in the mail today (Saturday).

What's your opinion on it's authenticity/accuracy?

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5675
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
polydigm wrote:
SPACEBROTHER wrote:
My copy arrived in the mail today (Saturday).

What's your opinion on it's authenticity/accuracy?


I haven't had a chance to really break it down yet, but from a quick browse, it's similar to the treatment of Hot Rats and Apostrope ('). One difference is that the transcriptions were done by Paul Pappas for OS, where HR and A(') were done by Andy Aledort. Similarly, parts played by other instruments on the original recording have been arranged for guitar. Also there is a forward written by Warren Cuccurullo. My first impressions are that it is as authentic and accurate as HR and A(') with all of the official ZFT trademark stamps of approval. The charts to Montana and keyboard parts transcribed for guitar on 50/50 look particularly interesting and will be a formidable challenge. Most everything else, with the exception of parts of Zomby Woof are pretty straight forward.

I hope they release books for Roxy, OSFA and ZINY.


here is source to buy it for $17.93....
http://www.ecampus.com/frank-zappa-over ... 0634061103


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 5908
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
Cheers, Spacebrother. I just may take the plunge. Strange, though, that it's not on Barfko.

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6915
Location: South wales
I remember now Andy Aledort said that paul papps transribed Overnight sensation
http://www.guitarworld.com/forums/viewt ... view=print

He also transribed Dirty love full tab 1994 for GFTPM
http://www.afka.net/Mags/Guitar_US.htm#1994Feb

There is Andy Aledort Zappa tab also 1994 for Guitar world
All FZT approved
http://www.afka.net/Mags/Guitar_World.htm#1994Apr

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:25 am
Posts: 298
Location: Philly
SPACEBROTHER wrote:
polydigm wrote:
SPACEBROTHER wrote:
My copy arrived in the mail today (Saturday).

What's your opinion on it's authenticity/accuracy?


I haven't had a chance to really break it down yet, but from a quick browse, it's similar to the treatment of Hot Rats and Apostrope ('). One difference is that the transcriptions were done by Paul Pappas for OS, where HR and A(') were done by Andy Aledort. Similarly, parts played by other instruments on the original recording have been arranged for guitar. Also there is a forward written by Warren Cuccurullo. My first impressions are that it is as authentic and accurate as HR and A(') with all of the official ZFT trademark stamps of approval. The charts to Montana and keyboard parts transcribed for guitar on 50/50 look particularly interesting and will be a formidable challenge. Most everything else, with the exception of parts of Zomby Woof are pretty straight forward.

I hope they release books for Roxy, OSFA and ZINY.


here is source to buy it for $17.93....
http://www.ecampus.com/frank-zappa-over ... 0634061103



What's the issue with Zombie Woof? That's the reason I purchased the book, so I wouldn't have to transcribe all those quintuplets.........


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5675
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
bugler wrote:

What's the issue with Zombie Woof? That's the reason I purchased the book, so I wouldn't have to transcribe all those quintuplets.........


Those are all there, including other instrument parts transcribed for guitar.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:04 pm
Posts: 2813
Location: Chicago, sort of.
OK. It actually exists, so I'm gonna get one. :D

_________________
Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group