Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:39 pm 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
bugler wrote:

What's the issue with Zombie Woof? That's the reason I purchased the book, so I wouldn't have to transcribe all those quintuplets.........

Those are all there, including other instrument parts transcribed for guitar.

OK thanks man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:01 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
OK. It actually exists, so I'm gonna get one. :D

Andy Aldedort ain't no Crook
Paul Pappas Wrote the BOOK :mrgreen: .

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:02 am 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
polydigm wrote:
SPACEBROTHER wrote:
My copy arrived in the mail today (Saturday).

What's your opinion on it's authenticity/accuracy?

I haven't had a chance to really break it down yet, but from a quick browse, it's similar to the treatment of Hot Rats and Apostrope ('). One difference is that the transcriptions were done by Paul Pappas for OS, where HR and A(') were done by Andy Aledort. Similarly, parts played by other instruments on the original recording have been arranged for guitar. Also there is a forward written by Warren Cuccurullo. My first impressions are that it is as authentic and accurate as HR and A(') with all of the official ZFT trademark stamps of approval. The charts to Montana and keyboard parts transcribed for guitar on 50/50 look particularly interesting and will be a formidable challenge. Most everything else, with the exception of parts of Zomby Woof are pretty straight forward.

I hope they release books for Roxy, OSFA and ZINY.

here is source to buy it for $17.93....
http://www.ecampus.com/frank-zappa-over ... 0634061103

Got mine today. As a trumpet player with the guitar talents of possibly a John Lennon, it amazes me how guitar players can transcribe this stuff. Looking at Zomby Woof (as a trumpet player), it's all there with the exception of a blank measure on page 65 top left. Easily remedied. I was a bit taken back by the 10/16 measures thinking they could be 5/8 instead, but I see why now.....

I'm interested in scoring this for all instruments involved, not just a guitar tab.

Overall though, a worthwhile investment.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:46 pm 

I got mine a week or two ago and was really excited for I Am the Slime, but it doesn't seem quite correct. Could be me, but I've seen some tabs online and I watched ZPZ do it from front row and it's close...the others I haven't tackled as yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:17 pm 

amyjared wrote:
I got mine a week or two ago and was really excited for I Am the Slime, but it doesn't seem quite correct. Could be me, but I've seen some tabs online and I watched ZPZ do it from front row and it's close...the others I haven't tackled as yet.
With that
certain track tuner the stings too 20+ on ag tuner or forget it :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:46 pm 

I just do it all by ear. And it sounds horrible.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:48 pm 

Nothing newa for me you just talk shit somehow :smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:52 am 

Okay, mine arrived in the post (... sneaks out a tentative woohoo ...). I'm now going to go over it with a fine toothed comb. I'll report back later.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:15 am 

I have been redesigning my personal website and plan to release it within the next few day.

There, I have a page dedicated to transcriptions of mostly horn parts (trumpet, sax, trombone) from Apostrophe and Over-nite Sensation. The charts are all in pdf form so you can print them and practice/learn the parts.

The horn charts were transcribed with some help from the Hal Leonard books, but there are several errors in thoose books which I have corrected, the most glaring one was Nanook Rubs It. The section where Frank says "I took a dog doo snow cone" and then you hear the sound effect which sounds like a fart when the ice cream cone gets stuffed into his right eye. You know what I'm talking about. It's rythmically incorrect. The Hal Leonard book has the 1st "fart" being played on beat 6, which is fine, but the next "fart" comes on beat 5 - not beat 6. There's also a "fart" left out of the Hal Leonard chart where Frank sings "I injured the fur trapper" That "fart" comes on beat 3. All these farts PLUS the ad lib trumpet solo have been included in the chart. I have several other charts which were not composed specifically for horns, but since Frank was known to throw horn players a curve (Hey - you guys play Rollo Interior instead of Ruth), some of them might be of interest. I'll probably include them. Theme from Lumpy Gravy, Uncle Meat, King Kong, several from Hot Rats.

As a horn player, I know how frustrating it is NOT to be able to have the charts to this incredible music in hand. Now we will.

Stay tuned.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:44 am 

bugler wrote:
I have been redesigning my personal website and plan to release it within the next few day.

There, I have a page dedicated to transcriptions of mostly horn parts (trumpet, sax, trombone) from Apostrophe and Over-nite Sensation. The charts are all in pdf form so you can print them and practice/learn the parts.

The horn charts were transcribed with some help from the Hal Leonard books, but there are several errors in thoose books which I have corrected, the most glaring one was Nanook Rubs It. The section where Frank says "I took a dog doo snow cone" and then you hear the sound effect which sounds like a fart when the ice cream cone gets stuffed into his right eye. You know what I'm talking about. It's rythmically incorrect. The Hal Leonard book has the 1st "fart" being played on beat 6, which is fine, but the next "fart" comes on beat 5 - not beat 6. There's also a "fart" left out of the Hal Leonard chart where Frank sings "I injured the fur trapper" That "fart" comes on beat 3. All these farts PLUS the ad lib trumpet solo have been included in the chart. I have several other charts which were not composed specifically for horns, but since Frank was known to throw horn players a curve (Hey - you guys play Rollo Interior instead of Ruth), some of them might be of interest. I'll probably include them. Theme from Lumpy Gravy, Uncle Meat, King Kong, several from Hot Rats.

As a horn player, I know how frustrating it is NOT to be able to have the charts to this incredible music in hand. Now we will.

Stay tuned.

Zappa Horn Charts available here:

http://www.gotobugler.com

click the "Music" tab, then "transcriptions" tab. Hope you like.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:14 pm 

bugler
Looked at i'm the slime A#.no way oozay :smoke:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:01 pm 

polydigm wrote:
Okay, mine arrived in the post (... sneaks out a tentative woohoo ...). I'm now going to go over it with a fine toothed comb. I'll report back later.
Well is it worth A dental floss :smoke:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:36 pm 

cleon wrote:
bugler

It's scored for B flat instruments.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:57 pm 

cleon wrote:
bugler

What instrument do you play?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:22 am 

The one hal Leonard transcribed HR, ',OS, Zappa books for,which seem too be the ones on your web page :!:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:00 am 

cleon wrote:
The one hal Leonard transcribed HR, ',OS, Zappa books for,which seem too be the ones on your web page :!:

I don't understand your reply, which did not answer my original question which was "What instrument do you play?"

I would expect a reply like "guitar", "keyboards", "drums", etc. That would help me address YOUR original point about "A# - no way!".

So here's deal:

I'll assume (for this discussion) you play guitar and did not know that your instrument was pitched in the key of C, and that you did not know that trumpets (IN THIS CASE and for the purpose of this discussion) are pitched in Bb. In order for a trumpet player (or tenor sax) to read and play the music in the same pitch as a guitar or keyboard, the music must be transposed a whole step higher. So "I'm The Slime" to which you referred is written in the key of "A" for guitar & keys. Trumpet, sax and bone therefore play in the key of B (a shitty key for sure, but that's not my fault) which renders all A's sharp (A#).

So, to further examine your question, there are several A#'s in the trumpet, sax parts. Which one bothers you? I will assume it's the one 5 measure's before the verse, since that is a legitimate observation/ complaint and one I did go over several times prior to publishing the chart. Each chart is recorded as a midi file which I played back and matched up to the original recording (I could email these midi files to you).

I think I was up front about the fact that I did plan to use the Hal Leornard books (which are GUITAR focused) as a guide for a lot of these charts, but I also mentioned previously that there were several errors in all the HL books and I corrected those errors, or at least tried to. There may be a couple I missed, but that's what YOU all are there for, my friends - to proof read this stuff. Frank didn't publish his music so we have to transcribe it. The guys did a great job with the guitar parts.

But I didn't just use the HL books. I played the parts on my instrument, used midi playback, used a keyboard, used other software to the isolate each part.

Now, if you find something truely incorrect, it will gladly be fixed in a matter of minutes. In conclusion, Zappa wrote those intervals that way - he has E natural, G# and A natural (on the master chart in C) which translates to F#, A# and B natural on a Bb trumpet.

The ultimate goal would be to have an accurate full score for each of FZ's compositions. I plan on doing this in the near future and I am open to offers of collaboration.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:09 am 

bugler wrote:
cleon wrote:

I don't understand your reply, which did not answer my original question which was "What instrument do you play?"

That got too be a joke :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:14 am 

Location: on the ether from www.deliciousagony.com only fair wave left methinks
Overnigh' what??

oh, standing ovations, ney-neh? ghehe

ya wa? the mewzick's pretty spectacular, geez. ..where's me chic cap swaggering to? rather mad. If only others would hark. Next phing on the wish-list gonna be a web-capable mobile iets, an hify-amp powered by solar-panels and propellers on that drat hat.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:14 pm 

Different sharps or flats for certain instruments must have been used i would say for a full chart instruments scores where they just used it a way too find which place they should be looking. keyboards real tuff in it own right right the same pitch notes same as different wrote for treble and bass clef.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:55 pm 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
polydigm wrote:
SPACEBROTHER wrote:
My copy arrived in the mail today (Saturday).

What's your opinion on it's authenticity/accuracy?

I haven't had a chance to really break it down yet, but from a quick browse, it's similar to the treatment of Hot Rats and Apostrope ('). One difference is that the transcriptions were done by Paul Pappas for OS, where HR and A(') were done by Andy Aledort. Similarly, parts played by other instruments on the original recording have been arranged for guitar. Also there is a forward written by Warren Cuccurullo. My first impressions are that it is as authentic and accurate as HR and A(') with all of the official ZFT trademark stamps of approval. The charts to Montana and keyboard parts transcribed for guitar on 50/50 look particularly interesting and will be a formidable challenge. Most everything else, with the exception of parts of Zomby Woof are pretty straight forward.

I hope they release books for Roxy, OSFA and ZINY.

here is source to buy it for $17.93....
http://www.ecampus.com/frank-zappa-over ... 0634061103
$14.53 :smoke:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=new

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:51 am 

@cleon: I almost never understand your writings. Please learn some rudimentary English and/or keep away from drugs!

Th.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:49 am 

Thinman wrote:
@cleon: I almost never understand your writings. Please learn some rudimentary English and/or keep away from drugs!

Th.
Or your could always put me on Ignore you Thick Stupid Asshole :smoke:

What you crying for anyway because you was wrong and a ignorant shit face in the Pignose thread last week and thought you give it some time before you made yourself look like a Asshole again you haven't even post in this thread till today and already you made a ASSHOLE OF YOUSELF.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:54 pm 

soon as I got Money this Fuck thing be in the bag :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:53 pm 

madcow1515 wrote:
I like the idea of FZ tab books, but with Apostrophe and Hot Rats, I found myself just kind of skimming the main riffs and not delving much further than that. My memory isn't good enough to learn how to play lengthy improvised solos, and most of the complex written stuff just reminds me of how limited of a guitar player I am. :oops:

I think that you are giving up too soon.

Instead of thinking that, why don't you play it, and then ACCOMPANY it creating your own harmony or counter piece to go with the music ... if all you can do is compare yourself to another, you're never going to do well, but you might one day find a streak of a feeling and flow within you, that might help you become the musician you deserve to be, but are too scared to become ...

Have guts will find music!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:19 pm 

polydigm wrote:
i ASK again is it worth it