Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:53 am 

No I can't but that was not the question, they went beyond their potential, they say so them selves, much of the later stuff was done to make money, I last saw them in 72 at ford auditorium, the only visual was a gong that lit with fire during set the controls to the heart of the sun, they were the only band; played 2 sets with a 40 minute intermission. They also played in 360 deg. quad, the sound was studio perfect.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:02 am 

Plook wrote:
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
Caputh wrote:
Pink Floyd - they started off great, but then they had to fire their most creative member and then spend the rest of their career writing songs about him :P

Totally disagree, any one that has seen them live was amazed

With the loss of RW, they are pretty much an over priced cover band... :smoke:

Just teasing :wink: I do listen to the stuff after Syd's departure but (and seriously now) I think they should have changed their name. Why? If you listen to "Interstellar Overdrive", "Vegetable Man", "Scream Thy Last Scream" (both officially unreleased and both the best thing the Floyd ever did IMO) or even "Jugband Blues", you can see the direction that Syd wanted to take them in i.e. improvisation. The band afterwards was interested in structuring their albums (just read Mason's autobiography on the making of "A Saucerful of Secrets"). I think Syd, even in his madness, was correct in describing them as "Architecture students...rather uninteresting sorts of people." They DID produce interesting music after his departure, but a) I think they wrote too many songs/albums about Syd afterwards b) I don't want to hear another song about Waters and his mum/dad/money (and nor did Glimour, Wright or Mason, if you read/listen to the interviews). Plus Waters is doing "the Wall" again.
Mind you. I love them all in interviews... :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:11 am 

My favorite album is Umaguma, then obscured by the clouds, and last Dark Side. These would be all you need in a collection

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:15 am 

All great albums - the "live" side of Ummagumma contains the best version of "Astonomy Dominé", I must admit and I have a soft spot for part one of the "Narrow Way", too - although Gilmour apparently finds it totally embarassing.
On "Meddle" "Fearless" is possibly one of their best and on "Dark Side" "Brain Damage" is the only "Syd is gone" song that I can accept as heartfelt and not exploitation.
I haven't listened to "Obscured" for a while, I must admit...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:05 pm 

madcow1515 wrote:
I agree that that those guys contributed a lot during the band's prime, but come on, can you really sit through A Momentary Lapse of Reason?

Absolutely. And The Division Bell is excellent too.

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:35 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
Absolutely. And The Division Bell is excellent too.

Fair enough. You, sir, are a bigger Pink Floyd fan than I.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:33 am 

Besides the totally stoner oriented Echoes thing, Pink Floyd had two truelly great releases, DSOTM & WYWH...there rest are very choppy although they contian some great songs... :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:31 pm 

Plook wrote:
Besides the totally stoner oriented Echoes thing, Pink Floyd had two truelly great releases, DSOTM & WYWH...there rest are very choppy although they contian some great songs... :smoke:

Animals Fuckin' Rules! My favorite anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:49 am 

KillUgly wrote:
Plook wrote:

I think all Floyd albums rule!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:08 am 

Even "the Final Cu(n)t"? Although, I would make an argument for "Not now, John".

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:14 am 

Caputh wrote:
Even "the Final Cu(n)t"? Although, I would make an argument for "Not now, John".

The Final Cut has really grown on me over the years. Musically, it's pretty subdued, but the lyrics are great. It's basically a Roger Waters solo album with "Pink Floyd" written on it though.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:25 am 

Body Count
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSvD5SM_uI4

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:18 pm 

I agree that Blind Faith made a great album and then fizzled out while touring to promote it.

Clapton's other band, Derek & The Dominos had a similiar fate. The Layla album was great, but the problem was that without Duane Allman, the band didn't have the same dynamic and they were unable to reproduce that while touring without him. That is why they only had one live album after Layla and that was pretty much it. Think about it. As great a guitarist as Clapton is, the main attraction to the Layla album is the interplay between Eric's lead and Duane's slide. It really defined their sound. Clapton needed someone great like Duane to push him and keep at his best.

Rockpile is another band that should have gone far, but they split after recording one album, although the same band performed on solo albums of Nick Lowe and Dave Edmunds.

The power trio West, Bruce, and Laing made a great debut album and appeared to be a supergroup, but the follow up album sucked and they split.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:33 pm 

KillUgly wrote:
Plook wrote:

Yeah, it's like Animals was the 'forgotten' album..
I don't remember Floyd playing any of it in those later concerts
Roger Waters did some on a DVD I saw which was nice..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:48 am 

Guns 'n' Roses

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:31 pm 

Curved Air

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:54 pm 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
My favorite album is Umaguma, then obscured by the clouds, and last Dark Side. These would be all you need in a collection

That would be all you might need , but others like the original band with Syd.

Hate to say it , but you NEED Piper at the Gates of Dawn with See Emily Play to really have a good handle on the band. The lp was recorded down the hall , with the exception of Intersteller Overdrive , from the studio The Beatles were in doing the Peppers lp. Paul said Piper was BETTER than Peppers and if you listen to Peppers real close , you might find some similarities.

3 lps just won't do it.

Blind Faith was an incredible studio recording . Unfortunately , the live lp really shows where the good herion at the time was. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:20 pm 

cleon wrote:

Good call.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:26 am 

pedro2 wrote:
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:

That would be all you might need , but others like the original band with Syd.

Hate to say it , but you NEED Piper at the Gates of Dawn with See Emily Play to really have a good handle on the band. The lp was recorded down the hall , with the exception of Intersteller Overdrive , from the studio The Beatles were in doing the Peppers lp. Paul said Piper was BETTER than Peppers and if you listen to Peppers real close , you might find some similarities.

3 lps just won't do it.

Blind Faith was an incredible studio recording . Unfortunately , the live lp really shows where the good herion at the time was. :roll:

I agree with that, buy them all, if you want more complicated music that is underappreciated but great,switch to Colosseum.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:30 am 

Warrior Soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:48 am 

The Beatles
blame Yoko

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:28 am 

:smoke:
KillUgly wrote:
The Beatles. Those guys really could have been something if Yoko hadn't come along and screwed everything up.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:42 pm 

Joy Division did live up to their potential even though it was cut short after just two albums. Talented band.

You just don't understand, You're from Kalamazoo.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:21 pm 

I have to agree, Miltie.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:05 pm 

KillUgly2 wrote:
:smoke:
KillUgly wrote:
The Beatles. Those guys really could have been something if Yoko hadn't come along and screwed everything up.

Wow KU2, we must've been cosmic twins in the front-life

Hey, what about Ayers Rock?
The first 3 albums were awesome...then they changed their name to Uluru and the whole thing went to shit

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next