It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:09 am 

Is this really what the band is being labeled as now? Rrrrrreally? :roll:

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:58 am 

Less is more. Nobody is going to say "I went to Dweezil Zappa Plays Zappa: Accept No Substitutes" in the same way almost nobody uses a lengthy title, such as "or how I learnt to stop worrying and love the bomb", that Fiona Apple album, that Floyd album Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars... No one does.
(for more entertaining long titles check http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LongTitle.)

Summarizing:

Le Sigh. Dweezil: get in touch with reality.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:21 am 

It's absolutely true. There is no other Dweezil Zappa Plays Zappa out there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:35 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:

PiB likes this. :mrgreen:

And yes, BBP - I agree wholeheartedly. But, for the record, Floyd doesn't have an album called that, just a song (the album is Ummagumma).

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:36 am 

So now I'm wondering (any lawyers in the house?): could you perform with a band called: Dweezil Zappa Plays Zappa: The Substitute? :wink:

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:41 am 

I don't care what it is called he will never get another dime from me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:44 am 

OBDULA X wrote:

Ouch! Did he touch you, Obdula? :shock:

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:04 am 

Once, he touched my heart. Now, I WILL accept substitutes. I will never buy a project that will benefit him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:39 am 

This has been going on for years now. Same crap, getting worse by the years.

"Well, can't you see that's the last act of a desperate man?" (Blazing Saddles, 1974)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:45 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

PiB likes this. :mrgreen:

And yes, BBP - I agree wholeheartedly. But, for the record, Floyd doesn't have an album called that, just a song (the album is Ummagumma).

AH! I'm busted! Yes, I'm not a pure Floyd fan, although I like them. I own and have watched The Wall but failed to recognize In The Flesh when Primus covered it.
(hangs head in shame)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:01 am 

BBP wrote:
AH! I'm busted!

Ha - no worries... I was just trying to correct "the record".

Interesting side-note on the naming of his act (DZPZ:ANS(C)):
If he's going to take the steps to specify his first name in there, the least the guy can do is specify his father's name then, no? I mean, isn't HE kind of the whole point of the whole thing!?!? Fuck me....

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:49 am 

I certainly won't accept any substitute for DZPZ - you know, a Zappa cover band imitating Dweezil's band... But I sure won't turn down the next opportunity to see a band of real Mothers and Zappa alumni either, especially if Roy is found innocent and promptly sent on the road with the Grandmothers... Come to think of it, I would attend a Grandmothers show even if that was Roy's sentence, to go touring with the guys again...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:47 pm 

OBDULA X wrote:

Still whining, still bellyaching, still acting like a a spoiled brat who dropped his lollipop and didn't get a new one handed to him immediately. Grow the fuck up.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:16 pm 

The best time I ever had going to see a Zappa tribute band was Ike Willis w/ the Pojama People. Just don't give Ike any money in advance of a potential cd purchase. Ike's a hell of alot of fun to talk to though. ZPZ is my 2nd favorite Zappa cover band at this point.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:10 pm 

blsabob23 wrote:
OBDULA X wrote:

Still whining, still bellyaching, still acting like a a spoiled brat who dropped his lollipop and didn't get a new one handed to him immediately. Grow the fuck up.

You can't make me. You are a stupidhead !

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:29 pm 

I'm going to see the DZPZ:ANS© tonight.
Can't wait.
6th time will be a good time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:30 pm 

Just for the record: I'll accept all the goddamn substitutes I want.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:16 am 

This is not a whinge, just a statement of fact: I listen to substitutes quite often. I bought the ZPZ DVD and watched it once. I was very impressed but have not been inspired to watch it again. On the other hand, I have Le Bocal's Zappa Memorial Barbecue CD and because they do their own interpretations and do them with several levels of kick ass I keep on listening to them, I really dig every track on their album. It's like a new album, whereas the ZPZ is just an attempt at a mirror image, which is great live but doesn't inspire repeated listening.

Others I listen to often: Colin Towns and the NDR big band and the Zappa's Funny Smells CD, Ed Palermo and his Loves Frank CD, Struber Z'Tett Plays Zappa Les Noces De Dada, The Grandmothers Night At The Gewandhaus. There are others. To tell you the truth, if you really think about the meaning of the word substitute, mirror images are substitutes, these other albums are listenable in their own right.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:48 am 

polydigm wrote:
This is not a whinge, just a statement of fact: I listen to substitutes quite often. I bought the ZPZ DVD and watched it once. I was very impressed but have not been inspired to watch it again. On the other hand, I have Le Bocal's Zappa Memorial Barbecue CD and because they do their own interpretations and do them with several levels of kick ass I keep on listening to them, I really dig every track on their album. It's like a new album, whereas the ZPZ is just an attempt at a mirror image, which is great live but doesn't inspire repeated listening.

Others I listen to often: Colin Towns and the NDR big band and the Zappa's Funny Smells CD, Ed Palermo and his Loves Frank CD, Struber Z'Tett Plays Zappa Les Noces De Dada, The Grandmothers Night At The Gewandhaus. There are others. To tell you the truth, if you really think about the meaning of the word substitute, mirror images are substitutes, these other albums are listenable in their own right.

Very well said. I haven't heard most of the cd's you reference but the Ed Palermo stuff is a fresh new spin that inspires further listening. If Frank were still alive and touring you know just about everything would be rearranged. That said, although I liked the earlier tours better with the alumni (pre-Ben), ZPZ really does come off well live. I just hate Dweezil's stance though, that he is the only one that should be playing Frank's music. Accept no substitutes, my ass!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:19 pm 

KillUgly wrote:
polydigm wrote:
... Le Bocal's Zappa Memorial Barbecue CD ... Colin Towns and the NDR big band and the Zappa's Funny Smells CD, Ed Palermo and his Loves Frank CD, Struber Z'Tett Plays Zappa Les Noces De Dada, The Grandmothers Night At The Gewandhaus ...
I haven't heard most of the cd's you reference ...
If you haven't got Le Bocal's album, you really have to get it. Their version of Take Your Clothes Off is fantastic. The electric violin on King Kong is out there. All the tracks still grab me and I've had this for years. Some idiot wrote a review on Amazon complaining about their avoidance of complex time signatures ... obviously has no idea because there are complex time changes all over this and they are tighter than a gnat's ass. Their arrangements are quite deep on a variety of levels. Some of the tracks grabbed me straight away, others grew on me over time, I still catch myself being impressed by some detail or other. Their Green Genes seriously kicks ass. This is my favourite Zappa tribute CD.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:46 pm 

polydigm wrote:
KillUgly wrote:
polydigm wrote:
... Le Bocal's Zappa Memorial Barbecue CD ... Colin Towns and the NDR big band and the Zappa's Funny Smells CD, Ed Palermo and his Loves Frank CD, Struber Z'Tett Plays Zappa Les Noces De Dada, The Grandmothers Night At The Gewandhaus ...
I haven't heard most of the cd's you reference ...
If you haven't got Le Bocal's album, you really have to get it. Their version of Take Your Clothes Off is fantastic. The electric violin on King Kong is out there. All the tracks still grab me and I've had this for years. Some idiot wrote a review on Amazon complaining about their avoidance of complex time signatures ... obviously has no idea because there are complex time changes all over this and they are tighter than a gnat's ass. Their arrangements are quite deep on a variety of levels. Some of the tracks grabbed me straight away, others grew on me over time, I still catch myself being impressed by some detail or other. Their Green Genes seriously kicks ass. This is my favourite Zappa tribute CD.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:36 am 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:57 pm 

polydigm wrote:

Agreed..as long as Franks music is being played well...I am all for it. I could care less if Justin Bieber played Franks music as long as it was done correctly....okay maybe thats a stretch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:26 am 

Even if it's not played well it shouldn't matter
Did Johnny 'Guitar' Watson ever sue Frank for doing a bad cover version when he was in the Blackouts?
Crappy Zappa tribute bands won't last if they don't get their shit together
There really is no money to be made in a Zappa tribute, it has to be a labour of love

Tweezerglint were pretty crap when they first started out, but after years of persistence,
and thanks to the dedication of the honourable Mr Dave, they evolved into Petulant Frenzy,
the most superfinest rockin' 11 piece combo in Australia.

They still have their day jobs tho'

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:48 am 

I have nothing against Dweezil Zappa but I find it rather ironic that one is encouraged to accept no substitutes by a substitute