Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:24 am 

For thoughts and opinions on 'Feeding the Monkies at Ma Maison' / Synclaviermania ONLY --
Please do not hijack this thread! Seriously --

Trendmonger and the other annoying guy, please feel free to comment in the other FTMAMM thread, thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:41 am 

The 3-D effect doesn't come through too well in the photos -- looks much better in real life :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:51 am 

FalseDichotomy wrote:
The 3-D effect doesn't come through too well in the photos -- looks much better in real life :mrgreen:
A big thank you for uploading this, FD -- I love gimmick covers, fancy foldouts etc. etc., and i happily endorse that 1970s corrugated-plastic 3-D effects stuff, yet I'm still almost entirely sure that popsicles didn't play a prominent role in Synclavier circuitry, even back in the 80s... great release, nevertheless, can't wait...

:)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:04 pm 

Cool snaps - yeah I can't wait for it to be delivered. I'm in Ireland so I expect it's going to take a while. I love gimmick covers too, I was only stroking FZ's partial goatee on FZ Plays FZ this very afternoon!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:49 pm 

I'm really diggin' this release so far. Had to stop it after "side one" and brew a pot of coffee in honor of FZ. I like that the music really does sound like a bridge between Jazz From Hell and Civilization Phaze III. I think this is gonna help me appreciate and enjoy C3 more, since--beyond a few numbers--it's a hard album to get into, but the stuff I swoon for on that album is very satisfying. So: yay.

Oh, the packaging is rad, too. It reminds me of the Pete's Dragon and Pac-Man storytime albums I used to listen to. And a cool shot of Frank and gear.

Thank you, Gail (and Joe)!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:09 pm 

Packaging does look/sound cool.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:31 pm 

Yeah. I like the randomness of it. Gail sure has a sense for that. I can't wait to hear this. Fz's synclavier stuff is for me the most interesting stuff he's done. It covers a whole other emotional spectrum than his other music and thus completes the concept in some way. It requires patience to listen to, almost every time. But it's very rewarding!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:28 pm 

Oh man! Am I ever pumped to hear this consensus of a bridge between JFH and CPIII. I absolutely love both albums, but tend to listen to JFH a whole lot more. That type of frantic composition, I can't get enough of it. But the idea that I can hear him somewhat still in that mode, with a few years advancement on the tonal quality... man.... this could be an all time favourite for me. Shit... I'm psyching myself up now, calm down Noah... I haven't even heard it yet!

http://www.last.fm/music/fowl
http://www.deezer.com/en/#music/fowl
Your mental health requires buying my cd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:45 am 

Since (most of) Frank's synclavier compositions aren't my cup of tea (except for a couple of songs from JFH en CPIII), i was not going to order Feeding The Monkies...

But because of some of the positive reactions i've read (after skipping through page after page of Trendwhore's verbal diarreah) so far, curiousity has gotten the best of me.

So now, i have just ordered the album trough UK buddy Dave (G & S Music).

All i need to do now is dust off my almost forgotten Paypal account :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:03 am 

lol!
yesterday I found out 'bout this album!

Is it any good? any details when was it recorded? was it ment to be an album originaly or?

any news bout more releases by end of the year?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:48 am 

Flea wrote:
lol!

Is it any good? any details when was it recorded? was it ment to be an album originaly or?

Haven't heard it yet, but yes it is supposedly an original Zappa production (hence it is on the Zappa Records label). At least the first three compositions. I am not sure about the whole shebang. Timewise it should be made between JFH and CPIII.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:51 am 

HJ wrote:
Flea wrote:
lol!

Haven't heard it yet, but yes it is supposedly an original Zappa production (hence it is on the Zappa Records label). At least the first three compositions. I am not sure about the whole shebang. Timewise it should be made between JFH and CPIII.

According to the liner notes, the first three compositions were recorded in late 1986.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:20 am 

Easily the best ZFT release yet. Did I say THANK YOU yet?
For those who don't dig it, try taking some mind-expanding/rotting drugs and give it a whirl.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:23 pm 

This got me back into Fz's synclavier stuff. Listening to Perfect Stranger right now. I like the primitive creepiness.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:29 pm 

Soracha wrote:
This got me back into Fz's synclavier stuff. Listening to Perfect Stranger right now. I like the primitive creepiness.

Mmm primitive creepiness :P

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:54 am 

brainpang wrote:
For those who don't dig it, try taking some mind-expanding/rotting drugs and give it a whirl.

Did that.....but then again I always listen to FZ while I'm on uh.... art supplies.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:58 am 

Galoot Co-Log-Nuh wrote:
brainpang wrote:

Did that.....but then again I always listen to FZ while I'm on uh.... art supplies.

Ha! Art supplies.... nice! Like sniffing glue? :mrgreen:

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:38 pm 

Found the album in my mailbox a few mins ago, currently listening to track 1 :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:37 pm 

Art supplies, more like painting with your synapses!

http://www.last.fm/music/fowl
http://www.deezer.com/en/#music/fowl
Your mental health requires buying my cd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:37 pm 

Got it a few days ago, and listened to it once through so far. Excellent disc :!: The extended CPIII tracks are a real treat, and the title track is my favorite so far. I was going to wait until later in the year for this, but the reviews looked intriguing. Nice package design and liner notes by Yvega. I actually have enjoyed most of GZ's recent liner notes when there's some cool story/recollection of Frank but in this one it seems to be about taking a shot at Ryko, because they didn't see eye to eye on what to release posthumously.

Anyone notice on the back cover a typo- the track titles where the copyright year is listed - shouldn't Worms From Hell say 1987(year Video From Hell was released), instead of 1997?

Also to reiterate, musictoday sucks. $8 to ship a CD :x Bastards. You're basically giving them a $5 tip on that. Best part for that price is my sleeve had a small crease in the corner due to their non-sturdy shit cardboard mailers :roll: . Not worth the hassle sending it back for a replacement.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:23 am 

The cover art for this release says it all.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:23 pm 

They seriously need to give this one a flash intro now.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:25 pm 

Soracha wrote:

ummmmmm Perfect Stranger has nothing to do with synclavier, moron.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:26 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
Got it a few days ago, and listened to it once through so far. Excellent disc :!: The extended CPIII tracks are a real treat, and the title track is my favorite so far. I was going to wait until later in the year for this, but the reviews looked intriguing. Nice package design and liner notes by Yvega. I actually have enjoyed most of GZ's recent liner notes when there's some cool story/recollection of Frank but in this one it seems to be about taking a shot at Ryko, because they didn't see eye to eye on what to release posthumously.

Anyone notice on the back cover a typo- the track titles where the copyright year is listed - shouldn't Worms From Hell say 1987(year Video From Hell was released), instead of 1997?

Also to reiterate, musictoday sucks. $8 to ship a CD :x Bastards. You're basically giving them a $5 tip on that. Best part for that price is my sleeve had a small crease in the corner due to their non-sturdy shit cardboard mailers :roll: . Not worth the hassle sending it back for a replacement.

this bugs the fuck outta me. make them send u another one!!! assholes!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:31 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
Soracha wrote:

ummmmmm Perfect Stranger has nothing to do with synclavier, moron.

The Perfect Stranger album has 4 synclavier tracks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next