Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:49 am 

<insert pic of troll here>

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:10 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:17 pm 

Ha! Thanks BBP!

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:41 pm 

I don't look anything like that. I've no green cap, see?
Aw, look, can't we all be friends?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:06 am 

It's a question of where it's being played. I was in the casualty waiting room the other day in serious pain and some kid was playing a game on their mobile phone with the sound turned up. This manic game theme just going over and over. I was just about to speak up when the whole family just got up and left. To me that's just plain selfish, it has nothing to do with that kid's right to play drivel. Life's a bit more complicated than that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:13 am 

polydigm wrote:
It's a question of where it's being played. I was in the casualty waiting room the other day in serious pain and some kid was playing a game on their mobile phone with the sound turned up. This manic game theme just going over and over. I was just about to speak up when the whole family just got up and left. To me that's just plain selfish, it has nothing to do with that kid's right to play drivel. Life's a bit more complicated than that.

Oh god yeah, I meant people have the right to play drivel but in their own homes, or if in public with headphones... and not those crappy headphones that leak sound either! "Drivel" in this case should mean ANY music, though, shouldn't it? One man's meat is another man's poison and all that (I hope you're doing ok now).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:09 am 

buffalo_voice wrote:
For thoughts and opinions on 'Feeding the Monkies at Ma Maison' / Synclaviermania ONLY --
Please do not hijack this thread! Seriously --

Okay, I'm fine with that... Any thoughts on similarities between Worms From Hell and Beat The Reaper?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:29 am 

polydigm wrote:

Yes, there's certainly a time and place for everything and that sounds very disrespectful to me. Hope you're feeling better...

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:22 am 

For everybody in Germany, JPC has listed this already: http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/home/search?fastsearch=Zappa&pd_orderby=datedesc
Plus the OSFA book. But I will wait 'til they have Carnegie Hall (plus what else will come in the next weeks) and order it all together.

BTW, they also deliver worldwide: http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/home/search/-/lang/en/currency/EUR/fastsearch/Zappa/pd_orderby/datedesc
https://www.jpc.de/home/currency#english

Th.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:52 am 

Thinman wrote:
For everybody in Germany, JPC has listed this already: http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/home/search?fastsearch=Zappa&pd_orderby=datedesc
Plus the OSFA book. But I will wait 'til they have Carnegie Hall (plus what else will come in the next weeks) and order it all together.

BTW, they also deliver worldwide: http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/home/search/-/lang/en/currency/EUR/fastsearch/Zappa/pd_orderby/datedesc

Th.

Thanks for that Thin - will explore it. Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:27 am 

IrishBoris wrote:
Thinman wrote:

Th.

They have audio snippets of each track, too: http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/Frank%20Zappa%20Feeding%20The%20Monkies%20At%20Ma%20Maison/hnum/3881709

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:20 am 

Thinman wrote:
IrishBoris wrote:
Thinman wrote:
Th.

They have audio snippets of each track, too: http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/Frank%20Zappa%20Feeding%20The%20Monkies%20At%20Ma%20Maison/hnum/3881709

Brilliant - cool site; we'd better stop now before Buffalo Voice or his henchman Dark Clothes start banging on about being off-topic again. Whoooooooooooo are the forum police?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:49 am 

I don't know about henchmen or police, but there are a number of village idiots around. Ah, but - as Thinman once said - it's impossible to discuss anything here! But drivel can be interesting, too, I'm sure.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:57 am 

Dark Clothes wrote:
I don't know about henchmen or police, but there are a number of village idiots around. Ah, but - as Thinman once said - it's impossible to discuss anything here! But drivel can be interesting, too, I'm sure.

Well this form of forum is a bit "Web 1.0" by now. If there were ways to "like" comment threads, etc. (like other online social networks) - it would be easier to sift through. Until then, here we are!

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:08 am 

Dark Clothes wrote:

Ha! :mrgreen: I definitely put my hand up to the village idiot label. As for it being impossible to discuss anything here - can't there be a few conversations going on at the same time? I once remarked about people being off-topic in another thread and was swiftly told in no uncertain terms that this forum is more like a pub with different chat going on in the one thread. Shrugs. It is what it is I suppose. Personally I find for the most part this forum only has two modes: dry and abusive. Can't we have more personality types about the place and be tolerant of them (not accusing you of being intolerant or abusive by the way)?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:00 am 

Diversity can be a good thing, but sometimes concentration is better. (Dry remark.)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:25 am 

Different personality types is also a good thing, but wouldn't it be great if those different personalities (or Monkies) were discussing remotely the same subject? Personally (or as the Monkey I am) I like keeping some small reference to the original topic, even when tempted to deviate, or forced to retort. I actually think there are some good Monkies here, and keep the naive belief that our collective efforts can illuminate some strange patches in the life and works of Frank Zappa. (Slightly dry, hopefully not abusive remark.)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:43 am 

Dark Clothes wrote:
Diversity can be a good thing, but sometimes concentration is better. (Dry remark.)

There is no diversity if it's only concentration. There must be play and buffoonery at times (Village Idiot remark). It's all good. :wink: I'm not a troll by the way!

Dark Clothes wrote:
Different personality types is also a good thing, but wouldn't it be great if those different personalities (or Monkies) were discussing remotely the same subject? Personally (or as the Monkey I am) I like keeping some small reference to the original topic, even when tempted to deviate, or forced to retort. I actually think there are some good Monkies here, and keep the naive belief that our collective efforts can illuminate some strange patches in the life and works of Frank Zappa. (Slightly dry, hopefully not abusive remark.)

Yeah, you're right, Dark. I do think a little deviation at times doesn't hurt or affect a thread but excessive deviation from the general area of the subject matter isn't in anyone's interest and generally it probably wouldn't happen as much in the threads if the chat room was frequented.

So have you noticed the strange effect with the 3d cover of Monkies? If you look at it it's in 3d and, to be honest, quite blurred... but turn the picture on its side and although the 3d is diminished the picture is much sharper! At the risk of being called petty, I would've preffered the cover to be this way up! (Frank spelt Monkeys wrong too :mrgreen: )

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:21 am 

This deviation is making me thirsty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:54 pm 

Well, I've got it and heard it. I probably won't listen to it again. As much as I love his other music is how much I dislike this stuff. But luckily this is only a small part of his entire body of work.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:01 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Well, I've got it and heard it. I probably won't listen to it again. As much as I love his other music is how much I dislike this stuff. But luckily this is only a small part of his entire body of work.

I hear ya, Cal. I really tried with this one but couldn't get more than a listen to it. Still purchased it in hopes that the $ would be directly transfered to my future copy of the Roxy Bluray... :mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:28 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:

Told ya!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:43 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

Told ya!

Well, yes, but since it was synclavier, the odds weren't good that I was going to like it anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:12 pm 

Its simply too advanced for some of you guys. I really enjoy the timbral diversities and rhythmic complexities. There is logic behind all those insanely fast phrases; give it another listen!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:20 pm 

BlessedRelief18 wrote:
Its simply too advanced for some of you guys.

Right, clearly it comes down to the ability of handling complex patterns aurally. It couldn't possibly have anything to do with a differing opinion in taste, huh? :roll:

Image Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next