Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:23 am 

Frank Zappa.
Buddy Holly & The Crickets.
Janis Joplin.
The Allman Brothers Band.
Lynard Skinard.
Amy Whinehouse.
Richie Valens.
Stevie Ray Vaughn.
Otis Redding.
Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac.
The Big Bopper.
Bobby Darin.
Jimi Hendrix.
John Lennon.
I believe all these people had a hell of alot of great music left in them.They all passed to soon or band members died & one joined COD(PG).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:51 am 

Wild Man Fischer; mind you, he did possibly set his sights a bit too high.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:28 am 

project/object ?

just kidding, I think Andre is a nice guy...for someone in the music business.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:46 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Frank Zappa.
Buddy Holly & The Crickets.
Janis Joplin.
The Allman Brothers Band.
Lynard Skinard.
Amy Whinehouse.
Richie Valens.
Stevie Ray Vaughn.
Otis Redding.
Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac.
The Big Bopper.
Bobby Darin.
Jimi Hendrix.
John Lennon.
I believe all these people had a hell of alot of great music left in them.They all passed to soon or band members died & one joined COD(PG).

Good call there, Kapt. Of course if Jimi was still alive Clive Davis would have him making a duets album with the likes of Rob Thomas, Dave Matthews, and John Mayer.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:03 pm 

I forgot about Savoy Brown.What happend to Kim Simmons? While we are on that bill what became of Atomic Rooster (aka Nuclear Cock).
Ten Years After would have been cool Ten Years Later on and more had they stayed together.But Alvin was destined to play with FZ and thats cool to. 8)

KU2 you mean like "It's a Bieber/Hendrix Christmas duet redux II,the producers cut"? First published-2015.Kill me now if thats what you envisioned could happen if Jimi had lived.Thats just- :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:54 pm 

Kapt. Kirk names most of the early exit ers that coud've reached more heights. I might add Lowell George, Tommy Bolin, Marc Bolan.

I don't add Kurt Cobain on purpose, nor do I add Amy Winehouse. Kurt actually had a musical resume. Amy Winehouse had 'potential'

I also think that Cobain's actual output is mostly shit.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:28 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
I forgot about Savoy Brown.What happend to Kim Simmons? While we are on that bill what became of Atomic Rooster (aka Nuclear Cock).
Ten Years After would have been cool Ten Years Later on and more had they stayed together.But Alvin was destined to play with FZ and thats cool to. 8)

KU2 you mean like "It's a Bieber/Hendrix Christmas duet redux II,the producers cut"? First published-2015.Kill me now if thats what you envisioned could happen if Jimi had lived.Thats just- :twisted:

Jimi had too much artistic integrity. He wouldn't have let that happen like some of these other guys.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:25 pm 

KillUgly2 wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

Jimi had too much artistic integrity. He wouldn't have let that happen like some of these other guys.

I was kidding of course,but do you think he would sell-out,ala tours promoted by Bud ect?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:52 pm 

A beer sponsorship? Sure, why not? I think Jimi liked beer.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:20 pm 

KillUgly2 wrote:

This notes for you as Neil Young used to sing.I think Jimi could of used a stronger manager type.A Peter Grant type with the business savey of a Bill Graham.That way he could write his own contracts and have them inforced.It was known back then that Jimi was an easy touch with money and would say yes without reading the contract.So he would of needed a hands on manager/secratery to keep him finacially fit and alive too.It's to bad but he would have to go commercial or become an cottage industry himself.He'd be to big for a single person to manage.Man,I miss Jimi and the rest! Saw him once,you?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:39 pm 

tweezers wrote:
Kapt. Kirk names most of the early exit ers that coud've reached more heights. I might add Lowell George, Tommy Bolin, Marc Bolan.

I don't add Kurt Cobain on purpose, nor do I add Amy Winehouse. Kurt actually had a musical resume. Amy Winehouse had 'potential'

I also think that Cobain's actual output is mostly shit.

I think Nevermind is okay, but In Utero is great.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:39 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
KillUgly2 wrote:

This notes for you as Neil Young used to sing.I think Jimi could of used a stronger manager type.A Peter Grant type with the business savey of a Bill Graham.That way he could write his own contracts and have them inforced.It was known back then that Jimi was an easy touch with money and would say yes without reading the contract.So he would of needed a hands on manager/secratery to keep him finacially fit and alive too.It's to bad but he would have to go commercial or become an cottage industry himself.He'd be to big for a single person to manage.Man,I miss Jimi and the rest! Saw him once,you?

No. I was only 9 or 10 when Jimi died. I was more of a Partridge Family guy back in those days.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:31 am 

Jimi has the saddest story of being used and ripped off. I am glad that his little sister runs Experience Hendrix, and they do a great job getting the music out. Jimi was such a hard worker, even his practice sessions were good.

For Cal, on Cobain. I just cannot 'get' Nirvana. Otherwise we almos always agree.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:10 pm 

tweezers wrote:
Jimi has the saddest story of being used and ripped off. I am glad that his little sister runs Experience Hendrix, and they do a great job getting the music out. Jimi was such a hard worker, even his practice sessions were good.

For Cal, on Cobain. I just cannot 'get' Nirvana. Otherwise we almos always agree.

Smells Like Teen Spirit and that album are pretty good. The rest doesn't do anything for me. Kinda like the Sex Pistols they were called to pinch hit at a crucial time in music history and and managed to close their eyes, swing as hard as they could, and somehow hit a home run to win the World Series. Never mind (Nevermind - get it) that their career batting average is something like .091.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:13 pm 

Ya know, my apologies to John Lydon. He went on to have a pretty good career with PIL.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:52 am 

I agree on PiL. The Sex Pistols were all hype. Never Mind the Bollocks is unlistenable. But they were marketed as the development of punk. The Clash, to me typify the working-class sensibility and they were good players and wrote good music. Often we are sold commodities like the Sex Pistols to either shock us or to (as Greggory Peccary would say) to let us in on a new trend.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:40 am 

Good Sex Pistols song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XURwbWEaEG8

Two good PIL songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBaQOdsTAKo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0Grj4OR7G0

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:32 am 

tweezers wrote:
I agree on PiL. The Sex Pistols were all hype. Never Mind the Bollocks is unlistenable. But they were marketed as the development of punk. The Clash, to me typify the working-class sensibility and they were good players and wrote good music. Often we are sold commodities like the Sex Pistols to either shock us or to (as Greggory Peccary would say) to let us in on a new trend.

I hear this line a lot from younger folk (don't know if you fall into that group) and I find it is almost as if there is a secret campaign to paint the Pistols that way by "the man," to dismiss them as marketing nonsense, when in fact they were the real deal, a threat. And still could be!

Musically, can't persuade anyone tho' I love it, really one of the handful of orig punk acts to make a great record (I like post-punk, punk-hardcore weirdness-inspired stuff, closer to my age).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:36 am 

brainpang, I will be 58, and hated them when they were out, when I was in mid twenties. Just think that the Clash channelled the anger better and were more musical. And the 'hip' rock reviewers are always trying to make them out to be the second coming or pure rock and roll. My Aim Is True was 100 times better and I think more focused.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:32 pm 

The Sons Of Chaplin.
Greyson Street.
Y&T.
Tower of Power.
Wham!
LOVE.
Rick Springfield.
Buffalo Springfield.
Delaney & Bonnie & friends.
Ned & Nelda.Courtesy of jpd.Thanks bro'. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:55 pm 

tweezers wrote:
brainpang, I will be 58, and hated them when they were out, when I was in mid twenties. Just think that the Clash channelled the anger better and were more musical. And the 'hip' rock reviewers are always trying to make them out to be the second coming or pure rock and roll. My Aim Is True was 100 times better and I think more focused.

I have a question for my fellow Clash fans, did you all take the Big Audio Dynamite ride with Mick Jones, they are my all time underrated band and some of their greatest works were and are completely ignored. Mick’s creativity was so unbelievably deep on such works as Mega Top Phoenix, The Globe, Higher Power, and P-Funk...I could easily give him the FZ Award for Conceptional Continuity. It's a shame he did not have enough of a following to maintain a continues stream of release's, who knows where he could have taken his knack for adding sampling to original music and weaving diverse musical samples with real connectivity to his music, in a word I find the music inspirational and awesome.

:smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:01 pm 

Plook wrote:
tweezers wrote:

I have a question for my fellow Clash fans, did you all take the Big Audio Dynamite ride with Mick Jones, they are my all time underrated band and some of their greatest works were and are completely ignored. Mick’s creativity was so unbelievably deep on such works as Mega Top Phoenix, The Globe, Higher Power, and P-Funk...I could easily give him the FZ Award for Conceptional Continuity. It's a shame he did not have enough of a following to maintain a continues stream of release's, who knows where he could have taken his knack for adding sampling to original music and weaving diverse musical samples with real connectivity to his music, in a word I find the music inspirational and awesome.

:smoke:

Plook, didn't know if you were aware of this but Mick Jones was a contributor to the most recent Gorillaz album and also did some live work with them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:05 pm 

tweezers wrote:

I thought Never Mind the Bullocks was a great one off rock and roll record. I agree the Clash had much more depth, talent, and staying power.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:17 pm 

KillUgly2 wrote:
tweezers wrote:

I thought Never Mind the Bullocks was a great one off rock and roll record. I agree the Clash had much more depth, talent, and staying power.

I like the London Calling album and I don't know why.I just do.Go figure?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:43 pm 

tweezers wrote:

Different Strokes, as they say. I never liked The Clash, can't understand the fuss. And their fans always seemed soooo serious. But, like I said, I don't really like early punk, it's too poppy for me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next