Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:36 am 

I know this got a passing mention in the Carnegie Hall thread, but you can now pre-order copies. For more info, look here:http://www.dweezilzappaworld.com/songs/category/dweezil-zappa-live-in-the-moment

Zappa music and much, much MOO-AH!
www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

Last edited by The Idiot Bastard on Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:42 am 

Very cool!! I was hoping he'd do one of these type things.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:42 am 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:53 am 

Pre-ordered!

Unfortunately there's a track listing, it's in stereo and it will be released as a download. We can only pray there will be a minor delay in its release so we'll have something to bitch about.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:15 pm 

GreenHocher wrote:
Pre-ordered!

Unfortunately there's a track listing, it's in stereo and it will be released as a download. We can only pray there will be a minor delay in its release so we'll have something to bitch about.

lol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:05 am 

GreenHocher wrote:
Pre-ordered!

And the vinyl bootleg will be out any day now, so there is no need to order it from DZ.

I was on the fence about buying this. However, I ended up ordering the CD after reading the information about the release and listening to the samples.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:20 pm 

This is an interesting release that begs some questions. Obviously, Dweezil is following the concept of the SUAPYG, Guitar, and Trance-Fusion albums. If you listen to the samples on his website, without knowing Dweezil is out there doing the ZPZ thing, you would swear it was Frank. Back in the day, before ZPZ, Eddie Van Halen said Dweezil sounded more like him than he did. Now it seems that Dweezil sounds more like FZ than FZ did. I may end up getting this but is does beg the question, "Is this trip really necessary?".

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:53 pm 

KillUgly2 wrote:
This is an interesting release that begs some questions. Obviously, Dweezil is following the concept of the SUAPYG, Guitar, and Trance-Fusion albums. If you listen to the samples on his website, without knowing Dweezil is out there doing the ZPZ thing, you would swear it was Frank. Back in the day, before ZPZ, Eddie Van Halen said Dweezil sounded more like him than he did. Now it seems that Dweezil sounds more like FZ than FZ did. I may end up getting this but is does beg the question, "Is this trip really necessary?".

Indeed. The titles and samples are scary. It is really scary how much he sounds like Frank. I think I will pass for the moment and put on SUAPYG on again.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:49 pm 

Who need this album ?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:52 pm 

It's pretty cool that he can get this 2 cd set together so quickly.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:43 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:

Well, I think he's using recordings from the history of ZPZ which is going on six years now. Also, he's putting out only 70 minutes of music on the two cd's. Seventy minutes could easily fit on one.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:52 pm 

Dweezil's goal with ZPZ was to expose Frank's music to a younger generation but one thing that kind of concerns me (and you can see this in a little bit of the Dweezil worship on his website) is that these newer fans are associating this music with Dweezil. Dweezil won a Grammy playing Frank's music. Dweezil is releasing albums using the same concepts and sounding very much like Frank under his own name, etc. Don't get me wrong. I'm glad Dweezil started up ZPZ but what do you all think?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:26 am 

What do I need the fake for when I already have the original?

With releases like this finally somebody is confusing something. He could do it in his privacy but not make a release out of it.

There have been many discussions about ZPZ here and elsewhere and I already stated my opinions many times and won't repeat it over and over again in a trendmongerish manner. Only one thing: I don't have the slightest interest in buying this or even listening to this and I can't imagine anybody else having. Totally superfluous.

"… Defensive mimicry
Defensive or protective mimicry takes place when organisms are able to avoid encounters that would be harmful to them by deceiving enemies into treating them as something else. The first three such cases discussed here entail mimicry of organisms protected by warning colouration: Batesian mimicry, where a harmless mimic poses as harmful; Müllerian mimicry, where two or more harmful species mutually advertise themselves as harmful; and Mertensian mimicry, where a deadly mimic resembles a less harmful but lesson-teaching model. The fourth case, Vavilovian mimicry, where weeds resemble crops, is important for several reasons; and humans are the agent of selection. …"
(From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimicry)

In this case we have a son who tries to imitate his overwhelming father's guitar stile to protect himself from harmful enemies or something. A case for psychological treatment IMHO.

Th.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:13 am 

I don't know Thinman, you might be overreacting. There are a lot of ways of looking at this. Dweezil is a pretty nifty guitarist, although I much prefer Frank. Even with Frank, his Guitar Solo albums are not my favourites, I much prefer his very select and edited solos that appear amongst his other material.

As for Dweezil, a lot of people rate his solos and I guess there will be a market for this album, although I won't be buying it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:16 am 

The thing is, I don't know any other Guitarist that sounds like Frank other than Dweezil.
Dweezil is also much more polished than Frank ever was though you can't beat a bit of Frank Guitar.

At the end of the day is it really so bad to see the continuation of Frank's Guitar style by his son?
And so what if Dweezil fans associate the music with Dweezil, at least they get to hear some of the best music ever made and in doing so they might one day return to source (FZ).

At least Dweezil has a clue about how to release something unlike his mother.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:21 am 

polydigm wrote:
I don't know Thinman, you might be overreacting. …

IMO this concept degraded FZ's art to a subject for imitation. Period.

Ringo wrote:
At the end of the day is it really so bad to see the continuation of Frank's Guitar style by his son?

It's not continuation, it's imitation.

Th.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:25 am 

Thinman wrote:
polydigm wrote:
I don't know Thinman, you might be overreacting. …
IMO this concept degraded FZ's art to a subject for imitation. Period.
It hasn't done that for me, but then I've always been able to think for myself.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:35 am 

KillUgly2 wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

Well, I think he's using recordings from the history of ZPZ which is going on six years now. Also, he's putting out only 70 minutes of music on the two cd's. Seventy minutes could easily fit on one.

70 min of guitar solos on 2 CDs for $24.95 +shipping? I'll pass for now. No more deal w/ Razor & Tie? The Return Of The Son Of... double CD was rightly priced at $15, and contained alot more music.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:23 am 

I scream when people start bitching about prices relative to the length of CDs.

Well, I agree with Thinman here. Why would one need an imitation? It is fun to see live (and I have enjoyed ZPZ both times I saw them), but I would not know what to do with a CD with them.

But it is amazing that DZ CAN sound so much like Frank. It could be of interest to Genealogists.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:21 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:34 pm 

Maroual wrote:

Dang, he was lucky to have found that, seeing as it was misfiled in the "B" section. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:54 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:

The first person to have teen-appeal on a CS cover -- how pathetic is that. Could someone pleeze get rid of his ego ? "Hey, Cal, you've got free hand, but remember I have an awful lot of shiny, well-shampooned hair and such...'

:)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:27 pm 

Psychologically it is a little weird. Dweezil even posted a picture of himself on his website awhile back, gazing into a bathroom mirror with Frank's facial hair (which he then shaved off to be fair). I dig honoring the father and all that but it seems that Dweezil doesn't have an identity of his own...at least artistically.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:34 pm 

Kinda funny...I see old Trenddonger found it necessary to post a rebuttal on Dweezil's site in direct response to the discussion on this thread. Why he couldn't do it here I don't know. What a sycophantic dipshit. Brown lips, brown tongue, brown face, brown head. Yummy Yummy Yum Yum Yum. "In the Moment" your head is up Dweezil's ass (which is only when it's not up Gail's ass) please tell us what it smells like.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:57 pm 

KillUgly2 wrote:
Kinda funny...I see old Trenddonger found it necessary to post a rebuttal on Dweezil's site in direct response to the discussion on this thread. Why he couldn't do it here I don't know. What a sycophantic dipshit. Brown lips, brown tongue, brown face, brown head. Yummy Yummy Yum Yum Yum. "In the Moment" your head is up Dweezil's ass (which is only when it's not up Gail's ass) please tell us what it smells like.

link?