Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:46 am 

Frank Black song about Don: 85 Weeks....now: 35 Years

once eric said: 'come gather round'
i'll tell a tale that is sure so astound
un-somnambulist
that's awake
see he don't sleep, talkin', takin' no break, walkin'

but you don't believe
oo-oooh no, you don't believe
no, you don't believe

as to his fame well he has two claims
he is a don and as well a captain
un-somnambulist
he was awake
see for thirty five years with no sleep
it's crazy maybe

but you don't believe
no, you don't believe

they called him freak and he lost all his friends
could only speak to the boys in the band
un-somnambulist
you stay awake and
see what happens thirty five years with no nappin'

but you don't believe
no, you don't believe

please will you listen to what then did occur?
the world to him was all covered in fur
un-somnambulist
let me explain
see the fur changed to wood grain everything
can you believe it?

but you don't believe
no, you don't believe
no, you don't believe
no, you don't believe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:21 pm 

I still believe Gail HAS forgotton Bat Chain Puller........ :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:38 am 

Nah, I think she loves Don. Who else in the history of FZ relations could get away with saying absolutely horrible things about him and STILL be warmly embraced? No One but DVV.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:53 am 

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!

Denny Walley:

“In December we will be releasing an album on Zappa records which will include previously unreleased tracks I recorded with Don before we parted company in 1978. There are takes from sessions of Doc at the Radar Station and Shiny Beast albums that have never before been mastered and released apart from the odd bootleg. There is one track with me playing acoustic guitar and Don singing called Hoboism – it sounds incredible.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpoo ... -29838493/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:31 am 

brainpang wrote:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!

Denny Walley:

“In December we will be releasing an album on Zappa records which will include previously unreleased tracks I recorded with Don before we parted company in 1978. There are takes from sessions of Doc at the Radar Station and Shiny Beast albums that have never before been mastered and released apart from the odd bootleg. There is one track with me playing acoustic guitar and Don singing called Hoboism – it sounds incredible.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpoo ... -29838493/

Great find brainpang - I think you came! :mrgreen:

I pray that they haven't touched the sequence of the original BCP, before the great bonus tracks! :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:00 am 

Having read how the Captain was prone to signing anything, I find it hardly surprising that the release has been somewhat delayed...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:34 am 

John French says that Frank nixed the 1976 recording of Candle Mambo - wouldn't it be fitting to have it as a bonus track, right after the official Zappa candle time of year? 8)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:43 pm 

I had a very detailed dream the other night that this was released as a 3-CD set:
disc 1 - studio album
disc 2 - outtakes/demos
disc 3 - live '76 show from BCP lineup.

The CDs were housed in a fancy "clear" box similar to the Herbie Hancock '60s Blue Note box set, but with various Van Vliet prints that you could interchange to make the album cover whatever painting you wanted.

Yeah, I know. Keep dreaming. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:59 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
I had a very detailed dream the other night that this was released as a 3-CD set:
disc 1 - studio album
disc 2 - outtakes/demos

The CDs were housed in a fancy "clear" box similar to the Herbie Hancock '60s Blue Note box set, but with various Van Vliet prints that you could interchange to make the album cover whatever painting you wanted.

Yeah, I know. Keep dreaming. :mrgreen:

It's not out of the realm of possibi haha, sorry, couldn't keep a straight face.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:34 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
disc 1 - studio album
disc 2 - outtakes/demos

Quote:
You may say
I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll join us
And the world will be as one

:smoke:

Let's hope GZ announces this thing on the 17th of december, exactly one year after The Man left...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:06 am 

Now available for pre-order http://barfkoswill.shop.musictoday.com/ ... =971_54317

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:53 am 

Wow... Pre-ordered!

Edit: So, CB&TMB is Beefheart now.

Last edited by Dark Clothes on Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:17 am 

Pre order :? They should do pre order of it on vinyl for a couple of hundred or more then I laugh.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:30 pm 

Pre-ordered and released on the proper day.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:43 pm 

I just got my e-mail for Batchain Puller.Whats New says,"It will not be in your mailbox until/before the 15th of January." :|

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:49 am 

Dark Clothes wrote:
In 1996, Gary Lucas talked to Seconds Magazine about Bat Chain Puller, Don and Frank:

SECONDS: He and Frank Zappa had a pretty famous feud...

LUCAS: I have a story about that. When we came to do "Ice Cream For Crow," the last Beefheart record, Don wanted to use some tracks that had been produced by Frank and recorded a couple of years earlier for a record that never came out called "Bat Chain Puller," the forerunner of "Shiny Beast." So when Don was doing "Ice Cream For Crow" for Virgin, the idea was, "Why don't we get some of these tracks back and then we can save money on this record? They're great tracks and Frank probably won't want them." I was acting as his manager at this point—as well as his guitar player—which was a role I never relished [being the manager, that is]. So we tried to get these tracks and I called up Frank's manager and he said, "I'll talk to Frank." He then called back and said, "Frank says 'okay.'" As the project approached, I would call the manager back to ask if he would send us the tapes and he stopped taking my calls. Don was really mad, "Shit, Frank's jerking us around." So I said, "Why don't we just find him? What does he want them for?" This is like the summer of 1982 and we called and we still couldn't get Frank on the phone. Then we talked to his wife and found out he was rehearsing on a soundstage that Zoetrope—Francis Ford Coppola's studio—was renting out to Rock groups. So we said, "Let's go visit Frank." Don and I drove down to this studio and there is Frank with his fifteen-piece band about to leave the next day on a tour of Europe. In the audience watching the rehearsal are all of these ex-Mothers and ex-Beefheart musicians all hoping that Frank would give them the nod and say "I want to work with you again." It was really sad. I saw Dweezil Zappa there hanging out. From the corner of his eye, Frank saw Don and he kind of whirled around to confront him. Don said, "Frank, you know what we want, don't you?" in an authoritative voice. Frank said in a hostile voice, "No Don, what do you want?" I was like, "Oh man...I thought these guys were childhood friends." Don just said, "Gary?" and I went into my schpiel, which was, "Frank, we've been trying to get ahold of your manager because he promised we could get these tracks that you have the rights to for our record we're doing for Virgin." He said, "That's right. I heard about that...I changed my mind. Unless you buy all the masters back from me, it's not worth it for me to split up the set. It won't be worth that much out there in Beefheart-land." I was thinking, "What a disrespectful thing to say, 'Beefheart-land'. He looks at it like a freak show." I said, "Look, you promised us those tracks. We've got a fifteen-minute hole on this record that was predicated on getting these tracks to fill the time and now you're telling us we can't have the tracks. You really put us in a bad spot." Frank wouldn't look me in the eye. He kept studying the ground. He was embarrassed because he fucked us. Then he said, "How many minutes do you need?" and I said fifteen and he said, "Well, I've got a track called 'Do You Want A Pepsi?' Don sings on it but it's my tune." I said, "Do you really think we want to put a Frank Zappa tune on a Captain Beefheart album?" Don, meanwhile, is chanting the lyrics to "There Ain't No Santa Claus on the Evening Stage," which is a song about, among other things, show business. He just started chanting it, like "I'm oblivious to this bullshit." We walked away and it was like, "Great to see ya..." I got out in the car and I was really crestfallen. I said, "Don, this is terrible." He was like, "Gary, that was great. I'm really proud of you. That's the best thing any manager ever did for me. The way you talked to him, and he was so embarrassed he couldn't look you in the eye...thanks a lot." What are we going to do?" He said," Don't worry." That night, we went back to the studio for a rehearsal. He took a hit of pot, which is something I didn't see him do too much, and he just came up with all the music for the last track on the record, which was called "Skeleton Makes Good." It was beautiful. He came up with the goods under pressure. That story was later recounted by Frank in a book called "The Real Frank Zappa." He has a thing in there like, "The last time I saw Don, he came to a rehearsal." It doesn't mention what went down at all. It was kind of patronizing. I love Frank though I never knew him that well. I met him a couple of times with Don and both times I thought he was not very nice. His whole credo was "I don't have any friends, you can't have any friends in the music business"—he really believed that. Don had a much bigger heart.

http://www.garylucas.com/www/rvw/seconds.html

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:51 am 

Brainpang - read the interview above if you want an angle on negativity.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:26 pm 

Thanks DC,that was some interesting stuff.The story is always different from the fuckee's point of veiw,than that of the fucker.I'm not saying either was the "bad guy".Shit happends.Both men seem very possisive of there music rights,as well it should be.But that makes for no friends in the music bizz,even fellow musician it seems.That to me is sad in such a creative enviroment.
Every story has 3 sides.Each side has a story and then there's the truth.Gary's remark about old Mothers and Majic Band members sitting around waiting for FZ's nod,smacks of distain for all things FZ.With the touring band onstage practacing for the tour,it's more likely that they wanted to hear & see FZ & band playing in FF.Coppola's new studio.Not waiting for Franks nod for work.That sounds like a personel aside rather than a fact.Back then that studio was the bee's knees for rock groups to rehearse touring shows.Who wouldn't go? The studio itself was a big attraction back then.IMHO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:29 pm 

pre-order people, have these started shipping out ¿

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:51 pm 

I haven't heard anything yet - and don't expect anything to happen before the 16th, since Don's 71st is on a Sunday. Happy birthday, Don - wherever you are!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:46 pm 

Dark Clothes wrote:
I haven't heard anything yet - and don't expect anything to happen before the 16th, since Don's 71st is on a Sunday. Happy birthday, Don - wherever you are!
slime.oofytv.set wrote:
pre-order people, have these started shipping out ¿

No emails and nothing on the other sites,but DC made me remember I heard something about it being released around CB's birthday.I think it was on Gail Sez.A CB Birthday release maybe,the 15th? The Yippies were formaly formed by Jerry Rubin on the 16th of January 1967,and it's MLKJ day too! The day after DV Vliets Birthday,when the PO is closed for holiday,that seems cognant with GZ release times. :mrgreen: So it ships on the 17th,if it's announced at all that is. :roll: :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:21 am 

Dark Clothes wrote:

Some good advice from Cabaret Voltaire --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSiPxuBUu9A&feature=related

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:24 am 

I've received this:

Quote:
Dear Friends,

The Bat Chain Puller Pre-Order has been extended due to delays in manufacturing. We believe we will now be shipping the week of 13 February.

It's about time. It's about Music.

x,

the barfies

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:38 am 

Got the delay notice also, maybe this means that they got more orders than they expected. That's a good thing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:29 am 

I haven't received any delay notices so I don't expect to get a ship notice either.

Anyone have good news?

EDIT: Shipping Friday....supposedly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next