Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Stoner Rock
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:44 pm 

Plook wrote:
This 90's thing may be true, but that does not negate the fact that half the draw to listening to Frank Zappa, Pink Floyd, Yes, Deep Purple, Led Zepplin, David Bowie, and others suck as Kraftwork and the Tubes etc..in the 60's, 70's, 80's, and beyond..was you got stoned to enhance the listening experiance. All this other stuff is some sort of modernized rehash (which usually means "not as good") of an experiance that had come before.

:smoke:

If the style of music was "Music to Get Stoned To", you'd certainly have a point. Don't worry about it. I'm sure most people realise that this is not the most famous style of music ever invented. Its for people who like certain types of sounds.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:55 pm 

Stop making sense.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:58 pm 

Hello...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:58 am 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
Hello...

Very funny MTF, hahaha. Did you see a post that mentioned the Tubes and wet your pants? I've been hoping forever that a thread in which people who love the style of Electric Wizard would take off. I never thought about it happening like this though. I guess thats my problem. As much as I love the Dead, don't you think Psychotic Pineapple (sp?) would be a better choice?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:23 am 

Stoner Rock= the sludgy stuff

Once upon a time, musta been 'round October, few years back

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:30 am 

Milton Bradley wrote:
Stoner Rock= the sludgy stuff

Stoner Rock helps couch potatos grow... :smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:25 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Did you see a post that mentioned the Tubes and wet your pants? I've been hoping forever that a thread in which people who love the style of Electric Wizard would take off. I never thought about it happening like this though. I guess thats my problem. As much as I love the Dead, don't you think Psychotic Pineapple (sp?) would be a better choice?

I noticed the Tubes reference, but it didn't make me wet my pants (any more than usual). I've always thought of them more as a drunken-stupor band. And as for Psycotic Pineapple: they require either much stronger drugs or serious chemical inbalances. Either way, it's not for the merely stoned.

I don't know Electric Wizard. But if you say they're okay, I'll check them out...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:33 am 

I was making a joke too, but it seems it was overlooked, or ignored because it was so bad it seems. Is David Byrne a stoner? Or am I repeating the Floyd error?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:26 am 

polydigm wrote:
I was making a joke too, but it seems it was overlooked, or ignored because it was so bad it seems. Is David Byrne a stoner? Or am I repeating the Floyd error?

I guess I'm getting paranoid or something because its getting harder for me to tell when someone is joking or yanking my chain to get my goat. Yikes, thats some overdriven cliches!
Anyway, at the risk of sounding more pedantic than this thread has already driven me to:

Stoner Rock, as a genre, is a type of low-tuned Metal and does not equal Music to Smoke Pot To, although many of the purveyors do enjoy said substance. The music is generally slower than most metal you've heard, often with long drawn-out pieces that seem to go on forever. Imo, they are the funeral dirges of metal and the only worthwhile heirs to what the instruments in Black Sabbath created.
Most people think that the heirs to Black Sabbath are the high-pitch screamers, hair bands, wheedley-deedley guitar bands, and spandex wearers. Stoner Rock proves that there are still bands that are willing to be dark and sounding of doom.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:53 am 

I guess I'm getting paranoid or something because its getting harder for me to tell when someone is joking or yanking my chain to get my goat. Yikes, thats some overdriven cliches!
Anyway, at the risk of sounding more pedantic than this thread has already driven me to:

Stoner Rock, as a genre, is a type of low-tuned Metal and does not equal Music to Smoke Pot To, although many of the purveyors do enjoy said substance. The music is generally slower than most metal you've heard, often with long drawn-out pieces that seem to go on forever. Imo, they are the funeral dirges of metal and the only worthwhile heirs to what the instruments in Black Sabbath created.
Most people think that the heirs to Black Sabbath are the high-pitch screamers, hair bands, wheedley-deedley guitar bands, and spandex wearers. Stoner Rock proves that there are still bands that are willing to be dark and sounding of doom.

Oh, well, I'll listen to some because I liked the Black Sabbath type of metal. When you replied in this thread I just assumed that, uh, well, I'm going to see what's going on in the other threads.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:11 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:

Oh, well, I'll listen to some because I liked the Black Sabbath type of metal. When you replied in this thread I just assumed that, uh, well, I'm going to see what's going on in the other threads.

THAT won't make me paranoid, no way! :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:51 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:

Stay clear of Rockwells "Somebodys watching Me".... :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:21 pm 

Sides 1 & 3 of Electric Ladyland

Side one
1. "...And the Gods Made Love" 1:21
2. "Have You Ever Been (To Electric Ladyland)" 2:11
3. "Crosstown Traffic" 2:25
4. "Voodoo Chile" 15:00

Side three
10. "Rainy Day, Dream Away" 3:42
11. "1983... (A Merman I Should Turn to Be)" 13:39
12. "Moon, Turn the Tides...Gently Gently Away" (instrumental)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:47 pm 

polydigm wrote:
Actually, you were making sense, so I said stop making sense as a joke that brought David Byrne into the discussion as a further misinterpretation of what you were trying to explain. See how obtuse my humour can get?

Stoner Rock, as a genre, is a type of low-tuned Metal and does not equal Music to Smoke Pot To, although many of the purveyors do enjoy said substance. The music is generally slower than most metal you've heard, often with long drawn-out pieces that seem to go on forever. Imo, they are the funeral dirges of metal and the only worthwhile heirs to what the instruments in Black Sabbath created. Most people think that the heirs to Black Sabbath are the high-pitch screamers, hair bands, wheedley-deedley guitar bands, and spandex wearers. Stoner Rock proves that there are still bands that are willing to be dark and sounding of doom.
I was a massive Sabbath fan as a teenager. Their first two albums were my favourites and I now have them on CD. I seem to have blocked out Master of Reality completely from memory and the only track on Volume Four that I'll never forget is Changes. I vaguely remember Snowblind. After the first four albums I lost interest in them.

But, I get exactly what you're saying here, Sabbath are very much misunderstood. I just haven't followed the interest through. Since becoming a Zappa Fan 37 years ago my interests branched out into other areas. I'm thinking of getting the 3rd and 4th albums on CD, we'll see.

Wikipedia claims that Sabbath were influential for Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, and Nirvana.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:49 pm 

arrcee wrote:
This world is made for people who aren't cursed with self-awareness
Hey RC, fuck them, we should take it back. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:14 pm 

polydigm wrote:
I seem to have blocked out Master of Reality completely from memory
that is a shame as Into The Void is a quintessential Black Sabbath song and very stoner rockish. Kyuss did an excellent cover of it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:22 pm 

Well, I've heard you talk before about, you know, the paraphernalia of it all

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:21 pm 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
Did you see a post that mentioned the Tubes and wet your pants? I've been hoping forever that a thread in which people who love the style of Electric Wizard would take off. I never thought about it happening like this though. I guess thats my problem. As much as I love the Dead, don't you think Psychotic Pineapple (sp?) would be a better choice?

I noticed the Tubes reference, but it didn't make me wet my pants (any more than usual). I've always thought of them more as a drunken-stupor band. And as for Psycotic Pineapple: they require either much stronger drugs or serious chemical inbalances. Either way, it's not for the merely stoned.

I don't know Electric Wizard. But if you say they're okay, I'll check them out...

Tubes guitarist Bill Spooner said recently (within the last few years) that the Queens of the Stone Age reminded him of early Tubes (not the '80's new-wavey stuff). Not sure where I saw this, possibly his website. Queens of the Stone Age, I think are considered one of the more popular "stoner rock" bands. I like their album "Songs for the Deaf".

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:40 am 

KillUgly2 wrote:
Queens of the Stone Age, I think are considered one of the more popular "stoner rock" bands.
absolutely. when the topic of 'what kind of music do you listen to' comes up, and i say 'stoner rock', if they don't know who QOTSA are, it's pretty much a given that they haven't heard of any of the other bands in the genre that i listen to.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:04 am 

Sleep-Dopesmoker
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_and_Dopesmoker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:09 am 

One of my favourite stoner rock song is the first half of D.C. Boogie :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:52 am 

The above Dopesmoker by Sleep is easily in my Top 5 albums for SR. That said, I started this morning with another one of their albums: Sleep's Holy Mountain

No, its not as great as Dopesmoker, but its still pretty good. Could use a bit more low-end imo, but overall a good listen. Also has a bonus cover of Black Sabbath's Snowblind.

Listening to this stuff always makes me crave Electric Wizard, so I think now that this thread is here I'm gonna go through their whole catalog again. 1st stop... Come My Fanatics

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:58 pm 

please send me $200

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:58 pm 

Alone on the Moon - Babaganoo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:58 pm 

How could we forget Bruce Springstone?