The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:04 am 

release date: february 21, 2012
run time: 161 minutes
starring: frank zappa

Quote:
desperate to remove himself from his original deal with verve records, in 1968 frank zappa set up the bizarre and straight labels in league with manager herb cohen, and so began a string of releases which remain extraordinary in the extreme; this film revisits and reviews the astonishing music that came out on bizarre and straight, and reveals the background, operations and, crucially, the lives of the musicians, performers and management who made these labels the legendary reality they became ... includes rare footage, archive interviews and of course the music that made it all worthwhile

http://www.dvdreleases.org/music/frank- ... o-bizarre/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:17 am 

Which krankie put that book together.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:08 am 

A review from over at beefheart.com:

http://www.beefheart.com/datharp/dvd/fr ... re_dvd.htm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:15 am 

cleon wrote:

it's a DVD, stupid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:12 am 

Nice!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:32 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
cleon wrote:

it's a DVD, stupid

Who gives a fuck Stupid.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:42 am 

brainpang wrote:
A review from over at beefheart.com:

http://www.beefheart.com/datharp/dvd/fr ... re_dvd.htm

As per the review this is put out by the same company that put out Captain Beefheart: Under Review (B+), Frank Zappa:The Mother's of Invention in the '60's(A-), and Frank Zappa:The Freak Out List (C+) and all were worthwhile (the grades are mine) so count me in for this one as well.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:45 am 

You can buy them but i be staying as far away from the old said before Crap they got too offer.
Take chrome dreams they first Zappa the classic interviews they been in magazines for years so i class that as a load of crap like the rest of they shit stuff.and what makes it worse is take Zappa Live transmissons the same interviews my guess same Assholes ho yeah and a couple of shit quality SNL live songs that came out tidy quality just before by The SNL broacasters.and when down my mates and they got a diffident set look more like a CD cover than DVD with the same book same interview again,just you need a computer this time too play the SNL stuff.and a they also got a couple of CD's music FZ said he liked Wow what a load of shit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:18 am 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:

release date: february 21, 2012
run time: 161 minutes
starring: frank zappa

Quote:
desperate to remove himself from his original deal with verve records, in 1968 frank zappa set up the bizarre and straight labels in league with manager herb cohen, and so began a string of releases which remain extraordinary in the extreme; this film revisits and reviews the astonishing music that came out on bizarre and straight, and reveals the background, operations and, crucially, the lives of the musicians, performers and management who made these labels the legendary reality they became ... includes rare footage, archive interviews and of course the music that made it all worthwhile

http://www.dvdreleases.org/music/frank- ... o-bizarre/

Is it worth it slime.o.?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:19 am 

cleon wrote:
You can buy them but i be staying as far away from the old said before Crap they got too offer.
Take chrome dreams they first Zappa the classic interviews they been in magazines for years so i class that as a load of crap like the rest of they shit stuff.and what makes it worse is take Zappa Live transmissons the same interviews my guess same Assholes ho yeah and a couple of shit quality SNL live songs that came out tidy quality just before by The SNL broacasters.and when down my mates and they got a diffident set look more like a CD cover than DVD with the same book same interview again,just you need a computer this time too play the SNL stuff.and a they also got a couple of CD's music FZ said he liked Wow what a load of shit.

I may be wrong but I think that's from a different company. You're right though. That thing with the crappy SNL footage was a total waste of time and money.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:10 am 

If they are they need too be ashamed of themselves
I pod ready(WTF)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5 ... AA300_.jpg
just the SNL songs DVD.

Collecters limited edition(WTF)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5 ... AA300_.jpg
SNL for CD player And same songs computer too listen and watch.

30th Anniversary Edition(WTF)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Frank-Zappa-Liv ... 535&sr=8-2
SNL songs broke up with the One size fits all interview stoping and starting in between each song.

I might be paroniod about it Music In Review DVD which is clearly the same even though they have varied on the back of the cases a little who is who just aload of mumbo jumbo that i never heard of,Ben Watson on there also on Chrome Dreams FZATMOI In The 1960s.both companys claim too be English they barcodes start similar and down the bottom tiny writing on DVD caes IN The 1960s part of Chrome dreams?
Most of chrome dreams Releases are not even talked about on this site i just checked which proofs they are not very common here.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:23 pm 

My review: http://www.idiotbastard.com/reviews.htm#Bizarre

Zappa music and much, much MOO-AH!
www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:48 pm 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:

Thanks Andrew. www.idiotbastardson.com is a great site and I always find your reviews spot on. Thanks again for keeping us informed on all things Zappa related.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:38 pm 

KillUgly2 wrote:
The Idiot Bastard wrote:

Thanks Andrew. http://www.idiotbastardson.com is a great site and I always find your reviews spot on. Thanks again for keeping us informed on all things Zappa related.

Yes,I dig it to.Well informed,good writng,interesting links and just plain fun site for any Zappa Freak like me.Thanx II. :D 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:24 am 

KillUgly2 wrote:
The Idiot Bastard wrote:

Thanks Andrew. http://www.idiotbastardson.com is a great site and I always find your reviews spot on. Thanks again for keeping us informed on all things Zappa related.

+1 - I particularly enjoyed your glowing review of Zappa the Hard Way :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:29 am 

Dark Clothes wrote:
I particularly enjoyed your glowing review of Zappa the Hard Way :wink:

On a point of order, that review on my website was penned by one Pauline Butcher - though I do understand that Zappa The Hard Way is most excellent!

Zappa music and much, much MOO-AH!
www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:11 pm 

Wow, there's lots of stuff out there that I didn't know existed. And some of it I wouldn't get.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:31 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Wow, there's lots of stuff out there that I didn't know existed. And some of it I wouldn't get.

It's scary out there cal,you might start a fire and burn your face.(sorry couldn't resist) :wink: :lol: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:31 am 

Oooooooooohhhhhhh!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:23 am 

Got mine on pre-order. Looks good. Is that 10 fucken posts yet? I'm getting tired of this shit.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:45 pm 

Is it worth mentioning that Andrew gets thanked in the credits?

I thought it was well done and informative. It's funny to watch the pattern of Frank signing someone (as Andrew said) as a reaction to an event then getting them into the studio only to have 'something happen' to make Frank leave the sessions high and dry. I think it happened with every release. On one or two he came back and finished what he started. Not sure if Frank tired of things quickly or what, it seemed like he always found an excuse to leave things unfinished.

I also liked the quote about Frank not liking any music but his own.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:39 pm 

i'll be watching this tonite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:26 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
i'll be watching this tonite

How's about a review JP? You know,like is it hard or limp,stach or thrash,worth the time and money? ect? 8)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:44 pm 

I ordered 1 week ago i should get it next week. i dont expect alot of it, but it may help passing time while waiting for a real ZFT product. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:08 am 

Pretty good DVD for $14. It's a little long, some parts drag on. I'm not a fan of all the artists, but to me it's well worth it for the Alice Cooper, Beefheart, Jeff Simmons, & Wild Man Fischer segments. Not really a fan of Wild Man, I find him slightly amusing. I've never heard the album. It's interesting that it's almost a MOI album with a really fucked up "guest singer". Too bad this isn't in print. The Persuasions segment is also really good. Jerry talks about the Carnegie Hall show and more.

The most boring part was Sandy Hurvitz (aka Essra Mohawk). I guess it had to be included because that was the first attempt at someone elses album. Not sure what Frank was thinking with her, actually I do, but it probably didn't have much to do w/ music :mrgreen: