Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:41 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Rubaman wrote:
Ordered mine a week ago and had an ETA of Jan 12th. It showed up today! Great Googalie Moogalie! Time to get learning...

EDIT: And now is the worst possible time for me not to be able to find a guitar pick ANYWHERE! :cry:

It's under the couch cushions.

If you can't find it I've got an extra one. Check or money order for $10.00 (free shipping) to KillUgly2. PM me for the address.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:35 pm 

Got mine a few days ago. Very dissappointing arrangements. If you are a bass player, you'll be pissed. For guitarheads only.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:30 pm 

I'm a keyboard player and I still find the book priceless, myself. :wink:

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:28 pm 

Mine arrived earlier this week. It's not bad, I'm glad to have it, but there was a certain time in my music education about 30 years ago, when this book would have been worth it's weight in gold. I'm almost jealous of those for whom this will be the start of their musical education.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:51 pm 

By no means is it the start of my musical education but I'm proud to say that I can now play the 1st (of the 2) extremely difficult/quick keyboard passages in Inca Roads at the intended bpm - woohoo! :mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:58 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
By no means is it the start of my musical education but I'm proud to say that I can now play the 1st (of the 2) extremely difficult/quick keyboard passages in Inca Roads at the intended bpm - woohoo! :mrgreen:

Good for you.

I'm tackling Kid Charlemagne right now, I'll have to get that book next.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:12 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Good for you.

Re: Kid Charlemagne - does your version have every section in it? I had 2 different SD books w Kid Charlemagne and they both skip a certain section.

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:45 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
Good for you.

Re: Kid Charlemagne - does your version have every section in it? I had 2 different SD books w Kid Charlemagne and they both skip a certain section.

Yep, every section. Mine is in Guitar Pro.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:31 am 

Also some very ignorant mistakes in the lyrics. "When her HOT BRAKES????" Please.........................

What the fuck is a "HOT BRAKES?" Use your fucking brain.

It's "When her heart breaks". If Hal Leonard is looking for someone who is actaully paying attention, gimme a call.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:27 am 

bugler wrote:
Also some very ignorant mistakes in the lyrics. "When her HOT BRAKES????" Please.........................

What the fuck is a "HOT BRAKES?" Use your fucking brain.

It's "When her heart breaks". If Hal Leonard is looking for someone who is actaully paying attention, gimme a call.

True, but come on - "Hot Brakes" (although incorrect) would not be the first obtuse lyrical phrase used in a Zappa tune.... give 'em a break!
Or better yet, offer a more concise version of the book and I'll buy it from you personally! :mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:33 am 

It says Hot Brakes In the CD booklet :smoke:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:50 am 

This is from the original vinyl release.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:56 am 

Nice :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:04 pm 

just plain doug wrote:

Nice catch!!!!!!!!!!!!!
but,

IT"S STILL WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"When her hot brakes" is grammatically impossible in the context of the sentence and its a stretch to say in the context of the song.!!!!

I offer this challange - the lyrics from the OVR were transcribed and printed incorrectly and they caught Frank on a night he chose not to go into great analysis (in other words he was too busy or tired to check for errors himself)

Maybe Gail or Dweez could chime in on that. I mean shit, brilliante and 24/7 as FZ was, the guy's still fucking human.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:24 pm 

Jesus man - let it go. Or like I said, correct all of the mistakes, publish your superior version and I'll be sure to purchase a copy. :roll:

Are you trying to tell me you can't find another instance in FZ's oeuvre that is grammatically impossible in the context of the sentence? Check out Thing Fish some time, your head will fucking explode!

Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:40 pm 

bugler wrote:
just plain doug wrote:

Nice catch!!!!!!!!!!!!!
but,

"When her hot brakes" is grammatically impossible in the context of the sentence and its a stretch to say in the context of the song.!!!!

I offer this challange - the lyrics from the OVR were transcribed and printed incorrectly and they caught Frank on a night he chose not to go into great analysis (in other words he was too busy or tired to check for errors himself)

Maybe Gail or Dweez could chime in on that. I mean shit, brilliante and 24/7 as FZ was, the guy's still fucking human.

It's a play on words. It is intentional. FZ liked to play around with phrases, language, music, etc. This was part of his brilliance. You need to go back to Zappa School. :smoke:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:42 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Jesus man - let it go. Or like I said, correct all of the mistakes, publish your superior version and I'll be sure to purchase a copy. :roll:

Are you trying to tell me you can't find another instance in FZ's oeuvre that is grammatically impossible in the context of the sentence? Check out Thing Fish some time, your head will fucking explode!

Look man, I laid out over 30 bucks for this fucking trainwreck.

I purchased Apostrophe, Overnite Sensation, Hot Rats, and each any every one was superior and COST LESS!!!

I'm a professional trumpet player and my transcriptions of Zappas horn charts are published on my website. And ya know what? They are perfect and they are FREE.

I need some more income, just like everyone else and all I'm saying is that they could have at least let me proof read the stuff..........:)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:46 pm 

KillUgly2 wrote:
bugler wrote:
just plain doug wrote:

Nice catch!!!!!!!!!!!!!
but,

It's a play on words. It is intentional. FZ liked to play around with phrases, language, music, etc. This was part of his brilliance. You need to go back to Zappa School. :smoke:

I'm no idiot. I know it's a play on words. It's "heart breaks" with a Bostonian accent. Proper notation of this even was amatuerishly omitted.

And I have another one for ya: how many "horns" are there on this entire LP?

1. That's how many. SINGULAR. It's a fucking tenor sax solo (MELODY) on Florentine Pogen and they coudn't make a little simple notation?????????

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:56 pm 

If you're a professional musician then you're far more qualified to comment on the quality of the transcriptions than I am. I'm just a hack hobbyist who likes to pick out the odd lick or chord progression to try to learn for my own enjoyment or amusement. I just didn't know why you were making such a big deal about the phrase "hot brakes" especially since you were wrong. Don't feel bad, you're only human.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:03 pm 

Totally - no need to freak out over the words?!? Did you buy it for the lyrical content? If you already knew the words, who cares!?
It's the notes that matter. The arrangements are for guitar. The arrangements have been for guitar since the first book of the series. If you purchased each of them, as you stated - then you should know that.
Why would they break format and throw in a horn chart on this one when the other 3 books you've purchased haven't done so? I can think of plenty of examples of songs through the series that only have *one* keyboard part but you don't hear me bitching that it wasn't included.
You bitch earlier in this thread that there is no bass in this book yet there was no bass in the other 3 books so.... what the fuck?

Chilllllll out Francis.

Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:06 pm 

bugler wrote:
[I know it's a play on words. It's "heart breaks" with a Bostonian accent. Proper notation of this even was amatuerishly omitted.

If you know it's a play on words then why did you bitch about it being incorrect?
Cleaaaarly it was a Bostonian accent. Obviously that was FZ's intent and couldn't have possibly been a goofy lyric or another geographical New England region.

Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:46 pm 

For what it's worth, have you noticed that the OSFA book is about twice as fat as the other FZ guitar books. If we can use pure bulk as a measuring stick then I think this is the best one yet. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:05 pm 

Not "freaking out" over the words. I got my degree in Amirkian Capitalism at the University of Frank Zappa so dig where I'm comin from cuz this is what he would say:

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Totally - no need to freak out over the words?!? Did you buy it for the lyrical content? I BOUGHT IT FOR THE COMPLETE MUSICAL CONTENT BASED ON PAST PUBLICATIONS If you already knew the words, who cares!? BESIDES THE POINT BUT ORE IMPORTANTLY, WHY R U SO WILLING TO BE CHEATED, IF NOT RIPPED OFF? It's the notes that matter. ITS THE COMPLETE ACCURRATE CONTENT THAT MATTERS, NOTES, WORDS & ASTERISKS. The arrangements are for guitar. MOSTLY, BUT NOT SO IN PAST The arrangements have been for guitar since the first book of the series. MOSTLY, BUT NOT ALL. If you purchased each of them, as you stated - then you should know that. I DO. HOW COME YOU DON'T?Why would they break format and throw in a horn chart (DIDN'T ASK FOR A CHART - NO CHART NEEDED - JUST A SIMPLE, ACCURATE NOTAION OF "TENOR SAX" INSTEAD OF "HORNS") on this one when the other 3 books you've purchased haven't done so? I can think of plenty of examples of songs through the series that only have *one* keyboard part but you don't hear me bitching that it wasn't included.
You bitch earlier in this thread that there is no bass in this book yet there was no bass in the other 3 books so.... what the fuck? In SOFA, would you not agree that the bass line that goes in triplet fashion ba ba-da-da ba-da-da ba-da-da baaaaahhhhhhhh,, ba bahhhhhhhhh, bu bahhhhhhhhhhhh is crucial to the arrangement? HOW COME IT AINT THERE, DOOFUS? Chilllllll out Francis.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:26 pm 

bugler wrote:
Not "freaking out" over the words. I got my degree in Amirkian Capitalism at the University of Frank Zappa so dig where I'm comin from cuz this is what he would say:

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Totally - no need to freak out over the words?!? Did you buy it for the lyrical content? I BOUGHT IT FOR THE COMPLETE MUSICAL CONTENT BASED ON PAST PUBLICATIONS If you already knew the words, who cares!? BESIDES THE POINT BUT ORE IMPORTANTLY, WHY R U SO WILLING TO BE CHEATED, IF NOT RIPPED OFF? It's the notes that matter. ITS THE COMPLETE ACCURRATE CONTENT THAT MATTERS, NOTES, WORDS & ASTERISKS. The arrangements are for guitar. MOSTLY, BUT NOT SO IN PAST The arrangements have been for guitar since the first book of the series. MOSTLY, BUT NOT ALL. If you purchased each of them, as you stated - then you should know that. I DO. HOW COME YOU DON'T?Why would they break format and throw in a horn chart (DIDN'T ASK FOR A CHART - NO CHART NEEDED - JUST A SIMPLE, ACCURATE NOTAION OF "TENOR SAX" INSTEAD OF "HORNS") on this one when the other 3 books you've purchased haven't done so? I can think of plenty of examples of songs through the series that only have *one* keyboard part but you don't hear me bitching that it wasn't included.
You bitch earlier in this thread that there is no bass in this book yet there was no bass in the other 3 books so.... what the fuck? In SOFA, would you not agree that the bass line that goes in triplet fashion ba ba-da-da ba-da-da ba-da-da baaaaahhhhhhhh,, ba bahhhhhhhhh, bu bahhhhhhhhhhhh is crucial to the arrangement? HOW COME IT AINT THERE, DOOFUS? Chilllllll out Francis.

So, let me get this straight. You're not happy with the book? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:28 pm 

bugler wrote:

PenguinInBondage wrote:

Why, yes - absolute bullshit that asterisks were not included - WTF? :roll:
Because I just love being cheated and ripped off, Great Exaggerator.
The long-winded, sweeping passages of Inca are worth the price of admission alone! Would I make suggestions to make it a better book? Why, sure! But you're making ridiculous ALL-CAPS demands! It's absurd. Get some nookie, mon frere - it'll do ya good!

"Not so in the past" > I'll bite on this one. In which of the Hal Leonard FZ books is instrumentation other than guitar written?

I'm a doofus - that's rich. I'm actually kind of smitten with the nomenclature, gracias! :wink:

Image Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next