Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Chalk Pie
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:20 pm 

Rumor has it that DiMeola doesn't want his performance released.<br><br>If that's true... the album would have to be resequenced/edited  :'(

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:57 am 

Isn't this just material that came out on other albums?  I would much rather see Dance Me This, Petit Wazoo, Rage and Fury come out after Trance-Fusion.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:27 am 

Yeah, I know... I'm saying I would like to see those albums come out AFTER Trance-Fusion.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:54 pm 

[quote author=Sebastiaan link=board=wishList;num=1031089900;start=0#5 date=06/15/03 at 17:57:24]<br><br>Yes, but DiMeola was right, his guitarsolo on 'Clowns on Velvet' isn't that good, imho. The first part he's good, lot of energy, but then he's repeating himself, same fast licks, the same scales... the band is really great, though.  [/quote]<br><br><br>I agree... not really a great solo by Al... s'pose he could do the Steve Vai and go back in the studio and fix it, though.<br><br><br>Personally, though... I think there's a point where a person has to look at what they did as a moment in time and decide if that moment is important enough to share... regardless of personal performance.<br>

Post subject: re: chalk pie
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:51 pm 

do-do mite wrote:
... I think there's a point where a person has to look at what they did as a moment in time and decide if that moment is important enough to share... regardless of personal performance.<br>

al's vanity prevented this from being released, maybe he's lightened up after all these years

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:09 am 

The 1981 Ritz show is my ALL TIME FAVORITE FZ show ever. EVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVERRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:44 am 

jaypfunk...I am listening to the Ritz show now and it is good but I am just wondering why you think it's the best...ever...not that I disagree.

ps:for old times sake how about a re-visit to your old signoff picture....please.
pps:you still crack me up.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:16 pm 

DiMeola needs to just man up and live with the solo he did. I've written out some of his stuff and he's quite repetitive. 24 bars or so and the rest is copy/paste to the out.

He has great dexterity on the gtr but he'll never be accused of being very creative. I never thought he fit very well in the Guitar Trio with McLaughlin & DeLucia either. Coryell was not the same calibre player as Al but was way more creative though. Gimme creativity over machine gun triplets any day.

Peace. 8)

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:30 am 

I would buy this if they made an official release! And Warts & All! And maybe even Crush All Boxes...

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:05 pm 

Bring all those on!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:58 pm 

WhoDat wrote:
DiMeola needs to just man up and live with the solo he did. I've written out some of his stuff and he's quite repetitive. 24 bars or so and the rest is copy/paste to the out.

He has great dexterity on the gtr but he'll never be accused of being very creative. I never thought he fit very well in the Guitar Trio with McLaughlin & DeLucia either. Coryell was not the same calibre player as Al but was way more creative though. Gimme creativity over machine gun triplets any day.

Peace. 8)

Which is why Coryell is a much higher caliber player than Al Di.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:08 am 

Star Thrower wrote:
WhoDat wrote:

Peace. 8)

I took my Dad to see the 'Great Guitars' trio and he fell asleep
Maybe he knew something I didn't

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:44 pm 

mutronboy wrote:
Star Thrower wrote:
WhoDat wrote:

Peace. 8)

I took my Dad to see the 'Great Guitars' trio and he fell asleep
Maybe he knew something I didn't

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8PqzFvPuUc
Guitar Legends - Jazz Fusion Night - Expo '92 Sevilla
George Duke is on there as for the Guitarist DeLucia is best at Spanish styles George Benson best Guitarist, al di meola ain't there before he was in the Trio :|