Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:56 pm 

Wow. I was pretty pissed to see how this book has been discontinued and now all we got is "TAB" for Hot rats and '.

Seriously, will they ever reissue the Zappa guitar book?
For those who own the book, Is it like a real composer score or just tabs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:07 am 

just notation notes no tab in the book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:09 am 

I like the hot rats guitar book--why does everyone hate on it so much? I hope they'll do one of Joe's Garage someday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:40 am 

Joe Mama wrote:
I like the hot rats guitar book--why does everyone hate on it so much? I hope they'll do one of Joe's Garage someday.

I don't know why. It's good for what it is. I've never thought Aledort is the greatest at transcribing though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:14 pm 

Joe Mama wrote:

Can you IMAGINE a book of accurate JG Acts 1, 2 and 3 scores with chords and lyrics?
Wow.

I have the first issue of the Guitar book you mention but one REALLY needs to be a good music reader if you plan to re-create those compositions with accuracy.

Personally I just pick out phrases, because I don't read very well and find it easier by ear!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:27 pm 

I just notcied they have The Frank Zappa Guitar Book on the "Real Books" section of the site. I assume this means it will be available to buy soon.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:54 pm 

Nack Blapkin wrote:
I just notcied they have The Frank Zappa Guitar Book on the "Real Books" section of the site. I assume this means it will be available to buy soon.

:D

No: it just means that the ZFT uses a limited definition of the word "real."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:53 am 

I got lucky several months back and found a just listed mint condition copy on Ebay with a buy it now option. I paid $29.00 US including shipping for an immaculate copy from somebody who had no idea that decent used copies were going for well over $100.00+ US.

The Frank Zappa Guitar Book (transcribed by Steve Vai) can still be found on Ebay on occasion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:29 pm 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
well over $100.00+ US.

:shock:

RELEASE THIS BOOK, ZFT!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:06 pm 

$14.95 plus $1.50 postage/handling

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:37 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
$14.95 plus $1.50 postage/handling

Ha! On first glance, I thought the image in the lower left-hand corner was a QR code! Talk about cutting edge! :mrgreen:

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:52 pm 

Nack Blapkin wrote:
SPACEBROTHER wrote:
well over $100.00+ US.

:shock:

RELEASE THIS BOOK, ZFT!!!

And....Rewease Wodewick!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:02 pm 

I got my original signed by Steve in 2000...I think he got a kick out of it..heh
BTW the original cost $35 back in '83...it was a lot then

We always get ripped off in Australia...$35 for guitar book...$43.95 for Lumpy/Money
$35 for Bongo Fury... $49.95 each for CDTOSA
not to mention having to pay it again for the 'remasters'...sheesh
I think I personally paid for Ahmet's Volvo....and then he eBayed that for some ridiculous price!...heh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:55 pm 

I've got a copy of this and would be willing to part with it as all I have ever got from its was sore fingers and a headache.

Not looking to make a fortune and would be happy to see it go to someone that would find it useful and not someone that will just add it to their collection and toss off over it in the wee hours of the morning.

In other words a musician and not a collector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:41 am 

The FZ guitar book is a f****n monster (sore fingers, brain, eyes, premature hairloss etc)

I also have The Frank Zappa Song Book Vol.1, $5.95 circa 1973.
score and tab plus photos drawings and original manuscripts plus plus the stories of rueben & the jets, uncle meat and the legend of cletus awreetus-awrightus and his grand wazoo.

score and tab for: brown shoes, mother people, igor's boogie, penis dimension, how could I be such a fool, let's make the water turn black, oh no, america drinks & watchs fox news, son of suzy creamcheese, excerpts from music for electric violin and low budget orchestra, I'm not satisfied, mom & dad, absolutely free, uncle meat, idiot bastard son, piano intro to little house I used to live in........fantastic

The "real live manuscript section" (in Franks broad handwriting) waka=jawaka, 2 extracts from the pleated gazelle section of 200 motels, nun suit, the girl in a statement to the press explains and can I help you with this dummy (originally to be used in 200 motels but was excluded due to technical difficulties)

some classic notations eg: stand turn around sit on keyboard (both buttocks) and jump back to normal position without losing the tempo.

found it on e bay from a guy in sweden, for around US$20.00 + US$25.00 postage.

I'd post photos, but I can't post photos........

ZFT I'm still waiting for vol.2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:30 pm 

tupong wrote:
I've got a copy of this and would be willing to part with it as all I have ever got from its was sore fingers and a headache...

very noble gesture, mate ... btw, i am dr. kayode adeyemi, director, bills & exchange at the foreign remittance department of the union bank of nigeria plc , writing this letter to ask for your support and cooperation to carry out this business opportunity in my department...we discovered an abandoned sum of $55,055,055.00 (fifty-five million fifty-five thousand and fifty-five united states dollars only) in an account that belongs to one of our foreign customers who died along with his entire family of a wife and two children in november 2007 in a plane crash

unfortunately, neither family member nor distant relative has ever appeared to claim the said fund; upon this discovery, senior managerial executive officials in my department have agreed to make business with you and release the total amount for disbursement; i have been trying to contact any of his relatives in the city of gippsalnd, through his address he left with me to let his people know about his money in our bank

i will require the following information from you for procession of the fund in your favour:

1) your private phone and fax number
2) your account information where this fund will be paid into
3) your home address
4) your tfn
5) your mother's maiden name

we have agreed that our ratio of sharing will be as stated thus; 45 % for you as foreign partner, 51 % for the senior managerial executive officials in my department and 4% for the settlement of all local and foreign expenses incurred by us and you during the course of this business; to commence this transaction, we require you to immediately send me that zappa guitar book to enable filing a letter of claim before the money transfer can be made; note also, this transaction must be kept strictly confidential because of its nature

looking forward to receiving your prompt response

dr.kayode adeyemi
director, dept. 419
ubn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:19 pm 

excellent!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:28 pm 

gray_ghost wrote:
... some classic notations eg: stand turn around sit on keyboard (both buttocks) and jump back to normal position without losing the tempo...
from the end of the piano intro to little house

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:50 pm 

mutronboy wrote:
I got my original signed by Steve in 2000 ... We always get ripped off in Australia...$35 for guitar book...
That was back when the US dollar was still worth something. The Aussie dollar is now worth more and has been for some time now. Kind of scary in a way.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:31 pm 

Hey dr.kayode adeyemi aka slime.oofytv.set, that sounds like a deal too good to miss out on. The book is in the mail

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:57 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
gray_ghost wrote:
... some classic notations eg: stand turn around sit on keyboard (both buttocks) and jump back to normal position without losing the tempo...
from the end of the piano intro to little house

Excellent book, when I won the auction for mine, I didn't think it was an official publication based on the dodgy e bay photo (of the back cover) so I wasn't expecting to much. Imagine my surprise, it is to this day a great help with my albeit lame guitar noodlings, creak creak.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:15 am 

I like the FZ Guitar Book.the Frank Zappa song Book Vol1 Sucks Sharps flats and still need for Natural :mrgreen: and it ain't accurate.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:39 am 

This book taught me how to read music when I was funnily enough at music college .... The main road into town was in severe road-works for about 6 months so travel time was horrible. So , I sat on the bus and read the rhythms. Vai's work on this book is staggering ( sometimes bordering on pointlessly staggering ) ... I love the drum transcriptions the most personally. Oh and the REAL MUSIC, not TAB ! Amazing.

I have a mint copy and its not for sale , not even for $100.
Gc.
www.garycox.net

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:31 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
The FZ guitar book is a f****n monster (sore fingers, brain, eyes, premature hairloss etc)

I also have The Frank Zappa Song Book Vol.1, $5.95 circa 1973.
score and tab

Tab 1973 :? It came out in the 90's
Chord's I'm Guessing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:26 am 

I have a PDF of the book....if you are interested, PM me.