Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:33 pm 

It's about time.  I kept wondering when they were going to update those oldass Talking Heads CDs.  I probably won't bother buying any of them though unless I start hearing really great things about the bonus material.  I've had their entire catalog in various formats for years.  I don't really feel the need to buy them all again.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:36 pm 

Couldn't they have released the video material as a separate DVD? I'm no audiophile or completist, I'll stick with my Talking Heads vinyls.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:05 pm 

[center].. this is grrreat ..<br><br>Image[/center]<br><br> .. can't wait for the reunion tour <br><br>lets call it ''Talking Heads Play Talking Heads''<br><br>how hard is it anyways to scrub up a few masters , add a few extra's and poot forth to an audience of trendmongers ?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:22 pm 

Hmm, it's tempting, but I still hate the idea of buying all those albums again.  I guess it will depend on how expensive they are.  I am glad to see "Sax And Violins" being included on one of their actual albums.  I think it's one of their best songs.  Very pretty and cerebral.  I think it's the last song they released, which is really fitting.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:14 pm 

Reminds my a little of the Geore Harrison Box. Slightly rip-off-ish. At least, they NOT putting STOP MAKING SENCE and THE NAME OF THIS BAND IS since most hard-cores already bought the re-issues. Also heard they will be selling them separately, which is cool. FOM, SIT, and RIL are the only ones I would concider buying.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:15 pm 

Reminds my a little of the Geore Harrison Box. Slightly rip-off-ish. At least, they NOT putting STOP MAKING SENCE and THE NAME OF THIS BAND IS since most hard-cores already bought the re-issues. Also heard they will be selling them separately, which is cool. FOM, SIT, and RIL are the only ones I would concider buying.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:43 pm 

I was big into the Heads back in the 80's and early 90's, but in more recent years my focus was generally limited to the two live discs and Fear Of Music, my fave studio album. <br><br>The release of the TH Brick got me to thinking about them again, and how long it's been since I've listened to the other albums. Hence, I've been revisiting my cd's as of late and really getting into all of them, way more than I thought I would, particularly the first five studio albums ( '77 thru Speaking In Tongues).<br><br>These five, plus The Name Of This Band and Stop Making Sense comprise some of my favorite rock music of the late 70's-mid 80's...<br><br>So what do y'all think of these guys?<br><br>

>You don't.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:37 am 

Old thread brought back to see if madcow1515 re-likes half of True Stories and maybe even un-dislikes the other half.
There's not much TH that I don't like, I think they're brilliant. One thing I found several months ago that I'd recommend to any TH fan:

I lucked out finding it on vinyl without even previously knowing of its existence. Good sound with lots of familiar songs done slightly differently plus a couple I'd never heard.
A1: "Psycho Killer" (3:24)
A2: "Sugar on My Tongue" (3:11)
A3: "Thank You For Sending Me an Angel" (2:03)
A4: "I Want to Live" (3:46)
A5: "I Wish You Wouldn't Say That" (2:07)
A6: "The Girls Want to Be With the Girls" (3:03)
A7: "Who Is It" (2:18)
A8: "With Our Love" (4:06)
B1: "Stay Hungry" (4:28)
B2: "Tentative Decisions" (2:41)
B3: "Warning Sign" (3:33)
B4: "I'm Not in Love" (3:51)
B5: "The Book I Read" (2:52)
B6: "Love --> Building on Fire" (2:34)
B7: "No Compassion" (3:40)

note: I believe that I and others had posted on this thread, but it was before Arkay was murdered in the Forum Upgrade of 2006.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:37 pm 

Well, I gave it another listen today at work, and the ratio of songs I like to songs I don't like is actually much higher than I'd remembered. In fact, it's probably no less consistent than Naked, which I've always ranked higher. The only songs I'm not particularly crazy about are "Hey Now," "Papa Legba," and "Radio Head." They're actually not terrible songs. They just don't really grab me. The rest of the album is pretty good though. I'd totally forgotten how great "Dream Operator" are "People Like Us" are; however, I still think I prefer hearing John Goodman singing the latter. Damn, now I've gotta pull out my True Stories DVD.

That demos set looks pretty cool. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. Have you heard about the Chronology DVD that just came out? I think I might have to get it.

http://www.amazon.com/Talking-Heads-Chr ... B005JJSG94

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:34 pm 

Are Sugar On My Tongue and I Want To Live the same versions as on Sand In The Vaseline?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:46 pm 

madcow1515 -
I'll admit it. Hey Now is one of my least favorite TH tunes. Its ok, but feels like a leftover that got thrown into the movie, so they put it on the album. Papa Legba is great though. I especially love the Pops Staples version in the movie. I've copied it onto mp3 so that I can listen while not watching, along with the other versions. Also, thanx for the heads-up on the dvd. Its been added to the Christmas List.

Cal - No, they are different versions. I don't actually have Sand in the Vaseline. I'm always late getting best-ofs, but now maybe I'll have to get those too. I compared the demos with the SITV samples on amg though, so I know they're unique. Not the extras on the remasters either for those tunes though I'm hesitant to say that for all of em. But are the SITV versions on the Brick? Hmmm.... Your question will keep me busy for some time Cal, so I'll take a stab: I don't believe any of the demo album has been officially released. Apparently, it was a fan club release of 500 copies only on vinyl. Stay Hungry has a super-freaked out flange on the guitar similar to the More Songs About Bldgs + Food xtra. Psycho Killer has alternate lyrics. Most of the tunes have a slightly different "feel", though clearly TH with a great before-the-first-album-sound.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:06 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Psycho Killer has alternate lyrics.

Is this the extra "I passed out hours ago..." verse? That one really took me by surprise the first time I heard The Name of the Band Is Talking Heads.

I'll always have a special place in my heart for Sand in the Vaseline since it's what turned me from being a casual fan into loving them. It has a handful of tracks that aren't on any of the albums, so I still can't get rid of it. I'm eager to see the new DVD. When I first heard about it, I assumed it was going to be a collection of their videos, but it's apparently a bunch of live performances spanning from the early days to their last tour, so I'm really curious about how the quality is. I actually had to talk a friend into selling me the Storytelling Giant DVD from his copy of the box set that came out several years ago. It's the only way to get their videos on DVD. Jerks.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:55 am 

after many years of "fear of music" being my fave heads album, i must now say that "remain in light" is not only my fave, but has become one of my all time favorite albums by anyone. like, i'm talkin top 50 here.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:49 pm 

Psycho Killer on the demo album, 2nd verse:

Listen to me now I passed the test
I think I'm cute
I think I'm the best
Stripped white, don't like that style
Don't criticise what I know is worthwhile

So, I guess if The Name of This Band has the alternate lyrics, then I guess these are the alternate alternate lyrics.
Also, the demo album is a 3 Piece Band, Chris Franz, Tina Weymouth and David Byrne.

And as for this sleepy guy who woke up for this thread. Congratulations on joining the followers of this world on considering Remain in Light one of the greatest albums ever. I hope that some day you really wake up and realize that More Songs About Buildings and Food should have had that prize all along! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:28 am 

actually, i stopped by to read what people were writing about carnegie hall and stumbled upon this thread. had to give my plug for remain in light. good to see ya, arkie.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:14 am 

I might look into the remasters since all I have is SITV, Stop Making Sense and Little Creatures (which I don't like at all.)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:48 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
I might look into the remasters since all I have is SITV, Stop Making Sense and Little Creatures (which I don't like at all.)

the first 4 studio albums as well as "the name of this band..." are all great. check'em out, cal.

>You don't.

Post subject: Re: talking heads
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:44 pm 

I have re-discovered talking heads lately*. thanks to spotify, actually.
back in the day, I had some of their albums on vinyl. but, alas, all my lp's are long gone.

I think I will have to re-invest in a couple of talking head-cd's.
'remain in light', for sure, but I also have a soft spot for their debut; '77'.

* along with some david byrne solo albums.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:32 am 

madcow1515 wrote:
...That demos set looks pretty cool. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. Have you heard about the Chronology DVD that just came out? I think I might have to get it.

http://www.amazon.com/Talking-Heads-Chr ... B005JJSG94

So, I got it for Christmas and have watched it a few times since and have mixed feelings although overall I'm glad to have it.
Its not really a collection of live shows and its not really a documentary, but there is some of each. What you get is a panorama of the band from beginning to 2002 with many gaps which leaves the story as a whole untold. Of course, they left out Stop Making Sense and I'm glad for that, but it seemed strange going from 1983 straight to the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame ceremony performance. I'm left feeling that it should have been a box set of dvds that contained full performances from each of the shows in the collection. Of course if they did that, the devil's advocate tells me I'd probably complain about repeats as I do with the Led Zeppelin dvd set having too many Communication Breakdowns.
Highlights for me were Girls Want to Be with the Girls for being a bit different than usual and Adrian Belew being on Crosseyed and Painless. Also, since I've been getting into the demo which is the band as a 3-piece, it was cool to hear more versions like that.
The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame performance was a bit weak imo.
The extras were fun. There was a 35 minute tv special with lots of quirky interviews. I liked that very much. There was also a David Byrne interview and you can probably imagine what it was like.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:14 am 

Congratulations on joining the followers of this world on considering Remain in Light one of the greatest albums ever. I hope that some day you really wake up and realize that More Songs About Buildings and Food should have had that prize all along! :lol:

Most definately.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:57 am 

If the 1% stifles New York's creative talent, I'm out of here

David Byrne wrote an article for The Guardian a week ago.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/oct/11/david-byrne-internet-content-world

Last edited by The Forum Killed Arkay on Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:54 pm 

And 3 days later he wrote another article...

The internet will suck all creative content out of the world

Last edited by The Forum Killed Arkay on Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:48 pm 

And 3 days later he wrote another article...

The internet will suck all creative content out of the world

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/oct/07/new-york-1percent-stifles-creative-talent

That's the same url, here's the one for the internet article:

Both very good reads.