Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:11 pm 

http://www.cduniverse.com:80/productinf ... 2509995320

For anyone who didn't buy it when it was first released at around $25.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:39 am 

I've bougth this one yesterday. Seen already the whole thing of course, on the youtube, parts on Dub Room Special (or heard on One Shot Deal, etc.)

But this DVD... the sound is just terrible. FZ's voice and guitar is above everithing, the sound itself is just not coherent - and his guitar sound is like it came from a washing machine. There surely is a better version of theis show (soiundwise), because the parts on the releases above (or on YCDTOSA) are fine - but this one... Not worth a penny.

Why was it made like this - anyone knows?...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:12 am 

Two recordings of the same show :wink:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16450&p=405638

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:46 pm 

Well, since that day there were 2 shows played and recorded, it would be really nice to see an alternative DVD-release with 1.) nice sound 2.) tunes NOT re-released on other CDs. My selection would be:

Chunga's Revenge
Bamboozled By Love
Sinister Footwear II
Black Page #2
Envelopes
Drowning Witch
What's New In Baltimore?
Moggio
Yo' Mama
City Of Tiny Lites
King Kong*
Auld Lang Syne* (Burns)
Whippin' Post

What a beautiful thing it would be.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:46 pm 

balint wrote:
Well, since that day there were 2 shows played and recorded, it would be really nice to see an alternative DVD-release with 1.) nice sound 2.) tunes NOT re-released on other CDs. My selection would be:

Chunga's Revenge
Bamboozled By Love
Sinister Footwear II
Black Page #2
Envelopes
Drowning Witch
What's New In Baltimore?
Moggio
Yo' Mama
City Of Tiny Lites
King Kong*
Auld Lang Syne* (Burns)
Whippin' Post

What a beautiful thing it would be.

What the fuck is wrong with you, Bal-less? Really, man. Use your head before ya wind up dead. Ever seen that movie?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:41 am 

balint wrote:
Well, since that day there were 2 shows played and recorded, it would be really nice to see an alternative DVD-release.

Yeah it would not make a difference how many songs or which show(the DVD has songs from both)
The difference would be which recording used that was your original question i guess.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:27 am 

brainpang wrote:
Really, man. Use your head before ya wind up dead. Ever seen that movie?

Of course I did. But I'm sure you will take 2 minutes of your life to explain my not-so-clever self what did you mean above, why I should "use my head". Thanks - in advance.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:24 am 

balint wrote:
brainpang wrote:
Really, man. Use your head before ya wind up dead. Ever seen that movie?

Of course I did. But I'm sure you will take 2 minutes of your life to explain my not-so-clever self what did you mean above, why I should "use my head". Thanks - in advance.

Think it was the 12% Doghead. Here, I'll even use a little pumpkin icon as a peace offering:
:lol:

But ya really do drive me crazy. I'm (or WAS) infuriated by the ZFT as much as the next guy so I find this fan sound stuff minor quibbles. I rarely even listen to FZ anymore. I just hold up a cd or dvd next to my brain and I hear/see it all in a couple seconds. That's all it takes. I got too many other great things to listen to. Hmmm, maybe that's the reason longtime fans desperately need new material?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:29 am 

brainpang wrote:
Here, I'll even use a little pumpkin icon as a peace offering:
But ya really do drive me crazy.

Okay, now just for the fun (and the curiousity) of it: WHAT did you want to say in the first place?... My english might not be really good, or there might be some other problems, but... I simply don't get anything from what you say... From what I DO understand, it's not a major thing or anything I would really care about, I'm just curious... well? (Is there ANYTHING you think about this very DVD?, btw?)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:30 am 

Last time I saw it, I thought that the band didn't play that well during the firts songs and Frank seems in a really bad mood.
Is that where he had issues with the union's guys who asked for money just before the show?
But it gets a lot better after 20 minutes or so.
Maybe is that why Frank originaly released only a few of these songs on Dub Room Special.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:13 am 

ZackGlickman wrote:
Last time I saw it, I thought that the band didn't play that well during the firts songs and Frank seems in a really bad mood.
Is that where he had issues with the union's guys who asked for money just before the show?
Maybe is that why Frank originaly released only a few of these songs on Dub Room Special.
Probably old Video Tape size 90min was out before 2 hour tapes and long play.
The dvd runs just over 90min and the vhs is missing a minute or so.

From innk site
Differences
From the DVD liner notes:

Originally conceived as an actual TV special, FZ created this program in 1982 at Compact Video. Late in 1992 he made a D2 master at Kober Post (with Booey Kober). It is just ever so slightly different from the original, in part, to conform to the then current technology, Laserdisc! Voodnnnnn.

And now, the differences:

At 0:08:02, 32 seconds missing, including the "What Is The Dub Room Special?" scene.
At 0:55:40, 37 seconds missing, including the intermission.

From Mike Espinoza (October 27, 2005)

At the end of "Florentine Pogen", the video is freeze-framed at Chester's final cymbal hit. This is then faded into the dub room footage where Frank is talking about his pink sweater. Basically the whole "Intermission" and "And now part two" segments have been cut out (including "Thank you. Chester's Gorilla was played by Marty Perellis."). Also, that part of the dub room footage is inexplicably in black and white, although it was originally in color.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:10 am 

ZackGlickman wrote:

Not to my ears - the guitar sound destroys it all (not on the original broadcast, but on the dvd). The music is pretty fine - as can be heard on some of the YCDTOSA series, but to me the most exciting are the unreleased songs: Drowning Witch, Envelopes, Baltimore...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:05 am 

balint wrote:
ZackGlickman wrote:

Not to my ears - the guitar sound destroys it all (not on the original broadcast, but on the dvd). The music is pretty fine - as can be heard on some of the YCDTOSA series, but to me the most exciting are the unreleased songs: Drowning Witch, Envelopes, Baltimore...

Is there more than one DVD version out there, or is this the exact same thing that they launched on zappa.com some years back?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:45 am 

Dark Clothes wrote:
Is there more than one DVD version out there

No, only one, that was released in 2008, but since there was a live TV and radio broadcast, there are several versions of this video (and you can also listen to the unreleased, more instrumental parts of the shows, too). To my ears, all the erlier versions sound better. Some say that there was a "flanger" (?) effect put on the guitar on the DVD, and this ruined the sound for me totally...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:58 am 

balint wrote:
Some say that there was a "flanger" (?) effect put on the guitar on the DVD
Your being ignorant now you know what happened :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:05 am 

In total there are 24 songs missing on the DVD from 31st 1981.I have seen a couple or more of the missing songs around and about most of them if i remember correct was on some Scandinavian tv channel it had subtitles anyway. :smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:22 am 

balint wrote:
brainpang wrote:
Here, I'll even use a little pumpkin icon as a peace offering:
But ya really do drive me crazy.

Okay, now just for the fun (and the curiousity) of it: WHAT did you want to say in the first place?... My english might not be really good, or there might be some other problems, but... I simply don't get anything from what you say... From what I DO understand, it's not a major thing or anything I would really care about, I'm just curious... well? (Is there ANYTHING you think about this very DVD?, btw?)

I imagine this may still not help with your curiousity but here goes:

I've never really watched the dvd issue. I kinda glanced at it, flipped around, didn't even do it through the stereo speakers, only through the rattling speaker on my old fashioned tv (no flat screen for me, the tv will have to die before that happens, it's a low priority). I was there live in person and I prefer my memories to it more than staring at a tv screen (and plus I can block out the memory of what Frank was wearing that night). I never liked watching rock concert footage 'cause I've been to a ton of shows, right down front. Once in awhile I like to watch old jazz things, 'cause I never got to see Mingus, Dolphy et al. I'm not a musician so I don't give a damn what their fingers are doing.

As for LISTENING to FZ, it doesn't happen much. The high points of the posthumous releases will tell you why. I like and have listened to a bunch of times:

1. Monkies
2. 3rd disc of Lumpy Money
3. MOFO, which I randomly turn the track dial for interesting cuts

I like that Gail released all the other things, but the most I have played 'em is once, maybe twice for some.

I am not an audiophile. I'll play this shit through a 20 year old boom box, on the crappy speakers in a 12 year old car, once in a blue moon cranked up on the downstairs stereo. All the talk of sound quality this and that makes my eyes glaze over. If I can hear it, then that's what it is, and I don't care because it is what it is.

Alright?

edit: WAZOO was special, too. Imag Diseases fun fur sure as well. I liked the comp nature of One Shot Deal, too. Played these maybe 2x each and will again in the future.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:43 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2gm3RExeJ8
most flanger hard too tell who is who
The Palladium
NYC
1981 10 31 Early Show

01. You Are What You Is
02. Mudd Club
03. The Geek Shall Inherit Nothing
04. Dumb All Over
05. Broken Hearts Are For Assholes
06. Suicide Chump
07. Jumbo Go Away
08. Turning Again
09. Alien Orifice
10. Teen-Age Prostitute
11. Flakes
12. Heavenly Bank Account
13. Montana
14. Whipping Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETdsa4jSsHY
same
palladium new york city 1st concert 6.00pm broadcast on sweedish tv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPm8hLTcBPQ
getting tricky

can tell the flanger is Vai's guitar with most flanger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txt6Dg8dAL8
Frank Zappa - whipping post(got dutch subtitles)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:29 pm 

cleon wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2gm3RExeJ8
03. The Geek Shall Inherit Nothing

?
Or maybe the Greek?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:15 am 

I don't think so meek geek similar spelling and meaning Greek nothing in common and more letters :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:45 pm 

Thinking all the last posts was mono :|

Listen 5.24min where it's heavy flanger right speaker Left speaker near none,i have PC speakers so i can't disconnect the right speaker and just have left,though finger in the ear test it convineced me even though most thing are coming out both speakers,cant work out how there seems too be less flanger in some mono :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzc5vW9Ze44
Frank Zappa - The Torture Never Stops (From the DVD)