Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:46 pm 

Make a Jazz Noise Here is my absolute favorite album and I rarely hear praise, especially since people tend to be more dismissive of the 80s material. The '88 band was tight as hell!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:22 am 

polydigm wrote:
Plook wrote:
Broadway the Hardway - The true essence of FZ & a well rehearsed band live... :smoke:
This was Zappa's last new album, in the sense of a One Size Fits All or a Them or Us, that is, a new album with new material. Okay, people will argue there are reworked tracks on it, but it was overall a new album.

People will also argue that Yellow Shark and CiviIization Phaze III were his last new albums, but I'm referring to his live jazz/rock type band albums. BTW, I'm not saying I don't like those more "serious" albums at all, they're great.

I didn't get into BTH right away, but over time it grew on me and I find it his most mature of that type of album. Mind you, I have the CD version, which is a much better package than the original vinyl release. It's a tour de force and worth finding a quiet time slot to listen through uninterrupted.

I have the CD what is the differences in the Vinyl?

:smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:47 am 

Plook wrote:
polydigm wrote:
Plook wrote:
Broadway the Hardway - The true essence of FZ & a well rehearsed band live... :smoke:
This was Zappa's last new album, in the sense of a One Size Fits All or a Them or Us, that is, a new album with new material. Okay, people will argue there are reworked tracks on it, but it was overall a new album.

People will also argue that Yellow Shark and CiviIization Phaze III were his last new albums, but I'm referring to his live jazz/rock type band albums. BTW, I'm not saying I don't like those more "serious" albums at all, they're great.

I didn't get into BTH right away, but over time it grew on me and I find it his most mature of that type of album. Mind you, I have the CD version, which is a much better package than the original vinyl release. It's a tour de force and worth finding a quiet time slot to listen through uninterrupted.

I have the CD what is the differences in the Vinyl?

:smoke:

The Vinyl:

The CD:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:41 am 

CD palylist four shure... :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:12 pm 

Apart from the CD having a more comprehensive program (track list), the vinyl features a little rap:

ZAPPA: "Alright ... CNN ran a story last week about this new product that has been developed for our prison system ... it is called 'Confinement Loaf'. Now, what it is is bean by-products compressed into a loaf ... which is administered to problem prisoners ... their diet would be a slice of 'Confinement Loaf' and a cup of water ... and it seems to mellow them up right away ... So my question is: How long before 'Confinement Loaf' appears in United States high schools?"

The vinyl's last song is "The Untouchables", and after Ike's monologue, Zappa introduces the band (this part is not in the CD):

ZAPPA: "And The Untouchables are ... Ike Willis ..."
IKE: "Thank you!"
ZAPPA: "Mike Keneally ..."
IKE: "History!"
ZAPPA: "Walt Fowler ... Bruce Fowler ... Paul Carman ... Albert Wing ... Kurt McGettrick ... Chad Wackerman ... Ed Mann ... Robert Martin ... Scott Thunes ... Eric Buxton ... Thanks for coming to the show, and good night!"

ESSENTIAL VERSIONS FOR COMPLETISTS: Vinyl and any CD (both have a little unique material of their own). [completist's guide]

http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/vinylvscds/broadway.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:22 am 

I think Guitar is very underrated. The Shut up & play series get's all the hype.
I actually like guitar better.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:25 pm 

Big Guitar fan right here...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:44 am 

Me too, I go to Guitar more often than Shut Up when i want to get my fix... :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:53 am 

Fido wrote:
Studio Tan,
Bongo Fury
8)

All of them IMHO :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:22 pm 

The Yellow Shark

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:17 am 

what about Bongo Fury?
nobody mentioned it.. it has it's moments IMO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:16 am 

That one was Havel's favourite. I love Bongo.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:50 am 

From what I've seen, people rarely rate Waka/Jawaka as strong contender for the best FZ album, so by that definition I would say it has been terribly underrated. I would have a whole album of One Shot Deals if I could - genius, just genius.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:08 pm 

I would say that Sleep Dirt appears very underrated. I know the fuss that the new vocals caused but even putting them to one side, even though I personally think that Flambay/ Spider of Destiny in full Hunchentoot glory are terrific, one has the joy of Regyptian Strut ( I have the Barking Pumpkin CD so have the Wakerman- free version) Sleep Dirt and the sublime TOITUS. Having heard Lather before SD it became apparent to me that I couldn't possibly survive much longer without hearing the missing five mins of that at the very least. I'm jolly glad I did. SD currently sits in my top 10 and I am happy to recommend it as a mid period gem.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:52 pm 

BY FARRR Thing Fish, my dad who owned every zappa ryko when i was a kid never showed it to me. But man is it great, ive heard fans say they think the re-hashes of songs from Zoot Allures and You Are What You Is were a cheap waste of time but i beg to differ. Theres great messages on that album and its just so funny. Wistful Wit A Fistful is the greatest broadway like song ever done. And "Torchum" is by far my favorite version of that song.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:18 pm 

IMHO: "Make A Jazz Noise Here" ! These BP-CDs really blew my speakers ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:19 pm 

Burnt Weeny Sandwich

I think this album gets overlooked because it's not as political WOIIFTM or as wild as Weasels.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:33 pm 

I'm obviously a heretic because Zappa's two major guitar solo collections are my least favourite of his albums. I get bored very quickly every time I try to listen to either of them. I'm a bit of a guitar head myself but I can't listen to solo guitar over and over and over like that. I love the contrast of the solos that he cherry picked, edited and placed within the context of his other music.

If you had to choose between Inca Roads on OSFA or five solos in a row from SUAPYG to take to a desert island? (Rance Muhammitz's voice at this point ...)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:02 pm 

polydigm wrote:
I'm obviously a heretic because Zappa's two major guitar solo collections are my least favourite of his albums. I get bored very quickly every time I try to listen to either of them. I'm a bit of a guitar head myself but I can't listen to solo guitar over and over and over like that. I love the contrast of the solos that he cherry picked, edited and placed within the context of his other music.

If you had to choose between Inca Roads on OSFA or five solos in a row from SUAPYG to take to a desert island? (Rance Muhammitz's voice at this point ...)

Actually, I have a lot of sympathy with this point of view - particuarly when the solos are taken from the middle of finished pieces e.g. "Inca Roads". The tracks that are stand alone solos I enjoy much more - for instance "Carnard Du Jour". On G and SUAPYG, I keep on asking myself; where's the rest of the song?
Mind you, there are enough tracks that contradict my argument (Burnt Weeny Sandwich = Lonely Little Girl and my fave, "Get A Little", is surely a solo from some song or other that eludes me now).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:11 pm 

Caputh wrote:
"Get A Little" is surely a solo from some song or other that eludes me now).

"Sleeping in a Jar". See also "Sleazette" on Finer Moments. And actually, "Nine Types of Industrial Pollution" is also a "Sleeping in a Jar" guitar jam section slowed down by an augmented fourth and given the deluxe percussion plus sped up acoustic solo treatment.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:48 pm 

Tom29 wrote:
Make a Jazz Noise Here is my absolute favorite album and I rarely hear praise, especially since people tend to be more dismissive of the 80s material. The '88 band was tight as hell!

I agree. From the first listen to the 5000th... I'm still in awe of this band's performances. A go to album any day of the week.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:13 pm 

sleep dirt seems to be a popular choice here, maybe it's not so underrated amongst zappa fans, it's always been in the top 5 on my list

underrated amongst zappa fans is joe's xmasage; listen to gtr trio, a bossa nova jam from 1965, comapre the soloing style on acoustic guitar to the ocean is the ultimate solution; muthers power trio from '64 hints at what kind of guitar player frank would develop into ... the original why don'tcha do me right from '63 sounds looser than on absolutely free, nastier vocals and free-form lyrics ... to top it off, this album has the first appearances of the poodle & the teenage gas station attendant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:38 am 

Le Petit Wazoo wrote:
Burnt Weeny Sandwich

I think this album gets overlooked because it's not as political WOIIFTM or as wild as Weasels.

Yep! every time I listen to it I think "why hasn't this been in the rotation, more often?"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:57 pm 

BBP wrote:
Thing-Fish's merits are never seen by anyone but me, so it seems.

Definitely the overlooked masterwork of the bunch. Not sure I agree with the knock of there not being any original songs, it was after all conceived as a broadway show presenting some of the composers well known songs draped over a thin plot.... A device which is now being done to less entertaining effect by the likes of Billy Joel, abba, beach boys, Bon Jovi, four seasons, the list goes on. I always get a laugh imagining a room full of unsuspecting theater goers watching it in stunned silence. Especially the truly frightening "Drop Dead"...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:56 am 

Said it once and i'll say it again.....THING FISH. I mean Jesus "Rhonda", just listen to the Evil Prince...Zappa puts Lloyd Weber to shame by satarizing what has become the main staple of Broadway Musicals all over the world. It truly is a masterpiece.....and you get to hear Amnerika for the first time