Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:11 am 

I'm confused...Trendmonger + gary = same person?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:19 pm 

Mad Jack McMad wrote:

It's true

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:02 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Mad Jack McMad wrote:

It's true

Oh fuck....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:44 pm 

Quote from an article on Asperger's: Under the rules in place today, any nerd, any withdrawn, bookish kid, can have Asperger syndrome.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/01/opini ... ef=general

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:39 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Quote from an article on Asperger's: Under the rules in place today, any nerd, any withdrawn, bookish kid, can have Asperger syndrome.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/01/opini ... ef=general
Thank you, Arkay, for bringing attention to the ever-expanding and increasingly authoritative diagnostic abilities afforded the psychiatric profession that serve no purpose other than to make the pseudo-science of psychology more and more profitable and demanding of being taken very seriously. I'm not going to create a treatise on it here but it's long past the time this practice was reined in and made held accountable for itself rather than just wildly amplify on its extension of "disorders" and "syndromes" that are just natural, normal human behavior but get roped in and branded as pathological and therefore in need of treatment -- all carefully done in studies that pile up in huge volumes and factually mean nothing while theoreticians can't weave enough of it, despite the contrasting theories they create that solidify into schools of belief that benefit no one while making many feel aberrant and defective and in need of therapeutic repair.

Ultimately, and with a laughable self-satire, there isn't a soul on the face of the Earth who is "disorder free" -- inescapably including its practitioners!

--Bat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:13 pm 

Gee Bat, that's a pretty sweeping statement. There are plenty of people out there researching psychology with the aim to better understand the way the human mind works. To name a few: Steven Pinker, Cordelia Fine, Norman Doidge. As you point out, everyone ends up with some level of neurosis in the process of dealing with life and psychologists aren't all cranks and often make a significant difference to many people's lives.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:02 pm 

Don't worry Batty. Just start taking your meds again and everything will be fine.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:47 pm 

What you need is Motherly Love! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:24 am 

Batchain1001 wrote:
Thank you, Arkay, for bringing attention to the ever-expanding and increasingly authoritative diagnostic abilities afforded the psychiatric profession that serve no purpose other than to make the pseudo-science of psychology more and more profitable and demanding of being taken very seriously. I'm not going to create a treatise on it here but it's long past the time this practice was reined in and made held accountable for itself rather than just wildly amplify on its extension of "disorders" and "syndromes" that are just natural, normal human behavior but get roped in and branded as pathological and therefore in need of treatment -- all carefully done in studies that pile up in huge volumes and factually mean nothing while theoreticians can't weave enough of it, despite the contrasting theories they create that solidify into schools of belief that benefit no one while making many feel aberrant and defective and in need of therapeutic repair.

Ultimately, and with a laughable self-satire, there isn't a soul on the face of the Earth who is "disorder free" -- inescapably including its practitioners!

--Bat

You're joking, right?

Because even though there is occasional patient misdiagnosis, to make a blanket statement like that is a bit much...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:29 am 

Charlie manson comes to mind.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:45 am 

This is the big daddy, the "bible" of mental health diagnoses. All it does is set observable criteria for different categories of mental illness. It's not perfect, but it's pretty objective. Without it, or something like it, perhaps the field would indeed be just as Batty describes. But fortunately we have it, and it's validity is pretty widely accepted.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:55 am 

My opinion is between Batty and Ronnys. While there are clearly disorders and evidence of progress on various disorders, there is a missing element of the scientific method which is repeatability. The main cause for a lack of repeatability is the collection of evidence which is often based on questions such as "How do you feel?" Or similar poll-based questions. If mental disorders were as visually obvious as a broken leg, things would be simpler, but as it stands people seek healthcare for sadness, ennui, dissatisfaction, symptoms that may or may not even be symptoms. Indeed, it is a very nonscientific science.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:05 am 

I would venture to say that given the fact Frank Zappa is one our favorite artists, we must all be some kind of crazy! :mrgreen:

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:07 am 

Yep! I like a quote from Capt. Beefheart that I heard one time. Something like "There is no such thing as sane or insane, just different levels of disconnected".

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:09 pm 

I agree, like the song says ,"compared to what"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:43 pm 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
I agree, like the song says ,"compared to what"

Holy crap, Bravo agreeing and quoting an album that I love, howz bout that!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:35 pm 

Wooo Hooooo love that album, have you heard an old one by Less Mccann called Invitation to Openness?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:56 pm 

I hate the human race that stinkin' mut! Dun-dun-dun.Tryin' to make it real compared to what!?
Didn't the same place burn down with Frank's equipment in it?
Back on topic,there does seems to be so many kinds of any disease out there.I know so many people that have ADD :roll: These are not kids,thats not what I mean.These people also have CRS or "can't remember shit".They use it as a crutch,ya know the type,ie; they forget your change."I don't remember how that happend?" What about the beer then boy? "Uh,where the cans this tall?" They are the flakes that grew up and now find it's very hard to get the drugs for whatever makes them real.They will never be real again.Thats free choice without moderation.
Plook and I were outside the Holiday Inn in Sac.CA.at around 2-3 am after the show and a few games of pool.Anyway the Meth addicts were out in forse along with the homeless sleeping around.(sad) But the meth losers were up and would answer anything the way you wanted it answered.I rarely drink and after 3 beers in 6 hrs.,a pile of hash,it was time to play with their heads.
So are you from here?
I used to be but now I'm over at Stu's,do you know Stu? Stu's really nice,but he can be a prick,and he sent me away,so out I went and so I came back here..... (I come from nowhere basically)
What I meant was are you a native of Sacramento?
Oh! Ah...no.Do you happen to have any spare change?
No,I'm with that guy.(I point at Plook) :smoke: The smoker of the evil weed tobacco!
Do you know him!?
Yes.
Is he cool?
As cool as the Attorney General can be.
What's a....what is he?
Governer Browns top cop.
You're kidding me...aren't you?
Does it matter? I mean he's breaking the law by smoking within a twenty foot distance of the doors.You can't break the law and be the law now can you? Besides he's a hip dude and has never hassled me.Has he hassled you?
Uh....no,I mean,ya your right,that makes sense.( I'm about to lose it laughing! I make sense to methhead!)
Then Plook joins us.There is a look of awe/fear in this little speedfreak girls eyes and of course Plook (with his Hollywood type thick hair combed back) looks the part and him being such a kind soul try's to help her.She was reluctant at first.Plook being the Attorney General and all,but she came around quick enough. I think she thought there might be some $$ in hanging around,along with a couple of shadowy types hanging to close by also.
All during this she refused any help with her addictions.Plook can be a real good convincer,but alas she would rather be on the streets with ADD & CRS and a bag of meth.Than to even try for a free rehap.
So that's us Zappa Freaks tyin' to keep it real compared to what? Compared to FZ thats what,and a damn fine measuring stick it is!
Edit: I don't remember if I ever told Plook about his promotion in the Brown administration.Oh no! I've got ADD & CRS compared to what? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:10 pm 

That never happened on rockline!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:17 pm 

coevad wrote:
That never happened on rockline!

Your right.It happend in real time,just after a DZpZ show at The Crest Theater last Feb.2012.But you knew that didn't you DOC? :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:50 am 

8) hey, what's up with the two I's? All II did was spell my dzw name backwards. 8)