Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:48 am 

Nice & at length ---->

Plus a few handy pointers about Wolf on E-mu:

"Right now I've got my Eµ dedicated to making the sound of a full brass section – in this case 5-part polyphony with an extremely realistic brass attack. I had it on the road for the last tour. The keyboard player who was using it couldn't even fathom what to do with it because when it came time to play a solo the first thing the guy did was get his little Minimoog out and go eeeee, you know?"
:)
http://www.cyndustries.com/synapse/syna ... 979&pic=30

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:10 am 

Has this already been posted somewhere around here?

http://www.zappasgear.com/TommyMarsInterview.html

Th.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:02 am 

Yup, great stuff indeed, Th. Been hoping all goes well with the book for materialization in 2012, mesmerized, since i first heard it has the E-mu in it.
Ein bisschen schockierend ist es immer, die Teile (Keybds., i.e.) so versifft zu sehen, obwohl, man weiss nicht, wie alt die Fotos sind (Das Vault sieht ja auch nicht besser aus, alles zerrissen und abgefingert und mit Fingermarks, ich bin nicht sicher, ob man da Kameraleute durchschicken sollte....)

best

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:05 pm 

He had - I'm not sure - at least one (?) E-mu cabinet on stage with the 1975/76 Nappi/Terry/Andre Lewis band. The way it was seated in front of Lewis' keyboard rack, face to F.Z., I understand he used its filters and stuff as sort of an effects unit for Nappy and himself? That melodica he refers to on 'Menage' was no Lyricon, or am I confusing things? When it isn't the Lyricon, which synth is A.L. controlling with it, then? Or is it the early Lyricon, the one that came without its own Synthesizer?

??? :)

F#ck, I think I need to read the book!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:41 am 

Ah, the Lyrikon. Klaus Kreuzeder used it as early as 1976.

Quote:
Kreuzeder, Klaus (sax, fl, lyrikon)
… + geb 1950 + rollstuhlfahrendes Energiebündel und unermüdlicher AERAmotor + ab 16 Saxophon + nach 2 Jahren Unterricht am Sopransax geht er seinen eigenen musikalischen Weg + nebenbei 4 Semester Jura + 1968 Mitbegründer der Gruppe EX OVO PRO + viele Auftritte + erste Versuche am Free Jazz + 1973 Einstieg bei der Musikgruppe AERA + unzählige Tourneen, Konzerte, Rundfunk- und Fernsehübertragungen mit AERA + ab 1976 spielt er als erster Deutscher Bläser das Lyrikon und führt es auf den Frankfurter Messen vor …

Source: http://www.musikgruppeaera.de/html/musiker.htm

Th.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:52 am 

I insist, Lyricon. First time I heard it back in 1990 on the first Jethro box http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kf4b4zXRHU, I instantly thought it sounded funny & quite interesting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyricon

But I guess it was a simple, regular run-of-the-mill melodica fed through some Minimoog filters and amps, in Andre Lewis' case.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:17 am 

buffalo_voice wrote:
I insist, Lyricon. …

Right. Maybe the Lyrikon spelling is speciality of Klaus Kreuzeder.

BTW: Even if Peter Wolf was a little shy to use the EMU with Frank sometimes, he used it on André Heller's '78 album Basta! The liner notes also say: "… frank zappa stellte mir (André Heller) liebenswürdigerweise seinen emu zur verfügung …"

That album also has Terry Bozzio, Patrick O'Hearn, Ed Mann (among others) on it. "… ian underwood programmierte den oberheim …", to make the Zappa connection complete.

Th.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:31 pm 

Thinman wrote:
Has this already been posted somewhere around here?

http://www.zappasgear.com/TommyMarsInterview.html

Th.

sweet website, thank you for bringing this to my attention

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:31 pm 

Hi,

Quote:
...... the first thing the guy wants to do is sound like a guitar player ... every keyboard player has always wanted to bend notes all of his life ... now he can push the wheel and fo wheeeee ...

You know the sad part of this statement?

Frank was insecure about his own work and ability!

Why would he ever worry about that ... because he would lose, or have to go compete with fake guitar players that ... 20 years later learned it on Guitar Hero? You know, very well, that this is some serious bullshit, and I probably would have walked out of the room ... and told him ... for someone that wants to talk about serious music, the only thing you can talk to me about is ... some idiot line about uneducated musicians that are just playing with their weewee's?

Sorry ... Frank, sometimes played the rock star and put people down that he should not have done, and made himself look stupid! One of these days you might want to read the Guy Guden blog on Frank about his concert in Santa Barbara. It's pathetic, and you had to call Frank's bluff at times ... and hopefully he didn't have to play this game with his own wife and children ... that would be pathetic!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:11 am 

Moshkito wrote:
[..] Why would he ever worry [..]

Huh -- huh, now, wouldn't you say that going wheedleeewee on a monosynth had become quite an overwrought concept by 1978? I'm sure a few English m'$%rf'="ers carried it well into the 90s, but hey, here's FZ in Dave Rossum/Tom Oberheim-Land going for some decent textures beyond the string-box thing..