Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:39 am 

Dark Clothes wrote:
Do you want to be lectured by someone who likes the stuff, or someone who doesn't care for it?

Really? I would venture a wild guess that he would prefer not to be lectured by either.

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:59 am 

:wink:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:28 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Dark Clothes wrote:
Do you want to be lectured by someone who likes the stuff, or someone who doesn't care for it?

Really? I would venture a wild guess that he would prefer not to be lectured by either.

With poly's line of work, I should think that he gives the odd lecture himself, so I assumed that he appreciates some kind of lecturing 8)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:50 am 

polydigm wrote:
... I'm getting a bit tired of the pompous asses who come here to tell people how to listen to Beefheart and where they're getting it wrong and basically questioning anyone's right to have an opinion and god forbid dare to speak of it out loud.

I probably said stuff like this before, but I think alot of that comes from the fact the many Beefheart fans get shit from nearly everyone they know about how CB is unlistenable and "turn that shit off". With the jarring rhythms and semi-nonsense lyrics most people just don't have the patience for it and even if they do it may just not be their kind of thing. So, in moments of hope, the Beefheart fan will point out clues as to how the non-CB fan can learn to appreciate it or at least be able to deal with it. Then, of course, the non-CB fan hears some of it again and hates the CB-fan even more for convincing them to try again. For some reason FZ used to get this treatment but doesn't as much any more. Years ago, if I was at a party or just hanging out with friends and put on FZ, people would quickly call for a change of tunes. Now, most of those same people like FZ (not all of it of course) but still can't listen to CB.
Me, I'm still psyched that there are people on this forum who like Blue Jeans & Moonbeams when the clear tide of "pompous asses" turn their collective noses up at it. (asses with noses?) That gives me hope that people aren't just listening to selected parts of the CB discography cuz its respected canon as I'm sure many people do with FZ LSO et al

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:58 am 

Great analysis, The Forum Killed Arkay!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:22 am 

ya gotta admit tho' that for all Frank's genius he inspired so much crap from musicians that followed.
Whereas Beefheart is a huge inspiration to a ton of great bands.
It's weird, for all Don's non-knowledge of music, primitivism, he's turned out to be the more influential artist.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:30 am 

duh-leted upon request

Last edited by brainpang on Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:43 am 

brainpang wrote:
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Me, I'm still psyched that there are people on this forum who like Blue Jeans & Moonbeams when the clear tide of "pompous asses" turn their collective noses up at it. (asses with noses?)

I have a hard time with that record. From the mighty heights of his greats to "that thing" can be tough to swallow. It's painful. It's like going from the Beatles Abbey Road to John Lennon;'s "Sometime in NYCity." It's a rough ride. Nuthin' snobbish about it.

I like Sometime in NY as well (I only have the vinyl and my own mp3 coversions of that vinyl, not cd). I don't even find FZ's mixes of that material superior, just a different perspective. Pleasure, not pain, go figure. Now, Yoko's contribution, thats another story! :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:29 am 

brainpang wrote:
ya gotta admit tho' that for all Frank's genius he inspired so much crap from musicians that followed.
It's weird, for all Don's non-knowledge of music, primitivism, he's turned out to be the more influential artist.

Actually, I don't have to admit that. :smoke:

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:10 pm 

I was first exposed to Captain Beefheart via Bongo Fury (thanks Frank) I purchased Trout Mask Replica sometime later and couldn't get into it, that LP was used to close down parties on more than one occasion. Some years later while on a road trip, the previous users of our hire car had left a Trout Mask CD in the player. After an initial groan from the little woman, we listened to the captain for 3 or 4 days straight, and his music/poetry wormed it's way into my brain, and I like to think helped in no small way to speed the end of our marrage (thanks Don).

Bat Chain Puller has surpassed my expectations (which were admittedly a little low) and is now on heavy rotate, and now I can't find the hire car copy of Trout Mask?????
may have to blow the dust forwards off the turntable.

Thanks for listening

"Am I a fan, or a so-called fan?"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:37 pm 

Still can't listen to his music.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:10 pm 

Look, I certainly wasn't referring to Dark Clothes or Arkay in my last "lecture". But, Wen D. Carlos is a good example of an arse. Hence my earlier comment about burning pyjamas. I've tried all of the Captains stuff and I'm not a fan, some of it's painfully bad in my opinion some of it's interesting, to me, and that's all there is to it. Bat Chain Puller is okay, I just find it pretty ordinary.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:18 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
brainpang wrote:

I will admit I looked at your videos as inspiration for my comment.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:19 am 

polydigm wrote:
Look, I certainly wasn't referring to Dark Clothes or Arkay in my last "lecture". But, Wen D. Carlos is a good example of an arse. Hence my earlier comment about burning pyjamas. I've tried all of the Captains stuff and I'm not a fan, some of it's painfully bad in my opinion some of it's interesting, to me, and that's all there is to it. Bat Chain Puller is okay, I just find it pretty ordinary.

ORDINARY!? Sheesh.

Hmmm, let see, what will it be today? Jazz Discharge Party Hats or Floppy Boot Stomp? Damn, just can't make up my mind...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:27 am 

brainpang wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:
brainpang wrote:

I will admit I looked at your videos as inspiration for my comment.

Thanks for watching!

Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:30 am 

brainpang wrote:
Hmmm, let see, what will it be today? Jazz Discharge Party Hats or Floppy Boot Stomp? Damn, just can't make up my mind...

If I had to pick never getting to hear one again vs. never getting to hear the other, I'd pick the option to get to re-visit JDPH, personally.

Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:33 am 

brainpang wrote:
ORDINARY!? Sheesh.
To me. I'm not instructing you to find it so.

brainpang wrote:
Neither.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:41 am 

I forgot that I'm no longer allowed to have an opinion. Please instruct me on what I am allowed to like or dislike from now on.

Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:08 pm 

What you guys need to do is come around to my house and I'll show you how to listen to Beefheart properly! 8)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:12 pm 

thenoisydrum wrote:
What you guys need to do is come around to my house and I'll show you how to listen to Beefheart properly! 8)

I personally dig a bunch of Beefheart's catalog. I'm not sure how brainpang messed me up in all of this. I still stand by my beliefs that everyone is entitled to an opinion though.

However, noisydrum, if you'd like to provide me with proper transportation to wherever it is you live, I'll take the time to make it happen! :mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:18 pm 

Let me educate Poly first and then I'll arrange for you to be flown over to the UK too - 1st class of course, with a bullet!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:25 pm 

thenoisydrum wrote:
Let me educate Poly first and then I'll arrange for you to be flown over to the UK too - 1st class of course, with a bullet!

Aw, you're such a treat! :wink:

Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:34 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
I forgot that I'm no longer allowed to have an opinion. Please instruct me on what I am allowed to like or dislike from now on.
If this is aimed at me, I'm not trying to instruct anyone on anything except one point and that is that we all have a right to our opinions and not to be instructed by anyone else. Don't let the Beefheart bullies get you down.

BTW, maybe you should read the post from brainpang about your videos again and ask him what he means. I for one am now curious what his veiled point is there.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:49 pm 

thenoisydrum wrote:
Let me educate Poly first ...
Anyone who knows me here knows I'm only really interested in two things (drum roll ... no, not titties and beer ...), maths and music composition. You could care less about the maths, but the music thing being relevant here, I don't have time to listen to that much music because I'm too busy pursuing my two main interests. With the music composition thing I - like FZ - am trying to find my own voice and so I don't listen to too much of anyone else's music any more. Although, as far as FZ is concerned and several other composers on my favourites list, it's way too late. I spend many more hours writing music, etching away at the piano, arranging and refining my own music and honing my guitar skills than I do listening to anyone else's music. The fact of the matter is that there's probably plenty of music out there that I would like more than CB's that I just don't have the time or inclination to investigate. Educate away if you must, but I'm not listening.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:02 pm 

polydigm wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:
If this is aimed at me, I'm not trying to instruct anyone on anything except one point and that is that we all have a right to our opinions and not to be instructed by anyone else. Don't let the Beefheart bullies get you down.

BTW, maybe you should read the post from brainpang about your videos again and ask him what he means. I for one am now curious what his veiled point is there.

Most certainly not aimed at you, polydigm. You've never expressed to me (or anyone) "you're doing it wrong!" when it comes to our opinions. :wink:

Brainpang was being facetious. He was implying that after seeing my video it made him realize once again that FZ's genius inspires crap from musicians that followed in his footsteps (whereas Beefheart is a huge inspiration to a ton of great bands).
First of all, I never said that FZ had anything to do with influencing my tune nor my video. Second, I never instructed brainpang to watch it. I was being facetious right back at him telling him "Thanks for watching!" :mrgreen:
I'm totally inspired by Frank Zappa. I'm totally inspired by many artists (even <gasp><shock><awe>Beefheart!) However, neither of them were an influence on that tune. (I can only assume he's referring to my "Souls" video) from my upcoming album.

Brainpang, I can only assume you're a miserable SOB that doesn't have a steady steady. Please don't take it out on me - I'm a happy guy with a happy family. I love Zappa and Beefheart and (get this) having opinions (I'm pretty sure I'm entitled to them too!)

Image Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next