Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:42 pm 

I don't care anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:08 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
I don't care anymore.
You care enough to keep us informed on how you feel and that's sweet of you.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:32 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
I don't care anymore.

Yes! Buncha dreary Synclaiver stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:29 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:
I don't care anymore.

I don't even LIKE Frank Zappa (I think this is actually going to work fellahs! wink wink)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:38 am 

polydigm wrote:
Hey Boris, don't be so shy. Typical criticism of FZ was that he used a lot of elements that he didn't actually create himself. That picture in the context of the agony of waiting for Dance Me This puts it totally into perspective.

You're right, poly! I'm a flippin' genius! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:26 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
I don't care anymore.

Hey, can't dig your resignation, dm : You're one hell of a drummer!
Pleeeze do some more Brand X, would you?

Image :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:04 pm 

So what is Dance Me This?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:36 pm 

Just another imaginary suggestion, still hoping for the day to come:

My favourite track on the album probably will be calculus. Hope, i will live long enough to find out.

Post subject: Re: dance me this
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:23 pm 

zomby'sprog wrote:

dance me this
click it

Post subject: Re: dance me this
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:00 am 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
zomby'sprog wrote:

dance me this
click it

Quote:
It's probably not going to come out until next year.

I guess he was right!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:41 pm 

IrishBoris wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:
I don't care anymore.

I don't even LIKE Frank Zappa (I think this is actually going to work fellahs! wink wink)

Hasn't so far.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:12 pm 

ursinator wrote:
Just another imaginary suggestion, still hoping for the day to come:

My favourite track on the album probably will be calculus. Hope, i will live long enough to find out.

Nice one!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:50 am 

Thnx. There is at least one good thing about the waiting for the album: We can imagine how it will look like.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:42 pm 

I wonder what this album explores exactly, given Frank apparently described it as a tool for modern dance groups (according to quote on page on it at globalia.net)? Perhaps it's actually more novelty in nature than a serious works but, regardless, it would be interesting to find out. 8) Knowing Frank, this desrption probably doesn't give a full impression either. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:48 pm 

I think this is pretty much his final work of new compositions right? Can't wait to hear it. Seeing as he was experimenting with 6 channel sound at the time maybe this will be a 5.1 mix?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:07 am 

BloodSugar00 wrote:
I wonder what this album explores exactly, given Frank apparently described it as a tool for modern dance groups (according to quote on page on it at globalia.net)? Perhaps it's actually more novelty in nature than a serious works but, regardless, it would be interesting to find out. 8) Knowing Frank, this desrption probably doesn't give a full impression either. :wink:

well, I'd like to hear such novelty songs :smoke: :)

The Tuvans sang in "Free Time" (no click track for reference). Todd Yvega wanted to show FZ how it is possible to have the Synclavier match a constantly changing external tempo. Todd wrote a neat musical sequence in Script (a music/computer language in the Synclavier).

Tempos were approximated at every realistic interval. Todd then used Cubic Splines (something used in Calculus) to "fill in the spaces" (speeding up and slowing down in a non- linear manner). The Synclavier now accurately followed the Tuvans.

http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/notes/Dance_Me_This.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:03 pm 

brunofulax wrote:
BloodSugar00 wrote:

The Tuvans sang in "Free Time" (no click track for reference). Todd Yvega wanted to show FZ how it is possible to have the Synclavier match a constantly changing external tempo. Todd wrote a neat musical sequence in Script (a music/computer language in the Synclavier).

Tempos were approximated at every realistic interval. Todd then used Cubic Splines (something used in Calculus) to "fill in the spaces" (speeding up and slowing down in a non- linear manner). The Synclavier now accurately followed the Tuvans.

Fair enough, I probably should of read more of that page before commenting (I did suspect the possibility that Frank's assertion may of belied a deeper truth, however/that it may of been somewhat droll, or at least misleading via omission); if the works on that album are in the artistic vein of what's speculated-anticipated in the references accumulated there, it sounds very intriguing to me too! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:57 am 

BloodSugar00 wrote:
brunofulax wrote:
BloodSugar00 wrote:

Fair enough, I probably should of read more of that page before commenting (I did suspect the possibility that Frank's assertion may of belied a deeper truth, however/that it may of been somewhat droll, or at least misleading via omission); if the works on that album are in the artistic vein of what's speculated-anticipated in the references accumulated there, it sounds very intriguing to me too! :mrgreen:

Regardless...the Syncalavier stuff is dismal and lifeless...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:37 am 

Jaminbenb wrote:

GTFO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:05 am 

Buckalos wrote:
Jaminbenb wrote:

GTFO

DISMAL and LIFELESS!

It's COLD!

Can't get into it...won't buy it....

Let's get some music played by actual HUMANS, not typed into an outdated computer....regardless of whom did the typing!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:21 pm 

G-Spot Tornado or Night School or Put A Motor In Yourself or A Pig With Wings - dismal and lifeless?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:36 pm 

polydigm wrote:
G-Spot Tornado or Night School or Put A Motor In Yourself or A Pig With Wings - dismal and lifeless?

G-Sot Tornado by the Ensemble Modern is awesome!

Anything on a Synclavier is cold, dismal, and lifeless! It has NOTHING to do with the amount of notes being played (or their speed)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:07 pm 

Jaminbenb wrote:
Anything on a Synclavier is cold, dismal,

Ensemble Modern is pretty cold. I wonder if they approach personal relationships the same way they approach music. It must be hard to live with someone who enjoys making things much more difficult than they have to be.

With the Synclavier, it's obvious Zappa programmed some random shit just to see what it sounded like. He let the machine do some of the work. That makes it less human, but no less valid. Although it rarely hits the spot for me. Then again, I'm a fan of what I would call the more emotional stuff. For example: Blessed Relief is one of my favorites.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:17 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Jaminbenb wrote:
Anything on a Synclavier is cold, dismal,

Ensemble Modern is pretty cold. I wonder if they approach personal relationships the same way they approach music. It must be hard to live with someone who enjoys making things much more difficult than they have to be.

With the Synclavier, it's obvious Zappa programmed some random shit just to see what it sounded like. He let the machine do some of the work. That makes it less human, but no less valid. Although it rarely hits the spot for me. Then again, I'm a fan of what I would call the more emotional stuff. For example: Blessed Relief is one of my favorites.

I just heard a soundcheck jam that Ike Willis put up on FB called "Sleep-Napkins" which was essentially Frank playing Black Napkins (in a minor key) to the rest of the band playing Sleep Dirt, and it's FUCKING AMAZING! Put THAT up against any Synclavier stuff, and tell me what's better!

Sorry....no matter what notes are played....anything on a "computer" is cold and lifeless! Dismal, depressing, PATHETIC!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:40 pm 

Dio Fa. But for the most part I agree.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next