Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:47 pm 

Get the FZ Saturday Night Live appearances for a decent price.

Just a note to remind folks that Best Buy has Season 2 for $9.99 and Target has Season 4 for $14.99 through Saturday.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:13 pm 

WalkerJWalker wrote:
Get the FZ Saturday Night Live appearances for a decent price.

Just a note to remind folks that Best Buy has Season 2 for $9.99 and Target has Season 4 for $14.99 through Saturday.

Maybe I can afford to get the ones I'm missing now. (3-5)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:59 pm 

Cool, thanks. I'll check out Best Buy tomorrow for Season 2, hell I might as well grab #1 too if they have it.

Target has packaged Season 3 & 4 together for $14.99. Never knew OJ Simpson hosted in Feb. '78 :mrgreen: That's like a buck a DVD! I grabbed that a few days ago.

Does anyone have any idea if and when they're gonna put out Seasons 6 & 7? Yeah, I know they're regarded as shitty with the new casts, but I really want these.
I want #6 mainly for the Beefheart footage, and #7 for the Fear footage.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:56 pm 

Wow, thanks for the tip. I just returned from Target and got 3 and 4.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:45 pm 

I've got Season 6 on a DVD that somebody sent me - they're all recorded off TV. I don't think it's HORRIBLE, as there's an occasional good sketch among the crap.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:11 am 

Yeah, Best Buy near me has 'em. Grabbed Seasons 1 & 2. Too good a deal for $9.99. Still had the original $34.99 sticker on 'em. #5 being newer was @ 15.99. I'll get that one someday.. If they're having slashed-down sales like this to dump inventory in huge chain stores, then I would guess now they're in no hurry to put out the early '80s seasons on DVD.

More likely it would be a digital pay-per-episode deal, which I see Amazon already has with the '70s shows. I don't understand why anyone would pay for an episode to download when there's youtube and other ways to see it for free on the computer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:51 am 

Found seasons 3 & 4 together for $14.95 at Target.Season 4 has FZ hosting and musical guest.It's still a hoot to see John Belushi as a samari special musical guest with FZ conducting! One cool feature is you can watch it all the way through or just selected scenes.The whole show is good though. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:44 am 

I'm up to season 11 now. Just watched the season opener when Madonna hosted and Lorne Michaels came back to produce. I've heard how horrible the show was, but I don't see it. I've seen some lots of worse shows.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:54 pm 

Night on freak mountain is the best sketch. His musical performances from 76 are much better than the 78 episode. He actually plays his guitar in 76.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:29 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
I'm up to season 11 now. Just watched the season opener when Madonna hosted and Lorne Michaels came back to produce. I've heard how horrible the show was, but I don't see it. I've seen some lots of worse shows.

The critics never liked Madonna per say,so the responce was negitive for that show,but Lorne Michaels* coming back imo,was what kept SNL alive at that time.I had stopped watching before he came back and hired some "talent".Real unfunny,senseless,boring shows.Why waste a Sat. night or money now watching lousy shows.I was his target audience back then! :)

*What years/seasons did LM leave and come back? Anyone?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:00 pm 

He left after the 5th. Doumanian was in for the sixth, and was fired shortly after. Dick Ebersol did 7-10. Michaels 11th through wherever the hell they are now. 42?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:00 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
He left after the 5th. Doumanian was in for the sixth, and was fired shortly after. Dick Ebersol did 7-10. Michaels 11th through wherever the hell they are now. 42?

Thanx cal,maybe they'll release those episodes as SNL-The Lean Years.Dick Ebersol did have a few good years,but I don't know which ones. :|

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:11 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

Thanx cal,maybe they'll release those episodes as SNL-The Lean Years.Dick Ebersol did have a few good years,but I don't know which ones. :|

He had Eddie Murphy for 7 through part of season 9, which helped. For 10 he just hired a bunch of pros, instead of the usual unknowns.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:52 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

He had Eddie Murphy for 7 through part of season 9, which helped. For 10 he just hired a bunch of pros, instead of the usual unknowns.

When Eddie Murphy and Joe Piscapo started on SNL,was when I started watching again.The're what brought me back.That and Update (the news) were always some of my favorite skits.Which season had EM doing the James Brown getting in a hot-tub skit and JP singing as The Chairman of the Board? (Frank Sinatra) I think it was the first season they (Murphy-Piscapo) were on.EM might of started the Mr.Robinson's Neighborhood skit on that show also.I wouldn't mind getting those yrs/seasons,but I sure don't want those lean years at all.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:09 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
When Eddie Murphy and Joe Piscapo started on SNL,was when I started watching again.The're what brought me back.That and Update (the news) were always some of my favorite skits.Which season had EM doing the James Brown getting in a hot-tub skit and JP singing as The Chairman of the Board? (Frank Sinatra) I think it was the first season they (Murphy-Piscapo) were on.EM might of started the Mr.Robinson's Neighborhood skit on that show also.I wouldn't mind getting those yrs/seasons,but I sure don't want those lean years at all.

Piscopo did Sinatra on at least 7-9, I don't remember right now if he did it in season 6. The Eddie hot tub thing is from season 9, the season that he wasn't there mostly.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/97800/saturda ... -tub-party

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:58 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

Piscopo did Sinatra on at least 7-9, I don't remember right now if he did it in season 6. The Eddie hot tub thing is from season 9, the season that he wasn't there mostly.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/97800/saturda ... -tub-party

LMAO! Just as funny today as when it came out! Thanx cal. I remember this skit opened the show,or it was the first skit after the 1st break.I also remember thinking Eddie Murphy wasn't on that much (except for the Hot Tub skit) after that scene.I think your right about Piscopo to.I think he came up with the Sinatra act after the 1st season he was on.
If I could get Hulu to stream smoothly,I'd cut the cable out and watch Hulu instead,saving $70 bucks a month! I posted this on Zappatube but I know you'll love it too as we wait for the whole movie/DVD to be an official release. http://youtu.be/rorBj5i21A8 These songs aren't on the record.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:46 pm 

Is that like two different posts? Almost a non sequitur.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:59 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Is that like two different posts? Almost a non sequitur.

That one slipped by me cal.Not a good segway is it? :roll: I was listening to the clip while I posting.Not that that's an excuse or anything. :oops: