Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:32 am 

This is a new thread for all those who listen so closely to non-FZ bands that every once in a while one will find an FZ musical quote within a non-FZ artist's performance.

First of all, we are not interested in licensed lyric quotes like the Aerosmith ones on Permanent Vacation, and ZPZ does not count.

Listening to moe. Warts and All Volume 6, disc 3, the first song Four, and discovered that after the first verses, that the tune slowly evolves into a instrumental "guitar solo" section of Inca Roads, culminating around 8:23 with the part of Inca Roads right before "did a vehicle..."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:16 am 

I can't think of any right now, but will keep my ears wide open for possible cases...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:08 am 

For at least the last 10+ years Parliament-Funkadelic play the main riff of I'm the Slime at the end Cosmic Slop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DZHccUGdY4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:31 pm 

"Die Grobschnitt Story 0" , released 2010. A collection of early songs by german group 'Grobschnitt'
The skipping record needle sounds, from WOIIFTM, are used to seperate tracks of live tomfoolery, in 2 places. NOT just an incredible simulation, but taken right from the Zappa album.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:53 am 

KC and the Sunshine Band - Get Down Tonight (1975)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7RRLC5slLo
studio

KC and the Sunshine Band - Get Down Tonight ('75)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IbN5WcBriY
live

Got to be Zappa Influence Uncle Meat-NTOIP check the guitar intro on the studio version he don't play it the same live,I think it is Speed up :?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:17 am 

There's a band called Raq that covers FZ. Their concerts are up at the Internet Archive site. (and they're pretty good).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:17 am 

During a Yes-gig at Hanover, Germany, in 2003, Jon Anderson told a story about the heroes of his youth (Mickey Mouse and Frank Zappa mainly) and then sang a few lines from Dancin' Fool.

No shit.

Th.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:01 am 

the post hard core band, Glassjaw has tons of zappa references.

here's one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6Ep0PmczN4

A '55 Chevy that his brother just stoled

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:12 am 

What I would like to do, if I had the time, would be to assemble a list of all the Zappa references / quotes from Weird Al Yankovic's 'Genius In France' with time stamps.

Some examples are:

1. 'I'm the Slime' guitar intro
2. 'City of Tiny Lites' guitar solo riff "Wee-wee"
3. 'Dog Breath' melody "La la-la la-la, oooh-wee-oooh"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:54 am 

I hear a lot of FZ quotes when I go to see Dweezil live.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:53 pm 

tiboudre wrote:
What I would like to do, if I had the time, would be to assemble a list of all the Zappa references / quotes from Weird Al Yankovic's 'Genius In France' with time stamps.

Some examples are:

1. 'I'm the Slime' guitar intro
2. 'City of Tiny Lites' guitar solo riff "Wee-wee"
3. 'Dog Breath' melody "La la-la la-la, oooh-wee-oooh"

"Great googly moogly"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:59 pm 

Hmm, never noticed this connection before......

http://www.whosampled.com/sample/view/783/Dream%20Theater-Take%20the%20Time_Frank%20Zappa-Dancin'%20Fool/

Mainly because other than "wait a minute" I don't hear the similarity.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:08 pm 

Todd Rundgrens Utopia, album is a definitive I want to be playing like Frank album, while original in some ways it has many FZ moments...One of my desert Island albums... :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:31 am 

Last edited by Yoke on Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:45 pm 

Plook wrote:
Todd Rundgrens Utopia, album is a definitive I want to be playing like Frank album, while original in some ways it has many FZ moments...One of my desert Island albums... :smoke:

I didn't get into Utopia until Oops! Wrong Planet. I did eventually get Another Live which I really liked but I've still never listened to the first Utopia album or RA. I need to fix that. I know Todd dug Frank and witnessed some FZ rehearsals over time. No doubt an influence.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:38 pm 

Plook wrote:

I think Todd's - A Wizard, A True Star has some sections of tape munipulation and some short songs on there are very FZ like. You Need Your head / Rock and Roll Pussy - http://youtu.be/5-21kw6CeLA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:49 pm 

From an interview with Entertainment Weekly:

“Genius In France” (2003)
“I put that at the end of an album because it’s a long song, but that was a real labor of love. That was obviously meant to sound like Frank Zappa. That was quite a challenge. I don’t like easy challenges. To do a pastiche of Zappa is quite an undertaking, and it’s meant to sound mostly like early to mid ‘70s Zappa. I listened to his catalog and made notes about his idiosyncrasies and his musical stylings and I tried to put on a skin and tried to do a song in his style, which is very difficult to achieve.
I think having [his son] Dweezil Zappa play the opening guitar lick adds a little more authenticity to it, but we gave it our best shot, and that’s one of the songs I’m most proud of. I think we recorded it in 17 separate sections and then spliced them all together. If you add up all the time I spent on that one song, it’s probably two or three months out of my life. Zappa is one of my all-time heroes, so there was this extra pressure. You don’t want to mess up. You want to do justice to the song. I was definitely feeling the pressure.
My Mt. Rushmore of inspirations would probably be Stan Freberg, Spike Jones, Tom Lehrer and Allan Sherman, but Zappa is way up there too. I heard the Apostrophe album when it came out in the early ‘70s, and that was a huge inspiration to me.”