Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:54 pm
Posts: 225
Location: Were We Ever Really Safe In San Antonio?
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Todd's 1st solo album. Not a high-gloss production, very much an early 70s sound. I give it mixed reviews. The radio hit from this album "We Gotta Get You a Woman" is ok, but so corny it can make me cringe. TR is way into Laura Nyro at this time and the lyrics of "Baby Lets Swing" directly address her. The TR exhibit at the R&R Hall of Fame showed some letters/poems they had sent to each other in the 70s. TR's infatuation with Nyro even contributed to him leaving the Nazz and of course this is the 1st TR album made after that.
There are several tunes on this album that I consider throwaways: There Are No Words, Who's That Man, and Once Burned. They're ok, but I don't find myself returning to them much. Devil's Bite and I'm in the Clique are Quirky TR and fun. But, my favs of the album are the Medley and Birthday Carol. Broke Down and Busted has had some live performances over the years, but this is another album that TR rarely returns to.



i think Once Burned is a fine song and made that much better by the fact that it sounds nothing like Todd! i agree with your faves but i would have included Believe In Me as well. i had no idea the RNR Hall of Fame Had a TR exhibit, i'd love to see that; and to think he's not even IN the damn hall itself...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 3443
Location: Between the Badges
myourself wrote:
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Todd's 1st solo album. Not a high-gloss production, very much an early 70s sound. I give it mixed reviews. The radio hit from this album "We Gotta Get You a Woman" is ok, but so corny it can make me cringe. TR is way into Laura Nyro at this time and the lyrics of "Baby Lets Swing" directly address her. The TR exhibit at the R&R Hall of Fame showed some letters/poems they had sent to each other in the 70s. TR's infatuation with Nyro even contributed to him leaving the Nazz and of course this is the 1st TR album made after that.
There are several tunes on this album that I consider throwaways: There Are No Words, Who's That Man, and Once Burned. They're ok, but I don't find myself returning to them much. Devil's Bite and I'm in the Clique are Quirky TR and fun. But, my favs of the album are the Medley and Birthday Carol. Broke Down and Busted has had some live performances over the years, but this is another album that TR rarely returns to.



i think Once Burned is a fine song and made that much better by the fact that it sounds nothing like Todd! i agree with your faves but i would have included Believe In Me as well. i had no idea the RNR Hall of Fame Had a TR exhibit, i'd love to see that; and to think he's not even IN the damn hall itself...

Yeah, Once Burned is OK but not essential, thats what I meant by throwaway. I think of it as a slower style of singing that was used in Mystified on Utopia's POV. As for Believe in Me, I was thinkin I'd throw that in when I do Ballad of TR.

Also, I forgot to copy the link of the alternate version of Runt for those completists out there.

http://toddrundgrensutopia.blogspot.com ... chive.html

Upon its release in June 1970 the album was issued with 10 tracks. After "We Gotta Get You a Woman" became a hit single, Ampex decided to press more copies of the LP in November 1970 to keep up with demand. A rejected 12-track master of the LP was accidentally sent to the pressing plant resulting in approximately 5,000 mis-presses. Instead of throwing out the LPs, Ampex decided to sell them anyway, unmarked, as a sort of surprise to the purchaser. There are rumours of an 11-track pressing but none have been documented.

Track Listing

Side one

Broke Down and Busted (same as standard version but with short intro from There Are No Words)
Believe in Me (alternate mix)
We Got to Get You a Woman (alternate mix)
Once Burned (same as standard version)
Who's That Man? (same as standard version)
Hope I'm Around (not on standard version, but an alternate version was included on his second album)
Devil's Bite (alternate mix with extended guitar solo)

Side two

I'm in the Clique (same as standard version)
There Are No Words (same as standard version)
Baby Let's Swing (full length song, not part of a medley)
Say No More (not on standard version)
Birthday Carol (partially the same as standard version, but with some brief alterations)

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:54 pm
Posts: 225
Location: Were We Ever Really Safe In San Antonio?
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:

Yeah, Once Burned is OK but not essential, thats what I meant by throwaway. I think of it as a slower style of singing that was used in Mystified on Utopia's POV. As for Believe in Me, I was thinkin I'd throw that in when I do Ballad of TR.


i don't really like Todd's singing in most of Mystified. to me it's that trying too hard Emperor of the Highway (which i actually like) voice only made worse with that "i'm an old bluesman" affectation.
as for the original Runt i have to say the changes made to it were all for the better. can't get into the full length Baby Let's Swing, it NEEDS to cut directly into The Last thing You Said then Don't Tie My Hands. i would have liked Say No More to be on the Ballad of TR though, it has a certain mood to it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3305
Location: Chicago, IL
tweezers wrote:
And yes it is commercial, but Something/Anything has some really pretty songs on it (It Wouldn't Have Made Any Difference) comes readily to mind.


I would've told you that I loved most of the material on S/A, tweezers, but it wouldn't have made any difference.... :mrgreen:

_________________
Current favorite new (to me!) spin: Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights
(Wondering why it took this long for me to recognize her genius!)

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 3443
Location: Between the Badges
RundgrenRadio.com is proud to announce two concerts featuring Todd Rundgren, accompanied by the Rockford Symphony Orchestra, on June 1st and 2nd, 2012 at the historic Coronado Performing Arts Center in Rockford, IL.

These will be Rundgren's first ever symphonic shows in North America; in September of last year, Todd performed two sold out concerts in the Netherlands backed by the Dutch Metropole Orchestra, and was smitten by the genre.

Image

I just got tix for the Saturday Show! :)

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:54 pm
Posts: 225
Location: Were We Ever Really Safe In San Antonio?
Arkay, have a great time (as i'm sure you will)! i had the immense pleasure of seeing Todd for the first time just last month and it was magic!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 15122
myourself wrote:
Arkay, have a great time (as i'm sure you will)! i had the immense pleasure of seeing Todd for the first time just last month and it was magic!!


I think Arkay has seen him a few times. :)

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:54 pm
Posts: 225
Location: Were We Ever Really Safe In San Antonio?
calvin2hikers wrote:
myourself wrote:
Arkay, have a great time (as i'm sure you will)! i had the immense pleasure of seeing Todd for the first time just last month and it was magic!!


I think Arkay has seen him a few times. :)


so...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 15122
myourself wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
myourself wrote:
Arkay, have a great time (as i'm sure you will)! i had the immense pleasure of seeing Todd for the first time just last month and it was magic!!


I think Arkay has seen him a few times. :)


so...


Nothing...just sayin'

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 3443
Location: Between the Badges
Its true, I've seen TR many times. Magical too!

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 15122
I think I saw him in a video once.

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 21493
Location: Somewhere in time
I saw TR and Utopia a few times:

'77 Utopia RA tour
'78 Back to the Bars at the Roxy 2nd to last night which was about half of the Album (my first date with my wife also) and I can be heard on the album.
Utopia at the Greek 2 nights '79
Universal Amphitheatre TR Solo '82
Universal Amphitheatre Utopia '85

:smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 19183
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
Saw Todd live on Aug. 9, 1974, at an outdoor concert on Toronto's Centre Island. Also there ...Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show, Rory Gallagher, and Status Quo.
A streaker ran through the crowd, and was grabbed by 2 police officers. The streaker then started wiggling about, trying to escape. He also started pissing, in long, graceful arcs. The police held on, trying to stay behind him, but the surrounding crowd wasn't as lucky! Fortunately, I was close enough to see, and far enough away to not worry about sprinkles. 8)
Note: Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show tend to change their lyrics when appearing live. "Sylvia's Mother" was never better/funnier!

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 3443
Location: Between the Badges
The Symphonic TR show was a couple weeks ago, but I lost the cable for my camera and just found it, so I'm seeing these pics now. Kinda blurry, but you get the idea of the ensemble.
I get the idea that either they were practising for a release of the show or they didn't have alot of songs in the repetoire cuz they played 2 songs twice, not that I'm complaining.
TR performed very well as usual, joking about the parts that were flubbed, and there were a few.
Imo, there was too much keyboard. I know TR has many quirky sounds that a symphony can't create, but for the rest, the point of the orchestra is to have the parts arranged FOR orchestra, not keys w/orchestra. It made me feel the orchestrator (whoever that was) was a bit lazy.
I figured there would be many "hits", and there were. We Gotta Get You a Woman, I Saw the Light, Hello Its Me, Can We Still Be Friends...
But there was a hefty dose of the unexpected, like Property, God Said (Love that song!!!), Bag Lady, Wailing Wall, Onomatopoeia and Pretending to Care.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 3443
Location: Between the Badges
I picked up the new Utopia cd yesterday!
Image
Decent sound, cool setlist (no Seven Rays, I get sick of that tune esp with the mid-70s lineups). Lots of high-energy interplay between guitar and keys. New favorite version of Do Ya. I always like The Wheel, but especially good with background vocals on this recording and no Dinky Incan. Fun listen that I'll likely be coming back to alot.

At the symphonic show, I picked up:
Image
I really enjoy the arrangements, hearing them a bit better than the show I saw on this tour. Brings up good memories. The sound could be a bit better, but doesn't detract much. Good for those who like the original.

And lately I have been taking dvds that mostly never had cd releases and burning them to mp3s. Even when there are soundtracks to concerts, they are often different when you dump them straight from the dvd anyway. I've done this for:
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

I've still got a few more to do, but its been great listening to these on the ipod. I rarely sit and watch a dvd. Usually, I'll just throw dvd concerts on in the background when I happen to be in the same room as the dvd player for an extended time. So, its been a blast getting to know some great shows better.

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3305
Location: Chicago, IL
How is that Liars DVD? I dig that album and have wondered what the DVD was like....

_________________
Current favorite new (to me!) spin: Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights
(Wondering why it took this long for me to recognize her genius!)

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 21493
Location: Somewhere in time
I have the Redux CD I like it a lot and I bet that 1980 Utopia show is good, they were at their peak...Besides all being very skilled underrated musicians, their vocals and harmonies were among the best and their timing was beyond belief...if the song ran 7 minutes and 5 seconds on the album they could play it to within a couple seconds, that requires exteme control as most bands play too fast or too slow in general live.

Man I love the Liars cd, that is a must get video for me!

Thanks for the show and tell Arkay... :smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 3443
Location: Between the Badges
Liars Live is my current favorite of the bunch. The bass extends low and the playing is crisp, there is a bright strong ambience to the show. An extended Born to Synthesize is not to be missed. Too bad we don't get a Lunatic Fringe on this.
Live in San Francisco has a great setlist from an awesome tour. I saw em at Navy Pier in the smallest combo he had used in at least a decade. The playing was tight and powerful and we had a great time. But, the more I listen to this I get bothered by the muddy recording, grumble grumble.
Live in Japan was early 90s, when the playing was consistently excellent which is great for a show like this. But if you listen to alot of this tour, you can get a "been there" reaction. On video, you get some nice close-ups of the girls.
Columbus is for the setlist. 3 sets and unique tunes. Not great sound.

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 3443
Location: Between the Badges
There is a new TR album out in April called State.

Image

There doesn't seem to be alot of info out about it other than it being: “a fusion of rock, soul, R&B and electronica that is at once danceable, groundbreaking, spiritual, challenging and infectious.”

Its a good time to see TR in the Chicago area right now. He is playing with the string ensemble Ethel twice in April, then in May, he is back touring for the new album at the Park West where I'll be going to. If anyone has more info on the new album and its tour, lemme know!

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:52 pm
Posts: 5696
Location: Orange County Ca.
I'm curious about Todd's line-up for the State tour. Kasim Sulton joined Blue Oyster Cult last year, and they have alot of shows booked for this year. Who knows TR may tour alone.

I've only seen Todd once, in 2011. Kasim and Prairie were in the band and it was streamed live, and I have a boot of it.

When Rudy Sarzo played w/BOC, during the bass solo EricBloom would have the band play clips of songs from RS's past bands. Like Ozzy-Crazy Train riff, Quiet Riot-Metal Health riff. So now, they do the same thing w/Kasim. When they get to "remember when he was in Utopia" they play a Bang The Drum riff. It should be Love In Action,at least. Oh well, I guess they have to play the most recognizable hit, or most concert goers would be lost.

_________________
This is the exciting part.
This is like The Supremes, see the way it builds up...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 3443
Location: Between the Badges
Thanx for the info. Cool that Kasim is playing with BOC. I saw them in '86. They should play one of the songs that KS sang lead on!
For TR's new album, I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that it will be the today version of the No World Order tour which was TR alone on stage with the Technology-of-the-Day. Back in '94 or so it was remote trigger drumsticks, dancing girls, stoplight clues, one of my fav TR shows of all time. OK, maybe I'm biased, hahahaha.
I'm paranoid about the show in Chicago though because both Ticketmaster and Park West know nothing about the show. Since its posted on several fan sites, I'm assuming it will go on sale soon, but I guess we'll see.

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3701
Location: Vancouver, BC
Before they were deleted 24 hours or so after they were previewed online, I had the opportunity to hear four tracks from State a few days ago. And I would say based on those four cuts, State sounds like a combination of New World Order and Liars...

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 3443
Location: Between the Badges
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
...
I'm paranoid about the show in Chicago though because both Ticketmaster and Park West know nothing about the show. Since its posted on several fan sites, I'm assuming it will go on sale soon, but I guess we'll see.

Well, those shows never happened. I kept an eye on that shit for quite a while, but eventually fell asleep at the switch because this month there are 3 TR shows within driving distance. I found out last week and just now decided to go to tonight's show. I think some new seats were available since a few days age there was nothing but balcony and today I got 14th row!

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3305
Location: Chicago, IL
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Well, those shows never happened. I kept an eye on that shit for quite a while, but eventually fell asleep at the switch because this month there are 3 TR shows within driving distance. I found out last week and just now decided to go to tonight's show. I think some new seats were available since a few days age there was nothing but balcony and today I got 14th row!


Aw man - just looked and both Space shows are sold out. It's bad budget timing anyhow what with the new house.... enjoy Arkay!

_________________
Current favorite new (to me!) spin: Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights
(Wondering why it took this long for me to recognize her genius!)

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 21493
Location: Somewhere in time
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
...
I'm paranoid about the show in Chicago though because both Ticketmaster and Park West know nothing about the show. Since its posted on several fan sites, I'm assuming it will go on sale soon, but I guess we'll see.

Well, those shows never happened. I kept an eye on that shit for quite a while, but eventually fell asleep at the switch because this month there are 3 TR shows within driving distance. I found out last week and just now decided to go to tonight's show. I think some new seats were available since a few days age there was nothing but balcony and today I got 14th row!



Good for you Arkay...I saw Todd many times in the 70's and 80's and he would always release seats the day of the show that he had held (not sure what that was about) I got orchastra pit seats at the Greek twice due to that policy... :smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group