The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:47 pm 

Is this it?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:32 pm 

So it is, whatever it is?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:37 pm 

You are what you is and that's all it is.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:08 pm 

More likely, it's this...

"Hello Boys & Girls,

About 10 Years Ago, shortly after Al Gore invented the internet, we here at UMRK, where we feel it is our duty . decided to announce plans for the Roxy Performances to be unleashed at last on a wholly suspecting public and others besides. What We Knew Then compared to What We Know Now about what is possible is something completely different. I could romanticize and say that over here at the Other Side of the Miracle of Time & Space there is nothing stopping us but the Movie Monster. Every Monster Movie has at least one. Our Movie Monster is THE BUDGET.

Because of the condition the condition was in - no synch, no idea what was what, no idea of the actual coverage, no idea of the quality; all the et ceterae that caused FZ to abandon the project completely - it took all this time (if you include all the other priorities and distractions) to get to this point, so near and yet so far: All of the footage has now been transferred on a best light basis into HD and all camera angles have been "synched" by eye and heart and hand and edit to the original Nagra tapes. We now need to identify all usable camera angles and begin the actual edit. Still, we have miles to go in order to bring the best of the possibilities to a screen near you. And we need your help.

We still have a few wrinkles but our irons are hot and the details of our plan for the next Official Release is bundled in a unique opportunity to participate in a special, social experiment designed to open lots of doors for all Artists and their fans everywhere. Participate and You'll be First. First with your own copy of a Soundtrack to The Roxy Performances. First with your name credited in The Roxy Performances, The Movie. And there are more Firsts. Stay Tuned.

But first, a word from our sponsors. We'll be back with all the relevant details right after the other Mothers' Day.

Thank you for your kind attention to this matter.

gz"

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:35 am 

Huh? What the...

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:12 am 

just plain doug wrote:

the details of our plan for the next Official Release is bundled in a unique opportunity to participate in a special, social experiment designed to open lots of doors for all Artists and their fans everywhere. Participate and You'll be First. First with your own copy of a Soundtrack to The Roxy Performances. First with your name credited in The Roxy Performances, The Movie. And there are more Firsts. Stay Tuned.

gz

what this sounds like to me, and i may be completely wrong, is some sort of "let's get the money thru a pre-order" type situation for the soundtrack just like the MOFO box. and then the funds from that will fund the completion of the movie.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:22 am 

Seems like the "unique opportunity to participate in a special, social experiment designed to open lots of doors for all Artists and their fans everywhere" could mean they are going to solicit visuals from the public for the release. Not sure what, but maybe it could be a little like when The Residents accepted entries for the 40 videos on the Commercial DVD. Or it could just be another cryptic message that Gail could have written in plain English, but for some reason she still likes her style of writing even though everyone else hates it. At least they get David Fricke to write some of the liner notes, him I can understand.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:30 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
just plain doug wrote:

the details of our plan for the next Official Release is bundled in a unique opportunity to participate in a special, social experiment designed to open lots of doors for all Artists and their fans everywhere. Participate and You'll be First. First with your own copy of a Soundtrack to The Roxy Performances. First with your name credited in The Roxy Performances, The Movie. And there are more Firsts. Stay Tuned.

gz

what this sounds like to me, and i may be completely wrong, is some sort of "let's get the money thru a pre-order" type situation for the soundtrack just like the MOFO box. and then the funds from that will fund the completion of the movie.

Yeah, it definitely sounds as preorder. With the previous experiences I have had with them, I am not preordering. Only if there was some possible return involved (i.e., in the sense that we buy some sort of shares in the project). If the only return is a possible release (probably delayed), then I am not tempted.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:45 am 

ZappaArf wrote:
Is this it?

BTW: I have always been confused about which year the Mothers got the name. Zappa states 1964 in his book, but I mean he was arrested in early 1965 (correct me if wrong), and it therefore fits better that it is in May 1965 they became the Mothers. I have always thought that before that (the arrest) he was not performing live with the early Mothers. Any thoughts?

Update: The year of the arrest varies also on the net. I found this from a site related to the newspaper running the original story (Ontario Daily Report); they say '65
http://www.dailybulletin.com/ci_13584340?source=most_emailed

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:07 am 

When you figure it out please post on a new thread. This mystery shit is idiotic.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:52 am 

Its going to be a kickstarter type project just like this....

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/623 ... ok-project

I'm all for it :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:07 am 

I'm not gonna even get my hopes up for a possible Roxy DVD (yet). Until I see definite proof!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:02 am 

Ringo wrote:

Wow! For only $2,500 you not only get a signed copy of the book, but Ike will take you out, and spring for the drinks!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:17 am 

HJ wrote:
(correct me if wrong), and it therefore fits better that it is in May 1965 they became the Mothers. I have always thought that before that (the arrest) he was not performing live with the early Mothers. Any thoughts?

I said this week that date is a load of Bollocks :wink: And the GZ post all this is about is also a load of Bollocks where the fuck is the educational part.It's a bit like playing I spy with a kid even if it gets guessed they say no and invent a lie.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:22 am 

just plain doug wrote:
Ringo wrote:

Wow! For only $2,500 you not only get a signed copy of the book, but Ike will take you out, and spring for the drinks!

I know KU is gonna donate

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:16 am 

HJ wrote:
BTW: I have always been confused about which year the Mothers got the name. Zappa states 1964 in his book, but I mean he was arrested in early 1965 (correct me if wrong), and it therefore fits better that it is in May 1965 they became the Mothers. I have always thought that before that (the arrest) he was not performing live with the early Mothers. Any thoughts?

Update: The year of the arrest varies also on the net. I found this from a site related to the newspaper running the original story (Ontario Daily Report); they say '65
http://www.dailybulletin.com/ci_13584340?source=most_emailed

FZ occasionally got his timing wrong.

Quote:
It all started a long time ago... When I was little, my family was really poor, not only that, they didn't like music too much, see, so... I didn't really get into contact with anything that resembled musical expression until I was about 14 or 15 years old, which is when I got to hear some of it on the radio. I remember riding around in a car and by accident while somebody was turning the station, we came across some oddball station out in Chino, California that was playing a record called "I" by the Velvets.
Has anybody ever heard "I", by the Velvets? Of course you haven't! It was a long time ago!
They were playing "I" by the Velvets and I said "What was that?" And my father says: "No, turn it away! Don't listen to that!" And then that gave me the first inkling that there was something interesting about to happen in the world, then about a week later I heard, I went looking for that same radio station where the weird music was coming out of, and I mashed to hear another record called "Riot in Cellblock Number 9," by the Robins, then proceeded to go to a place that actually sold records, I'd never been to a record store before, I thought that was a good place to start and went in there, and in those days you could take a record into the little room and listen to it before you bought it, so I snatched up "Work with me Annie" and two or three other... A Joe Houston record, and I listened to it and I was hooked!
There was one problem, I didn't have a record player. It took me a year to convince my parents that they should purchase a record player. When they finally got one,it was... I'll describe it to you, it looked like this:... And it had little fake rod iron legs this big, I believe it was a Decca, and it had these little legs at the bottom, so it elevated it off the table about that much cause the speaker was in the bottom. It had one big needle, Osmium tip job... remember the Osium tip? It was capable of the playing of 78rpm records which they provided us with one free record with the record player, the name of the song was "The Little Shoemaker" and my mother used to play that while she was ironing, it was the only record that she liked. And they were very opposed to any involvement to music that I might be interested in you know, that stuff, it was not a good thing for an Italian sort of a person to be doing when you could probably make a better living if you went into science, or engineering or something intelligent. So when I wanted to listen to music I had to unplug the record player from near the ironing board and take it into the bedroom and listen to other things. Well, that got me working on music, and from listening to it for about two years, I decided I would start writing it, and I started writing when I was about 14, and I'm still writing today, I'm 34... And that takes care of Topic Number One.

(source: 23-4-1975 lecture transcript)

Don't you just wish you didn't age at all?

Candy Zappa points out some more discrepancies in TRFZB.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:55 am 

THIS IS THE MYSTERY PART FOR ME: "...bundled in a unique opportunity to participate in a special, social experiment designed to open lots of doors for all Artists and their fans everywhere."

All Artists? My guess is that it has something to do with the official catalog downloads, trying to buck itunes? Some other model? Otherwise it's just another pre-order/get an official thanks thing that's already been done 2 x.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:15 am 

http://www.frankzappa.com/flash/mothersday/index.html

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:58 pm 

Cletus wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
Ringo wrote:

I know KU is gonna donate

He already did.....years ago! :mrgreen:
Glenn Leonard cleaned up Ike's mess again on that one.KU,finally (after 3 yrs) did get 2 CD's and a so sorry note from GL not IW.That tells ya something right there! Is Ike off crack yet?
(btw,U N any band?)

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:23 pm 

I did actually get my name in "The MOFO Project/Object" CD but I was very disappointed with how it was done. If it's that kinda thing I probably won't go for it.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:49 pm 

ZappaArf wrote:
I did actually get my name in "The MOFO Project/Object" CD but I was very disappointed with how it was done. If it's that kinda thing I probably won't go for it.

It looks like if you use all capitol letters,you should be alot easier to find.Like the guy before you,PEDRO DE PACKUS did.A "good to know" thang. :wink: 8)

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:10 pm 

I'm getting my Ouija board out.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:10 am 

jaypfunk wrote:

At least this site is consistent. So Zappa was arrested in early 1964 and not 65?

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:00 am 

HJ wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:

At least this site is consistent. So Zappa was arrested in early 1964 and not 65?

Wikipedia says 1965. End of story.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:00 am 

It was in 1964 paper saying FZ was 24 so late december 1964 :|
Back too what year The Mothers name came about.In the Viva Zappa book there is a pic page 69 got FZ Paris 10th year celebration he got his 74 boots on maybe he still had them 1976,though he did not go too Paris 1975 only 1974/1976 so what I saying is maybe the viva photo maybe 1976 because of first album 1966 :?