Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 519 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:56 am 

The Dutch VWA (who are the official checkers of food and product safety) warn that dildos and vibrators may contain ftalates. Ftalates are used to make plastic softer and can cause kidney diseases when they enter the body. VWA investigated 35 different toys and come to the conclusion that there is no danger with moderate use (under 10 hours per week). They do want producers of grown up toys to mention whether or not the product contains ftalates on the wrapping, and want producers of lubricants to put on the wrapper whether the lube is oil-based or not. Oil can get ftalates out of the plastic.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:07 pm 

BBP wrote:
VWA investigated 35 different toys and come to the conclusion that there is no danger with moderate use (under 10 hours per week).

That's less than an hour-and-a-half a day! How do people cope? :mrgreen:

Miasma!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:57 am 

How not to rob a bank...

Funeral for man entombed for 27 years in chimney
By MARY FOSTER, Associated Press – 5 days ago
ABBEVILLE, La. (AP) — The narrow, brick chimney of a Louisiana bank became his tomb for 27 years and now Joseph Schexnider will be laid to rest Sunday in a proper grave with a proper farewell by his family. Still, his brother Robert wonders, how did he wind up in that chimney? Didn't anyone hear any cries for help? Was it a robbery attempt gone awry, an accident or something more sinister?

"At least we know where he is now," Schexnider, 48, said, tears welling in his eyes ahead of his brother's weekend funeral and burial. "At least he's home."

Nearly three decades after he disappeared, much mystery lingers about the case of Joseph Schexnider and involving a small town bank in the southern Louisiana city of Abbeville. Police say Schexnider became trapped and apparently died in the bank's chimney in 1984. But beyond that, they know little more.

"Everybody has an opinion," said Lt. David Hardy, chief of investigations for the Abbeville Police Department. "But no one has evidence to say one way or another."

If Joseph Schexnider did cry out for help, no one heard his pleas. The stench of death was never detected.

The decades rolled on until last May when a construction worker helping turn the bank's vacant second floor into offices tugged some fabric out of the chimney and was showered with old clothes and human bones.

Described as sweet-natured and relaxed by the few who remember him, Joseph Schexnider was 22 when his family last saw him in January 1984. He had no criminal record, but was wanted for possessing a stolen car.

A lanky, rambling man, Schexnider was prone to wandering at an early age.

In the years after they last saw them, his family, his mother, and two brothers and a sister, had not reported him missing — and no one searched for him.

"My mother worried about him, but I just said, 'Mom, that's just Joseph being Joseph,'" Robert Schexnider said. "He was always taking off for somewhere."

Joseph first ran off around the age of 9 or 10, Robert recalled, adding his brother had dropped out of high school in the ninth grade.

He worked now and then at this and that, quitting jobs when he became tired and moving on. He was briefly in the Louisiana National Guard, leaving with a medical discharge. One of the few pictures of him shows him in uniform, his dark eyes looking off into the distance.

"He was always going off somewhere," Robert Schexnider said. "He told me he'd seen every state in the country."

Schexnider followed carnivals and once traveled with a circus. He told his brother he hawked cotton candy and peanuts with the shows, traveling with the circus to New York where he was stranded when it left to go overseas.

"He didn't have enough money to get home, so the church helped him out," recalled Francis Plaisance, a city councilman and the pastor of the church the Schexniders attended. "I remember him as being a nice kid."

Plaisance also remembers Joseph as a somewhat simple person. When the church sent a plane ticket to New York for him to come home, Schexnider was unable to navigate the airport.

"We ended up having a pastor up there walking him through it and put him on the plane," Plaisance said.

Jason Hebert, now a detective with Abbeville Police, went to elementary school with Joseph Schexnider. He described him as quiet kid, on the fringe of a group of young boys that made mischief in the town.

"He was just another kid," Hebert said. "Nothing really stood out about him."

With the remains found in the chimney were a yellow long-sleeve shirt, a pair of jeans, blue tennis shoes, and jockey shorts with Schexnider's name printed in the waistband. There also was a magazine and gloves.

He had a wallet with a copy of his birth certificate, a Social Security card and a few pictures.

"There was no sign of foul play," Hardy said. But, he said, there is no way to determine the cause of death.

A DNA test confirmed his identity.

From the way the skeleton was recovered, Hardy said it appeared Schexnider went into the 14-inch-by-14-inch chimney feet first. Because the chimney narrowed sharply at the bottom, he then was apparently unable to maneuver his way back out.

There was no way out at the bottom of the chute, which ended in a 3-inch opening to a narrow fireplace on the second floor of the bank building.

"He was stuck with nowhere to go," Hardy said. If he had called for help — Hardy points out — he would have been 20 feet above the street, and encased in bricks.

"His voice would have been carried up and away from the street," Hardy added.

None of the people working on the floor below reported any strange sounds. No one ever went into the seldom-used second floor and reported any strange smells.

Abbeville is home to 12,000 people. Its picturesque downtown is a collection of late 19th-century one- and two-story buildings that have been carefully restored. The flat rooftops are well known to the town children. The two-story brick Abbeville Bank stands on a corner, its roof offering a view across the courthouse and beyond.

Access to the one- and two-story roofs was always an easy climb, Hebert said. He scampered on them as a kid; now as a police officer, he's chased children off the rooftops.

"We played up there a lot," Hebert said. "But I don't remember anyone ever going around the chimneys."

The chimneys on the downtown roofs were capped in 1987, but Schexnider went unnoticed.

His brother won't guess why Joseph went into the chimney, but acknowledged in his final days in town that Joseph had gotten in "with a bad crowd." He was carrying no burglary tools when found or anything to carry away money if he had planned to rob the bank.

Plaisance said he could see it as a misconceived burglary plan on Schexnider's part, however.

"He was the kind of guy who would do things without really thinking them through," Plaisance said.

After so many decades and so few clues, Abbeville Police have declared the case closed.

Copyright © 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:46 am 

There have been a large amount of these Santa attempts at burglaries that have been fatal. In one particular instance in, I think 2002, one fell in the gap of a cavity wall in Amsterdam. He wasn't found until the owners of the house returned home from their vacacion a week later. Half the house had to be broken down to free him.

It was in 2003, on the Nieuwe Nieuwstraat.

Last edited by BBP on Sun May 06, 2012 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:30 am 

Thursday evening, 16 staff members of a school in Eindhoven grew ill at a study meeting. The meeting started with a meal. Shortly after that, the patients grew dizzy and nauseous. Initially ambulance personnel believed there might have been carbon monoxide poisoning, but the fire brigade didn't find any. So on Friday, lessons at the school were resumed: 14 patients were already teaching again and the other two would have that day off anyway. The cause of the illness was found:
The urine samples of the 16 all contained traces of cannabis. It is still not known how it got there, but I'll keep you posted.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:53 am 

Only in Sweden...

Drunk Swedish elk found in apple tree near Gothenburg

A homeowner in southern Sweden got a shock when he found a drunken elk stuck in his neighbour's apple tree.

The moose was apparently on the hunt for fermenting apples when she lost her balance and became trapped in the tree.

Per Johansson, from Saro near Gothenburg, found the elk making a roaring noise in the garden next door.

He called the emergency services, who helped him free the boozed-up beast by sawing off branches. She spent the night recovering in the garden.

The next day she took herself off into the woods with her hangover.

Drunken elk are not an uncommon sight in Sweden during autumn, when there are plenty of apples about.

Other residents of Saro had seen the elk on the loose in the preceding days.

Mr Johansson said the elk appeared to be sick, drunk, or "half-stupid", the Associated Press reported.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14842999

Post subject: Re: swedish elk news
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:48 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Only in Sweden...
Drunk Swedish elk found in apple tree near Gothenburg
yeah. I saw this today.
funny. and, sure, it happens a lot around this time of year in sweden. elks getting drunk on apples. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:16 pm 

In Nizyni Novgorod, a 45-year-old male was arrested. He lived together with 26 female corpses. He had dug up the mummified corpses from cemeteries and dressed them, and put make-up on them. He was caught when his parents came to visit him.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:21 am 

Last October, a morgue in Haarlem mixed up two corpses. One was a Brit, the other Dutch. Normally there is a double check to see if the data on the coffin labels matches the individuals, but they forgot just once and sent the Dutchman to the UK. There they had a double check and discovered the error; the Brit had already been buried and had to be exhumed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:09 am 

A shoplifter has been caught in Nijmegen. He had removed the security tags from the clothes he wanted to steal, but instead of throwing them away, he put them in his pocket.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:04 am 

WASHINGTON -- WRC-TV/NBC4 brings news of Danny White, a D.C. resident whose vanity license plates got him some $20,000 in parking tickets.

White's plates read “NO-TAGS.” 25 years ago, when White got the plates, he thought that “NO-TAGS” would be funny. Now?

“I’ve got enough tickets here to plaster my whole car.” Three hundred dollars, $500, $700 for overdue tickets. Because if the city finds an abandoned vehicle or a car missing its plates, guess who gets it? Danny White. “It had to be $20,000 in tickets. Over $20,000.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/1 ... 82486.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:58 am 

Lockerbie koi carp 'theft' blamed on...

...otter

Police have withdrawn an appeal for information over an ornamental fish theft from a pond - after discovering an otter was probably to blame.

Dumfries and Galloway Constabulary was investigating the incident in the village of Heck near Lockerbie some time between 26 March and 15 April.

A total of 40 koi carp with an estimated value of £2,000 were missing.

They were reported stolen but inquiries have shown they were "taken by an animal, probably an otter".

:P

"As such, no crime has been committed," said a police spokesman.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:02 pm 

I heard they did frisk and cuff it for a little while.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:06 am 

Olympics Organizers Ask Keith Moon to Play Closing Ceremony

Organizers of the London Olympics approached the Who's manager to inquire about having Keith Moon play at an Olympics event despite the drummer being dead for nearly 34 years, the Sunday Times reports.

"I emailed back saying Keith now resides in Golders Green crematorium, having lived up to the Who's anthemic line 'I hope I die before I get old'," the band's longtime manager, Bill Curbishley, told the Times. "If they have a round table, some glasses and candles, we might contact him."

Moon died in 1978 at the age of 32 from an an accidental overdose of prescription pills. The Olympics organizers wanted the late drummer to take part in the Symphony of Rock, a celebration of British pop culture that will be part of the Games' closing ceremony on August 12th.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/olympics-organizers-ask-keith-moon-to-play-closing-ceremony-20120413

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:12 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
WASHINGTON -- WRC-TV/NBC4 brings news of Danny White, a D.C. resident whose vanity license plates got him some $20,000 in parking tickets.

White's plates read “NO-TAGS.” 25 years ago, when White got the plates, he thought that “NO-TAGS” would be funny. Now?

“I’ve got enough tickets here to plaster my whole car.” Three hundred dollars, $500, $700 for overdue tickets. Because if the city finds an abandoned vehicle or a car missing its plates, guess who gets it? Danny White. “It had to be $20,000 in tickets. Over $20,000.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/1 ... 82486.html

In NZ the police use a radio code: no voi = no vehicle of interest. A friend of mine decided back in the 90's that novoi would make a great personalised number plate for his motorcycle, unfortunatley the police stopped him constantly, and once stopped he would be searched and the stop and search would be recorded on thier computer. Nowdays thanks to this computer profile whenever his name is queried, it looks as though he is an extreamly suspicous person, and is treated as such, inevitably leading to a trip to the police station for further enquiries. Dispite having no criminal record, they always assume a guy thats been stopped and searched so many times must have been up to no good, just hadn't been caught "theres no smoke without fire sir"

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:28 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Olympics Organizers Ask Keith Moon to Play Closing Ceremony

Organizers of the London Olympics approached the Who's manager to inquire about having Keith Moon play at an Olympics event despite the drummer being dead for nearly 34 years, the Sunday Times reports.

"I emailed back saying Keith now resides in Golders Green crematorium, having lived up to the Who's anthemic line 'I hope I die before I get old'," the band's longtime manager, Bill Curbishley, told the Times. "If they have a round table, some glasses and candles, we might contact him."

Moon died in 1978 at the age of 32 from an an accidental overdose of prescription pills. The Olympics organizers wanted the late drummer to take part in the Symphony of Rock, a celebration of British pop culture that will be part of the Games' closing ceremony on August 12th.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/olympics-organizers-ask-keith-moon-to-play-closing-ceremony-20120413

Not to be out-done, the Pan American games have sent a formal letter to Peter Grant asking if John Bonham can lend his world class drumming and star power to their opening ceremonies. "We haven't heard a thing back yet" say games organizers.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:06 pm 

Russian man jumps in chute to escape girlfriend

A man in central Russia had to be rescued by emergency workers from a rubbish chute after he jumped into it to hide from his girlfriend.

He plunged three floors from the eighth floor of an apartment building in Tyumen, Siberia, before getting stuck. Residents then heard the 31-year-old man's cries for help.

Rescue workers had to use tools to cut him free. He was not seriously hurt.

He had had a row with his girlfriend, officials said, without elaborating.

Soviet-era buildings in Russia frequently have a metal rubbish chute in the stairwell, with a latch opening on each floor.

Tyumen emergency service officials contacted by the BBC said the incident happened late on Wednesday, but the man is already back at work.

"According to the 31-year-old victim, he jumped into the metal chute on the eighth floor to escape his girlfriend," a statement on the service's website said.

The officials said there had been a similar incident in Tyumen a few years ago, again with a happy outcome.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18100847

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:27 am 

Yeah, drugs were involved, but still.....weird.

MIAMI (WSVN) -- Disturbing new details and surveillance video have been released in the fatal police involved shooting off a causeway that involved naked men and cannibalism.

While Larry Vega rode his bicycle off the MacArthur Causeway on Saturday afternoon, he witnessed something that can only be described as savage: a naked man chewed off the face of another naked man. "And the guy was like tearing him to pieces with his mouth, so I told him, 'Get off!'" he said. "You know it's like the guy just kept eating the other guy away like ripping his skin."

Upon witnessing what he describes as a scene out of a horror movie, Vega managed to flag down a Miami Police officer. "Police officer came over, told him several times to get off and a police officer climbed over the divider and got in front of him and said, 'Get off!' And told him several times and the guy just stood his head up like that with a piece of flesh in his mouth and growled," said Vega.

When the attack continued, Vega says the officer fired but the man continued to chew flesh off the victim, who is homeless. The officer fired several more times, eventually killing the attacker.

A Miami Herald surveillance camera caught the aftermath as the two men laid side by side on the ground. "It was just a blob of blood," said Vega. "You couldn't really see, it was just blood all over the place."

Rescue crews rushed the victim to Jackson Memorial Hospital with 75% of his face missing.

Police say the attacker was likely overdosing on a new potent form of LSD. "What's happening is whenever we see that a person has taken all of his clothes off and has become violent, it’s indicative of this excited delirium that's caused by overdose of drugs,” said Armando Aguilar of the Miami Fraternal Order of Police. “What's happening is inside their body their organs are burning up alive.”

Authorities have not released the identity of either man.

Now, Vega says he cannot shake the image he expected to see on the big screen and never on the streets of Miami. "Pretty gruesome that's for sure. One of the most gruesome things I have ever seen in my life in person," he said. "You know, you see these things in the movies but when you see it in person, it's pretty traumatic."

The victim remains in critical condition. Sources tell 7News the injuries the victim sustained are some of the worst injuries they have ever seen.

Read more: http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local ... z1wAt00f2m

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:50 am 

When Hell is full, the dead shall walk the earth.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:57 am 

just plain doug wrote:
When Hell is full, the dead shall walk the earth.

And vote republican.

Miasma!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:57 am 

Oh Frank that's horrible...

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:34 am 

I don't think I'll be scheduling any face time in the near future.I wonder if he "liked him" first on Facebook before eating him. :shock:
Of course it had to be drugs,they gotta keep you scared and drugs illegal,d'oh! :evil:

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:00 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
One of the most gruesome things I have ever seen in my life in person," he said.

What has he seen that was more gruesome?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:55 am 

Caputh wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
One of the most gruesome things I have ever seen in my life in person," he said.

What has he seen that was more gruesome?

His wife?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:52 pm 

You've never met the lady Doug. She may be a looker!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 519 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next