Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Kapt. Kiirk Walk About
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:01 am 

If you have noticed the Good Kapt. missing from the forum the past few days, the true Hippie he is, he packed up and decided to trip around the California Coast. He called me from Pescadero State Beach where he was taking in a wonderful sunset, the planned to camp in the forest on the other side of coast highway, he intended to watch the Eclipse from the beach. He had gone to a Giants game, for free off course, those Hippies still know how to work the system. He caught up with some old friends and did a little tour down memory lane where he grew up. The last I heard he was trying to decide between North Coast and Central Coast, I should hear more from him today or tomorrow, I will let you all know what adventures the good Kapt. has found.

:smoke:

Last edited by Plook on Tue May 22, 2012 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:15 am 

I hope he doesn't intend to walk the whole way in true pyschedelic fashion. Is hitch hiking a thing of the past in the US now as well?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:26 am 

Caputh wrote:
I hope he doesn't intend to walk the whole way in true pyschedelic fashion. Is hitch hiking a thing of the past in the US now as well?

Hitch Hikings ok if you don't mind ending up in a news story about serial killers...he actually has a vehical but the Walk About thing I think more encompasses the mind expanding goal of the trip, if you know what I mean...

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:28 am 

Good to hear. I hope he'll be safe and have a good trip!

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:54 am 

The search for Spock continues.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:24 pm 

And as the sun sinks into the westward ocean,
and the evening wind dances with the dust and debris in the wake of a southbound transport,
the trees up on the hill echo the scream that emanates from down at the waters' edge;
shivering the roosting birds from their branches...
KHAAAAN!!!

Happy trails Kaptain!

Miasma!

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:38 pm 

Hey he went to San Francisco first...isn't that where Starfleet Command is located?... :shock:

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:29 pm 

Now that sounds like a real road "trip"

green with envy, in the north island of NZ 12 hours end to end and you run out of island.....about 12 hours end to end in the south island also...however if you do it with the girls it can add days, even weeks to your journey....
(the girls are more fun on state highway one)

"Am I a fan, or a so-called fan?"

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:21 am 

He's back, hed to make an early return after his Solar Eclipse extravaganza... :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:29 am 

Damn, I didn't even have time to miss him.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:17 pm 

Kirk here,
I was on a drive about,I'm too smart to walk or hitchhike around the Santa Cruz Mts..People "disappear" up there all the time.Growing up this was my backyard,I used to ride mini-bikes over to San Gregorio State Beach or Pescadero from Los Altos.It's about 20 miles as the crow fly's and about 60 miles driving.Alot of one lane roads,with panoramic veiws of the beach/ocean and the redwoods all around you.Beautiful slow mt. roads where every turn brings a whole new vista!
I camped inland under the redwoods,and went to the beach during the day.On the day of the eclipse,the fog bank stayed off shore until right at the end.You could look down from the bluff I was on and look at the ocean breakers and look up a little and the fog acted as a filter so you could look right at the eclipse.What a wonderful sight to behold! It did bum out some of the folks with all this special equipment for pictures,but they said this was the best eclipse they had ever seen anyway!
I got in late last night and didn't see this thread,in fact I'd still be gone but I scored on a throw rug 10X12 for 35$ and then an organtic food farm took some more.Hell,I even won $60 bucks playin' p o k e r outside with the locals Fri. when they got payed! (candy from a baby) But if you travel the coast,it's the gas prices that cuts the trek short! 5 bucks a gallon! I did go to the Lower Haight and found a cannibus club called The Vapor Room.SF has a healthy attitude about smoking pot,free Vaporizers so there's no smoke.(a better high imo) The price was a little high for me,as I get it about 20 dollors less out in Sacramento.I slept for 16 hrs. when I got back,so I know I had a great time!
More about the whales,the bar,the beach,and of course the trek.
Gotta go now,
Kiirk out.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:32 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Kirk here,
I was on a drive about,I'm too smart to walk or hitchhike around the Santa Cruz Mts..People "disappear" up there all the time.Growing up this was my backyard,I used to ride mini-bikes over to San Gregorio State Beach or Pescadero from Los Altos.It's about 20 miles as the crow fly's and about 60 miles driving.Alot of one lane roads,with panoramic veiws of the beach/ocean and the redwoods all around you.Beautiful slow mt. roads where every turn brings a whole new vista!
I camped inland under the redwoods,and went to the beach during the day.On the day of the eclipse,the fog bank stayed off shore until right at the end.You could look down from the bluff I was on and look at the ocean breakers and look up a little and the fog acted as a filter so you could look right at the eclipse.What a wonderful sight to behold! It did bum out some of the folks with all this special equipment for pictures,but they said this was the best eclipse they had ever seen anyway!
I got in late last night and didn't see this thread,in fact I'd still be gone but I scored on a throw rug 10X12 for 35$ and then an organtic food farm took some more.Hell,I even won $60 bucks playin' p o k e r outside with the locals Fri. when they got payed! (candy from a baby) But if you travel the coast,it's the gas prices that cuts the trek short! 5 bucks a gallon! I did go to the Lower Haight and found a cannibus club called The Vapor Room.SF has a healthy attitude about smoking pot,free Vaporizers so there's no smoke.(a better high imo) The price was a little high for me,as I get it about 20 dollors less out in Sacramento.I slept for 16 hrs. when I got back,so I know I had a great time!
Gotta go now,
Kiirk out.

Kirky,
Over here, 5 bucks to the gallon is next to nothing.
Price in Neth: 162 €cents/litre, is $2,05 per litre, is $7,75925 per gallon.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:39 pm 

The funny part is, and I apologize Kapt but this is too rich not to share, his legs were sore from walking in the sand...on a walk about...LOL... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:02 pm 

BBP wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Kirk here,
Gotta go now,
Kiirk out.

Kirky,

NZ$2.23 per litre NZ$10.03 per gallon which has garaged my 3.2 litre V6 until further notice, I'm now commuting in an 1000cc corolla, I predict a bicycle in my future.......road trips are out.

"Am I a fan, or a so-called fan?"

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:39 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
BBP wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Kirk here,
I got in late last night and didn't see this thread,in fact I'd still be gone but I scored on a throw rug 10X12 for 35$ and then an organtic food farm took some more.Hell,I even won $60 bucks playin' p o k e r outside with the locals Fri. when they got payed! (candy from a baby) But if you travel the coast,it's the gas prices that cuts the trek short! 5 bucks a gallon! I did go to the Lower Haight and found a cannibus club called The Vapor Room.SF has a healthy attitude about smoking pot,free Vaporizers so there's no smoke.(a better high imo) The price was a little high for me,as I get it about 20 dollars less out in Sacramento.I slept for 16 hrs. when I got back,so I know I had a great time!
Gotta go now,
Kiirk out.

Kirky,

NZ$2.23 per litre NZ$10.03 per gallon which has garaged my 3.2 litre V6 until further notice, I'm now commuting in an 1000cc corolla, I predict a bicycle in my future.......road trips are out.

I knew I'd here about the gas prices.I was driving a`90 Jeep Cherokee (my camper SUV haha) that I had just tuned up.I went 360 miles on one tank.1 tank full is around $80-$90 dollars.I filled it twice.So I left with hopes of staying until the friday before Memorial wknd.The gas and food prices on the coast are really high because of the remoteness of the area.I gassed up before I went but when I needed gas to leave it really hurt the old wallet to the tune of $129.54 to fill up.That and more food.They have cold sandwich delis all over. (they don't let you have a friggin fire on the friggin beach between Santa Cruz and SF,unless you pay $40 + bucks to camp) I had my own homemade burritos and hot dogs,bread,condements,fresh fruit,organtic vegetables,ect.,but I wanted some sea food and being so close the only real deal was mussels.So,that was ok for the first two nights,but I had to have something more than Vegees and Mussels at night and burrito's for lunch,so I checked out some of the local menus in La Handa,Pescadero,and San Gregorio.Jesus tits! I should have brought more food,set up a road side stand with a micowave and I'd of made a killing! A basic chicken fried steak started at $50 bucks! Sea food was more....I was at the friggin' sea! Thats hard to figure.So,I headed to SF where on The Great Highway you can actually cook food!
I had a couple of Hot dogs and headed down Lincoln through the Haight Ashbury and down to the lower Haight to a coolplace called The Vaper Room.Surreal place to say the least.Within 5 minutes of arrival,I was smoking happily :smoke: and got a back and leg (damn sand) massage.Now thats service with some very tasty muchies too,all for $50 bucks(include an 8th).Thats my town! BTW,On the way down I had stopped and watched the Giants (baseball) game for free.They let you watch for 20-30 minutes then move you along.I got to talking with one of the security guys and before he knew it I was helping him "move people along" and stayed there,with his permission,and watched the game.It helps to be a native of SF! I left in the 8th,as the Giants were on there way to a win! That was friday.
...So after I left The Vapor Room the next Monday,I headed up by Santa Rosa and then cut back towards Clear Lake and then on to Lake Berryessa,were I spent a fabuluos night,under the stars,cooking whatever I friggin wanted with no worries! So all in all it was only a Thursday to Tuesday kinda trek,it did set me back around 350-4 bills.Not bad for being so close to silicon valley.I think I'll go to the north coast above SF,and bring a microwave with extra food,next time! I'd like to sea kayak out of Bodega or Tomales Bays and I have a half off coupon too! 8)

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:49 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Kirk here,
I was on a drive about,I'm too smart to walk or hitchhike around the Santa Cruz Mts..

I feel sorry for young people today. In my flaming youth I travelled Europe by hitchhiking for next to nothing - now you don't see anybody hitchhiking here either. :cry:

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:54 am 

Oh, I wouldn't say that. My ef-bf-now-friend-with-privileges is mordicus against owning a car and always hitchhiked on his travels, he's been pretty much all over Europe just by hiking. The Portuguese guy who was flirting me also travelled by thumb.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:17 am 

Well, in Germany you hardly see any at all (in comparison to my flaming youth). I even used to have a hitchhiker's book which told you where to hitch the best lifts from.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:12 am 

I hitch hiked for the first time in over 20 years last summer when I ran my bike out of gas on the 401. I didn't have much choice but to walk the 6km back to the gas station I'd blown past a few minutes earlier but, when I headed back to my bike with a shiny red gas can I was picked up as soon as I got to the end of the service station off ramp. I was impressed, although I realised that the gas can was a beneficial accesory in more ways than one. By a similar token, when I was younger I used to try to carry a 6-pack along; beer seems to be a near universal translator, plus it provided some refreshment if the rides were being scarce.

I quit thumbing back then after a particularly nasty trek from Markham to Richmond Hill on a blistering hot Saturday where not one of the thousands of cars that passed me even swerved or threw stuff at me. It wasn't until I got to my destination and poured a bottle of aloe vera gel on my angry red skin that the clerk at the drug store happened to mention the very recent murders on nearby highway 400 by a hitchhiker still at large.
Before that I used to hitchhike almost every day to work and back... :(

Miasma!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:19 pm 

More hitchhikers are killed by the people that pick them up than the other way around by about 10 to 1.It's the media and our society trying to keep the masses scared to do anything unless it's approved safe.(by who is any ones guess) We are headed for a police state.Everywhere I went recently there were signs telling the populous to turn in other citizens for speeding,drinking,anyone acting "suspicious" or there where other less neferious signs like Neighborhood Watch,This Area Privately Patroled,and of course Keep Out Tresspassers Will Be Shot.We are being asked to turn in our neighbors for slight transgressions such as growing pot,(it's legal yet it's the #2 911 call) having a beer and leaving a bar,park,ect.,we are encouaged to be real Americans and turn those people in.(the #1 911 call) You are also eligible for a reward. :roll:
The fucking Military Complex is seeping into our police force as well as our society as we hire ex-Marines,Army,ect.to police us,after they've been on 2-4 tours in a war zone.You gotta be kidding me! That's fucking ludicris! That's a paranoid public in the making,and alot more Zimmerman/Travon Martin cases are on the way.Not to mention all the cops shooting unarmed people just because they didn't "freeze" fast enough! Legalize drugs,take the money and demand out of them and we won't need so many uber cops and over zeolous citizens.imo.It's working in Porgugal!
If you have to hitchhike,do it with pazazz,smile kindly,and carry a concealed weapon! If your blessed with a sixth sense,use it! It's better to turn down a ride and live than to go against your gut feeling for your last ride.I know,the speedfreak killers offered me a ride in Angels Camp CA..I asked them how far they were going up the hill.They said Lake Tahoe.I said the pass is closed,you can't get there from here.The driver said "hurry up get in" as the other guy held the seat up for me.That did it,I said I'd wait for someone who knew where they were going.They spun gravel all over me.At least I'm not down a well in Linden,CA.! Now because of people like that,only the longhair/Zappafreaks like me/us stop and offer assistance.It scares the hell outta the straights,but helps to change their minds about judging people.I keep trying to slay those dragons,I must be hard wired that way as Plook would say.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:04 pm 

Gee,it's hard to hold anyones attention for long nowadays.I was gonna tell everyone about a very nice couple of ladies I met at an au naturual beach and hope to see again soon!

Notice to reader:

This thread is closed due to lack of interest.... :P

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:25 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Gee,it's hard to hold anyones attention for long nowadays.I was gonna tell everyone about a very nice couple of ladies I met at an au naturual beach and hope to see again soon!

Notice to reader:

I'm listening... :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:30 pm 

Plook wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

Notice to reader:

I'm listening... :smoke:

I thought that might grab someones attention! Maybe a few more? Hmm?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:35 pm 

To be honest, I was expecting stories of alien conquests. Or are you a different Kapt. Kiirk? :mrgreen:

What's it gonna be? A thousand words or a picture? :P

Miasma!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:38 am 

Sam I Am wrote:
To be honest, I was expecting stories of alien conquests. Or are you a different Kapt. Kiirk? :mrgreen:

What's it gonna be? A thousand words or a picture? :P

Hey there was an astronomical event involved.... :smoke: