Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:07 am 

Plook wrote:
cleon wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g9AuCG24NY
Tredegar - "Parents"
This is favourite so far even a bit like FZ fur trapper style :wink:

Heres some classic Budgie at their best...

http://youtu.be/54H3EUAzpVg

Napoleon Buonaparts 1 and 2 ... i smore like my taste! It was one of the main reasons why I never got into Rush and actually thought that Rush was ... and still is ... over rated! They are very good in concert, though, and one has to give them credit for doing it, and doint it right, which many bands do not do.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:51 am 

Hi,

In general, I do not like to rate guitarists, but I do not think that most of these "popular" band guitarists were ever as good as some out of Germany that took music teaching and learning by storm, and pretty much told all Westernized ideas and concepts of song writing (specially!) and most music ... and blew them out of the water.

But it's hard, because I'm not sure most folks here have heard Michael Karoli (and the piece that the one band from LA did when he passed away), from this early days, and Mother Sky ... a total rip, in the days that the only other person that came close was John McLaughlin, and then went on to do some insanely amazing things in Ege Bamyasi, Future Days and Soon Over Babbalooma.

Another that stands out is Amon Duul 2's John Weinzierl, when you listen to Yeti, or Wolf City, or Vive La Trance ... and this band was 100% completely anti-commercial and they made a point of giving everyone the finger.

Lastly, one of the unsung guitar based groups ... Guru Guru ... has more guitarists than you can shake a hand with, and the likes of Ax Gernreich is insane and one of the people that helped define the total experimental trips that this band did. When you listen to Kanguru Guru, the first thought that you come up with is ... I bet this is what Jimi Hendrix really wanted to do, and couldn't.

If that's not enough, the likes of Manuel Gottsching has gone so far as to solo for 30 minutes with Klaus Schulze and there is no rock guitarist that has the guts to try that out there, and create something so different and enourmous out there.

So, all in all, as I said before, I tend to look at a lot of rock guitarists as not worth the hassle or the listen ... it's just pop music! Or as Derek Trucks just said on a Musicians Friend interview ... it's sugarded up crap!

There is a lot of different stuff out there. I don't think that any stuff on the English/American scene is any inferior ... it's different ... but it makes it very difficult to compare things. And my appreciation for Frank's guitar playing, is mostly because what he did with the guitar in his music, is much more on par with what these folks I mentioned do with their guitars than most rock band afficionados out there. Or radio-hit (right ... I believe it!) afficionados.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:42 am 

George Harrison

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:43 am 

George Harrison

George Harrison

George Harrison

George Harrison

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:44 am 

George Harrison

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:44 am 

George Harrison

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:45 am 

George Harrison

George Harrison

George Harrison

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:48 am 

sabrinaIII wrote:
Dwayne Eddy?

I think you mean Duane Eddy.

By the way......

George Harrison!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:38 pm 

massagio wrote:
George Harrison

Do you mean George Harrison?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:45 pm 

Harrison played a role in a band and played within himself.

I really laugh when I read how Hendrix is marginalized. I read all these pages of suggestions many of which were designed to highlight players who couldn't define a style, but were obscure. Things were looser in the '60s and you could get heard if you were good. Maybe some players remained obscure because they sucked.

Clapton, Hendrix and Beck moved the bar forward. They updated the tradition of pre- and postwar blues. Was Willie Dixon a good bass player?

If people on this forum who weren't even alive when Jimi made his mark want to compare flamenco guitarists to blues players, maybe you ought to live long enough to understand something about music.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:39 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
massagio wrote:
George Harrison

No, i mean George Harrison.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:49 pm 

massagio wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
massagio wrote:
George Harrison

No, i mean George Harrison.

Oh! That George Harrison....never heard of him.(brudum bum-rim shot) :wink:

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:15 pm 

Fuck, leave the dead guy alone, he did a great job with the role he was dealt, thats more than most can say... :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:46 pm 

Plook wrote:
Fuck, leave the dead guy alone, he did a great job with the role he was dealt, thats more than most can say... :smoke:

We are not dissing on George Harrison.If you scroll up the page you can see Massagio trible-double posts George Harrison.We were having fun kidding each other.Something I've noticed you do lately is jump to conclusions,when if you read back you'd understand.You've done this often lately! Everything OK at home and work? You seem distracted.If that was an attempt at a joke,it ain't workin' bro'.If I'm somehow way off base,you know I care and wouldn't embarass or insult you on purpose.
Now we Dance! :wink: 8)

Kim Simmons.After Savoy Brown I never heard doodly squat from him.Anyone know what happened to this much ballyhood young guitarist?

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:12 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Plook wrote:

We are not dissing on George Harrison.If you scroll up the page you can see Massagio trible-double posts George Harrison.We were having fun kidding each other.Something I've noticed you do lately is jump to conclusions,when if you read back you'd understand.You've done this often lately! Everything OK at home and work? You seem distracted.If that was an attempt at a joke,it ain't workin' bro'.If I'm somehow way off base,you know I care and wouldn't embarass or insult you on purpose.

Kim Simmons.After Savoy Brown I never heard doodly squat from him.Anyone know what happened to this much ballyhood young guitarist?

I don't even have the energy to bother with explaining this to you, sa la vie... :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:36 pm 

Plook wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Plook wrote:

I don't even have the energy to bother with explaining this to you, sa la vie... :smoke:

La vie.
Check out guitar George,he knows all the cords. :) Stay thirsty my friend and when you think,think kink and over 21!

(sounds like they got you working hard down there Plook,hope you can get some rest bro') :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:25 am 

Went to the beach this morning, feel great!... :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:32 am 

Plook wrote:
Went to the beach this morning, feel great!... :smoke:

I've never heard of him (her?)
However if you're describing your activities, I'm very happy for you :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:11 am 

Plook wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Plook wrote:

Check out his web site, he is also on twitter, and facebook, lately all he plays is acoustic blues, and is varey good, just released a new cd. He is also touring this summer with a blues tour including, jonny ,edger, rick derringer and others.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:36 pm 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

Check out his web site, he is also on twitter, and facebook, lately all he plays is acoustic blues, and is varey good, just released a new cd. He is also touring this summer with a blues tour including, jonny ,edger, rick derringer and others.

I did,Thanx BS.That's one show I'm not gonna miss! 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next