Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:26 am 

Just curious... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:58 am 

Do you mean as (Dweezil) Zappa Plays Zappa or his early solo career or with his band Z?

For ZPZ I think the only times when a band played before them have been in a Festival setting or when they were not headling themselves (ie they were on a bill w/ Les Claypool a couple years ago and I think there was a third act that played before ZPZ). ZPZ plays such a long set (thankfully) that it's pointless to have somebody open for them.

As for his early career (solo and Z) I would guess that they probably had some opening acts (not very well known I would imagine) even though they probably weren't playing very large venues - mostly clubs.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:18 pm 

Didn't Lisa Loeb open for Dweezil.....rim shot. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:41 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:That's the funniest post I've seen in a while Kapt. You've still got it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:19 pm 

KillUgly's Paradise wrote:
Do you mean as (Dweezil) Zappa Plays Zappa or his early solo career or with his band Z?

For ZPZ I think the only times when a band played before them have been in a Festival setting or when they were not headling themselves (ie they were on a bill w/ Les Claypool a couple years ago and I think there was a third act that played before ZPZ). ZPZ plays such a long set (thankfully) that it's pointless to have somebody open for them.

As for his early career (solo and Z) I would guess that they probably had some opening acts (not very well known I would imagine) even though they probably weren't playing very large venues - mostly clubs.

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Didn't Lisa Loeb open up for Dweezil.....rim shot. :mrgreen:
KillUgly wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:That's the funniest post I've seen in a while Kapt. You've still got it.

I must be losing my appeal.That or I'm a ZFT lawyer......badum-dum. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:25 pm 

No we only lost KU, I need to give that chap a call... :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:01 pm 

Plook wrote:

Ya,I miss KillUgly's imput too.Plus he was one of the nicest,polite guys on here.A real classy guy too,imho!

I still wonder what made unica leave suddenly? A ZFT C & D would do it.Those Nederlanders can be touchy.Something like that would have been a very big and hurtful insult to P/B.I hope the're both happy and in good health.Miss them though! :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:43 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Plook wrote:

Ya,I miss KillUgly's imput too.Plus he was one of the nicest,polite guys on here.A real classy guy too,imho!

I still wonder what made unica leave suddenly? A ZFT C & D would do it.Those Nederlanders can be touchy.Something like that would have been a very big and hurtful insult to P/B.I hope the're both happy and in good health.Miss them though! :cry:

+1... :smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:56 am 

Times are tough in Holland, unemployment is way up, foodbanks are enduring a 15 to 20% rise in demand each week....the devide between the haves and the have nots is growing day by day. Unfortunatly this situation is not exclusive to the Nederlands alone, no doubt a few of our forum are being effected by thier local economy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:22 am 

I miss Unica too. He told me it was the behaviour of certain forum members that made him go away. He's been hardly active for years, doing little but posting his memorabilia, and a handful still managed to cross his line, not content with whatever he was posting. If ZPZ comes back, I'll go and tell him hi from you.

And yeah, I'm having problems with the situation Wilders left us: among others he managed to make sure people who take longer than the standard time for their study, are fined E 3000 per year: that's about twice the college contribution and it's a fine in a high category. If I don't finish my thesis now (which has been hanging due to clinical depression), I'm going to have to pay up. Of course, with musicology, I'll never be able to pay that kind of money, ever. I won't be rid of my college debt for another 20 years. Yes, I have a job in the field: which pays a warm meal once every two weeks.

Try to cure from a depression with that in mind.

Sorry, had to vent.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:22 am 

BBP wrote:
I miss Unica too. He told me it was the behaviour of certain forum members that made him go away. He's been hardly active for years, doing little but posting his memorabilia, and a handful still managed to cross his line, not content with whatever he was posting. If ZPZ comes back, I'll go and tell him hi from you.

And yeah, I'm having problems with the situation Wilders left us: among others he managed to make sure people who take longer than the standard time for their study, are fined E 3000 per year: that's about twice the college contribution and it's a fine in a high category. If I don't finish my thesis now (which has been hanging due to clinical depression), I'm going to have to pay up. Of course, with musicology, I'll never be able to pay that kind of money, ever. I won't be rid of my college debt for another 20 years. Yes, I have a job in the field: which pays a warm meal once every two weeks.

Try to cure from a depression with that in mind.

Sorry, had to vent.

No problem BBP vent away....thats what we, here on the virtual maroon sofa, are here for.

I too enjoyed reading Unica's input and seeing his memorabilia, no doubt some of the constant negativity drove him and many other knowledgeable fans away, I viewed this forum for years prior to actually signing up and posting, many of the original members have indeed disappeared a disappointing trend, some who have gone I must admit I don't miss....

In New Zealand our government (voted in largely on their education and employment policies) have broken those promises and changed the rules regarding the repayment of student loans, curbing the ability of graduates to leave the country to earn "the big bucks" (to pay back the loans), and increasing the interest rates on the loans and decreased the term of repayment (no fines though). Severly increasing the cost of tertiary/university education, increasing the student to teacher ratio at the primary, intermediate and college school level....so we now have the students protesting and the teachers protesting. In a nifty move to casualise the work force an employer can now dismiss a staff member within 90 days of the start of a new job, without giving a reason. So you don't want to work limited hours, split shifts, weekends or whatever, your gone. If you are classed as a part time employee you don't get paid overtime, and you have no holiday or superanuation entitlements. At the other end of the age scale they are talking about increasing the retirement age by 4 years...On the whole our politicians are rich, so retirement will be no problem for them. Then to top it off the now largely privatised aged care industry posted a huge profit last year, on the backs of the caregivers who only earn around $1.00 per hour above the minimum wage, perversely the guys that mow the lawns at the "retirement villages" earn around $3.00 more per hour than the nurses, who are leaving to flip burgers, because the money is better??

I have a job, but we are all working in a climate of unemployment fear, better make those sales targets or else etc etc......ooop's now look who's venting.......

Normal service will now resume.............

Telekinesis: concentrate now, what card am I holding up?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:25 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:

I don't know...but, if it moves, I did that!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:59 am 

just plain doug wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:

Who moved my cheese?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:26 am 

FalseDichotomy wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:

Who moved my cheese?

The fickle foils of jpd's danglin' digit? (its still hooked on but now it shoots to quick) :mrgreen:

I can only get part time work anywhere I look it seems like.They keep you under 40 hours a week so they don't have to pay for medical or retirement.I just got turned down for a bartending job.Real hard job,right.(I very rarely drink) I was too old and not a female.Try telling your troubles to a chick bartender,you might as well take out an add! If you've had a row with the wife/girlfriend,a woman barkeep is more likely to take the "womens" side and call the cops on your ass! Barkeeps should have a sympathetic ear,a great joke,a funny antedote,tight lips,and know when to short pour you when you've had too much drink.I've yet to meet the broad that could keep her yap shut after hearing a poor guy's problems.The next day it's all over town! The 'tude in this college town is that if you have a chick bartender,you'll pull in more male customers,who spend more money,buying drinks for women.When I'm the keeper of the spirits,I usually have some friends that play guitar/fiddle/piano and such,that I give them free beer to play and fiddle around.(they don't drink when playing) That brings in more women,men,and adds flavor to the crowd.You're gonna have fun when I bartend.I can double any womans till anywhere,anytime,for no reason at all! Rant over.
I just wish they'd give me a shot at it.But noooo! One another thing,a chick bartender always sez she don't date customers! Buy her a drink and your paying 6 bucks for a straight diet-Coke! What's the point then? Now rant really over!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:26 am 

I knew a guy who was the greatest bartender. He knew every drink, how to make it and what it tasted like. He was the kind of guy anyone could meet and be great friends with in minutes, just like a bartender should be. He would fill in at a Irish bar on holidays when they needed extra staff and was loved by all. So, one day the Irish bar needed a new bartender and he applied. He knew everyone so he thought it was a guarantee. The owner took him in back and told him straight up - "You don't have tits".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:05 am 

You make it sound as if you cannot get a job if you're a guy. When you're a woman it's actually tons worse: once you're 25, employers start seeing you as a ticking timebomb, someone who will get pregnant and will cost the company a lot of money. Getting a decent job when you're over 25 is next to impossible, with exception for some companies with a strong policy on hiring women.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:41 am 

BBP wrote:
You make it sound as if you cannot get a job if you're a guy. When you're a woman it's actually tons worse: once you're 25, employers start seeing you as a ticking timebomb, someone who will get pregnant and will cost the company a lot of money. Getting a decent job when you're over 25 is next to impossible, with exception for some companies with a strong policy on hiring women.

Your right of course,but we were speaking of an old and honord position among us ...ahem,mature male adults.Ya see,a barkeep is also our confesser,our lifes coach and he holds the antidote for all your ill's,specializing in chick troubles.You can talk to him about anything even though you've only known him for a few beers.Our collective sympathetic ear,so to speak! Sorta like women and their hairdresser/beautitions,ya know?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:17 am 

No I don't know. I don't visit hairdressers a lot, last time was in 2000. I love my mermaid hair. Besides I still have nightmares from being forced to listen to Britney Spears while stuck into an uncomfortable chair getting my precious locks trimmed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:42 am 

BBP wrote:
No I don't know. I don't visit hairdressers a lot, last time was in 2000. I love my mermaid hair. Besides I still have nightmares from being forced to listen to Britney Spears while stuck into an uncomfortable chair getting my precious locks trimmed.

Do you get the point of why guys like a bartender of the same species? Face it when your getting drunk infront of a chic you don't want to look stoopid,but with a guy we don't care as much and therefor more open and honest to ourselves and the barkeep.imho {-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:50 am 

I can see why the bartender would be dissappointed, seeing as they looked to him to fill in. Wonder if it was a newer manager---some bars want the "sex appeal" angle, more guys might buy more from a good-looking woman, or ask her what they could do to be more attractive to the opposite sex. This is a strange situation, he probably did'nt want to seem like a complainer, but he had grounds for reverse sexual discrimination---not that he should file suit, but it's too bad the bar was able to do it.

On Unica, I miss him as well, he always had great posts in his memorabilia thread. He maintained throughout, that he did'nt like people making comments there, ruined the look or something. I did see quite a few mentions that went over the line, taste-wise, and maybe that bothered him. Perhaps the last straw was a pic of the Roxy band and folks commenting on what was in Tom Fowler's crotch or whatnot. Even I thought some were a little silly, and not in a good way. I, like BBP, am finished venting. Rather off-topic, but there you are.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:07 am 

How about Hooters

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:32 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
How about Hooters

I feel they add a needed sense of mystery to a remote, dark forest at night.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:17 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
I knew a guy who was the greatest bartender. He knew every drink, how to make it and what it tasted like. He was the kind of guy anyone could meet and be great friends with in minutes, just like a bartender should be. He would fill in at a Irish bar on holidays when they needed extra staff and was loved by all. So, one day the Irish bar needed a new bartender and he applied. He knew everyone so he thought it was a guarantee. The owner took him in back and told him straight up - "You don't have tits".

Nothing a little augmentive surgury couldn't fix. In this day and age.........

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:12 pm 

I saw ZPZ, then Big Business & The Melvins all in the same night in Buffalo 8-7-08. ZPZ played for free outdoors, show got cut around 9:00 due to lightning. Probably the last few songs on the setlist weren't played. Didn't miss any of Big Biz/Melvins though. One of the best concert nights of my life.