Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:02 pm 

Gilmour

Post subject: re: poncy gits
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:47 pm 

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:38 pm 

Ummagumma,live @ The Fillmore west`69. 1st P.Floyd experience. :D 8)

vote: both

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:00 am 

Syd!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:45 am 

David Gilmour Momentary Lapse of Reason tour 1987
Roger Waters the Dark Side of the Moon tour 2007 and the Wall tour 2012

I love both of these guys, "thier" music is timeless and has provided the soundtrack to so many great moments throughout my life. Certain passage's of Pink Floyd's music can transport me back in time and induce feelings of euphoria like no other music I have ever heard.
So far there has only been one other artist's music that can move me emotionally, his initials are FZ.

PS I did burst into tears at a David Bowie performance of Space Oddity during the 1983 serious moonlight tour, but to be fair I was very very depressed (woman trouble) and I was very drunk at the time.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am 

I like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUYzQaCCt2o

"Gilmour: Sure, I'll do it. What is the farthest I can be away from Roger and still be on the same stage?"

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:20 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Ummagumma,live @ The Fillmore west`69. 1st P.Floyd experience. :D 8)

vote: both

Ditto

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:15 am 

If I choose not to decide I'll still have made a choice.

I signed on the line for seven long years.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:38 am 

I go along with Mr GG - Barrett (as I'm sure Gilmour would choose) :P

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:52 am 

Gilmour for musicianship

Waters for creativity

Best stuff either of them did was when they were together!

First Waters solo tour blew away anything DG's Pink Floyd did live.

Enjoyed Waters' Dark Side Tour much more than The Wall (saw it, won't be bothering again unless it's free and I don't have anything else to do)

Saw several Momentary shows including some of the first couple--really enjoyed echoes and SOYCD

Division Bell tour bored me (saw two shows in Oakland which are frequently bootlegged)

All shows after the breakup were more Pink Floyd Revue with too many extras (people and bombast) Both camps were guilty of this but the DG PF was worse.
My opinion only!

Now go listen to some early Pink Floyd live

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:14 pm 

neurochasm wrote:
Now go listen to some early Pink Floyd live

Ummagumma do that right now neurochasm,with only 2 post since`06 and one of them is about PF. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:22 pm 

I think that BOTH were vital to Pink Floyd's greatness and they were better together than without one another. Gilmour was the better vocalist and instrumentalist. Waters' was one of the best ever rock lyricists.

However I think that Rick Wright (RIP) should also be mentioned in the conversation. His keyboards were integral to Floyd's sounds and he came up with some key song contributions in his own right. His vox were also excellent. In my opinion, Wright's contributions to Pink Floyd were as important (and under-rated) as George Harrison's to the Beatles.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:17 pm 

Definitely Gilmour. One of rock's most distinctive guitarists. Waters is a great lyricist but the more control he took over Floyd, the less I liked their music.

I don't remember where I read this but years ago someone said that Waters and Gilmour had a lot in common with Lennon and McCartney. Lennon and Waters were the ones who made you think but McCartney and Gilmour made you enjoy it.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:32 pm 

I voted The Beach Boys.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:50 pm 

Creatively, you'd have to break it down this way...

For lyric & conceptual writing, Waters.

For writing music and performing, Gilmour (& Wright).

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:21 am 

Poor Nick :cry:

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:59 am 

Sorry, I don't give a fuck about PF.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:12 am 

Check my Nephew out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF5j-_2iUSg
another brick in the wall part 2 solo cover

I told him say that there is a backing track also good stuff sounds like he is playing along too Gilmours Guitar though not i seen Sync guitar port with Sony Vages of just backing track.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:32 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
David Gilmour Momentary Lapse of Reason tour 1987
Roger Waters the Dark Side of the Moon tour 2007 and the Wall tour 2012

I love both of these guys, "thier" music is timeless and has provided the soundtrack to so many great moments throughout my life. Certain passage's of Pink Floyd's music can transport me back in time and induce feelings of euphoria like no other music I have ever heard.
So far there has only been one other artist's music that can move me emotionally, his initials are FZ.

PS I did burst into tears at a David Bowie performance of Space Oddity during the 1983 serious moonlight tour, but to be fair I was very very depressed (woman trouble) and I was very drunk at the time.

Well put... :smoke:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:07 pm 

gilters! no, no, wamour!

>You don't.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:41 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
... I was very drunk at the time.
Ha ha. Hopefully I'm not the only one who gets that.

What a stupid question. I swore to myself a long time ago that I was not going to be one of those people who said this about other people's threads. But seriously ... what a really stupid question.

The only reason I don't listen to much Pink Floyd any more is that there isn't much in the first place and when you divide that by two after cherry picking there's even less and I'm so familiar with that half there's almost no point any more. My eldest son had a thing about them a while back which I was chuffed about but he went on to overplay them of course.

Personally, even though they've separated themselves, I can't separate them in my head, it's like the yin and yang of whatever floyd became after Sid left. I think when Sid was with them it was different band and that stuff is dated in my opinion.

Mind you, whatever that quote says about Gilmour's attitude to Waters, he's standing pretty close to him in that pic.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:04 am 

polydigm wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:

Well spotted Poly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:00 pm 

polydigm wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:

What a stupid question. I swore to myself a long time ago that I was not going to be one of those people who said this about other people's threads. But seriously ... what a really stupid question.

The only reason I don't listen to much Pink Floyd any more is that there isn't much in the first place and when you divide that by two after cherry picking there's even less and I'm so familiar with that half there's almost no point any more. My eldest son had a thing about them a while back which I was chuffed about but he went on to overplay them of course.

Personally, even though they've separated themselves, I can't separate them in my head, it's like the yin and yang of whatever floyd became after Sid left. I think when Sid was with them it was different band and that stuff is dated in my opinion.

Mind you, whatever that quote says about Gilmour's attitude to Waters, he's standing pretty close to him in that pic.

No need to buy DSotM here,just turn on a classic rock station and there it is! I agree about Sid,I've seen them in`69 all together,playing Ummagumma,way before DSotM came out and it was one of the best concerts ever.(other than FZ) After the break-up I saw the Gilmore pink pig tour/show and it was just like classic radio.Pleasant and nice,but nothing new there.The people on acid or shrooms seemed to enjoy it more.I just wanted to turn the channel! So if Dave,Sid and Roger stayed together,I'd hope they'd have come up with some new shit,together.We'll never know now.But I bet it would have been great!
BTW,back in`69 at the Fillmore,you could barely see the guys,because of the mass of equipment and instruments.Even a six foot wide gong! Who played the gong? Talk about YCFTOSA,Frank would have been very curious as to how it fit and how they got certain sounds out of that configuration of equipment.But y'all knew that already.....didn't you? 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:46 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
I voted The Beach Boys.

Sorry. That never happened. Bruce Johnston and Toni Tenille.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:31 pm 

I listened to my 1977 Animals cassette in the car again this morning, and in spite of what most critics say, there's some good keyboard playing by Wright on that album - some fine ELP emulations on Dogs, f'rintance. They must be comparing to WYWH, where he's even more prominent. Plus Mason's drumming is much better than his reputation suggests - very cool rhythms on Dogs, again. Check out the "Just another sad old man" section as a case in point. Overall a wonderful album, and amazing that my old EMI cassette isn't worn out after all these years. I did have to change the sponge a coupla years back, though.