Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 278 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:20 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
anybody that thinks a piece of plastic being hit by a laser beam sounds better than a needle touching a vinyl record needs to have a dull knife circumcision by a drunk Michael J Fox!

Love those quaint, country expressions!

"That there is what you'd call a country wittisism"~ Jack Nickleson in Easy Rider. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:58 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
anybody that thinks a piece of plastic being hit by a laser beam sounds better than a needle touching a vinyl record needs to have a dull knife circumcision by a drunk Michael J Fox!

Who gives a fuck what you think Vinyl fucks up no matter how much it's looked after plus it days are over and FZ said so go figure Asshole sniffer 8)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:34 am 

Maybe you should remove that corn flake or semen stuck between your comma and dot keys.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:41 am 

Maybe you should put me back on ignore Asshole.

Why ain't IINK site got all the Digital stuff FZ done I suppose the world ain't big enuff for Both :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:10 pm 

Nice clip on the news saying a LP or too be available because of 20 odd years of being a thing of the past,a revival they had a few Assholes saying collecting vinyl was they hobbie I think they need a life.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:19 pm 

I think you're a secret vinyl lover really, Cleon.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:18 am 

now it's almost the opposite. if you watch any television show or movie from the last five years, anytime someone puts on music, 99% pecent of the time, it's a record. it's made a comeback, mainly because people want to be "cool" and record companies make more money from vinyl than cds. and to clarify, the only time vinyl sounds better than a cd is when you have a brand new copy of the best possible pressing of an album on an expensive high-end turntable. and even then after that, with each play the sound of the record sounds slightly warped. to think otherwise shows your ignorance.

Quote:
most people wouldn't know music if it came up and bit them on the ass.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:34 am 

cleon wrote:
Thinman wrote:
Silk Chariot wrote:
… so I'd likely prefer to hear the badly mastered version of the vinyl over the cd just based on the nature of playing a vinyl record on an old hi-fi. That crappy layer of digital reverb is tolerable to me, as long as I can hear it compressed through a record needle.

Interesting masochistic habits. ;-)
FZ was using digital equipment to record
Compression dont mean a thing music recorded Digital Playback Analoge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dysc50JV ... re=related
Frank Zappa - City Of Tiny Lites, King Biscuit Flower Hour 1980

Bump

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:58 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
This point really needs to be addressed. We're comparing the transfer of sound waves as represented by minute cuts in plastic through the frictional vibrations of a diamond stylus, a process which could never fully accurately reproduce the original sound being recorded and not only that, in a medium that degrades from the instant it is created and introduces a variety of artifacts that have nothing to do with the original sound even when in pristine condition, with the transfer of sound waves in a way closer to fully accurate than any human could distinguish via a process that has no impact on the sound whatever.

Surely the aim ultimately is to be able to reproduce the original performance as accurately as possible? You're in denial if you think vinyl does that better than the latest digital possibilities.

With all due respect to "some" of your other contributions on this forum, vinyl is a matter of taste. You obviously like what the vinyl listening process adds to the original sound. I don't. The problem with digital recording is not the process itself, it's what a lot of people add to it. When I record my own live music, I use digital, I process with digital and play back from a digital result. In the process I fuck around with it as little as possible unless there is some digital effect or sound that I actually want to have as a part of the mix. The original recording and final replaying part have little or no impact on that. It's more about the quality of the microphones being used and the acoustics of the space I'm recording in and so on.

And, while we're on the point of accuracy, if you and I were in a room together along with a drunk Michael J Fox and he attempted to give me the circumcision you described then it would end up getting done to you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:37 pm 

You know what I enjoy? The fact I can have my entire music collection on a 3TB hard drive, all lossless, which I can stream to any room in the house with a squeezebox and control it with my phone.

Sure, it's fun to watch a record spin, but all of the tedious setup to get a halfway decent sound is a total mood killer, like a fart during a 69.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:25 pm 

polydigm wrote:
And, while we're on the point of accuracy, if you and I were in a room together along with a drunk Michael J Fox and he attempted to give me the circumcision you described then it would end up getting done to you.
He be Catching SSpunk yours probably :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:34 pm 

I actually love vinyl records. I get really excited when I see a vinyl of an album I love. Just recently I saw Roxy & Elsewhere on vinyl at a record store and I almost passed out!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:57 pm 

beajerkgotowork wrote:
I actually love vinyl records. I get really excited when I see a vinyl of an album I love. Just recently I saw Roxy & Elsewhere on vinyl at a record store and I almost passed out!

You did buy it though,didn't you?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:33 am 

cleon wrote:
pygmy stallion wrote:
cleon wrote:
I'm just glad I had the time too listen too vinyl before it has too be bought secondhand and that :mrgreen:

While I am old enough to remember vinyl in a pre-CD world, you do realize the figures posted by Nielsen in my earlier post don't refer to second-hand vinyl sales, right? These sales are new releases by current artists (as well as reissues).

What you trolling about go top yourself Asshole.
Ho yes you are one of the Mongols who Said about CD is A thing of the past because Vinyl is what a fucking joke and you old enuff too remember Vinyl :smoke:

You seriously have the worst rebuttals for why "vinyl is a thing of the past". Oh, because Frank Zappa said it was it MUST BE. Seriously, unless you have a proper rebuttal, shut the fuck up. And as for tweaking shit and CONSTANTLY calling other people "assholes" and shit just for stating there opinion... FUCK YOU! What, so you're aloud to state your dumbass false opinion but no-one else can say shit as to why the like it?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:37 am 

Image For you, Cleon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:31 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
beajerkgotowork wrote:

You did buy it though,didn't you?

Sadly, I didn't have enough money :cry: But if it's still there when I do, definately! The only other Zappa vinyls I have are We're Only In It For The Money and 200 Motels.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:55 am 

I seen Roxy in a record shop 20 odd years ago little did I know then Roxy was a year or too from becoming a thing of the past on Vinyl then little later released on old masters which on iink site they need a photo and stuff so if somebody offered it for nothing I tell them too keep it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:07 am 

SuicideChump wrote:
You seriously have the worst rebuttals for why "vinyl is a thing of the past". Oh, because Frank Zappa said it was it MUST BE. Seriously, unless you have a proper rebuttal, shut the fuck up. And as for tweaking shit and CONSTANTLY calling other people "assholes" and shit just for stating there opinion... FUCK YOU! What, so you're aloud to state your dumbass false opinion but no-one else can say shit as to why the like it?
FZ also said it was a thing of the past did he when was that?

Read the thread topic Asshole i don't go around posting CD'S in vinyl threads so seems your wrong.You got plenty of room threads every where loads of vinyl is good none like mine here a little originality scare you :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:48 am 

Oh, man. I love vinyl. I'd love it even more if I could afford a state-of-the-art turntable and easy access to a pressing plant so I could run off copies of my personal playlists on a whim.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:07 am 

polydigm wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
This point really needs to be addressed. We're comparing the transfer of sound waves as represented by minute cuts in plastic through the frictional vibrations of a diamond stylus, a process which could never fully accurately reproduce the original sound being recorded and not only that, in a medium that degrades from the instant it is created and introduces a variety of artifacts that have nothing to do with the original sound even when in pristine condition, with the transfer of sound waves in a way closer to fully accurate than any human could distinguish via a process that has no impact on the sound whatever.

Surely the aim ultimately is to be able to reproduce the original performance as accurately as possible? You're in denial if you think vinyl does that better than the latest digital possibilities.

With all due respect to "some" of your other contributions on this forum, vinyl is a matter of taste. You obviously like what the vinyl listening process adds to the original sound. I don't. The problem with digital recording is not the process itself, it's what a lot of people add to it. When I record my own live music, I use digital, I process with digital and play back from a digital result. In the process I fuck around with it as little as possible unless there is some digital effect or sound that I actually want to have as a part of the mix. The original recording and final replaying part have little or no impact on that. It's more about the quality of the microphones being used and the acoustics of the space I'm recording in and so on.

Vinyl is best and jaypspunk crying over CD releases Classic Asshole :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:45 pm 

To be fair to Cleon, and as an answer to all those others who complain about people who hijack threads, this thread was started by Cleon and he asked a simple question. When people say "thing of the past" it's just an english turn of phrase.

For example, rugs that are woven by hand. It's not totally a thing of the past because people still do it and you can pay through the nose to buy one if you want. We have a lovely Indian rug that wasn't cheap. In this sense, am I glad hand weaving is a thing of the past? Yes, that and a whole bunch of other things that make my current highly desirable mode of living possible.

There are other dimensions than just cost involved. Many things have improved with advances in technology and in some cases it's just variety that's improved and it comes down to a question of taste.

So, in the sense of not totally a thing of the past, am I happy vinyl is a thing of the past? Yes. The digital age in music has been fantastic for me personally. But I'm not writing vinyl off any more than I would write off hand woven rugs.

It's not a stupid question from that point of view. We've just ended up with a thread full of stupid people arguing at cross purposes and none more stupid than me for thinking I might make a difference.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:26 pm 

At least you try Poly.That in and of it's self makes you one up on the hater/arguers here.I respect you're giving it a shot with an explaintion that most of us understand perfectly well..imho thats cool. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:13 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:

Love those quaint, country expressions!

"That there is what you'd call a country wittisism"~ Jack Nickleson in Easy Rider. :mrgreen:
Woe Boy :mrgreen: :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:23 pm 

Silk Chariot wrote:
Vinyl rules! Never heard a Zappa record sound better than on vinyl...including reissue vinyl...I just like it better.

I think you may have something there! I attended a seminar today at a major hi-fi retailer in Toronto. It was a vinyl and digital file seminar. The main purpose was to take a medium-priced turntable and a cheap, used (non-audiophile) pressing of a record and compare it to a standard CD of the same title, just to show how good vinyl can be these days. To sum it up: Holy crap! Vinyl sounded awesome! There was more depth to the soundstage, and a lot more detail (resolution) across the board when it came to vinyl. The CD sounded good, don't get me wrong, but vinyl was better. I had to admit it.

The guy also then showed how you can record your viny into a digital file (a 24-bit/192 kHz file - we're not talking MP3s or even regular iTunes files), and that, too, sounded better than the CD! I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't heard it for myself. Convenience-wise, though, am I prepared for the expense of the new turntable, phono stage, and all the other crap you have to get? Nah, but I will consider it perhaps down the road. For now, though, I will be more than happy to keep snapping up the new releases of the CDs. So happy to see Frank back!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:35 pm 

The vinyl mixes are superior. I find they never sound worse than the CD and usually much better. Nothing wrong with the original physical media!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 278 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next