Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:31 pm 

He's been an independent artist from the beginning, so there's no promotion. He probably heard too many horror stories about record companies from Zappa, I don't know?

Anyway, Keneally is a very ambitious artist who's written a lot of great music. He's one hell of a guitarist and keyboard player too. Like Zappa, he always plays with great drummers. His recent collaboration with Marco Minnemann, Evidence Of Humanity is pretty amazing!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:42 pm 

Star Thrower wrote:
Plook wrote:
That first song while it starts out with a heavy FZ influence sounds almost just like XTC from the Big Express era once the lyrics start...do we know if he was influenced by them at all?

Yeah, Keneally is a big fan of XTC. Andy Partridge is also a big Keneally fan. In fact, they are working together on an album.

Yeah. Ditto on that Plook. His main influences are Zappa, XTC, and Todd plus alot of fusiony stuff. He seems to really take the most inaccesssible route though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:53 pm 

It's not inaccessible if you take the time to listen. I know that's asking a lot in this age of nanosecond attention spans.

Books are inaccessible too, if you don't sit down and read them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:05 pm 

Hey, I dig Keneally. I'm just saying there's no hope in hell this guy's ever going to have a "hit".

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:21 pm 

Hit songs are kind of irrelevant for musicians these days. You gotta be a teeny bopper, or a diva prancing around in your underwear.

Radio has gotten so bad that I only listen to the classical station. I used to do a show at the Syracuse University radio station. It was a jazz format, but I played Zappa, and Keneally just in case there were some open minded listeners tuned in. I don't know if it did any good or not?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:40 pm 

Star Thrower wrote:
Hit songs are kind of irrelevant for musicians these days. You gotta be a teeny bopper, or a diva prancing around in your underwear.

Radio has gotten so bad that I only listen to the classical station. I used to do a show at the Syracuse University radio station. It was a jazz format, but I played Zappa, and Keneally just in case there were some open minded listeners tuned in. I don't know if it did any good or not?

Hey myself I am having a blast with a resurgence of Top 40 pop radio, my daughter listens sometimes and the granddaughter gets to bopping and it's fun, the music has catchy beats and a lot of the musicians are not taking themselves too serious and are having fun with the music and actually putting a lot of tongue and check in it. Frank had to make money to do what he wanted and I am sure compromised to do so, give this music a chance, let your hair down, have a little fun…there is plenty of time for the educated ear.

Hey it reminds me of a lot of the finger snapping hits of the 60's & 70's that defined that era. The greats were there too, but we all remember hearing some sappy toe taper at the beach checking out girls or something classic like that.

As some apocalyptic hobo once said while eating barbequed rat out of a trash can in some ‘B” movie I once watched…”It’s all good”.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:58 pm 

When I'm driving around in my car with my son (he's 14) he switches the radio around from my classic rock to the current hard rock to the mix rock/pop to the current pop. Why wouldn't he want to hear the "hits" of his day. Hopefully as he matures he'll get into something better. He's a musician himself and I'm taking him to see ZPZ in Sept.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:48 am 

I didn't get to see FZ play so ZPZ for me is great!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:47 pm 

zootallurs wrote:
Yes you've read that correctly. I want to know how many Frank Zappa fans have lost interest in ZPZ since the YCFOSA download fiasco? Maybe it's just me but I just don't care anymore. Yes, I think Dweezil can play guitar. Yes I think his band is tight and well rehearsed, but I sure am not going to buy any new product he puts out. His website is great looking but rarely updated. His YCFOSA "info" section hasn't been updated since day one. If he insists on doing everything himself, all I can say is "good luck". I still listen to Frank, haven't given up on new releases from "The Vault", (they're quite good).
Well that's all I have to say.

(Let the flaming begin!)

I was beginning to think it was just me.....Not!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:51 pm 

OBDULA X wrote:

No, there are are a few other obsessive, whiny bitches around, so you don't need to feel lonely.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:25 pm 

Only when there not playing near by!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:58 pm 

blsabob23 wrote:
OBDULA X wrote:

No, there are are a few other obsessive, whiny bitches around, so you don't need to feel lonely.

Aren't you special !

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:06 pm 

I believe The Grandmothers is a better tribute to Zappa, with actual members of The Mothers. But if ZPZ does come to my town, I will go!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:15 pm 

beajerkgotowork wrote:
I believe The Grandmothers is a better tribute to Zappa, with actual members of The Mothers. But if ZPZ does come to my town, I will go!

Have you seen DZpZ yet? There totally awesome +1000,really! Trust me.The best by far so far for me. So it should be easy to see who's got a bisquit and who's got an Apostrophy! Ha,ha! Can't wait to see,hear and compare.Each is uniquely different and qualified and yet the same.Ah,that Frank,whatta rogue composer! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:36 pm 

I haven't seen ZPZ yet, but I really want to! I think its cool that one of Frank's biggest fans is his own son! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:57 pm 

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery .... ZPZ is the best we have right now ... but it's listening to the apprentice and not the master himself!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:10 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
beajerkgotowork wrote:

Have you seen DZpZ yet? There totally awesome +1000,really! Trust me.The best by far so far for me. So it should be easy to see who's got a bisquit and who's got an Apostrophy! Ha,ha! Can't wait to see,hear and compare.Each is uniquely different and qualified and yet the same.Ah,that Frank,whatta rogue composer! :D

I would have said the same thing before what I saw this last Saturday night at Moe's Alley in Santa Cruz. I have seen ZPZ now more times than I saw Frank himself and will always catch their shows whenever I get a chance. That said, if the Grandmothers of Invention and ZPZ were playing the same night I might just catch the Grandmothers.

My mini-review got yanked as part of a Grandmothers thread-yank in the concerts forum (no surprise there). I only just heard about the Grandmothers playing in my town (Santa Cruz) that morning so of course I went. I had expectations of a show maybe a bit better than Project Object, but nowhere near the level of ZPZ. Boy was I wrong. I was blown away! I went with two other Zappa fans who have also seen ZPZ many times (one being my wonderful wife who has been by my side at all the ZPZ shows I have been to) and we were all blown away. This was a five-piece band and they did almost the entire Roxy album and it sounded more like the way I remember seeing Frank live in the '70s than any ZPZ show, even with Napoleon in the two '06 shows I saw (SF and their last show at Moranga). Napoleon was on fire (when isn't he?) performing like he was 40 years younger. Tom Fowler was layin' down the bass the same as in the 70s on Roxy, but even better with the advantage of almost 4 decades worth of practice added to his insane chops. Don Preston at 79 years 11 months old was nothing short of amazing (what would you expect from a legend in the synthesizer. Chris Garcia's drum work was superb--I just wish I could have heard him do some marimbas since he was apparently a percussion student of Ruth's. Mike Miller (from Chick Corea's Elektric Band, Banned from Utopia, Fowler Bros. among others) stepped into the guitar role and his playing was absolutely fabulously! There was talk of a possible show in the future with George Duke, Ruth, and Bruce Fowler as special guests in the LA area, and that is a lineup I would travel 350+ miles to LA for.

So loosing interest in ZPZ? No. Gaining interest in the new formation of the Grandmothers? Absolutely! I wish Gail would take a queue from the way Pink Floyd members treat the Australian Pink Floyd Project with regards to the Grandmothers (I know it will never happen). APNF was invited to perform (and did so) at David Gilmore's birthday party!

I just want to hear Frank's music played live and well. ZPZ does it Dweezil's way very nicely and I love it. The current iteration of the Grandmother's do it like they have Frank on stage with them still and are mind blowing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:33 pm 

msvphoto wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
beajerkgotowork wrote:

I would have said the same thing before what I saw this last Saturday night at Moe's Alley in Santa Cruz. I have seen ZPZ now more times than I saw Frank himself and will always catch their shows whenever I get a chance. That said, if the Grandmothers of Invention and ZPZ were playing the same night I might just catch the Grandmothers.

My mini-review got yanked as part of a Grandmothers thread-yank in the concerts forum (no surprise there). I only just heard about the Grandmothers playing in my town (Santa Cruz) that morning so of course I went. I had expectations of a show maybe a bit better than Project Object, but nowhere near the level of ZPZ. Boy was I wrong. I was blown away! I went with two other Zappa fans who have also seen ZPZ many times (one being my wonderful wife who has been by my side at all the ZPZ shows I have been to) and we were all blown away. This was a five-piece band and they did almost the entire Roxy album and it sounded more like the way I remember seeing Frank live in the '70s than any ZPZ show, even with Napoleon in the two '06 shows I saw (SF and their last show at Moranga). Napoleon was on fire (when isn't he?) performing like he was 40 years younger. Tom Fowler was layin' down the bass the same as in the 70s on Roxy, but even better with the advantage of almost 4 decades worth of practice added to his insane chops. Don Preston at 79 years 11 months old was nothing short of amazing (what would you expect from a legend in the synthesizer. Chris Garcia's drum work was superb--I just wish I could have heard him do some marimbas since he was apparently a percussion student of Ruth's. Mike Miller (from Chick Corea's Elektric Band, Banned from Utopia, Fowler Bros. among others) stepped into the guitar role and his playing was absolutely fabulously! There was talk of a possible show in the future with George Duke, Ruth, and Bruce Fowler as special guests in the LA area, and that is a lineup I would travel 350+ miles to LA for.

So loosing interest in ZPZ? No. Gaining interest in the new formation of the Grandmothers? Absolutely! I wish Gail would take a queue from the way Pink Floyd members treat the Australian Pink Floyd Project with regards to the Grandmothers (I know it will never happen). APNF was invited to perform (and did so) at David Gilmore's birthday party!

I just want to hear Frank's music played live and well. ZPZ does it Dweezil's way very nicely and I love it. The current iteration of the Grandmother's do it like they have Frank on stage with them still and are mind blowing.

I saw them at Yoshi's in Oakland,the Wed.before and NMB said they were invited back for a 2 night stand.The show had sold out.If they play anywhere near me I'm going,same as I would DZpZ.For this old ZappaFreak,The GrandMothers of Invention have an FZ aura around them.These guys practice 3-4 hours a day and it shows! Totally plush music arrangements and treatment of FZ's songs,some of there own and some improve thrown in.Like Frank used to do,the audience participation too! Almost like FZ was there. 8) :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:58 pm 

Sometimes it's hard to tell the substitutes from the non-substitutes. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:09 pm 

They all taste like butter to different degrees. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:40 am 

Great Band name "The Substitutes"

First Album - "Off The Bench"

First Hit - "I Just Can't Believe its Not..."

:smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:56 pm 

Plook wrote:
Great Band name "The Substitutes"

First Album - "Off The Bench"

First Hit - "I Just Can't Believe its Not..."

Of course they will need to cover "Substitute" by the Who.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:11 am 

To return to the original purpose of this thread (please don't tell me that sounds like Trendy), I find myself losing interest in Zappa Plays Zappa. First Pete goes. Then Billy and Jamie get let go. Then Scheila shows up with that awful hairdo. It's too much change, too fast. Guess I'll have to get into something else, like Gryphon Labs.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:10 pm 

Pope Jim wrote:
To return to the original purpose of this thread (please don't tell me that sounds like Trendy), I find myself losing interest in Zappa Plays Zappa. First Pete goes. Then Billy and Jamie get let go. Then Scheila shows up with that awful hairdo. It's too much change, too fast. Guess I'll have to get into something else, like Gryphon Labs.

Is Scheila's new doo really a deal breaker? Now I wanna see pictures so post 'em up!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:48 pm 

Scheila rules!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next