Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:42 pm 

The bands without percussion were not nearly as good as those with it. Out of 22 shows I attended, my least favorite was the 5 piece from the Zoot era. It just didn't sound right without vibes/marimba. That's a signature sound.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:17 pm 

Ronald Noomies wrote:
The bands without percussion were not nearly as good as those with it. Out of 22 shows I attended, my least favorite was the 5 piece from the Zoot era. It just didn't sound right without vibes/marimba. That's a signature sound.

So very true.But they (the five piece band) were more guitar orienated and FZ has a signiture guitar sound for that to.I like the percussion better too.It gives it so much more texture.imho. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:54 pm 

Anyone know who's on bass this tour? I've got tickets for nashville, hoping its tunes but the band list is not up on DZW or the zpz page (which is super out of date at this point)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:00 pm 

Grimpoteuthis wrote:
Anyone know who's on bass this tour? I've got tickets for nashville, hoping its tunes but the band list is not up on DZW or the zpz page (which is super out of date at this point)

Look for Disco Boys post on the ZPZ 2012 setlists thread for each new setlists.The new bass guy has been rehearsing for awhile.I think his first name's Kurt.But I'm not sure.Its on one of DZ's blogs on DZW,if you want to wade through all that fractile stuff to get to it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:56 am 

Grimpoteuthis wrote:

Kurt Morgan. This will be his second tour. Haven't seen him yet myself.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:49 pm 

GreenHocher wrote:
Grimpoteuthis wrote:

Kurt is the Zappa's new 'ScoreMeister', curating FZ's written music. He plays on the last two AAAFNRAA birthday bundles and provided 'lower case opinions' on Penguin in Bondage/The little known story of the Mothers of Invention.

"Remarkable in detail and interview, an unexpected and invaluable look at a such an important and ill-fated moment in Frank's career."

www.idiotbastard.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:36 pm 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:
GreenHocher wrote:
Grimpoteuthis wrote:

Kurt is the Zappa's new 'ScoreMeister', curating FZ's written music. He plays on the last two AAAFNRAA birthday bundles and provided 'lower case opinions' on Penguin in Bondage/The little known story of the Mothers of Invention.

Interesting.He did the OZ tour of course,d'oh! Thanx IB. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:17 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
Plook wrote:
Is this music possible without a percussionist?

with the right kind of set list, sure. it will be great. it will also give them a chance to stretch out a bit and not be so sterile. remember the late 1975-1976-early 1977 FZ bands were a 5 piece for most of those tours.

True. Except that the critical consensus (viz "We're Only In It For The Touring" website) is that these bands were mere transitional lulls between the 1973-74 and the late 1977-1978 peak experiences. The question is whether you think those transitional five-pieces were in any way equivalent to the book-ending six-to-seven-to-eight pieces in terms of musical quality? It's true the late 1975 band was less sterile than the late 1974 band, but your mileage may vary as far as the "stretching out" factor.

I think Zappa Band had to be minimally a five-piece group. Because FZ himself couldn't play rhythm and sing at the same time. Nor did he particularly enjoy playing the rhythm, so no wonder he got extra guitars later. But there was a big gap between FZ first giving up rhythm and hiring the first real stunt guitarist (Warren Cuccurullo and then S.Vai). Which means, for instance, much of the music live on the 1978 tour was left guitar-free. Mainly complex instrumentals, but also some of the tunes that initially depended on FZ rocking out on rhythm guitar: just compare the 1978 version of Magic Fingers with synth overload and then the 1980 version with added Vai oomph.

In any case, the standard case of having a simple rock power quartet lineup, that could have been augmented with vibes or horns, was out of question for FZ. That's why the 1988 band had 12 whooping members. That's definitely a completely different case than, say the 1969 Soft Machine consisting of organ trio and a brass quartet, or Chicago Transit Authority with rock quartet + brass trio.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:44 am 

If it was strictly a money issue, shouldn't they have removed Ben first before Jamie or Billy? The other members could pick up more vocal duties, and the band could do more instrumentals in general.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:33 pm 

FalseDichotomy wrote:
If it was strictly a money issue, shouldn't they have removed Ben first before Jamie or Billy? The other members could pick up more vocal duties, and the band could do more instrumentals in general.

Perhaps, or maybe Dweezil wants the vocal duties taken care of to concentrate on the music more.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:31 pm 

Thanks for the info!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:29 pm 

Sounds like spin. They quit, ya scramble.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:19 am 

brainpang wrote:
Sounds like spin. They quit, ya scramble.

Sometimes when people are asked to take a pay cut they leave NMB did it... :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:51 pm 

FalseDichotomy wrote:

I would certainly sacrifice Ben before Jamie or Billy. Especially Billy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:56 pm 

KUIII wrote:
FalseDichotomy wrote:

I would certainly sacrifice Ben before Jamie or Billy. Especially Billy.

I chhhheck :wink: