Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:57 pm 

Yea I always liked his electric work with savoy Brown, we always cranked up Looking In, back in the day, or maybe today. I thought the new acoustic work is good also.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:23 pm 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
Yea I always liked his electric work with savoy Brown, we always cranked up Looking In, back in the day, or maybe today. I thought the new acoustic work is good also.

If he played half as good as when I saw him with SB it would be worth the cost right there! I enjoy Mose Allisons acoustic playin,so I should like KS in concert also.I just never heard if he was still recording or not and wondered what he was doing with all that talent.I think he was around 15yrs.old when I saw him playing in SB at the Sac.Memorial,back in the early 70's.Great show with Atomic Rooster opening. (also know as Nuclear Cock :mrgreen: ) I'm glad he's still playin! I thought he might have pulled a Peter Green and joined COD or something like that. Thanx for the info BS. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:29 am 

Was Carl Palmer still with atomic rooster when you saw them, also did you get to see Cold Blood back in those days?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:54 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
Was Carl Palmer still with atomic rooster when you saw them, also did you get to see Cold Blood back in those days?

Yep,CP was with them,he's the one who said "were also known as Nuclear Cock".Thats where I got that from.
On Lydia Pences Birthday at Winterland circa 73-74,(quayludes) I jumped on stage and gave her a semi-polite smooch on the cheek and was tossed back into the now parted crowd,were I landed on my tailbone.Sucker hurt for weeks! But she was really nice and at her best.She actually returned my kiss,but security back then was just some thugs hired from the gym across Geary St.She had a "I'm sorry" look on her face as I was falling backwards looking at her.Great raspy blues pipes from that little blonde! I just loved to hear her sing.Cold Blood was one of the best and underrated groups to come outta the late 60's early 70's,imo.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:10 am 

WOW cool, Cold Blood was great, my favorite is sisyphus !! You gotta love sons of champlin.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:44 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
WOW cool, Cold Blood was great, my favorite is sisyphus !! You gotta love sons of champlin.

They were the true Berkeley Beatles not CCR! I bought The Sons Of Chaplin double album when it came out.I've seen and partied with them back when Y&T opened for them at Sonoma State.Good times! I remember Bill driving up in a burgundy Jaguar. (out door concert) It was awhile before they went on and it got around that I had some great hash,(it was only lebeneze commercial shit,but what the hey!) I ended ed up smoking out the guys from Pablo Cruze,Sons of Chaplin.Commander Cody,well more like his Airmen,Billy C. Farlow and Bill Kerchen,and Phil Kennemore a good friend that was in Y&T. I hadn't thought of that day for years thanx BS.Hope I didn't bore you.
BTW.Sgt.Peppers when it came out! 45 yrs ago today.I've never been the same,and proud of it! The Summer Of Love is 45 years old this summer too! I was more of a Bezerkeley Free Radical,SDS stuff.You? 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:50 am 

Milton Bradley wrote:
Andres Segovia...that cat didn't know any tunes I could dance to.

Saw this man in concert in Madison, Wisconsin, and during one piece a string broke in the guitar ... and he simply moved his hands, and it was like nothing had happened ... I didn't know a string had been broken, as I was a bit far away ... and have not so good eye sight ... and at the end he goes ... did I sound ok on that one? ... and he got a standing ovation for that moment ... that should tell you something about dancing!

I doubt that 99/100 rock guitarists can get anywhere near that ... as most of them are just scale up and down and back up and then down and then an effect, lets rinse and repeat!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:59 am 

Plook wrote:
My first concert was the James Gang - Spooky Tooth (Gary Wrights band) - Edger Winter group (with Rick Derringer as Lead) the hot song was Frankenstein. What a flash to the past, I went with my sister and her friend, Long Beach Arena.

You better check to see who the guitarist was in the James Gang ... yeah ... that's him all right! Extremelly over rated, btw ... but fun to listen to when we were so ripped that everything he did sounded good!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:14 am 

Hi,

A couple of other names ... that are not over rated, but they won't get the listen from many folks here.

Toni McPhee -- Groundhogs ... it was his doing of "Amazing Grace" that led Jimi to do the American Anthem at Woodstock.

David Gilmour -- Was Syd Barrett's guitar teacher. Might not mean a lot, but it is likely that David is very good on tone and pitch, and he had a good feel for the guitar because of it. His solo albums are ok, but they are not as nice or valuable as any PF album.

Robert Fripp -- Sometimes I think he is over rated. You look at his write ups on his web sites and his writing down all of his music, and the first thing that you want to say/think is ... does he really play that? When you go back and listen to some of the wonderful things he did, they were not "written down" per se, and his guest moments with Eno, Peter Hammill and others, were not scripted either, but that monster sound, helped define a lot of music that became known as "progressive" ... though I thought they owed a whole bunch more to a guy that played with Janis in Cheap Thrills who taught everyone that you could thrash a guitar and ... make it work. No one calls Mr. Gurley under rated, but no one today has the balls to see where most grundge and acid rock guitars came from!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:33 pm 

The guy from Blue Cheer.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:06 am 

Paul Gilbert.

Technically brilliant, but has he ever played anything that sounded interesting. This of course goes for a lot of other "great" guitarists.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8