Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:04 am 

Zappa Forum, 10 Years.

Hosted at Zappa.com since May, 27, 2002, the Zappa Forum (ZF) officially opened its doors to connected freaks all around the world wide web later that year in August, 19.

It has been one point of convergence for Zappa enthusiasts for 10 years now. It allowed Zappa fans from more socially retarded areas, where 'Zappa's slime' have not yet oozed through the gaps of cultural decadence, to confirm the existence of such other rare creatures (in very low density around here - but thanks to the internet, and I hope, with the recent massive re-release, this is finally changing).

Many memorable and odd characters have come and gone, some are here from the beginning (don't you people have a life?), some arrived very early on, some along the way and some in the last few years. What does it matter? Many are very dear to me.

Before the spreading of 'social networks' this true network of passionate Zappa fans has certainly created new friends (some foes, I guess), stories and and many laughs (even some sad tears for our departed member Studabaker Hop).

With at leas some 3 major server crashes and at least one radical reboot this is where we stand today, like it or not.

Lets indulge in a bit of nostalgia for the ol' folks and share our forum moments, memories and thoughts.

Sunday, August, 19 we could have an online party in the HIDDEN CHAT ROOM - PIANO CORNER

Some names that joined still in 2002:

Trennasol, edgewaterinn, HJ, Ringo, L_Jon_Hubbub, PenguinInBondage, Fred_Zappelin, zliq, madcow1515, cor_bovinum, Trendmonger, sir_galoot, Bobby, AbnucealEmukaah83, Studebaker, Mij, jaypfunk, catpuke, dove_grey, VapoSlob, _bb_, stride, Mr_Green_Genes, studabaker_hop, RayBuckmiller, Zut_boF, sleeping in a jar, mother, Them, mungo, Butch, Baby_snake, pedro1, VCF, poncho, radley, dr_grogg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:08 pm 

Add the initial BBP to that list: I joined in September 2002, guided here by Sebastiaan, ducked out for a month during a depression mode and came back, that was in 2003.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:57 pm 

Add me too. I joined in fall of 2002. Can't believe I'm still here, or the forum is still here for that matter. Old habits die hard I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:15 pm 

Yes, many original accounts were ripped during the great crash of 2006.

Does anyone still have contact with jimmie_d?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:13 pm 

My story from another thresd:

My wife found this site in the summer of 2002 I joined as Mr.PlokeZfreak (spelled it wrong go figure) I chatted for about a year or so and only remember this guy that was always on and I can only assume it was Stu who has since tragically passed, I then cam back in 2009 and rejoined with the proper spelling of Plook...

:smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:58 pm 

BBP wrote:
Add the initial BBP to that list: I joined in September 2002, guided here by Sebastiaan, ducked out for a month during a depression mode and came back, that was in 2003.

yes i remember your name was "came crawling back" or something.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:42 pm 

those epic sleep dirt vocals flame fests used to be quite entertaining

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:52 pm 

I've only been here 5 years now.I'm still a newbie.Which rythmes with Doobie,which sounds good now!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:54 pm 

Can't believe it's been 12 years awready, and that I've been here with some pretty good company, some sadly departed, and some I wonder where they went. Zardoz! That was a good guy, and stride, too--but he does make an appearance every so often. Cheers to those who stayed and those who've just joined. Although there have been some excellent additions to the Forum technically, I do miss the old Pyramid and Sand Dunes that Slime posted. Such is life.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:29 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Does anyone still have contact with jimmie_d?

Not directly, but I know he's still around. One night recently I was chatting with Deb Daisy on Facebook. She was somewhere in the DC area, waiting for some Zappa related show to start. I happened to mention Jimmie, and she said "Oh, he's right here."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:18 am 

Thanks, hope they are all well and that they can come back here (in one way or another)

slime.oofytv.set wrote:

Yes, you are right. But the grand prize must go to the Album Sides Over 20 minutes pissing contest.

Dove, it is not for the nostalgia but the older forum design was more fun...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:10 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Thanks, hope they are all well and that they can come back here (in one way or another)

slime.oofytv.set wrote:

Yes, you are right. But the grand prize must go to the Album Sides Over 20 minutes pissing contest.

Dove, it is not for the nostalgia but the older forum design was more fun...

let's not forget mth and drooling savant's haiku battle.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:41 pm 

I remember the day I discovered this forum. I couldn't get over that the ZFT not only finally revamped their site (which was desperately needed) but also included a forum. I recall the closest thing to a forum they had beforehand was the "guestbook" (which I posted in a few times).

I'm still here...alive and kickin'. Though, in a much less crazier way than before. The battles I used to have with drooling savant, Mattie_Told_Hattie and another former forumer (who shall go nameless) were legendary. Generally, some of the older threads & discussions were utterly stupid and pointless (including some of mine), while others were informative as hell. sebastiaan was cool and was the first forumer to befriend me. It's too bad he doesn't post anymore because he contributed greatly. white person (or whitey) was also a good friend and my favourite poster up until I was told what he did with some of the money that was supposed to be invested in The Unmoderated CD project many of us contributed to. He hasn't showed up here in eons because of it but I hope he's changed his ways for the better since then. I still keep in touch with sleeping in a jar. And I talk to billy on MSN every few weeks. And it's good know that MentalTossFlycoon and slime are still here, as well as several others (too many to mention). But to be perfectly honest, I miss the old forum and prefer it to this one, since it was much fresher and animated. The newbies here have NO idea how fun it used to be! Actually, I think it would be cool if Issac could be allowed back. Ha! Just kidding! I'm not that crazy. :mrgreen:

Funnily enough, I remember starting a thread two years ago, mistakenly thinking this forum was already 10 years old, but of course it was only 8 years old.

We'll have to do something special once the anniversary is officially here.

We're like one big dysfunctional family... 8)

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:15 am 

Now dove thinks it is 12!

The Unmoderated CD project, the greatest achievment here. Congrats to its idealizer...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:12 am 

Oh my face is red! Lordy, that's what happens when you're trying to type out what's in your head a little too fast, that and being a night owl. Thanks for setting me straight on that. Ah, the haiku wars! Hoo-hoo! 'Tis true, the newbies don't know what they missed....unless they don't mind digging deep in threads and categories.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:51 am 

mr_green_genes wrote:

The Unmoderated CD project, the greatest achievment here. Congrats to its idealizer...

last one left, giga-rare, original longbox, mint; you snooz, you looz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:56 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
mr_green_genes wrote:

I've got one with just B & W pix and hand typed song list and *personalities* are listed for each song.I still listen to it now and again.Should I upgrade to the color model or save the cash for the new realeases? :?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:32 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
slime.oofytv.set wrote:
mr_green_genes wrote:

I've got one with just B & W pix and hand typed song list and *personalities* are listed for each song.I still listen to it now and again.Should I upgrade to the color model or save the cash for the new realeases? :?

What was the Unmoderated cd Project?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:22 am 

That was a couple of years ago, when members of this forum collaborated to make a xenochrony album. It went past me at the time unfortunately. Worse, one of the people ran with the money the forumers put together to print the album.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:23 am 

<--------- Joined: 27 Sep 2002 10:48

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:12 am 

vivalapsych -

Arkay is the one to talk to about the forum project. He ran it, produced it, wrote it, put up with silly submissions from forum members, and generally was the all around mastermind.

In short, anyone who wanted to submit sound to Arkay for the project sent it to him. It consisted of everything from "found sound" to fully realized pieces and everything in between. Then, using the theory of xenochrony, Arkay fashioned the project from there. The final product, titled The Unmoderated, had a cool cover and very interesting liner notes. It was not FZ music or a cover band album. It was...... much cooler than that.

At the time, there was a solid group of contributors, and lots of forum interest the project in general. Could such a thing happen today? I doubt it; there's too much animosity these days compared to then, which would make collaboration really difficult.

Not to be missed.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:07 pm 

no commercial potential though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:09 pm 

Next year there's going to be a real party. Actually I did log on to the forum in 2002, I can't remember what my name was then.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:19 pm 

Next Sunday is the official 10 years forum birthday anniversary party.

Let's gather at the

CHAT ROOM

In the chat right now, check the names with an asterisk(*) in the main page to see who is in the chat room... :!:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:43 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Next Sunday is the official 10 years forum birthday anniversary party.

Let's gather at the

CHAT ROOM

In the chat right now, check the names with an asterisk(*) in the main page to see who is in the chat room... :!:

+1.... I'm in! 8)