Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: zappa on spotify
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:25 pm 

for the past few days the New Zappa Albums have been showing up on the mobile version of Spotify, but all were unplayable, by this morning most if not all of the new versions could be seen, but none of them could be played, none of this could be viewed on the desktop version.

But in the last hour Waka/Jawaka has appeared on the desktop version and is playing beautifully i must say. I would suspect that the other albums will start making there way to the desktop version as well.. (Only Waka/Jawaka also plays on the mobile version).

Wonder which album will appear next?

Post subject: Re: zappa on spotify
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:50 pm 

:| just name it Zappa on and off sportify :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:00 am 

Has no one listened to the new masters for Waka/Jawaka on spotify? even though the CD is not out yet that album has appeared first and the others will follow shorty (before the CD releases by the look of it), i know some of you have an allergy to services like spotify but it's not that bad:-) To my ear Waka/Jawaka sounds nice, i can hear more percussion then before, or am i imaging that? who knows, would be great to hear other peoples views?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:18 am 

Fuck Spotify

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:29 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
Fuck Spotify

Nice articulate and informed opinion :-)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:34 am 

mistrijah wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
Fuck Spotify

Blow it out yer ass, Limey.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:59 am 

I've had a friend check here in the States on the "premium" account for Spotify and there are no new releases for Zappa listed. Don't know what to tell ya...

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:03 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
I've had a friend check here in the States on the "premium" account for Spotify and there are no new releases for Zappa listed. Don't know what to tell ya...

i have a premium account here in the UK and have been listening to Waka/Jawaka for the past 3 days..

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:44 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
mistrijah wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
Fuck Spotify

i have seen your limited use of English on other posts, it must be difficult to make it threw the day being such an asshole and all that...!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:23 am 

mistrijah wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:

i have a premium account here in the UK and have been listening to Waka/Jawaka for the past 3 days..

My premium, red-blooded American account gives me access to:

Absolutely Free
Baby Snakes
Bongo Fury
Burnt Weeny Sandwich
Chunga's Revenge
Freak Out
Hot Rats
One Size Fits All
Roxy & Elsewhere
Sheik Yerbouti
The Grand Wazoo
Uncle Meat
Weasels Ripped My Flesh
Zoot Allures
Waka/Jawaka

Some of the albums are available in their entirety and some have a song or two greyed out for whatever reason.

Actually, I just checked the Spotify iPhone app, and it looks like they have the entire FZ catalog listed on there, but practically every song is greyed out. Hmmm... maybe they're in the process of rolling it out?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:01 am 

madcow1515 wrote:
mistrijah wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:

My premium, red-blooded American account gives me access to:

Absolutely Free
Baby Snakes
Bongo Fury
Burnt Weeny Sandwich
Chunga's Revenge
Freak Out
Hot Rats
One Size Fits All
Roxy & Elsewhere
Sheik Yerbouti
The Grand Wazoo
Uncle Meat
Weasels Ripped My Flesh
Zoot Allures
Waka/Jawaka

Some of the albums are available in their entirety and some have a song or two greyed out for whatever reason.

Actually, I just checked the Spotify iPhone app, and it looks like they have the entire FZ catalog listed on there, but practically every song is greyed out. Hmmm... maybe they're in the process of rolling it out?

Thats great news, same as you on my iphone it shows all the albums but mostly greyed out, the ones that play now were greyed out a few days ago, it seems that its all rolling out slowly, can't wait to hear it all on there...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:20 pm 

mistrijah wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
mistrijah wrote:

i have seen your limited use of English on other posts, it must be difficult to make it threw the day being such an asshole and all that...!

Not trying to be an ass, but it does seem a bit incongruous to insult someone's language skills while typing a run-on sentence, using an incorrect spelling of the word "through", throwing in an ellipsis at the end of your sentence for no reason at all, and referring to yourself with a lowercase "i".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:50 am 

duchamp wrote:

Not trying to be an ass, but it does seem a bit incongruous to insult someone's language skills while typing a run-on sentence, using an incorrect spelling of the word "through", throwing in an ellipsis at the end of your sentence for no reason at all, and referring to yourself with a lowercase "i".

i was referring more to his verbal skills, ie the way he posts to people on here..
i don't care how people spell or talk etc, but this guy constantly insults people for no reason at all, so i will retaliate, you write some innocent post and he replies with a fuck you etc.. he does that to everyone on these posts, he thinks he is being clever but shows what an ignorant person he is, if someone attacks me for no reason then i will say something back... would love to see him do it to my face in real life, it's easy to be like that on here but can that guy operate like that out in the real world...? he is an asshole...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:58 am 

mistrijah wrote:
duchamp wrote:

i was referring more to his verbal skills, ie the way he posts to people on here..
i don't care how people spell or talk etc, but this guy constantly insults people for no reason at all, so i will retaliate, you write some innocent post and he replies with a fuck you etc.. he does that to everyone on these posts, he thinks he is being clever but shows what an ignorant person he is, if someone attacks me for no reason then i will say something back... would love to see him do it to my face in real life, it's easy to be like that on here but can that guy operate like that out in the real world...? he is an asshole...

maybe, or perhaps it was a quite successful attempt to derail a thread full of useless SPAM about some lame FOR PAY internet radio station.....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:42 am 

justw wrote:
maybe, or perhaps it was a quite successful attempt to derail a thread full of useless SPAM about some lame FOR PAY internet radio station.....

Again justw, how do you expect them to play other people's music with no advertisements for everyone in the world for free? What kind of a business would that be? :roll:
Do you have dozens of servers you could perhaps host the platform on free of charge? I'd gladly grab an account! :mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:42 am 

justw wrote:
mistrijah wrote:
duchamp wrote:

if you read the real FZ book you would see that he talks about his idea for the exact same thing that would later be spotify, music is not for free and should not be, the tread is not spam, i am and have been a genuine user for a number of years, and i am quite excited about Zappa coming to that service because i don't want to own any more peaces of plastic, have more then enough. and the fact that some of the albums are there before the CD release was something that was exciting and i wanted to share with others. I brought all the Ryco disks all those years ago, i wont be buying any more, the times have moved on i don't need to own shitty pieces of plastic to listen to music... being accused of being spam is not nice, i always thought FZ listeners were smarter then what i am seeing here the past few days...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:19 am 

I have to say that considering how active the 2012 Reissues thread is, I do find it a little odd that there doesn't seem to be much curiosity about what's popping up on Spotify, particularly with the albums that aren't out yet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:34 am 

madcow1515 wrote:
I have to say that considering how active the 2012 Reissues thread is, I do find it a little odd that there doesn't seem to be much curiosity about what's popping up on Spotify, particularly with the albums that aren't out yet.

i think judging from some of the reactions i am getting a lot of them don't know what it's about, someone just called it a paid for radio service which it is not:-) think we are dealing with a load of dinosaurs here, if Zappa was alive he would have embraced itunes and spotify years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:02 am 

mistrijah wrote:
i think judging from some of the reactions i am getting a lot of them don't know what it's about, someone just called it a paid for radio service which it is not:-) think we are dealing with a load of dinosaurs here, if Zappa was alive he would have embraced itunes and spotify years ago.

It's unfortunate that some of his family members didn't feel the same way. :|
I'm quite glad to see that they've changed their ways though! :)

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:13 pm 

The version of Sheik Yerbouti on Spotify has the full unedited ending for "I'm So Cute." Interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:39 pm 

mistrijah wrote:
madcow1515 wrote:

It is a pay for listening internet radio station. It subverts your abilltiy to freely listen to music. If you stop paying are you still able to listen? I think not. The people who shun those services do so out of informed choice, not blind ignorance which is what you implied. I, for one, prefer to purchase music on whatever medium I can afford and listen to it as much as I want without having to pay for it ever again. I only spend money to upgrade equipment or purchase more LPs or CDs. If I want to listen to music on my portable player I rip them from CD to flac and away I go. No loss, no compression, no change to the music, no more $ spent, no WiFi needed. A "pay per listen" model is designed to extract more money from people. It may be the way everything is headed but that doesn't make it better or right.
Those of us to whom you refer to as "dinosaurs" truly grew up with this technology. We understand where it came from, how it was made, and how it should be. Newbies only understand "how it is". Do you even know who Dennis Richie was? Now there's a dinosaur! How 'bout Bill Gates, he and I dropped out of different colleges together. Steve Jobs? He was no spring chicken.
But, I digress. Please explain how an internet service that you pay monthly for the privledge of listening to music is not a pay for service internet radio station??? :?
The only one of those services that was around for long that wasn't was Napster and it's long gone.

~w

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:40 pm 

madcow1515 wrote:
The version of Sheik Yerbouti on Spotify has the full unedited ending for "I'm So Cute." Interesting.

Never heard 8) on Mp3 Thank Fuck :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:55 pm 

justw wrote:
It is a pay for listening internet radio station.

You still have not enlightened us with why Spotify should offer free music to the masses and how they could afford to do so. I'd love to hear that part! :mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:01 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
justw wrote:
It is a pay for listening internet radio station.

You still have not enlightened us with why Spotify should offer free music to the masses and how they could afford to do so.
How About Copyright Dumb FUCK :mrgreen:
UMe Baby :?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:05 pm 

justw wrote:
mistrijah wrote:
madcow1515 wrote:

It is a pay for listening internet radio station. It subverts your abilltiy to freely listen to music. If you stop paying are you still able to listen? I think not. The people who shun those services do so out of informed choice, not blind ignorance which is what you implied. I, for one, prefer to purchase music on whatever medium I can afford and listen to it as much as I want without having to pay for it ever again. I only spend money to upgrade equipment or purchase more LPs or CDs. If I want to listen to music on my portable player I rip them from CD to flac and away I go. No loss, no compression, no change to the music, no more $ spent, no WiFi needed. A "pay per listen" model is designed to extract more money from people. It may be the way everything is headed but that doesn't make it better or right.
Those of us to whom you refer to as "dinosaurs" truly grew up with this technology. We understand where it came from, how it was made, and how it should be. Newbies only understand "how it is". Do you even know who Dennis Richie was? Now there's a dinosaur! How 'bout Bill Gates, he and I dropped out of different colleges together. Steve Jobs? He was no spring chicken.
But, I digress. Please explain how an internet service that you pay monthly for the privledge of listening to music is not a pay for service internet radio station??? :?
The only one of those services that was around for long that wasn't was Napster and it's long gone.

~w

each to there own, but i refuse to buy any more pieces of plastic, i already own over 2'000 records (vinyl) and quite a few hundred CD's, i don't see the need for ME to buy them anymore, if something special comes out on vinyl i will buy it but not on CD..

as far as i am concerned a radio station is where they choose what to play and i listen without choice, but on spotify i choose the artist and then which album of theres i want to listen to, i don't have any wi\fi issues and can always log in an listen, but if i had connection problems then i can listen to what i want in offline mode...

as far as the price is concerned i only pay £5 a month which comes to £60 per year, which is around $94 per year, now how much will 60 plus CD's cost me again?