Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: zappa on spotify
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:18 pm 

Quote:
if something special comes out on vinyl i will buy it but not on CD..
MP3 Though free :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:19 pm 

justw wrote:
It is a pay for listening internet radio station. It subverts your abilltiy to freely listen to music. If you stop paying are you still able to listen? I think not. The people who shun those services do so out of informed choice, not blind ignorance which is what you implied. I, for one, prefer to purchase music on whatever medium I can afford and listen to it as much as I want without having to pay for it ever again. I only spend money to upgrade equipment or purchase more LPs or CDs. If I want to listen to music on my portable player I rip them from CD to flac and away I go. No loss, no compression, no change to the music, no more $ spent, no WiFi needed. A "pay per listen" model is designed to extract more money from people. It may be the way everything is headed but that doesn't make it better or right.

I don't really understand the problem with this. It's basically a really affordable way to sample new music without (completely) ripping off artists. Do you also hate Netflix?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:27 pm 

mistrijah wrote:
each to there own, but i refuse to buy any more pieces of plastic, i already own over 2'000 records (vinyl) and quite a few hundred CD's, i don't see the need for ME to buy them anymore, if something special comes out on vinyl i will buy it but not on CD..

as far as i am concerned a radio station is where they choose what to play and i listen without choice, but on spotify i choose the artist and then which album of theres i want to listen to, i don't have any wi\fi issues and can always log in an listen, but if i had connection problems then i can listen to what i want in offline mode...

as far as the price is concerned i only pay £5 a month which comes to £60 per year, which is around $94 per year, now how much will 60 plus CD's cost me again?

I'd agree. I would never call (and have never until this thread heard of calling) Spotify a radio station. 100%: radio plays what they want to play. Spotify allows you to listen to what you want to listen to. It's the "Netflix" of music. Better yet, you can listen for free as well but then you are subjected to brief commercials and less-superior sound. Justw's argument that Spotify free, if I haven't enunciated this already, makes no logical sense.

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:01 pm 

Quote:
I don't really understand the problem with this. It's basically a really affordable way to sample new music without (completely) ripping off artists. Do you also hate Netflix?

I can't see paying for mp3 quality audio. Even if I had no issues with the quality of the audio you have to keep paying to listen, just doesn't make sense to me. I am accustomed to only paying for my music once. (well unless I keep buying the latest remaster) There again, to me I am paying for the CD or the medium that the music is stored on. The music in that respect is FREE. I can play that CD till it turns to dust and never have to pay for it again.
Sporgify is much like Netflix and any other pay-per-view movie service. Hate Netflix? Never used it. I have no porblems with it though as the transport methods don't screw up the video beyond my expectations and there are few movies I care to see a second time, I'm an audiophile not a videophile. I view maybe one movie a month. Not enough to invest in a monthly service. I have a small collection of 25 or so on DVDs but I'm not a movie fan.
I'm not sure I said I hate Sporgify. (I might but I don't think I stated that) I simply pointed out that maybe a certain person was calling out a post that seemed to be promoting a Pay for Music Service, thus the term SPAM. I now wish I had said nothing as it has caused more attention and posts to that thread.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:08 pm 

You're entitled to feel that way. Just because you feel that way doesn't mean others aren't entitled to feel differently.
I could sneak a 320kbps mp3 into your rotation and if you weren't thinking about it, you wouldn't blink. :roll:

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:19 pm 

justw wrote:
Quote:

I'm not sure I said I hate Sporgify. (I might but I don't think I stated that) I simply pointed out that maybe a certain person was calling out a post that seemed to be promoting a Pay for Music Service, thus the term SPAM. I now wish I had said nothing as it has caused more attention and posts to that thread.

I was not promoting spotify, what i was doing was trying to get people to see that Frank Zappa's new CD's are available to stream there, and this being a Zappa forum i would have thought would have been the best place for that, what i was hoping was for people to maybe go in and listen to the CD's that HAVE NOT BEEN RELEASED YET and maybe start talking about those releases without having to wait another month for them, its not nice being accused of spam when my intentions were far from it....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:25 pm 

mistrijah wrote:
I was not promoting spotify, what i was doing was trying to get people to see that Frank Zappa's new CD's are available to stream there, and this being a Zappa forum i would have thought would have been the best place for that, what i was hoping was for people to maybe go in and listen to the CD's that HAVE NOT BEEN RELEASED YET and maybe start talking about those releases without having to wait another month for them, its not nice being accused of spam when my intentions were far from it....

I hear you, mistrijah. I know many others locally that stay far away from this forum because they're tired of being treated like shit for asking simple questions, etc. There are some nice folks around here, you just have to do some filtering. :mrgreen:

You had a lot of nerve directing people to listen to unreleased Zappa audio on a Zappa forum, ya know..... :roll: :mrgreen:
Some people would rather sink the ship than deal with fonts/layouts/formats that don't fit their specific needs. It's pretty annoying but what can ya do? :wink:

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:31 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
mistrijah wrote:

I hear you, mistrijah. I know many others locally that stay far away from this forum because they're tired of being treated like shit for asking simple questions, etc. There are some nice folks around here, you just have to do some filtering. :mrgreen:

You had a lot of nerve directing people to listen to unreleased Zappa audio on a Zappa forum, ya know..... :roll: :mrgreen:
Some people would rather sink the ship than deal with fonts/layouts/formats that don't fit their specific needs. It's pretty annoying but what can ya do? :wink:

thanks for the tip, there seems to be a small bunch of people who seem to think they own the forum and everyone else is just a nuisance, how dare we intrude on them:-) then there is Trendmonger and Cleon, thats another story:-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:34 pm 

mistrijah wrote:
thanks for the tip, there seems to be a small bunch of people who seem to think they own the forum and everyone else is just a nuisance, how dare we intrude on them:-) then there is Trendmonger and Cleon, thats another story:-)

<harrumph> Hear, hear!

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:13 am 

mistrijah wrote:
blah blah blah....,
its not nice being accused of spam when my intentions were far from it....

I apologize for using the word SPAM. Having bothered to look up the official definition your post was not SPAM. I should have said:

"Perhaps a certain person is exposing a SHILL for Sporgify..."

As for OWNING the forum, you couldn't be further from the truth. I truly couldn't care less. I am the most singular, independent, self reliant, rational person you would ever know. I couldn't care less what others do or say. I make decisions based on facts and empirical data, not emotions. Nor do I care what others think about me. Not in an arrogant, hurtful way, I'm just indifferent. Rather like the old philosopher Diogenes. In hipster terms you might understand, MEH. I rarely if ever offer an opinion as, like assholes, everybody has one. I don't judge people or their opinions as we're all on the same path to an inevitable end.
Nor do I think of most people as a nuisance. We all have a single purpose for visiting this forum and have something to offer. (Even that thug CLEON has contributions) I wouldn't PLONK anyone. Just pass over their posts when you're not in the mood. When someone rattled your chain I opined that maybe he was ponting out something to you. Hell, for all I know he was just poking around trying to get a rise out of you.

Peace out,
~w

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:57 pm 

justw wrote:
mistrijah wrote:
blah blah blah....,
its not nice being accused of spam when my intentions were far from it....

I apologize for using the word SPAM. Having bothered to look up the official definition your post was not SPAM. I should have said:

"Perhaps a certain person is exposing a SHILL for Sporgify..."

As for OWNING the forum, you couldn't be further from the truth. I truly couldn't care less. I am the most singular, independent, self reliant, rational person you would ever know. I couldn't care less what others do or say. I make decisions based on facts and empirical data, not emotions. Nor do I care what others think about me. Not in an arrogant, hurtful way, I'm just indifferent. Rather like the old philosopher Diogenes. In hipster terms you might understand, MEH. I rarely if ever offer an opinion as, like assholes, everybody has one. I don't judge people or their opinions as we're all on the same path to an inevitable end.
Nor do I think of most people as a nuisance. We all have a single purpose for visiting this forum and have something to offer. (Even that thug CLEON has contributions) I wouldn't PLONK anyone. Just pass over their posts when you're not in the mood. When someone rattled your chain I opined that maybe he was ponting out something to you. Hell, for all I know he was just poking around trying to get a rise out of you.

Peace out,
~w

it all did get a bit crazy over nothing , peace to you as well...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:10 pm 

justw wrote:
I apologize for using the word SPAM.
Yeah justy go about Having a shit name and What is that avator CB had better recaption reception :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:11 pm 

Got Spotify, looked for Zappa, just covers, deleted Spotify.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:32 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:

In the US, I've only seen the new Zappa material "greyed-out" on the iPhone app. The PC and Mac installs don't have them yet (US).

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:52 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:

different people are reporting different things, one person told me they can get around 20 of the new tittles on there, so far i can only get waka/jawaka... i think its rolling out slowly....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:00 pm 

mistrijah wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

different people are reporting different things, one person told me they can get around 20 of the new tittles on there, so far i can only get waka/jawaka... i think its rolling out slowly....

Seems to be dependent on (1) region, (2) plan level (free or premium) and (3) device (Mac, PC, iPhone, Android, iPad, etc.)

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:09 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
mistrijah wrote:

Seems to be dependent on (1) region, (2) plan level (free or premium) and (3) device (Mac, PC, iPhone, Android, iPad, etc.)

Middle America, Free and PC.

Suck it, Spotify.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:53 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:

That's what I have and there's 25 playable titles on there ranging from Freak Out to the Yellow Shark. They all say 2012 on them. I wonder if the as yet un-re-released titles on here are the new versions. Need to do some listening today.

For the record, my opinion on (the free US version of) Spotify is, it's handy for trying before you buy, but the sound quality is pretty bad. Like a wet blanket over the speakers.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:07 pm 

GreenHocher wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:

That's what I have and there's 25 playable titles on there ranging from Freak Out to the Yellow Shark. They all say 2012 on them. I wonder if the as yet un-re-released titles on here are the new versions. Need to do some listening today.

For the record, my opinion on (the free US version of) Spotify is, it's handy for trying before you buy, but the sound quality is pretty bad. Like a wet blanket over the speakers.

that's because you have the free version, the sound is like that o purpose, if you had the paid for version it's ripped at 320kbs,
out of curiosity which platform are you using? i still only have one album showing (waka/jawaka)?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:17 am 

GreenHocher wrote:
that's because you have the free version, the sound is like that o purpose, if you had the paid for version it's ripped at 320kbs,
out of curiosity which platform are you using? i still only have one album showing (waka/jawaka)?

Windows 7.

Did some listening yesterday. I have all of those albums loaded into my iTunes library on that machine and Spotify is aware of that. It only let me listen to tracks that matched up with songs in my library. If the name of a track was slightly off of my iTunes version it wouldn't let me play it. It skipped those tracks.

I did some A/B between listening through Spotify and iTunes and there definitely was a difference in sound. I have a feeling though I was listening to my same local Apple lossless m4a files, rather than hearing local vs. Spotify streamed. Monday I'll detach Spotify from my local library and see what it lets me listen to...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:58 pm 

i have finally worked it out i think:-)

on amazon it shows all the Zappa albums as available for download as off the 20th August,
the only album available now is waka / jawaka, which is also the only album on Spotify.

The remaining Albums will appear on spotify the same time that they will be available as a download on amazon - i think :-)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:23 am 

Hey justw,
A friend of mine who lurks these pages but refuses to post wanted to clarify some things about Spotify for you. I pointed out to you several times how it's preposterous to demand that Spotify offers their entire library to you at no cost and completely lossless.

justw wrote:
"It is a pay for listening internet radio station. It subverts your abilltiy to freely listen to music. If you stop paying are you still able to listen? I think not. The people who shun those services do so out of informed choice"

My friend brought up a great point here saying, like I did, that it can be absolutely free if you want, you're just subjected to an ad every 6-8 songs, maybe 8-10. Who cares? Sometimes the ads are actually about <gasp> music! He brought up another great point about radio when it was free. Remember how they played a shit ton of ads? Hello! Not to mention, they compressed the signal to shit as well.

My friend also pointed out, again, it's not radio but a depot of albums that you can listen to WHAT YOU WANT - not some pre-determined or algorithm-driven playlist.

His final point: Again -radio station means SOMEONE ELSE picks the tunes. Not so with Spotify - YOU ARE IN CHARGE. the Free app is great - and a MERE $10/month, which you make back in minutes not buying some CD or other -- WHICH YOU COULD COPY ONTO A CD for your car, without much effort...

We tackled some of these already in the thread, but I "felt it my duty" to express his thoughts/beliefs on the subject as well as bitching about Spotify charging money for their service is just absurd.

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:01 am 

Spot on, Penguin. I understand that mp3s and streaming services aren't everyone's cup of tea, but to be actively outraged by them just seems silly to me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:07 am 

I have seen people from Europe in my Facebook feed listening to Zappa albums on Spotify, but I'm curious about those of you in the United States who have reported seeing Zappa albums on Spotify. I'm a U.S. person and I don't see any on there. Are you all certain that Spotify isn't just pulling the files from local content on your computer/device? Unless you manually uncheck the option that says "Show tracks from these sources," Spotify will grab from any local library it can find, including iTunes, Windows Media Player or any folder with a bunch of music files on it.

I'm not trying to accuse any of you of being dummies. In fact, this feature had me fooled for a long time myself. Just trying to figure out what the deal is. Thanks.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:09 am 

this is weird loads of albums are on spotify but not under Frank Zappa, you can get them by searching the mothers of invention...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next