Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:04 am 

HOLY MOTHER OF ALL FUCK!! This is how you do it right!!!

Larks' Tongues In Aspic Boxset

The long-awaited 40th anniversary edition of the legendary Larks’ Tongues In Aspic quintet will be released on October 15th.

One of the key recordings in the King Crimson canon, and the only formal studio recording by the LTIA quintet, the 40th Anniversary Edition will be released in three separate editions to satisfy the merely curious and the expectant collector.

1. CD/DVD-A: CD: New stereo mix + selected audio extras – all new content.
DVD-A featuring 5.1 new surround mix, original & new stereo mixes in hi-res stereo, a full album of alt mixes by Steven Wilson & more than 30 minutes of unseen footage of the band live in the studio.

2. Limited edition Boxed Set:13CDs, 1DVD-A, 1Blu-Ray in 12” box with booklet & memorabilia. DVD-A content as above, Blu-Ray content as per DVD-A with further hi-res stereo material – all presented in DTS Master audio, 4CDs of studio content including CD of session reels featuring the first recorded takes of all pieces on the album, 1CD live in the studio, 8CDs of live audio restored bootlegs & soundboard recordings + 36 page booklet with an extensive new interview with Robert Fripp, notes by King Crimson biographer Sid Smith, album sleeve print, concert ticket replica (with code for further concert download) & band photo postcards – limited to initial orders, one pressing only to a worldwide maximum limit of 7,000 units.

3. 2CD: Complete original & new mixes with selected audio extras.
Whilst the clip of the quintet performing LTIA pt1 during the Bremen Beat Club recording has been available on the internet for several years in varying degrees of quality, there has been some fevered speculation as to whether the full concert would ever see the light of day.

Though it's been a long time coming, the full video of David Cross, Robert Fripp, John Wetton, Bill Bruford and Jamie Muir will now be seen in full. We hope all Crimheads agree that the waiting to get this in the best possible quality will have been worth while.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:46 am 

Will pre order 8)

http://www.dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=3916

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:08 am 

Oh boy is this great! I love King crimson.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:33 am 

One of my favorite albums ever.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:20 pm 

Been looking forward to this one. I have the CD/DVD-A versions of ITCOTKC, Red, SaBB, & Indiscipline. I think I'm good w/ just the standard set w/ the complete Beat Club video content and a few bonus audio cuts.
I have the three KCCC discs that were released of this band. I don't need to have every audience recorded show of this lineup, which is what alot of those DGM downloads are, shitty audience tapes. With the previous DVD-A reissues, they just took the best of the Collector's Club live stuff and added it each release as extra content.

Sure the lost studio tracks would be interesting to hear a few times, but it's like when the Stooges had that 8-disc Funhouse set on Rhino Handmade. Even Henry Rollins(who's the biggest Stooges fan), said something along the lines of "the album as released was perfect, they cut all the right stuff out".
DGM did an "obsessive completist" reissue of the first album too, which of course sold out. I didn't see any need for that either.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:50 pm 

the cd/dvd-a looks tasty, when does this hit the stores ¿

3rd row, dead center

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:37 am 

Gave it a few, quick seconds thought, then went ahead and pre-ordered the BIG box.
C'mon mid-October!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:55 am 

just plain doug wrote:
Gave it a few, quick seconds thought, then went ahead and pre-ordered the BIG box.
C'mon mid-October!

$120.00 isn't bad at all for all that content.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:04 pm 

i have all the 40th anniversary cd/dvd-a's to date and will def get this one, but not so sure about the big box. at any rate, bless you steven wilson.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:17 pm 

speaking of steven wilson, here's an excerpt from an interview he gave earlier this year regarding the remixing projects he's done:

SW: For 20-30 years, classic progressive music was incredibly unpopular and unfashionable. I was talking to Steve Hackett about this. He feels for the first time that people actually appreciate the work he did in the ‘70s. He feels it’s only in the last three or four years that he’s begun to feel people value that work as his greatest achievement. For 30 years, he was told it was shit, that he was a dinosaur, and that the music was worthless and no-one was ever going to want to listen to that hippie stuff again. I cannot underestimate how these guys were brainwashed. Robert Fripp and Ian Anderson feel the same. They were brainwashed by the media into thinking everything they did in the ‘70s was worthless junk. It’s almost like abused child syndrome. It took a great amount of reassurance for them to begin to believe that people love that stuff and that it’s the work that their reputation will ultimately rest on.

I experienced that with Robert when we worked on the remix of King Crimson’s Lizard. He said “Why do you want to do this Steven? No-one likes the record. Everyone hates it, including me.” I said “I’m going to change people’s minds.” I’m so proud to say that happened. One of the greatest moments of my life is when that album was reissued and received astonishing reviews. David Fricke in Rolling Stone said “Lizard is revealed to be the greatest King Crimson album of all.” Mojo gave it five out of five stars. Robert was astonished. And I was vindicated because I really believed all those records that had been ignored and sidelined for years, mainly by the media, but also by fans, were really coming of age. In a sense, they were so far ahead of their time, and now is their time. They sound extraordinary. This is really key for me.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:02 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
...This is how you do it right... / $120.00 isn't bad ...
[agreed]x2
on 04-17-2012 tristero wrote:
The 5.1 mix for Larks Tongues has been done for a while, and it's excellent according to Fripp, but it sounds like they're still working on gathering up the bonus material.

DGM recently put out a call for all available bootlegs with amnesty promised for those that come forth

r.fripp, in his diary, wrote:
Now into listening mode: a special CD for inclusion in the about-to-be-becoming fabbo Larks’ Tongues In Aspic – The Awful Truth: Unvarnished And Newly Varnished In Stereo & Surround, Glued & Unglued Box Set. The special CD is something like a making of the LTIA album documentary. Working title: Keep That One, Nick! Conversations and banter between the players in Command Studios with each other and Nick the engineer.

David mentioned to Declan Panegyric that we had 19 hours of multi-tracks from the early-1973 Command Studios LTIA recording sessions. What might we find within? And in this simple manner David commited himself to producing an additional CD for the box – in one week! I am not the best person to judge the value of KC out-takes and in-process commentary, although some of the exchanges between the players are very funny, and Jamie’s arsenal of kitchenware and baking pans is a triumph of inspired clatterage. But it was suggested that my ears should know the joy before the CD was committed to inclusion in The Rapidly-Growing LTIA Box Of Wonder, Terror And Bliss Arising.

Now moving through various takes of LTIA Part One, the basic drum and bass tracks. Wonderful clanking of Jamie and his kitchen implements. The guitarist is not doing well, but he is playing to support the rhythm section, anticipating his final parts in overdubs.

And, nerdy info, this is being typed on Mountain Lion, the new Mac OS.

15.59 Easy Money being werned and squirtled, with an alternative guitar part. When we had chosen the main backing track, Nick Engineer made a mistake and erased about five and a half bars of Bill’s drums. Bill heroically went back in and played blind to replace his part, a considerable achievement in pre-clicktrack days.

16.18 Book Of Saturday and the intro to Exiles (Mantra from the beginning of Travel Weary Capricorn of 1969 Crim).

16.20 Talking Drum.

16.54 Overall, an interesting alternative take on the process. Rather like uncovering earlier outlines and rubbings-out beneath a classic painting; or, David’s analogy, sketches of the final work. For me, I’m happy to look at the completed picture and don’t need to see what lies beneath the surface of the canvas that I knew as blank. But the Sidney Smith is in a lather of fan furore, Declan is a happy boy, so I am fine to concur with this history-of-the-process.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:08 am 

just plain doug wrote:
C'mon mid-October!
Where is this mystical preorder? Why haven't dmg notified me?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:13 am 

polydigm wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
C'mon mid-October!

It was announced on the DGM FaceBook page. I also got an announcement from Burning Shed (in England).

Go here, and scroll down 6 albums.

https://www.dgmlive.com/shop/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:15 am 

Unfortunately this could cost me 100% over the price because of taxes (as any international order above U$ 50,00)...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:34 am 

polydigm wrote:

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/Store ... oducts.asp

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:44 pm 

sleeping in a jar wrote:
SW: For 20-30 years, classic progressive music was incredibly unpopular and unfashionable. I was talking to Steve Hackett about this. He feels for the first time that people actually appreciate the work he did in the ‘70s.

Actually this is incorrect, and Steve Hackett knows it. At least one show in this world, in Santa Barbara, and Steve went through there a couple of times, btw, was playing this and treating the music with the credit and appreciation that they deserved. And Steve knows that Guy played "The Lamb" in its entirety sight unseen the first day he saw it ... and the station could not figure out which song to play yet! ... and then Guy also played "Voyage of the Acolyte" in its entirety. I have tapes of that show saved that prove it .. Steve! THERE WERE ... many people out there to whom the media was a ruse that should not have been trusted ... but everyone called him, and even me nowadays, a hassle to deal with ... because I have no "credibility" ... and this has been the biggest fight I have had with the Progressive Archives board, who refuse to appreciate articles like mine that are trying to help put ART in its proper perspective.

The really hard part? ... folks like Robert, or Steve, and others, were too busy being "stars" and "dinosaur's" to stop by and give these folks like Guy a very appreciative handshake and pat on the back so many of the other megalomaniac radio station owners would not have been so abusive and pathetic with Guy ... to the point where today he says stupid things like ... "I've made so many enemies" ... when in reality, the folks around him, thought he was a jerk playing all this crap for 25 years ... think about it ... surviving the insults for 25 years in Santa Barbara ... a place known for Channel Diesel or Channell Federale! Others did stop ... Bryan Ferry, Mike Oldfield, Prunella Scales, Gary Green, Robin Williamson, Trish Butler ... but some, specially those around the really big bands, were too busy and tied up to say hello ... well, Bill Bruford did!

sleeping in a jar wrote:
He feels it’s only in the last three or four years that he’s begun to feel people value that work as his greatest achievement. For 30 years, he was told it was shit, that he was a dinosaur, and that the music was worthless and no-one was ever going to want to listen to that hippie stuff again. I cannot underestimate how these guys were brainwashed. Robert Fripp and Ian Anderson feel the same. They were brainwashed by the media into thinking everything they did in the ‘70s was worthless junk. It’s almost like abused child syndrome. It took a great amount of reassurance for them to begin to believe that people love that stuff and that it’s the work that their reputation will ultimately rest on.

It didn't start there!

The whole media insult thing started with Jimi Hendrix and one of the worst fudgers that we kiss out there named Scorcheese! Maybe he was too stoned to know the difference, and I will accept that one, but he is not intelligent enough to talk about it, and only does things for money ... he should go back and revisit the work he did at Woodstock and talk about it ... but he's not man enough ... and will instead go do a movie on the Rolling Stones, because he knows he can cash in a quick million ... for his pet movies!

Jimi played the national anthem in front of trash ... and just a few people. I'm positive that he did this intentionally, because he knew how important the music was to him and others, specially in Europe, with Germany, France, England having massive experimental and new musics running around that the American labels did not like ... and continuously trashed as "not rock'n'roll" or some other sublime term ... to show their intelligence in music! We do NOT know the difference, or wish to know that difference, lest it makes us feel low and ... well ... we screwed up ... but I certainly do not think that the whole generation were just a bunch of kids having fun, and the music was not important! You know that is total bullshit ... and Foreign Sons was buried as quick as it could be ... and replaced by the commercially friendly ... have another hit! ... almost as good as making sure you put flowers in your hair when you go to SF! The meaning of the whole thing was corrupted and replaced by a plastic sign and dove that didn't mean a thing ... to anyone! ... we gave up! We quit! ... what do you think that scream by Roger Daltrey in Who Are You is all about?

That was the first insult ... and none of us is smart enough to stand up and say ... thanks Jimi ... and MAKE DAMN SURE that the important music is not just a hit ... and survives ... but no ... like the majority of folks here ... it's just fun talk about the guitar and the star ... no one would be here if it was just for the music itself, and it was a "serious" discussion ... which is another forum that I have requested to be added here ... but it won't happen because Gail, Dweezil, Moon and the Trust do not know what "serious" music was, and ABOVE ALL how many of these people were in it because they were serious about the music ... it was not just another song for radio!

sleeping in a jar wrote:
I experienced that with Robert when we worked on the remix of King Crimson’s Lizard. He said “Why do you want to do this Steven? No-one likes the record. Everyone hates it, including me.” I said “I’m going to change people’s minds.”

Sometimes the person behind it might not be the best critic of his/her own work, and it takes the hands of a magician to make it work better and help him/her see something else they did not see then.

Almost any of the things that Steven has done in production have all been faultless and incredible. But what this really tells you is that the folks that recorded this, and put it on an LP, did not have the ability, desire, or care ... to see the music as better and more important than just antoher rock song in the garage!

This is a design thing and idea/concept that the person behind the board/controls can help the band with ... PERIOD ... what do you think that George Martin was about? Or Tom Dowd? ... and many of these cheap folks -- specially today with those DAW's -- are just that ... over rated studio folks that are not worth their dime or time!

sleeping in a jar wrote:
“Lizard is revealed to be the greatest King Crimson album of all.” Mojo gave it five out of five stars. Robert was astonished. And I was vindicated because I really believed all those records that had been ignored and sidelined for years, mainly by the media, but also by fans, were really coming of age. In a sense, they were so far ahead of their time, and now is their time. They sound extraordinary. This is really key for me.

As I like to say all the time ... "power in the hands of fools is an accident..." and that person ended up wrecking a car! In the case of music, you kill it's spirit ... and I'm sorry ... Steven saw in it the wonder and the sound that I have seen all this time inside my minds eye when listening to these things ... they still shine ... they still color the vision ... they still (above all) ... live ... and refuse to die. And someone making sure that the whole thing is dressed even better ... all I can say is ... thank you Steven for helping vindicate what many of us have been talking about for 40 years ... that we're still ignored.

I will post a copy of this to the King Crimson thing ... and hopefully it gets accepted. Will not post this at the PT website as it is not user friendly and they do not have a User Forum. Will not post this at the Progressive Archives board as they do not like people that do not kiss the commercial model of top ten ... the original thing we fought against 45 years ago! But it doesn't matter to them if the fans don't think it's progressive, and is prog instead!

But it is exhausting to continually fight for the spirit of life, when some folks around me don't see it, and even in a board like this ... one does not get the credit and appreciation for the words said ... and while I love Robert's work, he is not the only one that has great work out there that is still not appreciated and is ignored!

There is a lot more work out there that is ignored, than work that is appreciated!

But thanks, Steven, all the same ... for having an appreciation ... for work that others do not ... and I would like to state that I loved your talk to Klaus Schulze as well, but I really wonder if it was that DVD special of him talking about a small part of his piece and how to clean it up ... that helped define who and what you are ... the excellent producer and technician with music in your hands ... and you deserve a pat on the back for this work.

And we should not forget your own work and with your band ... priceless is probably the only thing we can say ... maybe one day we can even have something done to Amon Duul 2 and Guru Guru ... and some of the other outstanding groups that made a point of doing what Jimi showed us to do that most did not have the courage to do ... stand up and say it!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:42 pm 

Hi,

There is one other bit here ... that goes with the discussion about the media ... and it is in a movie that pretty much hints that these things will happen.

You must watch "The Trip" documentary on Ken Kesey ... it is unbelievable and so incredible ... but no one is going to watch it, because we're children of the media and all we know is the media ... we're not capable of finding things without the media or "someone else" saying so! ... we're the basis for the biggest socialist entity of all time!

It's a comment about Nurse Ratchet ... and it is something so subtle that we miss it all the time ... and in school we were told that she was a bad person and evil, when we read this book, and the movie made the same fatal mistake! ... the Nurse Ratchet won ... but the subtle bit in it is ... when Ken says ... she's not evil ... she's just doing her job and what she doesn't have a choice to do ... it's her only living and this is her job ... the society is the evil ... not her!

THIS is what a lot of socialist governments do out there ... always make it look like some individuals are against the "majority" or the "public sentiment", or "politically incorrect", and this is one of the most important parts of this discussion ... we do not have the ability to find out what is true or false anymore or who the liar and the honest person is ... and ObeWan Kenobe ... would say ... correctly ... that ... who is the greater fool? ... you or I ... but after that ... all the movies were just commerical money makers ... the words had no meanign anymore ... but the media said these were good and we believe it. Today all those hero movies are good ... and htey make money and all of the media says it's good ... no where will you find people saying ... wow ... pushing this crap! ... keep the audience stupid and automated to watch the things that you give them ... or as it happens in some cultures in this worl ... just get rid of the opponent in a public execution ... gads ... John Cleese will be selling tickets and Neil Innes will be playing the music! Over there is the vat with all the excrement, btw!

Not many folks will stand here and appreciate Robert Fripp and his work. I have always said that in all his solo work, and friends that he worked with, he was far more progressive than any of the work that he did with King Crimson, who at times sounded more ... finicky and composed ... and like a prima donna cat to my ears ... specially in the Adrian Belew years, that some folks think is really cool ... Elephant Talk is fun, but not ITCOTKC or Lizard, or LTIA at all ... never will be! But this is where sometimes people worry about "serious music" and ... "fun music" and that one of the reasons why Robert was disappointed in it all, is because "no one liked it" ... because it was too serious for him, and no one understood that ... and then he had to put together a "more fun" KC, so he could have a decent dinner and buy gasoline for his car to get to a concert.

I can't blame Robert for that one at all

The media doesn't like serious stuff because it questions their knowledge and understanding ... but fun stuff? ... we can all handle that ... specially if it is put together by the state and the money goes to the state ... keep that money coming for those heroes!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:12 pm 

sleeping in a jar wrote:
speaking of steven wilson, here's an excerpt from an interview he gave earlier this year regarding the remixing projects he's done:
I experienced that with Robert when we worked on the remix of King Crimson’s Lizard. He said “Why do you want to do this Steven? No-one likes the record. Everyone hates it, including me.” ...

As fans of the first 2 albums, when "Lizard" was originally released, 2 highschool friends, and I, each bought a copy.
I felt it was ok, but it just didn't click like the first two. A few years later I bought it on Japanese HalfSpeed master, and liked it alot more.
Ron liked it more than I, but then, he's a guitarist, and appreciates how it's being played as well as the sound.
Paul played it once, put an intentional hack onto the vinyl, so it would skip, and then returned it for a different record.
It's not an easy album to love.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:31 am 

Happy Family is worth the price of the lp

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:56 pm 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
Happy Family is worth the price of the lp

Also, the Bolero!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:31 pm 

Moshkito wrote:
Elephant Talk is fun, but not ITCOTKC or Lizard, or LTIA at all ... never will be!

i disagree. for me, discipline stands alongside itc and lizard...as does islands, red, and the construkction of light. yes, the construkction of light.

ltia stands alone.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:01 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
C'mon mid-October!

Fuck Yeah! $120.00 for a 40 year old album re-release. (OK, I'm ducking and covering now - let me know when the onslaught is over - sorry I couldn't resist :wink: ).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:31 am 

KUIII wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
C'mon mid-October!

Fuck Yeah! $120.00 for a 40 year old album re-release. (OK, I'm ducking and covering now - let me know when the onslaught is over - sorry I couldn't resist :wink: ).

It costs money to stay ahead of the Jones'.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:31 am 

Wonderful to see Crim getting some love over at the FZ board!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:00 pm 

Thanks Doug, but I did find it eventually. They've got some stupid bug in their system that enables me to log on and see my last order but when I go to the shop acts as if I'm not logged on, so I had to create a new account there. That's just ridiculous and totally confusing. Anyway, my preorder is in, so I made it.