Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:49 am 

Is there a way any of you can possibly make a YouTube video showing the reissues and talking about them a bit? If so that would be great, and if there are already some posted links would be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:35 pm 

Freak Out!: Same as the old CDs. The vinyl mix is on MoFo (either version).
Absolutely Free: A huge upgrade and a new transfer; the tape shows its age, but whatever. No more reverb!
We're Only In It For the Money: Same as the 1995 CD.
Lumpy Gravy: Same as the 1995 CD (with the mono glitch, unfortunately).
Cruising with Ruben and the Jets: Same as the old CDs. The vinyl mix is on Greasy Love Songs.
Uncle Meat: Same as the old CDs (exception: those with the old Zappa Records disc will find this to be a slight upgrade, but any old Ryko would be the same upgrade). The vinyl version has not been on CD.
Hot Rats: Reverts to the original vinyl mix for the first time--essential. But keep your old disc for the remix.
Burnt Weeny Sandwich: New remaster; eliminates the reverb and restores the "Little House" intro. Get it!
Weasels Ripped My Flesh: New remaster, fixing (among other things) the bad right channel. Your old disc (any) is essential for some slightly extended versions.
Chungas's Revenge: New remaster. Removes the digital reverb and fixes the right channel. Great!
Fillmore East, 1971: New remaster. Removes reverb and echo and restores "Willie the Pimp Pt. 2."
Just Another Band from LA: New remaster. Removes reverb and fixes the stereo spectrum.
200 Motels: N/A; not yet available (nor obviously planned for release).
Over-Nite Sensation: We're not sure yet.
Apostrophe: Reverts to the original stereo mix (all non-Au20 CDs are made from the quad mix with added processing). May be the Au20 transfer or may be a new digital transfer.
Roxy and Elsewhere: Same as the old CDs. Find a first-version Barking Pumpkin or a Zappa Records CD for the original mix of "Cheepnis," which is replaced here by a remix.
One Size Fits All: Probably reverts to the original vinyl version (no added reverb), but we're not sure yet; this may be the Au20 master.
Bongo Fury: Not sure yet, but probably reverts to the LP version (no added reverb, fixed right channel).
Zoot Allures: New remaster, probably; no more reverb and with the intro to "Disco Boy" restored.
Zappa In New York: iTunes samples suggest that this is the same as the previous CDs.
Studio Tan: We're not sure yet, but scuttlebutt suggests a new master.
Sleep Dirt: New remaster. NO VOCALS, nor any Chad Wackerman. Keep your old disc for the "Hutchentoot" vocal tracks and the Regyptian remix.
Sheik Yerbouti: New remaster (we think) that fixes right-channel problems and restores I'm So Cute.
Orchestral Favorites: Not sure yet.
Joe's Garage: Not sure yet.
Tinsel-Town Rebellion: Alleged to be a new master that is more faithful to the original vinyl than the 1998 version. This may be definitive, but we're awaiting a listen.
Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar: Uncertain. Reverts to two CDs.
You Are What You Is: Alleged to be a new master that is more faithful to the original vinyl (e.g. through segues rather than edits) than the 1998 version. This may be definitive, but we're awaiting a listen.
Ship Arriving Too Late to Save a Drowning Witch: No info.
The Man From Utopia: Clips suggest that this is the same as the remix on the old, non-EMI CDs.
Baby Snakes: Uncertain.
LSO: This was a digital recording and is probably the same as the 1995 CD. Earlier CDs contained a different mix of the relevant performances.
The Perfect Stranger: Not sure yet.
Them Or Us: Conditional. Fixes the right-channel audio problems and reverts to the first version of "Them Or Us," but we don't know how it compares to the old Ryko/EMI CDs. Probably worth an upgrade for most people, but hang on to your old disc for the extended "Them Or Us."
Thing-Fish: Signs suggest that this is the most "recent" version of the album, so you don't need to purchase this if you have any disc released after 1990.
Francesco Zappa: Unsure.
Mothers of Prevention: Unsure, but unlikely to be any different (from the 1995, at least; earlier versions were slightly different).
Does Humor Belong in Music: Probably the same as the 1995 disc, but with the 1980s cover. Those with only the old EMI disc may want to grab it, as it's a different mix.
Jazz from Hell: Unsure, but unlikely to be any different.
Guitar: Unsure, but unlikely to be any different.
"Stage" Series: Unsure, but unlikely to be any different.
Broadway the Hard Way: Unsure, but unlikely to be any different.
Best Band: Unsure, but unlikely to be any different (although the old Barking Pumpkin and 1995 Ryko had different EQ).
Make a Jazz Noise Here: Unsure, but unlikely to be any different.
Playground Psychotics: Unsure, but unlikely to be any different.
Ahead of Their Time: Unsure, but unlikely to be any different.
The Yellow Shark: Unsure, but unlikely to be any different.
Have I Offended Someone?: Unsure, but unlikely to be any different.
The Lost Episodes: Unsure, but unlikely to be any different.
Mystery Disc: Unsure, but unlikely to be any different.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:45 pm 

Bobby wrote:
[…]

Source: http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/vinylvscds/2012hotpoop.html

Thinman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:18 am 

Thinman wrote:

I guess they must think Grand Wazoo and Waka/Jawaka are filler albums.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:35 am 

When I receive mine I will make some videos about them so stay tuned!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:35 am 

just plain doug wrote:
Thinman wrote:

I guess they must think Grand Wazoo and Waka/Jawaka are filler albums.

Seriously, how the hell do you leave those out?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:35 pm 

Got Hot Rats and Weasels Ripped My Flesh today from Amazon. Very disappointed these are in cheap ugly plastic jewel boxes. Why??!!

Other than that, the booklets are supreme. The musicians are listed for both Hot Rats and Weasels Ripped My Flesh. Hurrah!!! This is information that should have been included in the first place.

Will be ordering more. Amazon Prime is superb - ordered Sunday afternoon with free 2 day shipping (as a Prime member) They arrived by courier on Monday afternoon! Yay!!! :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:44 pm 

Thanx for the info Bobby! 8) :) No Grand Wazoo!?! One of my favs,hope we see Waka/Jawaka too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:24 pm 

Stuio Tan sounds great!!

Listen to LEMME TAKE YOU TO THE BEACH as a primer.
It SPARKLES!!!!

Get rid of the RYKO's!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:33 am 

jeddy wrote:
Stuio Tan sounds great!!

Listen to LEMME TAKE YOU TO THE BEACH as a primer.
It SPARKLES!!!!

Get rid of the RYKO's!!

That album smokes! Gotta buy that one! And Sleep Dirt!